• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Zero: The Promised Land |Import OT| - Party like its 1988!

Kyolux

I might be wrong, but isn't this the time you are asked to buy a cake or something like that ? I bought on the convenience store way up north.

I am also playing this, but I am slow. I lose way too much time with substories and minigames.

I found a video of someone playing through, there's a cutscene it doesn't seem like I have triggered yet. I'm going to see if it's there for me yet or not. If not, I'll go buy a cake. :) Thanks.

Well, it was just that, a cutscene in a corner I needed to trigger.

But now I'm pretty sure I need to buy something for 5 dudes.. They were talking about sake.. so I tried buying some bottles.. but it doesn't work. Thought it might be that cake you talked about? But I haven't seen those sold yet. I'll keep looking around.

lupin23rd

I found a video of someone playing through, there's a cutscene it doesn't seem like I have triggered yet. I'm going to see if it's there for me yet or not. If not, I'll go buy a cake. :) Thanks.

But now I'm pretty sure I need to buy something for 5 dudes.. They were talking about sake.. so I tried buying some bottles.. but it doesn't work. Thought it might be that cake you talked about? But I haven't seen those sold yet. I'll keep looking around.

You have to buy the right kind for each guy. One wants beer, one wants scotch (it's only at one convenience store), one wants sake, one wants some shochu, and one wants champagne (give him gold champagne and you get a trophy for it lol).

Cake is later on :)

SephLuis

You need to buy drinks for the 5 homeless guys. Each of them have a drink preference.

If I remember it right, you need to get whisky, beer, japanese sake, champagne and I do not remember the last one.

The cake part is when Oda asks you to get it.I think it might be a while until you need it.

Kyolux

Thanks, yeah I managed to figure it out last night.

Had a hard time at first because I didn't talked to them a first time to ask what they wanted so that I could give it to them.

Shame about the gold champagne, missed my opportunity on that one. :/

I've been playing way more of this game, up to Chapter 7 now doing Majima's hostess club management stuff. Its insanely addictive, and also surprisingly kind on non speakers of the language so its really easy to get the hang of. I've cleared the Mars and Jupiter sections, but I'm wondering if there is any way of earning even more money? The most expensive moves for Majima are still outside my price range, it'd still take a little while to grind the needed funds to unlock them. Does anyone know if you earn more money the better your rank increases? Also does competing against certain clubs earn you more cash? Or is it a case of raising the platinum and gold girls to as higher levels as possible?

Either way, its an awesome part of the game, I think I prefer it to Kiryu's real estate missions at the moment. Oh, and Majima's dancing style seems to get more awesome the more moves you unlock for it, I really like some of its heat moves!

It's set just two years after Shenmue... Will the game have any Shenmue references?

There's actually one Shenmue Easter egg in this game. In Kamuracho, on the road to the south side of the theatre there is an arcade called the "Game You Amusement Arcade". The name of the arcade in Shenmue is also "Game You". In the retail "another life" part for Kiryu its one of the buildings you can purchase. Its a really neat little nod to the game, I was actually hoping they'd have done more by including maybe a hidden fight against the Chi You Men or something, but I never imagined Shenmue III would ever get announced so I'm not so gutted now!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Just remember to bring a bunch of baseball bats and heat gauge refilling drinks lol. Easiest way to beat him generally.

The easiest & quickest way to earn money is Katsuage-kun. Beat him and then lose on purpose, repeat.

What do you mean by lose on purpose? What happens after you beat him? I've not engaging him in any fights yet, since I'm building up Kiryu/Majimi before I fight those stronger foes (as I've done a couple of fights before, and lost badly. Thankfully I saved before hand!).

I've been making more money going after Club Mercury. Looks like more money once I'm "fighting" against Club Moon.

Also, random question. Where can you get the different types of darts? I purchased some decent darts from the pawn shop but there are a couple more vacant spots which suggest you can pick up some other darts. I was also wondering which darts are best for the mini game? I'm using the ones with the rainbow fins? and they seem pretty decent, at least better than the last set I was using.

