• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 demo - 11/27/2012 (JAP PSN)

Stark

Banned
^Partially joking! I'm fine with Kiryu. :p

I've never played 3/4's demo. What does it usually consist of? just fighting or is there any of the side content?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Segata Sanshiro and Ryo Hazuki at the top of the polls atm.

It's already over

The characters that will be submitted are Hatsune Miku, Segata Sanshiro and Ryo Hazuki as they've already cleared the requirement by miles before any other character.

I voted for Bayonetta but whatever. Wasn't going to buy that game anyways

axjjj4.gif

Ok now I want to play this if they have super moves

Kinda burnt out on the franchise though

That guy is surely dead by now.

Nope. Look at the health bar. He survives

AlexBasch

I was interested on grabbing Yakuza 4 but I'm curious, is it mandatory to play the previous games to understand the newer ones correctly, or are those somewhat "standalone"?

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
This demo better still be up when I'm able to get on my PS3 in December. I'm salivating at the thought of getting time with my sweet, sweet Yakuza.

I was interested on grabbing Yakuza 4 but I'm curious, is it mandatory to play the previous games to understand the newer ones correctly, or are those somewhat "standalone"?
Yakuza 4 is the absolute best starting point (outside of the first game, of course), and even if you choose to skip the rather extensive recap videos, you can enjoy Yakuza 4 without having played the other games. That said, one of the reasons I love this series so much is because of its subtle and really well-done continuity. Yakuza 4's callbacks to the original game blew my mind.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

well there is a full recap.

but Yakuza 4 is a bad bad game, avoid at all costs.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE

For those who don't know, Totobeni's crazy and one of two people in the world (the other being east of eastside, who's banned) to have an irrational, vitriolic hate of Yakuza 4, despite it being the best entry in the series. It's a shame.

JoeFenix

Funny, I played through Yakuza 4 a couple months ago and it was absolutely amazing! The characters alone make it worth playing. Akiyama, Saejima and Tanimura are just awesome and all play differently.

One of the best games of this generation, must play!

GrayFoxPL

Sauce video?

I was interested on grabbing Yakuza 4 but I'm curious, is
it mandatory to play the previous games to understand the newer ones correctly, or are those somewhat "standalone"?

Every game has new story but it shares the characters. Imo the first one has the best story and finale. 4 is kinda watered down because they put in shorter 4 character stories while in previous games it was about Kiryu epic Yakuza journey.

And this sir is slightly insane. Haha. 4 maybe isn't the best in terms of story but definitely is in terms of gameplay, diversity and mini games (VF pachinko!).

cj_iwakura

Yakuza 4 had a fantastic ending, even if 5 looks like it throws it out the window.

But let's be realistic, everyone's coming for Kiryu-chan and staying for

hT3Tq.jpg

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
For those who don't know, Totobeni's crazy and one of two people in the world (the other being east of eastside, who's banned) to have an irrational, vitriolic hate of Yakuza 4, despite it being the best entry in the series. It's a shame.

a lazy rehashed sequel with nothing good in it is the best of this series?yeah no..the thing is Yakuza 4 is awful and a disgrace to the Yakuza/RGG name.

Lazy rehashing plot (from Y1and2) and events with horrible story that shat itself after the first chapter and sub plots that go no where, only one fucking city,boring side quest, no memorable moments or fight, no real villains(seriously the hell was that), two non interesting and boring to play lead characters..ect. what a complete waste of SEGA money and blu-ray discs.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Yakuza 4 had a fantastic ending, even if 5 looks like it throws it out the window.
Yeah, that's a bit of a shame. Hopefully there's a good excuse for each of the characters' initial states, as they don't match up with their personalities and the previous events.

a lazy rehashed sequel with nothing good in it is the best of this series?yeah no..the thing is Yakuza 4 is awful and a disgrace to the Yakuza/RGG name.

Lazy rehashing plot (from Y1and2) and events with horrible story that shat itself after the first chapter and sub plots that go no where, only one fucking city,boring side quest, no memorable moments or fight, no real villains(seriously the hell was that), two non interesting and boring to play lead characters..ect. what a complete waste of SEGA money and blu-ray discs.
Totobeni. <3

You just get crazier and crazier. Now it's a waste of Blu-Rays too; I can't wait to read about the extent to which Yakuza 4 has ruined everything when the next Yakuza thread rolls around.

Persona86

Banned
Funny, I played through Yakuza 4 a couple months ago and it was absolutely amazing! The characters alone make it worth playing. Akiyama, Saejima and Tanimura are just awesome and all play differently.

One of the best games of this generation, must play!

