• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Zero: The Promised Land |Import OT| - Party like its 1988!

Sgblues

Many thanks again to Sgblues, your tips to clear the last Scalectrix side mission worked. I didn't have all the parts so I had to fiddle around with the car settings a bit but finally managed to win the race. Quite a satisfying way to finish that mini game actually...

I also cleared all the Shogi missions for the collection list, it was slightly harder to finish this go round as there is no 100% way to beat the AI each time, but its still fairly simple plus I actually gained the tiniest amount of knowledge with that game. Still don't understand it though...

I'm almost done on the side missions now, and I've almost completed the money island side stuff as well.

No problem as usual, yeah I never try to play Shogi legit, I always do trial 1 over and over in each of the games to get the pass requirement, I do like Mahjong a lot and I have gotten rank 1 in the tournaments in Y4 and Dead souls.

Man this game. Got back into it and I've put like 20 hours into it this week. A mix of KHH guide (would love for them to complete it) and a few Japanese wikis that work well for clearing substories. They bracket the answers you need to choose!

Any other English guides I could check out? There's one substory for Kiryu that is bugging me because I don't seem to be doing the final bit right.

I dunno if there are any other English guides out there yet but just say which substory you are having trouble with and I'll help out.

Yamibito

Thinking about starting this after playing through Ishin with a walkthrough. Should I wait until Yakuza 5 is localised first or just jump straight in?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Thinking about starting this after playing through Ishin with a walkthrough. Should I wait until Yakuza 5 is localised first or just jump straight in?

Thats really up to you, since timeline wise 0 and 5 are on the opposite sides of the scale lol.

No problem as usual, yeah I never try to play Shogi legit, I always do trial 1 over and over in each of the games to get the pass requirement, I do like Mahjong a lot and I have gotten rank 1 in the tournaments in Y4 and Dead souls.

I dunno if there are any other English guides out there yet but just say which substory you are having trouble with and I'll help out.

Okay, I don't know the number, but the one for Kiryu is the guy that you can talk to outside of a few different places, including the pharmacy, and he's bald and looks like he's wearing some makeup. Dressed in all black maybe? The other is Majima and it's basically the dude in the diaper, haha. It seems like a similar type of substory. Also, if you could explain what is happening in both of them that'd be great.

Ok, finally done with the story after 90 hours. Just shy of 80% completion on the completion list, which I'll focus on next...

The final chapter really doesn't mess around, its bloody long as it
jumps between both characters dishing out plenty of boss battles
. Really epic as well, lots of awesome action plus thanks to me leveling up/unlocking all 8 fighting styles the encounters were really fun.

My option on the game:

Best combat system in the series so far. Each style seemed useful for certain encounters bar perhaps Kiryu's rush style which is just too weak at the end game, pointless to use against bosses but I can't hate it as it looks so damn stylish! And you get some excellent moves the more you level them up as expected. Plus its nowhere near as bad as Ishin where it takes ages to unlock everything, as long as you do the mini games you get loads of money easily to level up the styles.

Awesome music - I love how the music switches with each style, and the soundtrack as a whole is just fantastic especially the dancing and singing mini games.

Perhaps the best mini games in the series so far? Apart from the returning mini games which have been tweaked slightly you get "another life" mini games which are huge time sinks - managing real estate and managing another hostess club. Both are fresh experiences (especially the club, which is unlike the last few clubs you manage). The Scaletrix mini game is awesome, addictive fun and the arcade is for sure the best its ever been in the series (more Sega games for future Yakuza arcades please).

It looks great. Graphically yes its an up port of a PS3 game and it does have the odd issue with tearing but that bothered me far less than expected. The areas look great in 1080p (especially Kamuracho) and the cinematics look as amazing as ever.

Great cast of returning and new characters. As usual the team do a great job with the characters and story in general. It ties into the first game well and its great to look into both characters pasts (especially Majima).

Story/character points of note (spoilers...)

Its great seeing
Kashiwagi
as a boss battle in this game. I've always liked his character and I'm glad he got a slightly larger role in the game. I did have to chuckle when he
showed up with backup at the docks at the end of the game with the Kazama family. This mirrored his timely backup in Yakuza 1 quite closely - where he showed up again in trucks to provide backup against Shimano's family when your fighting at the docks on his boat.

Majima
is the standout character in my opinion. Seeing his personality change as the story goes on is awesome.