Parakeetman

What do you mean by lose on purpose? What happens after you beat him? I've not engaging him in any fights yet, since I'm building up Kiryu/Majimi before I fight those stronger foes (as I've done a couple of fights before, and lost badly. Thankfully I saved before hand!).

I've been making more money going after Club Mercury. Looks like more money once I'm "fighting" against Club Moon.

Also, random question. Where can you get the different types of darts? I purchased some decent darts from the pawn shop but there are a couple more vacant spots which suggest you can pick up some other darts. I was also wondering which darts are best for the mini game? I'm using the ones with the rainbow fins? and they seem pretty decent, at least better than the last set I was using.

If you lose on purpose he takes all of your cash, but that means the next time you see him he has even more on him. Something like that. Beating him the first time gives you a large amount of $$$ fast, then losing allows him to take that, then finding him again gives you a larger amount than if you just find him again normally without losing.

It makes me happy everything someone bump a Yakuza thread.
Do we have any news about release date for the english version of Yakuza 5?

Odrion

Banned
Hi, hello thread. I got a real dumb question but it's late and I'm running on fumes:

What is the ratio here of people who can read Japanese, and people who can play the game through other means ie FAQs or using dark magic to possess the body of a Japanese person?

second dumb question: If this thread has, what I assume, to be a high concentration of posters who can read Japanese... Why not post in that language? It'd be like your own secret clubhouse.

Parakeetman

Hi, hello thread. I got a real dumb question but it's late and I'm running on fumes:

What is the ratio here of people who can read Japanese, and people who can play the game through other means ie FAQs or using dark magic to possess the body of a Japanese person?

second dumb question: If this thread has, what I assume, to be a high concentration of posters who can read Japanese... Why not post in that language? It'd be like your own secret clubhouse.

No idea on the ratio, but a fair number of GAF members and mods can read / understand Japanese.

Because this is an English language forum in general.

失せろ!!

Gacha-pin

As Parakeetman兄貴(or 姐さん) says.

Its been moved to "fall" release.

5's story took place in December, it should move to winter ;)

If you lose on purpose he takes all of your cash, but that means the next time you see him he has even more on him. Something like that. Beating him the first time gives you a large amount of $$$ fast, then losing allows him to take that, then finding him again gives you a larger amount than if you just find him again normally without losing.

Ah, gotcha. I assumed that the money was gone for good if you lost to him so I'd been steering clear for now. I'll give that a shot later then.

In the mean time, I've made real progress with the side stuff on the game. Managed to win fairly big in Mahjong, managed to almost get enough from the darts mini game to be done with it (already got 10 hat tricks), unlocked and beat the high score for Fantasy Zone (which, having never played it before I've suddenly got a big appreciation for the game, its ace!).
Managed to beat some dancing side missions and 3 star Queen of Passion on hard (which was hard for me, my timing sucks!) and I've made more progress on the hostess club management game.

I also did an entertaining side mission with Majima that was regarding medical testing and taking weird pills. Great little story and it made the fights more interesting for sure.

One of the few non hostess related side missions I've got left with Majima (and am stuck with) is the "Mystery of the telephone man". You get a call from a pay phone and a large amount of cash to purchase something for them. Except I don't know what needs purchasing, and from where! Any tips?

I use guides when I have to for the side stuff, and Youtube walkthroughs to brush up on the overall story where need be. The games are fairly simple (in my opinion) to play without knowing the language as they tend to mainly stay the same (or at least have the same template) for each game making it easy for me to jump into new games in the franchise.

Sgblues

Ah, gotcha. I assumed that the money was gone for good if you lost to him so I'd been steering clear for now. I'll give that a shot later then.

In the mean time, I've made real progress with the side stuff on the game. Managed to win fairly big in Mahjong, managed to almost get enough from the darts mini game to be done with it (already got 10 hat tricks), unlocked and beat the high score for Fantasy Zone (which, having never played it before I've suddenly got a big appreciation for the game, its ace!).
Managed to beat some dancing side missions and 3 star Queen of Passion on hard (which was hard for me, my timing sucks!) and I've made more progress on the hostess club management game.

