• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 demo - 11/27/2012 (JAP PSN)

Persona86

Banned
image83.png

It seems this thingy is Haruka.
What the FRACK!? That looks pretty bad lol.

Hopefully this means there's customization like lots of clothes and items etc, I love that kind of stuff, and I don't know why haha.

Hopefully the other characters have multiple clothes as usual.

Dantis

What the FRACK!? That looks pretty bad lol.

Hopefully this means there's customization like lots of clothes and items etc, I love that kind of stuff, and I don't know why haha.

Hopefully the other characters have multiple clothes as usual.

That would be cool. Seems like an obvious design choce for Yakuza too, to the extent that I can't believe it's never been in any of them yet.

Still hoping I can skip the idol stuff.

Stark

Banned
^^SEGA, why.

Different strokes. I like dumb and silly stuff every now and again. And I'm sure the story behind the Idol world could be an interesting one.

Those segments look super fun. Surprised some people consider it that, lol. Ah, well.

Commercials look great.

web01

That would be cool. Seems like an obvious design choce for Yakuza too, to the extent that I can't believe it's never been in any of them yet.

Still hoping I can skip the idol stuff.

Main reason is because all the cut-scenes are not in real time. That is why you only unlock costumes at the end of the game.

IrishNinja

Totobeni i'm going to have to ask you to wait outside all future yakuza threads until proper opinion calibration is completed

Tizoc

Hahaha, oh shit, the VF2 machine works in the demo. Wasn't expecting that.

EDIT: So does Taiko no Tatsujin! Demo of the forever!

Making a JP Account soon as I get home.
That's reason enough for me to try a Yakuza demo.
...and why THE FUCK does the 'Hatsune Miku is in Yakuza 5' thread have MORE posts than this?

SOMEBODY CHANGE THE THREAD TITLE TO STATE THOSE ARCADE GAMES ARE PLAYABLE IN THE DEMO! NOW NOW NOW!

Stuart444

We can do double teams in this? (Was this in any previous game? I don't think Kiryu even fought with anyone else as a partner in battle)

For anyone that wants to see it, look on the map, go to question mark, do fight, go to next question mark, and then if your partner gets the other one in a hold, triangle (probably with heat at first small bar?) to do double team.

I'm loving this demo.

geebee

Banned
We can do double teams in this? (Was this in any previous game? I don't think Kiryu even fought with anyone else as a partner in battle)

For anyone that wants to see it, look on the map, go to question mark, do fight, go to next question mark, and then if your partner gets the other one in a hold, triangle (probably with heat at first small bar?) to do double team.

I'm loving this demo.
Yakuza 2 had some team-up attacks featuring various people you helped out in side quests. I just got to that part in the demo and it's a reference to a scene in the first Yakuza when some punks are picking on a dog.

Wow, they have real pictures of food items, now!

cj_iwakura

Just failed the quiz minigame horribly, I think. Immediate combat was fun, but somehow it didn't seem as sharp looking as Y4.

Mikhal

Just got into a couple random battles. It looks like you can go into the kaioken/red aura mode when you taunt (R2) when you are in Heat mode. Changes his moves a bit. Haven't seen any Heat actions while red yet.

I also noticed an enemy I was fighting actually picked up the bike tire I tossed to the ground and started using it as a weapon too.

Stuart444

Fantastic demo, Kiryu has gotten nastier with some of his new heat moves. Some of them look damned painful.

Also Question marks in the map for side-stories, that's new I think? Will help people to find the side stuff easier at least.

Can't wait for this game in english... no matter how long I must wait :(

edit:

I also noticed an enemy I was fighting actually picked up the bike tire I tossed to the ground and started using it as a weapon too.

Yeah, someone picked up a weapon (trash lid or something) and used it against me as well.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
dude they released dead souls here.

I can understand why people keep bringing this up, but you have to remember that Dead Souls came out BEFORE Sega's big crash/restructuring. Before they decided to concentrate only on their big core IPs in the West (Sonic/Aliens/Football Manager/Total War).

Mikhal

BELIEVE! and it will come.
Besides you'll be getting VF2 for free this way~

From what I can tell from my playthrough of the demo, you can only play the 1st three stages in VF2 against the computer so it's not as big of a deal as it initially sounds. I wonder if it'll be different in the main game though... Taiko no Tatsujin had 3 songs that appear like they could be selectable, but you can only choose one in the demo.