I was surprised to see
Sera
show up in this game. He gets very little screen time in the original game so it was nice to see his character get fleshed out more in this game. Likewise seeing
Dojima
as the big bad in the game was cool, bearing in mind his only role in the first game is as a
corpse
. Again, it ties into the first game nicely.

Lastly, the last couple of chapters benefited greatly by having Kiryu fighting alongside
Nishki. It was awesome to see them as newcomers to the organisation working together, since the first game only briefly touched on that.

And that ending. I'm sure its the longest ending I've seen since Metal Gear Solid 4's. The nods toward Yakuza 1 were awesome, though if I had to pick one moment that was clearly my favourite it was easily the last minute where
Kiryu and Majima meet face to face in their classic outfits, with Majima uttering his classic phrase to Kiryu with that crazy look on his face!

Speaking of which, I was really surprised that
Kiryu and Majima never actually meet until the ending, or get their trademark boss battle. The thing was I never even noticed until that point right at the end, both stories stood on their own so well I stopped wanting them to cross over early on

Couple of small downers on the game:

Guns. They are damn annoying on the final chapter. There are a couple of points where fights become insanely annoying thanks to gun dudes hanging back and sniping you.

The complete lack of
Kazama
in the game until the very end. I know he has a good reason to be absent, but with it being a flash back it was one of the only legit times for them to use him more and they didn't :(

So in terms of the series this is pretty much one of the best. Excellent story, combat system and lots of great things to do in the in game world. Difficulty is a tad on the easy side for the first few chapters, and things really don't get doing until around 60% through the game (where the difficulty also picks up) even when playing on hard. Its far more focused than Yakuza 5, and has a far more believable story compared to parts of 3 and 4.
My only two questions now are - will Sega translate the game (I'd like to think so, but it seems unlikely still) and what will they do next for the series? With TGS only a month or so away, hopefully I'll get the answer to the second question soon. Until then, its back to finishing off all the stuff I missed...

Videoneon

Thanks for the writeup! I managed to avoid looking at the spoilers (how unlike me!) but I'm so happy to see you liked the combat system. I feel like this is one thing the series should really push and can help it stand out. That the story was well done is a plus too

Yeah, without a doubt the fighting system and definitely the story are the high points of the series, with the wealth of mini games refined over the series are a close third. The heat moves in the series remain my favourite mechanic in a brawler - awesome, over the top contextual moves that evolved as the series went on. Recently replaying the first game its weird to see just how far things have come.

And the story has the distinct advantage of evolving the characters over multiple games - even minor characters thanks to side stories. Pity the series isn't more popular over here, next to Megaman its easily my favourite game series.

Sgblues

Okay, I don't know the number, but the one for Kiryu is the guy that you can talk to outside of a few different places, including the pharmacy, and he's bald and looks like he's wearing some makeup. Dressed in all black maybe? The other is Majima and it's basically the dude in the diaper, haha. It seems like a similar type of substory. Also, if you could explain what is happening in both of them that'd be great.

Oh the substory for Kiryu is 48 and its about Akimoto(not the be confused with the other Akimoto character in the series though there is a woman who looks like him in the game...and she goes on a date with Kiryu...) the "unequaled", he just talks about the phone cards and the videos they unlock as well as watching them and acting weird, to up his friendship gauge, talk to him when you collect phone cards, there's a cutscene at 30% and at 80% you see him beaten up in Pink ST, he talks about the Earth Angel bar in the Champion district, after going there and meeting back with him at the end of Pink St. you'll max out the friendship gauge.

For Majima its substory 77, the underwear guy is Mr Hub, almost the same thing as for Kiryu, but at 80% you have to talk to him, then go to the drug store and talk to the clerk and then get special energy drink for 30,000 then give it to him, after which you can max out his gauge and now buy the drink at the drugstore which is the best health item.

@ Shadowman16

Congrats on beating the game! Yeah the final chapters are just nonstop action, the rush style shines with the charge kick, a fully charged one would take a huge chunk of life off of everyone but setting it up and connecting is the problem often. Yeah Ishin was grindy on maxing the styles but in Zero is so much better with having money for everything and would be hard(at least for me) going back to exp for everything.

Yes the music is fantastic, I tend to listen to the OST a lot, especially Kuze's theme, yeah the minigames are some of the best, some could have been made better like cat fighting but overall I had fun with them, I'm hoping in Y6 they expand on the Sega Arcade games and add classics like Golden Axe or Altered Beast or even put in Virtua Fighter 3 and other games.