I also did an entertaining side mission with Majima that was regarding medical testing and taking weird pills. Great little story and it made the fights more interesting for sure.

One of the few non hostess related side missions I've got left with Majima (and am stuck with) is the "Mystery of the telephone man". You get a call from a pay phone and a large amount of cash to purchase something for them. Except I don't know what needs purchasing, and from where! Any tips?

Ah for the mystery telephone substory, the items you need are: A 9mm handgun, the Blue Dragon sword, a Tourmaline and the Sakura Fubuki.

All the items(through the 4th one can also be gotten from a substory) can be gotten with weapon/material searching at the dragon and tiger restaurant with Fei-Fu(Slugger style trainer) and his wife.

1: The 9mm can just be bought normally

2: The blue dragon sword(青龍刀) can be gotten in East Asia - Night Market which is "アジア東部"(East Asia) and "ナイトマーケット"(Night Market) which is the 1st choice and people 2,3,4 and 5 have a chance of getting it for you.

3 Tourmaline(トルマリン) can be gotten in India or Western Asia(アジア西部) as its listed and choice 5 "India aristocracy"(インド貴族) and any of the people have a chance of getting some and also choice 7 which the first two people can also get them for you. You can also get them from South America, and choice 1 and people 4 and 5.

4: The Sakura Fubuki can be gotten as a reward from substory 53 "The man who, changed face", which you find at the park Komaki does his training at. The substory involves a young boy with his Mother and the Father who, watches them(if you picked up the story but forgot which it was). You can also get the Sakura Fubuki from searching Japan(日本), choice 7 Showa Samurai(昭和のサムライ) and any of the people have a chance of getting one for you.

Finally had a chance to play through the next few chapters. Special thanks to Sgblues for the help on the telephone booth side story. Your tips worked perfectly to get me through it!

Story wise things have kicked it up a notch. From all the stuff that happened with Majima in chapter 8, to the badass fights in chapter 9 and while I've not done much on chapter 10 the reveal that
Tachibana (sp?) is the guy with the bat tattoo
raises more questions and makes me believe the end game for 0 is going to be something special indeed.

Difficulty wise the game seems to be on the easy side. Maybe because unlike Ishin you can power up fairly quick in this game, so you have access to badass moves earlier. But chapter 9 sees things get tougher which was very welcome. I really hope it continues to get harder, how is EX hard in comparison?

Cat Fights. They suck. Such randomness, but its the button bashing that is driving me insane. Is there any way to "get good" at this mini game?

Sgblues

Hey no problem, glad to help out when it comes to the Yakuza games, well you're up for some more surprises later on in the story!

The game might seem somewhat easy, depending on how use you are to the series and how much abilities you've unlocked and powered up yourself with. But be warned for unlocking "Legend" mode,
Which is the hardest difficulty and resets you back to 0, similar to "Dead Souls" difficulty in Dead Souls

As for Cat fights, its pretty much agreed by most everyone who, has gone through this mini game is to just pick Jennifer(ジェニファー), the Caucasian woman with glasses as she has the best stats to win but it often doesn't seem so(and how!). What's dumb is this mini game does come down to luck most of the times as you gotta try to out mash the cpu and it doesn't matter if you both have the same choice(ex rock-rock) the cpu can still overpower you and do tons of damage with a rainbow colored attack(if not one shot you).

As for tips, well you wanna get rainbow colored attacks, these are the strongest and can mash out extra damage and can one shot your opponents often(if not close to dead) I think Jen often gets sneak attacks at the start of matches(would jump and pin the other girl down for early damage) I dunno what determines this, nor do I know what determines whether or not the cpu would heal itself(I've seen three heals in a match and cpu came back and beat me), also I dunno how the cpu can get back up after being k.o'd sometimes, also the girls can change clothes(like Jen gets a leopard print version of her outfit) which I think is tied to your winnings, which makes them do a bit more damage and be faster(not sure might be eyeballing it), but all in all its pretty much luck and what's funny is that I always thought this minigame was gonna be so much fun when I first saw it but nope, which is a shame.