The hostess minigame got an upgrade also. There's a lot more voice acting now compared to the old games. The camera was in first person view most of the time too during the talking so you can stare wherever you want now...

Instead of hearts, it's a bar that goes up now. I managed to make the love bar go up to a line that was marked at about 80% of the way and when I left the club, a grade thing popped up and it went from F -> E. I sure hope that is something else and I don't have to get the hostesses up to A or S rank...

I could be wrong on this but it looks like you can ask the hostess questions/make comments, too? One of the options you can choose in the menu looked like it had a list of things you can choose, but I don't know Japanese so I'm just guessing on that one while blind picking things.

kiryogi

Banned
Fantastic demo, Kiryu has gotten nastier with some of his new heat moves. Some of them look damned painful.

Also Question marks in the map for side-stories, that's new I think? Will help people to find the side stuff easier at least.

Can't wait for this game in english... no matter how long I must wait :(

edit:

Yeah, someone picked up a weapon (trash lid or something) and used it against me as well.

That's acutally been there since "Of the End" I think maybe Kurohyo too.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Not to get into police mode, but what's with the 1940s era thread title? "JAP PSN" Jap? Uh, JP/JPN more like?
It's an abbreviation and not meant to be the slur you're referring to. Since not everyone's an English native speaker around here you have to forgive them if they don't know that this is not the correct abbreviation (I think?), in other languages it is.

Dreamer RD

How to change inverted camera controls?
Also, there will be no option to hijack the cars in full version? Looks like Japanese GTA :D
(never played Yakuza before)

Jubern

How to change inverted camera controls?
Also, there will be no option to hijack the cars in full version? Looks like Japanese GTA :D
(never played Yakuza before)

It's in the options. Open menu, last choice. There are four settings that say 「逆」, which means "inversed". The first two change third-person camera settings and the two other first-person camera (R3) settings.

Demo wasn't as good as RGG4's IMO, but it was nice enough. Strange to visit a new place lol. With cars passing by, to boot!

lupin23rd

Anyone know if there's an official launch event anywhere in Japan?

I'll be here for it and haven't pre-ordered yet. If Nagoshi is going to be chilling out at some shop I'll line up to see if I can't snag a pic / get him to sign the game.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I'll be here for it and haven't pre-ordered yet. If Nagoshi is going to be chilling out at some shop I'll line up to see if I can't snag a pic / get him to sign the game.
Tell him there's some madman called Mistouze who's willing to destroy every tan bed in Japan if the game doesn't get released in the west.

Absolutely loved that demo! Combat feels even more fluid now, especially as I've just replayed the first two. The heat attacks are amazingly brutal! Love the heat finishers too.

Also nice that VF 2 and Taiko no Tatsujin are playable in Club Sega. Don and Katsu's chirpy voices in Taiko being replaced by Kiryuu's downbeat tone was brilliant!

Jucksalbe

Banned
Played through the demo once. Biggest difference for me was that some (all?) random encounters are now people yelling at you instead of following you. Makes it a lot easier to just ignore them, but it can make it hard to even find them if you want to fight them.

There some new kind of new UFO catcher, tried it >10 times, couldn't get that Miku figurine. Also the VF2 game seems to be timed(?), at least it threw me out in the middle of the game.
Other than that it's your standard Yakuza game, improved a little at every corner. Except for the heat actions, I already had to look away for the "knee to the face" finisher in Yakuza 4, but grinding people's faces across the street is even more brutal. I could do without that stuff.

Oh, and the water effects look horrible.

Dantis

Playing the demo now. AMAZE!

Loving the new engine. New animation system is really cool. Also, in-engine cutscenes? Interesting.

Gacha-pin

I don't like the new fighting. Fighting itself is good but that heat frame effect is too excessive. New motion physics is good but it's a bit annoyed when you run into a pedestrian. It's like GTA euhporia but not that realistic. But the demo overall is pretty good. It's a great introduction for the story. Now I'm really looking forward to seeing after the demo part :)

A funny moment in the demo I had is I managed to ask the girl out club. I went to Club Sega with her and check PuriKura. Kazuma just took the picture himeself alone, wtf!? lol

What do you think of the map? If I remember correctly, this location is supposed to be the biggest map of the five city. But it doesn't look like it in the map menu screen :(

Top Bottom