Graphic wise the game looks great, there is some screen tearing when you look for it but nothing that's jarring or distracting and gotta love the "pores tech" for the characters faces. The cast is great especially the Dojima 3, the most badass trio in the series, if there was one thing I would change would be give
Awano two fights, one against Kiryu in the Alley and then Majima at the end and maybe give Shibusawa two fights(maybe).

Its cool we get to fight Sera and meet the second chairman Nihara and yeah its cool we finally get to fight Kashiwagi(Hyperbit hero's boy!) after being a jobber for so long lol, yeah its bad Kazama wasn't in the story till the end but another downer was no Yumi, she's mentioned giving Tachibana the pendant but makes no appearance at all, even Reina has more character development than her, she should at least been in or had substories about her, even Ryuji. Shinji and Ogita had ones involving them(Ryuji had two!), also we meet Bacchus who, talked about opening a bar and the same one Kiryu would meet Haruka in 2005 and yes the ending scene on Tenkaichi st when Majima meets Kiryu and "Receive you" plays and Majima says his line is my favorite!

And of course we all want the series to be more popular, its not some Shenmue spiritual successor or Japanese GTA and would never be, its it own thing and sure the series has its faults and many things can be better but its by no means a horrible series that should "die" despite what "true" Sega fans might want but all we can do as fans is show our support and show Sega that yes we want these games to be localize and have more fans come to appreciate it.

Graphic wise the game looks great, there is some screen tearing when you look for it but nothing that's jarring or distracting and gotta love the "pores tech" for the characters faces. The cast is great especially the Dojima 3, the most badass trio in the series, if there was one thing I would change would be give
Awano two fights, one against Kiryu in the Alley and then Majima at the end and maybe give Shibusawa two fights(maybe).

Its cool we get to fight Sera and meet the second chairman Nihara and yeah its cool we finally get to fight Kashiwagi(Hyperbit hero's boy!) after being a jobber for so long lol, yeah its bad Kazama wasn't in the story till the end but another downer was no Yumi, she's mentioned giving Tachibana the pendant but makes no appearance at all, even Reina has more character development than her, she should at least been in or had substories about her, even Ryuji. Shinji and Ogita had ones involving them(Ryuji had two!), also we meet Bacchus who, talked about opening a bar and the same one Kiryu would meet Haruka in 2005 and yes the ending scene on Tenkaichi st when Majima meets Kiryu and "Receive you" plays and Majima says his line is my favorite!

Yeah,
Awano
should have really got to fight Kiryu. It feels like between
Kuza and then Shibusawa
he got the least time to shine until right at the end of the game. But then again, he was a badass until the end, especially when he
makes that massive dent in the wall in the QTE against Majima, and then when you fight the assassin right afterwards the dent is still there!
Also, I might have missed it but did they confirm who
died
at the end of the game?
Awano went out like a badass, but I'm not sure is Shibusawa died or whether he just passed out, seeing as Kiryu didn't deal the death blow, but did beat the crap out of him pretty bad!

And I personally hope
Kuza
made it out alive, you beat him up so many times that it'd be a shame if he's finally gone!

Ryuuji
turning up was badass. He was one of the most powerful optional battles in the game (especially early on.
I must have missed (or haven't done) the
Shinji
mission yet. Where did he turn up?
I've only got a handful of side stories left now, I've managed to beat a few of the extortionists this evening and made some decent money, now I just need to do the same with Majima. Is it true that you can transfer funds between the two characters? Or did I misread something?

Have you done the ultimate missions on the game as well? If so how would you rate them difficulty wise compared to previous games? I remember 5's not being too bad, 4's were mainly fine apart from a couple of annoying ones (that damn boat) and 3's was hell incarnate at times (I'm looking at you Akimoto). Ishin's were fairly easy I think, I don't really have any lasting memories of any tough times on that one (the battle dungeon on the other hand... oh the pain, oh the grind).

Once I'm done though I need to replay Yakuza 4. I've forgotten parts of that story completely (plus I miss Tanimura) so I really want to replay it, maybe get close to finally getting the platinum trophy on it, its a fairly easy one to do.

mrmyhthef

Its great seeing
Kashiwagi
as a boss battle in this game. I've always liked his character and I'm glad he got a slightly larger role in the game. I did have to chuckle when he
showed up with backup at the docks at the end of the game with the Kazama family. This mirrored his timely backup in Yakuza 1 quite closely - where he showed up again in trucks to provide backup against Shimano's family when your fighting at the docks on his boat.