Ignore him, in every Yakuza thread he has to state his hatred for 4, he can't seem to help himself. Just smile and nod. :)

Well, I don't know how Yakuza 4 stands compared with the other entries, since it's the only game in the series that I played, but I can certainly say that I enjoyed it immensely. I put 70 hours into it (were the previous entries that long? I just can't see myself doing the same with just one main character).

I'm looking forward for Yakuza 5, and if they improve all the "awful" things you hated from Yakuza 4 then all the better (I guess), but if not I know is good enough for me (even if I liked the Conan-like look of Saejima better :()

I am absolutely the worst at the rhythm karaoke minigame so I hope failing at this in 5 won't hinder the progress with the game, but I'm worried.

The street dances that they've shown look pretty easy. It seems like the difficulty will mainly ramp up during the idol stages. The notes seem to go faster in those. But even that didn't look too difficult.

AlexBasch

Well, thanks for the recommendations, both good and bad. :p I was always interested in the Yakuza franchise but couldn't ever get 1 for the PS2 back then. It's fairly cheap too, so that helps as well.

Much appreciated. :)

Yakuza demos haven't always been good or give a good idea of how the game plays.
...and I'm normally optimistic but I worry that this'll suffer the same issues like the previous demoes.

BTW is it OK to post something that is Kiryu related but not exactly Yakuza related?

Agreed so much, I hated the 3 and 4 demos for giving us a fully locked character/world which makes the game feel very mundane. Gets amazing once the map is unlocked and you get a few levels up!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Is it worth playing the ps2 games to get into this series or should I just go with 3 and 4?

I played them from 1 to 4 in pretty close proximity

and burnt out as a result. Still haven't finished 4.

I'd just play 4 honestly if you want to maintain excitement towards this title. I think 3 isn't as enjoyable without having played the previous games.

but if you think you're a stronger man than I am it's never a bad idea to play through a series from the beginning.(Yakuza 2 is probably the most fun I've had with the games)

GrayFoxPL

I just watched the long fighting video and I'm little disappointed. They said they made huge changes to the combat system. While I see they changed Kiryu's fighting animations, added enemies sticking to walls, qte super combos, musou-like battles etc. I was expecting more of a core change like they did with Black Panther PSP(why isn't this on PS3? :(). I was expecting new system build from ground up, not just additions and tweaks.

Oh that's just my nitpicking.

Oh and I miss Tanimura's Aikido awesomeness, now they added just street brawlers and j-pop dancer - eh.

Even Kiriu's style changed to more of a street thug - where did all that martial art training go that I went through with him again and again in previous 4 games? Kiryu seems to have short attention spam. :\

cj_iwakura

Different strokes. I like dumb and silly stuff every now and again. And I'm sure the story behind the Idol world could be an interesting one.

Yep. Genuinely looking forward to it, and not just because I love rhythm games.

Still think it'd be awesome if you got to use her to beat up thugs twice her size.

Persona86

Banned
Still think it'd be awesome if you got to use her to beat up thugs twice her size.
That would be nice, actually it would be nice to fight with ANY girl.

If it were to happen with Haruka, I would prefer to see her do training with Kiryu or someone for one game, that way she doesn't just suddenly become like Neo: "I know Kung Fu...." out of nowhere.

cj_iwakura

It would ne nice to fight with ANY girl.

With Haruka thou, I would prefer to see her do training with Kiryu or someone for one game, that way she doesn't just suddenly become like Neo: "I know Kung Fu...."

I'm surprised Kiryu can't use her as a projectile in Yakuza 4's post-game.

Gacha-pin

I just watched the long fighting video and I'm little disappointed. They said they made huge changes to the combat system. While I see they changed Kiryu's fighting animations, added enemies sticking to walls, qte super combos, musou-like battles etc. I was expecting more of a core change like they did with Black Panther PSP(why isn't this on PS3? :(). I was expecting new system build from ground up, not just additions and tweaks.

Oh that's just my nitpicking.

Oh and I miss Tanimura's Aikido awesomeness, now they added just street brawlers and j-pop dancer - eh.

Even Kiriu's style changed to more of a street thug - where did all that martial art training go that I went through with him again and again in previous 4 games? Kiryu seems to have short attention spam. :\

agree. I don't like the new combat looking. It looks a typical stylish action game more than a rough street fist fight. :( They should bring PSP's combat to the main series.

From an interview (a podcast) I heard.
"The story concluded to a certain degree in Y4. Y5 is easier to get into for a new player.....I mean no vid recaps in Y5.....I mean we can't put them for the size reason, disc panapna." &#65340;(^o^)&#65295;

image83.png

It seems this thingy is Haruka.

Top Bottom