Thanks for the tips. I've been playing the series from the beginning so it might explain why I'm having an easy-ish time on hard. I've gotten so used to the combat over time! That and I've been doing the side missions etc. as I go so I've managed to clear much of the money island/night island stuff for lots of cash to buy awesome upgrades.

I'll have to give Cat Fights another shot when I have the chance. I think I might have been picking Jennifer (the blonde?) as her stats looked great on screen. Its the button mashing I'm rubbish at, I need to develop a better technique for sure...

Gacha-pin

It's just a gamble game.

Strategy you can take is there are small comments for each girls in the betting menu like she found a 1000yen today, she found her boyfriend cheating on her today...etc. And if a girl got a positive comment, she will be more often to perform a rainbow attack. So you should bet a girl who got a good comment.

It's just a gamble game.

Strategy you can take is there are small comments for each girls in the betting menu like she found a 1000yen today, she found her boyfriend cheating on her today...etc. And if a girl got a positive comment, she will be more often to perform a rainbow attack. So you should bet a girl who got a good comment.

I'd never noticed that stuff at all. Thanks for the tip :)

Any tips for the final scalextric side mission? I've set up a car that is technically faster than the opponent but I'm having a nightmare on the jumps at the beginning of the first/second laps, I'm finding it incredibly difficult to judge the landings without draining the "focus" gauge.

Just finished the game and I can't for the life of me work out how to change costumes in Premium Adventure Mode. Can someone give me some pointers? :)

Edit - Duh, I'm an idiot. Use the phone in the safe house. Bob has the DLC stuff!

Sgblues

Any tips for the final scalextric side mission? I've set up a car that is technically faster than the opponent but I'm having a nightmare on the jumps at the beginning of the first/second laps, I'm finding it incredibly difficult to judge the landings without draining the "focus" gauge.

I remember using this setup

マシン (Machine): クールストライカー (Cool Striker)

タイヤ (Tire): ウルトラバレルタイヤ (Ultra barrel tires)

フィン (Fin): クイックフィン (Quick fin)

モーター (Motor) 韋駄天モーターMark Ⅱ (Idaten Mark II)

ギア (Gear): 極・神速ギア (Godspeed gear)

バッテリー (Battery) ノーマルバッテリー (Normal battery)

サイドステー (Side stay) サイドステー改 (Refined side stay)

サスペンション (Suspension) ヘビーサスペンション (Heavy suspension)

バンパー (Bumper) バンパープレート (Bumper plate)

Didn't have much trouble landing back on the track. though you still could fly off, depending on how you approach the ramp.

Just finished the game and I can't for the life of me work out how to change costumes in Premium Adventure Mode. Can someone give me some pointers? :)

Edit - Duh, I'm an idiot. Use the phone in the safe house. Bob has the DLC stuff!

Congrats on beating it, yeah that confused a lot of people as well since they didn't think of using the phone.

I remember using this setup

マシン (Machine): クールストライカー (Cool Striker)

タイヤ (Tire): ウルトラバレルタイヤ (Ultra barrel tires)

フィン (Fin): クイックフィン (Quick fin)

モーター (Motor) 韋駄天モーターMark Ⅱ (Idaten Mark II)

ギア (Gear): 極・神速ギア (Godspeed gear)

バッテリー (Battery) ノーマルバッテリー (Normal battery)

サイドステー (Side stay) サイドステー改 (Refined side stay)

サスペンション (Suspension) ヘビーサスペンション (Heavy suspension)

バンパー (Bumper) バンパープレート (Bumper plate)

Didn't have much trouble landing back on the track. though you still could fly off, depending on how you approach the ramp.

How do you acquire/apply bumpers? I'm using the default car (forget the name of it) but there is no option to add a bumper plate to the car. I assume I have to use a different model of car? Thanks for the tips, when
I get Kiryu back in Kamuracho
I'll give it a shot.