Both his and
Nishiki's
boss battles were definitely among my favourite fights in the game. Actually I'm not sure how many people bother to do this but I like reading the blurb at the bottom of the pause screen during boss fights or other climactic moments. Yeah it mostly just reiterates info you already know but sometimes you get additional insight into the character's thoughts which I find interesting. Those two fights in particular have some good ones.

That QTE with the Staminan X is probably the best one in the game.

Parakeetman

Ok, finally done with the story after 90 hours. Just shy of 80% completion on the completion list, which I'll focus on next...

The final chapter really doesn't mess around, its bloody long as it
jumps between both characters dishing out plenty of boss battles
. Really epic as well, lots of awesome action plus thanks to me leveling up/unlocking all 8 fighting styles the encounters were really fun.

My option on the game:

Best combat system in the series so far. Each style seemed useful for certain encounters bar perhaps Kiryu's rush style which is just too weak at the end game, pointless to use against bosses but I can't hate it as it looks so damn stylish! And you get some excellent moves the more you level them up as expected. Plus its nowhere near as bad as Ishin where it takes ages to unlock everything, as long as you do the mini games you get loads of money easily to level up the styles.

Awesome music - I love how the music switches with each style, and the soundtrack as a whole is just fantastic especially the dancing and singing mini games.

Perhaps the best mini games in the series so far? Apart from the returning mini games which have been tweaked slightly you get "another life" mini games which are huge time sinks - managing real estate and managing another hostess club. Both are fresh experiences (especially the club, which is unlike the last few clubs you manage). The Scaletrix mini game is awesome, addictive fun and the arcade is for sure the best its ever been in the series (more Sega games for future Yakuza arcades please).

It looks great. Graphically yes its an up port of a PS3 game and it does have the odd issue with tearing but that bothered me far less than expected. The areas look great in 1080p (especially Kamuracho) and the cinematics look as amazing as ever.

Great cast of returning and new characters. As usual the team do a great job with the characters and story in general. It ties into the first game well and its great to look into both characters pasts (especially Majima).

Story/character points of note (spoilers...)

Its great seeing
Kashiwagi

Majima
is the standout character in my opinion. Seeing his personality change as the story goes on is awesome.

I was surprised to see
Sera
show up in this game. He gets very little screen time in the original game so it was nice to see his character get fleshed out more in this game. Likewise seeing
Dojima
as the big bad in the game was cool, bearing in mind his only role in the first game is as a
corpse
. Again, it ties into the first game nicely.

Lastly, the last couple of chapters benefited greatly by having Kiryu fighting alongside
Nishki. It was awesome to see them as newcomers to the organisation working together, since the first game only briefly touched on that.

And that ending. I'm sure its the longest ending I've seen since Metal Gear Solid 4's. The nods toward Yakuza 1 were awesome, though if I had to pick one moment that was clearly my favourite it was easily the last minute where
Kiryu and Majima meet face to face in their classic outfits, with Majima uttering his classic phrase to Kiryu with that crazy look on his face!

Speaking of which, I was really surprised that
Kiryu and Majima never actually meet until the ending, or get their trademark boss battle. The thing was I never even noticed until that point right at the end, both stories stood on their own so well I stopped wanting them to cross over early on

Couple of small downers on the game:

Guns. They are damn annoying on the final chapter. There are a couple of points where fights become insanely annoying thanks to gun dudes hanging back and sniping you.

The complete lack of
Kazama
in the game until the very end. I know he has a good reason to be absent, but with it being a flash back it was one of the only legit times for them to use him more and they didn't :(

So in terms of the series this is pretty much one of the best. Excellent story, combat system and lots of great things to do in the in game world. Difficulty is a tad on the easy side for the first few chapters, and things really don't get doing until around 60% through the game (where the difficulty also picks up) even when playing on hard. Its far more focused than Yakuza 5, and has a far more believable story compared to parts of 3 and 4.
My only two questions now are - will Sega translate the game (I'd like to think so, but it seems unlikely still) and what will they do next for the series? With TGS only a month or so away, hopefully I'll get the answer to the second question soon. Until then, its back to finishing off all the stuff I missed...

One thing though with this game is a lot of the heat actions dont line up correctly or feel a lot more limited in comparison to the older titles. Think that has to do more with they pushed this title out a lot faster than the other games. Thats one thing which I had noticed pretty early on. Also the still scenes that are voiced are just weird.

Both his and
Nishiki's
boss battles were definitely among my favourite fights in the game. Actually I'm not sure how many people bother to do this but I like reading the blurb at the bottom of the pause screen during boss fights or other climactic moments. Yeah it mostly just reiterates info you already know but sometimes you get additional insight into the character's thoughts which I find interesting. Those two fights in particular have some good ones.

That QTE with the Staminan X is probably the best one in the game.

Did you manage to do
Kashiwagi's
QTE? I did that fight 3 times and failed it all three times. Its insanely quick, his one hit punch is insanely badass though. And yeah, those other QTE's cracked me up as well, heck the series in general probably has my favourite use of QTE's since the Shenmue series.

One thing though with this game is a lot of the heat actions dont line up correctly or feel a lot more limited in comparison to the older titles. Think that has to do more with they pushed this title out a lot faster than the other games. Thats one thing which I had noticed pretty early on. Also the still scenes that are voiced are just weird.

I liked the still scenes. They looked nice and I preferred them to the in game cut scenes where the in game models just stood around. They aren't as good as the PSP comic book cutscenes though, those were brilliant.

I kind of wish a couple of the styles had more heat moves, or more useful ones. Majima's dance style has great heat moves but only really useful when fighting more than one enemy (or one with a sword). His Slugger style is devoid of unique heat moves unless you count the other weapons heat moves as well? His desperation heat move (when your health is low) is great though so I'll give him that. Don't get me started about the "concealed weapon" heat move. So cool, but almost entirely useless. I used it twice in the game, as enemies don't carry concealed weapons which made it somewhat pointless. Kiryu's heat moves seemed way more fleshed out - his thug and destroyer styles have tons of heat moves mainly thanks to recycling previous games - plus the later destroyer heat move I got (L1 + R1 + Triangle) is pretty much my favourite heat move for Kiryu - insanely powerful and easy to land. His rush style has cool heat moves, but really situational. I definitely found myself probably relying more on some of the default heat moves (especially in bosses) more than in past games.

mrmyhthef

Did you manage to do
Kashiwagi's
QTE? I did that fight 3 times and failed it all three times. Its insanely quick, his one hit punch is insanely badass though. And yeah, those other QTE's cracked me up as well, heck the series in general probably has my favourite use of QTE's since the Shenmue series.

Yeah I was determined to get that QTE and it took me more than 3 tries :p

Wasn't really worth it though.
Majima just dashes out of the way to end up behind Kashiwagi
. Fair enough but clearly you were meant to get hit by that

Yeah I was determined to get that QTE and it took me more than 3 tries :p

Wasn't really worth it though.
Majima just dashes out of the way to end up behind Kashiwagi
. Fair enough but clearly you were meant to get hit by that

Nice one :) the randomised button press made it impossible for me to pull that off. I was relieved when checking the trophies that the chapter trophy is for
failing the QTE against Reina's bottle attack
. I missed pretty much all of the chapter specific trophies though only one I managed to get was the double team attacks one, and that was because I love that they put double team heat moves back in the game.

Desmond

Just started playing this. Japanese is tough but i'm getting through it. Stuck at the moment. Maybe I'm blind but I can't find ブレンド喫茶店 on the map.

nevermind: if I stay idle it tells me where to head to lol

Sgblues

Ryuuji
turning up was badass. He was one of the most powerful optional battles in the game (especially early on.
I must have missed (or haven't done) the
Shinji
mission yet. Where did he turn up?
I've only got a handful of side stories left now, I've managed to beat a few of the extortionists this evening and made some decent money, now I just need to do the same with Majima. Is it true that you can transfer funds between the two characters? Or did I misread something?

Have you done the ultimate missions on the game as well? If so how would you rate them difficulty wise compared to previous games? I remember 5's not being too bad, 4's were mainly fine apart from a couple of annoying ones (that damn boat) and 3's was hell incarnate at times (I'm looking at you Akimoto). Ishin's were fairly easy I think, I don't really have any lasting memories of any tough times on that one (the battle dungeon on the other hand... oh the pain, oh the grind).