Meanwhile I'm on chapter 12 and am working on the fighting arena. Damn its kicking my ass at the moment on anything past the first two arena tournaments. I can beat a few of the opponents but some are bloody tough. I think I'll do better when I try it with Kiryu, especially using his heavy beatdown style on the street fight tournament. I just prefer Kiryu's moveset at the moment. Majima's slugger style is too slow and the dance style is way too weak (gets blocked too often) to be of any use. Still my favourite pastime from the series! It'll take me a while to beat all 35 opponents.

ahjuy8.gif

Unfortunately
This is a mod and Haruka will not do awesome shit like this in Yakuza 5.
how are there mods when this series is playstation exclusive?

De_Legend

Banned
Eh, I missed that Y5 was pushed to a fall release.. good job SEGA, I think they just want to bury this franchise in the west at this point, ugh.

Oh when you buy the Don model from Ebisu pawn, you get the bumper included.

Ah. I missed that, I'll have to go purchase that soon.

I'm up to chapter 14 now, holy crap at the last two chapters both in terms of story and fights. Chapter 13 was a tour de force for Majima, the huge battle you have at the end of the chapter really let me play around with the various moves and heat moves from his stances. I purchased an upgrade on his square, square, triangle combo that temporaily blinds the opponent. I then proceeded to grab him from the back and pull off an awesome looking wall heat move that I've not seen until now. Not to mention the dancing style being great for crowd control especially with the mentor heat moves especially the
sword heat move where Majima grabs the sword with his mouth. Only in this series would that ever happen!

Also, I loved chapter 13 solely for the
shoot out which couldn't have been much closer to Virtua Cop if it had tried. Worked really well as a segment as well, though I'd call shooting down a helicopter maybe a tad far fetched!

I really love how versatile the combat system ends up being in this game, the different stances being useful for different situations and many of the moves being awesome to use. My only complaint is that in certain situations, certain heat moves seem useless - in the fighting arena many of Majima's heat moves seem pointless since he requires multiple opponents (for the dance moves) or weapon counters. The "detect concealed weapons" heat move seems like such an awesome idea, but the number of enemies that carry concealed weapons is so woefully low that it seems completely pointless. I've only used it twice since purchasing as I never "sense" any weapons on anyone...

Oh, and Kiryu certainly seems far better suited to the fighting arena. I've already made far better progress with him compared to Majima using mainly his default fighting style, along with knuckle dusters for the weapons round. I also managed to complete a couple of cat fights, I ended up betting the max amount for the heck of it and managed to clear all the Cat Fight related items on the completion list. Still need the trophy for winning 10 tournaments but that can wait...

Definitely looking like it'll be one of (if not) the best entry in the series. The series always has amazing finales in my opinion so I cannot wait to see what this has in store.

Every now and then I still try that disco stuff but keep getting too greedy and killing my combos by screwing up lol

I have a soft spot for "Queen of Passion". I really love that song, pity that its probably the hardest song to 3 star on hard mode. I managed to get in "the zone" a couple of days back and just marathoned that mini game finishing all songs on hard mode. Bar QOP it was ok, took me a few tries but worked out fine in the end.

I'm still undecided if I like the revised completion goals for the gambling mini games. On the one hand it takes me a fraction of the time to finish them compared to past games but having to finish each mini game with a profit can be a pain in the ass for certain luck based games (basically any Japanese gambling games) as I have a habit of winning a little then losing a lot. I tended to just play a single game and quit as soon as I made any sort of profit.
That said Roulette seemed to be way more fun this time round, and my appreciation for Mah Jong grows with every game (since Ishin I've fallen in love with the game). I'm kind of glad that the cheat items were removed as that forces me to actually try each game, rather than cheat my way to victory. In the end its way more satisfying.

Man thats crazy, Ive never gotten a perfect before in karaoke. D:

It's tricky, only because you have to hit every single button press absolutely perfectly. They did a strellar job of timing the presses along with the beats to the music though, especially with Baka Mitai. It's really easy to know when to press if you know the song well enough - you just have to glance at the icons and know what to press!