Been busy the last few days and haven't gotten around to replying to this sooner, but its substory 20 that
Shinji
appears in, you can send money between each character using the guys that teach you to toss money(for Kiryu, its inside Vincent's Bar and for Majima, its in front of the Grand Cabaret playing his guitar).

The ultimate battles aren't bad at all, some can be tricky
like having to fight an extortionist in a small area or two of them at once in an arena or the boss rushes but nothing too bad.

Have do I replenish my girls' HP when I'm running my Kyabakura? Also any tip for the Rival battles?

You need to swap out girls in one of the menu's periodically to replemish their health. Talk to the owner of the club and select the first option when talking to him. Then select the first option again. Now select the last option on the menu and if my memory serves me correct you'll be presented with a menu to swap out girls.

For rival battles. Make sure you have your best girls selected (platinums and golds). Make sure you own all the properties in the area and level the girls up as much as you can (they do have level caps. I think the golds are 30ish and platinums are 40ish). I usually try to have around 20K fans in each area - the more fans you have the better customers you get who spend more money. With that you should be able to walk through the rival battles no problem.

Been busy the last few days and haven't gotten around to replying to this sooner, but its substory 20 that
Shinji
appears in, you can send money between each character using the guys that teach you to toss money(for Kiryu, its inside Vincent's Bar and for Majima, its in front of the Grand Cabaret playing his guitar).

The ultimate battles aren't bad at all, some can be tricky
like having to fight an extortionist in a small area or two of them at once in an arena or the boss rushes but nothing too bad.

Thanks for the tips. I've just gotten back to the game this evening and I finished up all but one side mission for Kiryu. I love that
Shinji got a better character model than other NPC's, his face especially is a spitting image of his Y1 self :)

The phone call girls bits were annoying though, not actually the phone call sections (which are really easy) but the annoyingly random nature of which girls you've already met, and those you've not...

Not sure what area to focus on next though, maybe the fighting arena...

Desmond

In Chapter 8 at the moment, but I haven't touched the story in a while, just been managing my hostess club and doing Majima's challenges.

I have a couple of questions.
1) How do I unlock the last master skill for the Dancer Style of dancing. i can only learn 4 skills from the three breakdancers right now.

2) Is there a 'Point of no return' in the story? i.e If I advance too far I will be unable to complete substories/challenges etc

Parakeetman

In Chapter 8 at the moment, but I haven't touched the story in a while, just been managing my hostess club and doing Majima's challenges.

1) How do I unlock the last master skill for the Dancer Style of dancing. i can only learn 4 skills from the three breakdancers right now.

2) Is there a 'Point of no return' in the story? i.e If I advance too far I will be unable to complete substories/challenges etc

Folks are a lot further in the story than I was where I left off so as much as Id like to help out you might have to wait for one of the regulars to answer. D:

There is a point where you head off in a taxi to the final battles so chapter 16 is the point of no return for Kiryu. Majima is chapter 13 I believe? But you can do all the bits you miss in the premium adventure mode so I'd recommend just doing things at your own pace and hitting up the remainder in premium adventure.

mrmyhthef

1. It's the same for all masters. Find the locked skill in the abilities screen and buy the ability adjacent to it. You should see a new option when you next talk to those guys.

2. You should be given free reign to do whatever you like right before triggering the final fights and even afterwards you can mop up what you missed in premium adventure (unlike in 5 you can create clear data in premium adventure).

I'm almost done with the additional stuff on this game now. Made decent progress over the last day, managing to complete almost all of the completion lists bar a couple of gambling games, the canon shot on Pool (no idea how to do this) and getting the last four pieces of armor from the weapon searching mini game for Majima. I should hopefully be done soon, assuming I can work out which for pieces of armor I'm short, and where I can get them from.

I've moved onto the challenge mode in the mean time, and damn is it testing my patience (unlike 5's and Ishin's which were way easier). I'm stuck on two challenges at the moment - the dance off challenge where you need to get a set amount of money (I can get half in the time limit...) and one where Majima has been drugged and continues to switch styles (this one is the easier of the two, but I can't figure out what does the best damage for each style, bar the default style which is just grab the marlin canon).

Parakeetman

When is this releasing in US?

Considering the miracle / amount of time it took for them to bring 5 out, which is not even out yet in the US. Dont think that this would be coming out in the West...

Did not help too that the sales in general declined as the series went on in the West...hence the whole miracle comment about the release of 5.

Yakuza 5 is realsing in the US soon (no date but pre order are up)

This.. .Well... We got 5, it's already a miracale... Zero is two episodes after 5... So probably never ... :(

It might still happen (maybe?). Ishin won't happen I'm pretty much certain on that (pity really, I really enjoyed the game). 0 though ties in directly with the original game so if they were organised managing to release 0 before the 1 remake would be a decent move, but this is Sega so you can pretty much guarantee that won't happen.

I'm glad I took the decision from 3 and up to just import the titles. Using guides etc. aren't the ideal ways to play the games for sure, but when the choices are between not playing these games and playing them, the choice is fairly simple. They routinely end up being one of my favourite games each year. Fairly impressive when they release them so frequently.

Finally, after 130+ hours...

100% completion on the completion list... I did everything on hard mode bar
Amon
. Those hidden boss fights were brutal! Not quite as insanely damaging as Ishin's hidden fights perhaps but it was still pretty brutal, especially Kiryu's hidden boss at the point where
Old Man Amon has his helicopter backup appear and the chairs start flying about which can hit stun you into oblivion. That actually makes the least sense of any Amon battle I've ever seen!

Majima's hidden boss was tough as well, I ended up just using Majima's 4th fighting style and just triangle countering everything. That was still tough, but worked really well once I got the timing down.

In terms of extras, my opinions are the following:

Returning mini games are at least as good as ever, perhaps better due to the relaxed completion standards. As always I loved Mah Jong, especially as I learnt more nuances to the game. Pool and the Batting Centre was easier this go around (so much so that I actually completed it!).
New mini game wise I loved the Scalectrix racing game. Insanely addictive, fun to tweak the cars and compete in tournaments and lots of side stories. So glad that its returning in the Remake of Yakuza 1. Unfortunately....

Cat Fights will also be back in the Yakuza 1 Remake and I sure hope its not the same old shit as it is in this game. Its terrible, insanely random (to the point I just stopped looking at the screen when playing it as I didn't need to devote my attention to it, just hammer the circle button.

Disco Dancing and singing were really awesome along with all side stories associated with it. I spent lots of time on both of these.

The arcade was the best around in this game. The inclusion of classic Sega games won it for me - Space Harrier, Outrun, Fantasy Zone and Super Hang On were all ace. I really hope they carry on down this road for future Yakuza games.

The fighting arena was better than 5's that was for sure, but for the last championship it required a silly amount of grinding. I gave up on unlocking the last championship because of this reason.

The challenge mode started out hard but once I figured out the easiest ways to cheese the challenges I managed to clear them without too many problems.

All in all I really loved this game. One of the best Yakuza games no doubt. The story was absolutely fantastic, the fighting styles were all well done and thankfully didn't require the amount of grinding that Ishin required - so you had most of the best moves early on in the game.

All I need to do now is to clear the Legend mode to get the remainder of the story trophies I missed the first go around for the platinum. Now I'll take a break from the series, either until I play Remake 1, or Yakuza 4 depending on what I feel like playing first.

Sgblues

Congrats on making it that far and doing so well! Sure you can take a break and come back to finish off what you have left later on.

Congrats on making it that far and doing so well! Sure you can take a break and come back to finish off what you have left later on.

Yeah, I'll most likely head back to it in a couple of months once I've cleared more of my backlog like I did with Ishin. While I could probably run through it fairly fast I'll probably want to at least take time and enjoy the story again as well as some of my favourite mini games etc.

One thing I wonder about Legend - is it like EX hard mode where you can't die else you go back to the last time you saved? If so I'll need to be ready for that... Some of the later levels do not pull any punches.

Sgblues

Yeah, I'll most likely head back to it in a couple of months once I've cleared more of my backlog like I did with Ishin. While I could probably run through it fairly fast I'll probably want to at least take time and enjoy the story again as well as some of my favourite mini games etc.

One thing I wonder about Legend - is it like EX hard mode where you can't die else you go back to the last time you saved? If so I'll need to be ready for that... Some of the later levels do not pull any punches.

Well Legend mode
resets you to Zero so you would have to build up your characters again, its just like Dead Souls mode in DS

I finished the game, but never got around learning the 4th styles for the characters. How do you obtain them ?