I have a soft spot for "Queen of Passion". I really love that song, pity that its probably the hardest song to 3 star on hard mode. I managed to get in "the zone" a couple of days back and just marathoned that mini game finishing all songs on hard mode. Bar QOP it was ok, took me a few tries but worked out fine in the end.

It's so cheesy, but it's also my favourite! It's just a case of not being greedy with the steps, as you guys were saying. The animations for Kiryu and Majima dancing are so bad, it's good. Recorded a video of not missing a single move on QOP on Hard mode (I played these mini-games far too much):

https://youtu.be/OABU3aLeTK8

Parakeetman

I'm still undecided if I like the revised completion goals for the gambling mini games. On the one hand it takes me a fraction of the time to finish them compared to past games but having to finish each mini game with a profit can be a pain in the ass for certain luck based games (basically any Japanese gambling games) as I have a habit of winning a little then losing a lot. I tended to just play a single game and quit as soon as I made any sort of profit.
That said Roulette seemed to be way more fun this time round, and my appreciation for Mah Jong grows with every game (since Ishin I've fallen in love with the game). I'm kind of glad that the cheat items were removed as that forces me to actually try each game, rather than cheat my way to victory. In the end its way more satisfying.

It's tricky, only because you have to hit every single button press absolutely perfectly. They did a strellar job of timing the presses along with the beats to the music though, especially with Baka Mitai. It's really easy to know when to press if you know the song well enough - you just have to glance at the icons and know what to press!

https://youtu.be/OABU3aLeTK8

Sega really did do a good job with the minigames and the music stuff. Still stress out every time I play them though lol.

I still need to learn how to properly play mahjong since still dont fully understand the rules. D:

Sega really did do a good job with the minigames and the music stuff. Still stress out every time I play them though lol.

I still need to learn how to properly play mahjong since still dont fully understand the rules. D:

Yeah, the series always puts tons of effort into the mini games, its part of the reason I enjoy the series so much, I always go out of my way to try and learn the rules etc. of different games, bar Shogi which I just cannot get my head round at all after countless tries. Mah Jong though I have a beginners understanding, enough to be able to clear the mini game at any rate (and its damn good fun when it "clicks"). Yakuza 5 still blows my mind with just how much was included in that game, between returning mini games, new ones in each city and the "another life" stuff which were fully fleshed out themselves it took me hours to finish all the content. I'm looking forward to doing it all again once its released in English!

I've always been able to brute force my way to victory in mahjong eventually but shogi is a nightmare.

I usually just end up playing cee-lo a bunch.

Gacha-pin

I've always been able to brute force my way to victory in mahjong eventually but shogi is a nightmare.

I usually just end up playing cee-lo a bunch.

Use a free shogi brower game. Select the highest AI level and follow the way AI is doing in the shogi mini game in RGG.

I just tend to use Barticle's "cheat" guides for Shogi over at Gamefaqs. Each game he ends up posting a way to cheese the AI to complete the Shogi goals in each game. Its not satisfying, but it gets it out of the way.

Many thanks again to Sgblues, your tips to clear the last Scalectrix side mission worked. I didn't have all the parts so I had to fiddle around with the car settings a bit but finally managed to win the race. Quite a satisfying way to finish that mini game actually...

I also cleared all the Shogi missions for the collection list, it was slightly harder to finish this go round as there is no 100% way to beat the AI each time, but its still fairly simple plus I actually gained the tiniest amount of knowledge with that game. Still don't understand it though...

I'm almost done on the side missions now, and I've almost completed the money island side stuff as well.

Man this game. Got back into it and I've put like 20 hours into it this week. A mix of KHH guide (would love for them to complete it) and a few Japanese wikis that work well for clearing substories. They bracket the answers you need to choose!

Any other English guides I could check out? There's one substory for Kiryu that is bugging me because I don't seem to be doing the final bit right.

Top Bottom