Complete the money island section for Kiryu and Nightlife(hostess) section for Majima

SephLuis

Complete the money island section for Kiryu and Nightlife(hostess) section for Majima

Jesus, next gameplay it is. I was almost at the end of Kiryu money island, but it's way too much time consuming. It's fun, but the rate my backlog grows isn't going to allow to invest a lot more time in a single game >.>

Jesus, next gameplay it is. I was almost at the end of Kiryu money island, but it's way too much time consuming. It's fun, but the rate my backlog grows isn't going to allow to invest a lot more time in a single game >.>

Pity you didn't get them, Kiryu's especially is an absolute blast to use. With the added moves and counters it pretty much ended up as my favourite fighting style as you can chain together moves and counters into some awesome fluid combo's. As its part based on his Yakuza 1 style I really hope Yakuza 1 Remake feels this way in terms of combat system, it'd be a great improvement over the original.

Well Legend mode
resets you to Zero so you would have to build up your characters again, its just like Dead Souls mode in DS

That shouldn't really be too bad. Thankfully its so easy to get money in the main game I should be able to level Kiryu/Majima up again in no time. In a way I guess I prefer it that way, as with Yakuza 3 (golden gun) and Ishin for example its really easy to walk through the games using everything you've earned in previous playthroughs.

Pachimari

If I import this, will I have any chance of following the story with guides and FAQs? I don't understand Japanese.

I just really liked Yakuza 1 back on PS2 and would like to play the series on PS4.

SephLuis

Pity you didn't get them, Kiryu's especially is an absolute blast to use. With the added moves and counters it pretty much ended up as my favourite fighting style as you can chain together moves and counters into some awesome fluid combo's. As its part based on his Yakuza 1 style I really hope Yakuza 1 Remake feels this way in terms of combat system, it'd be a great improvement over the original.

I already had defeated 3 of 5 millionaire guys, but I was getting burned out from coming and going and all that money grind. It was fun, but it was also killing the pacing of the main story to me. Me searching for a lot of side quests also didn't help either.

If I import this, will I have any chance of following the story with guides and FAQs? I don't understand Japanese.

I just really liked Yakuza 1 back on PS2 and would like to play the series on PS4.

There are a couple of great Japanese wiki's that I used to finish off all the side content. Youtube user Salty Yen did a narrated walkthrough of the story which I watched to fill myself into bits of the story I missed. KHH Subs is also working on an excelelnt guide like the Ishin guide he did, he should be updating that imminently with more side missions and such, and should be working then on a story walkthrough later this year.

I already had defeated 3 of 5 millionaire guys, but I was getting burned out from coming and going and all that money grind. It was fun, but it was also killing the pacing of the main story to me. Me searching for a lot of side quests also didn't help either.

Yeah, I totally understand that. I juggled several different parts of the game to try and not kill the pacing. I ended up doing the last billionaire at the end of the penultimate chapter so I basically just had the last fighting style for the final battle.
The last billionaire can be an annoying grind in parts - mainly due to the amount it costs to buy up buildings in the area.

Pachimari

I might give it a try. Should I go for the Asian or Japanese version? It doesn't matter if I don't know any of the languages anyway right?

I might give it a try. Should I go for the Asian or Japanese version? It doesn't matter if I don't know any of the languages anyway right?

I don't think there is any difference content wise. The Asian version is possibly a bit cheaper so that'd be a plus. I'm not sure if the Asian version has a Japanese language option, the only reason why that'd be a plus is that you can match it up to Japanese wiki's if your item hunting or working on the completion list. Otherwise you'd be fine getting the Asian version.

Gacha-pin

I don't think there is any difference content wise. The Asian version is possibly a bit cheaper so that'd be a plus. I'm not sure if the Asian version has a Japanese language option, the only reason why that'd be a plus is that you can match it up to Japanese wiki's if your item hunting or working on the completion list. Otherwise you'd be fine getting the Asian version.

老鬼 is different in Chinese version.
20150529160645199.jpg
20150529160645307.jpg

Desmond

When I'm in Premium Adventure mode, what does making a new clear data from the telephone menu actually do?

Also, how do I unlock the final set of Ultimate Missions?

ubiblu

Hey all, I'm progressing well with the story (Chapter 6 at the moment), and while I haven't had much trouble getting around and understanding basic interactions with my N3 equivalent language abilities, I'm struggling with a lot of the story-driven narrative. Does anyone have a TL;DR summary of each chapter? Literally a couple lines would be all the clarification necessary. Apologies if this type of whining is unappreciated.

Top Bottom