• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Zero: The Promised Land |Import OT| - Party like its 1988!

For anyone interested, KHH Subs has announced he's going to be doing a full text walkthrough of the game in English, as he did with Ishin!

Progress will be slow and steady, and he's requested people not to pester him for rushing content along. It's nice he's doing this, as the Ishin! guide really helped with my playthrough of that game.

The first thing you do is to choose a region on the map and select a location in the region. The right side of the screen shows what weapons or items you can expect from the location. And then choose an agent. You can also pay extra cash for better results (rare weapons & items and less lead tiimes).

Thanks! I figured as much. The mini-game isn't really as interesting as I thought it was going to be. There's a lot of just going through menus, running backwards and forwards for weapons I'll probably never use. Oh well. :

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
For anyone interested, KHH Subs has announced he's going to be doing a full text walkthrough of the game in English, as he did with Ishin!

Progress will be slow and steady, and he's requested people not to pester him for rushing content along. It's nice he's doing this, as the Ishin! guide really helped with my playthrough of that game.

Thanks! I figured as much. The mini-game isn't really as interesting as I thought it was going to be. There's a lot of just going through menus, running backwards and forwards for weapons I'll probably never use. Oh well. :

Nice thats great news for others looking to import plus the stuff KHH did was fantastic according to those here at GAF who had used his work for Ishin.

I had been feeling pretty good that my japanese had improved to the point that I could keep up with the story for the most part, until I got deep into Majima's story and all the kansai-ben and story twists have just completely left me in the dust.

ego checked.

at least most of the substories aren't too hard to follow. hopefully someone will do a good story summary at some point.

Gacha-pin

I never care weapons in RGG except in Kenzan and Ishin ;p I guess this is a better system for completionist. You don't have to visit the same dungeon over and over to collectt materials for weapons...

Sgblues

Yeah its gonna be good for helping out people with understanding the game.

Its just too bad he sucks at Space Harrier though hahaha.

I spent so much time with Space Harrier with Shenmue 1 on release that I breezed past the high score and thought I did pretty bad to be honest! I ended up doing fairly well and doubled my score (at least) getting up to around stage 9.

Outrun on the other hand I'm not great at, plus the drivers are pricks and will switch lanes on a whim (hey, its a pretty realistic racing game then!). Took me a few tries to get the high score, but the Japanese wiki suggest that you always tap the breaks going into a sharp turn to prevent drifting from lane to another and that worked out great for me.

Glad to see KHH subs doing a guide, it'll be a great reference guide when its done :)

I cleared chapter 2 a few moments ago, and I may need to regulate my use of the heavy "brawling" style as it seems fairly overpowered at the moment (on hard mode). Being able to quick pick up weapons is the best thing in the game so far for me. Its so insanely handy (and fluid) that I feel like it gives me a real upper hand in battles. And as my heat gauge fills up so fast I feel pretty superior to most enemies so far!

Did more bowling as well, gutted that I missed a "turkey" several times as that's all I need to finish the friendship gauge on that mini game.

I've only quickly dabbled with the car racing part but that looks like a fairly deep and awesome mini game as well, I'll go back to that and focus on it in more detail later on.

I'm definitely liking the side stories in this game as well, some of the best in the series so far. I like that they are implemented in the same style as Ishin - the little intro and outros that each side story gets just make it feel like that side of things in general got more production values this time around. Its a very little thing but something that I really like none the less.

When does Kiryu's Money Island "Another Story" segment start? I rushed through bits of chapter 2 after a while thinking I'd trigger it but I didn't. I'm guessing it'll show up in one of the next chapters?

Did more bowling as well, gutted that I missed a "turkey" several times as that's all I need to finish the friendship gauge on that mini game.

I had trouble with it until I found a working combo. For some reason, using the lightest ball (6lb) and throwing it at about 70-80% power. I don't know why, but the physics of the pins seem to react more to it that way. plus the aiming arrow is way slower on the lighter balls.

When does Kiryu's Money Island "Another Story" segment start? I rushed through bits of chapter 2 after a while thinking I'd trigger it but I didn't. I'm guessing it'll show up in one of the next chapters?

Chapter 5. Majima's starts in chapter 7

Yes! The Ishin guide was incredible.

Sgblues

Yeah as stated, chapter 5 for Kiryu(though you need to be on 6, to get all the kings) and 7 for Majima(but have to be on 8 for all the clubs)

Also just a tip, save your CP for the second and third group upgrades. the second is battle and third is for money island and cabaret stuff, the first group you can do without till you finish the other two,
especially for number 9 in the second group.

I had trouble with it until I found a working combo. For some reason, using the lightest ball (6lb) and throwing it at about 70-80% power. I don't know why, but the physics of the pins seem to react more to it that way. plus the aiming arrow is way slower on the lighter balls.

Chapter 5. Majima's starts in chapter 7

Thanks for the tips, I'll give that a shot.

Yeah as stated, chapter 5 for Kiryu(though you need to be on 6, to get all the kings) and 7 for Majima(but have to be on 8 for all the clubs)

Also just a tip, save your CP for the second and third group upgrades. the second is battle and third is for money island and cabaret stuff, the first group you can do without till you finish the other two,
especially for number 9 in the second group.

Luckily I read before I started about the CP lists so I've not wasted them so far! I've only been upgrading the second list for now and I was waiting to use to many CP points as I wanted to upgrade the Money Island etc. lists early on.

Torraz

Awesome news.

Luckily my understanding of Japanese has increased since isshin, but the majima Kansai-ben sections can still be too hard.

Gacha-pin

I spent so much time with Space Harrier with Shenmue 1 on release that I breezed past the high score and thought I did pretty bad to be honest! I ended up doing fairly well and doubled my score (at least) getting up to around stage 9.

Outrun on the other hand I'm not great at, plus the drivers are pricks and will switch lanes on a whim (hey, its a pretty realistic racing game then!). Took me a few tries to get the high score, but the Japanese wiki suggest that you always tap the breaks going into a sharp turn to prevent drifting from lane to another and that worked out great for me.

Glad to see KHH subs doing a guide, it'll be a great reference guide when its done :)

I cleared chapter 2 a few moments ago, and I may need to regulate my use of the heavy "brawling" style as it seems fairly overpowered at the moment (on hard mode). Being able to quick pick up weapons is the best thing in the game so far for me. Its so insanely handy (and fluid) that I feel like it gives me a real upper hand in battles. And as my heat gauge fills up so fast I feel pretty superior to most enemies so far!

I've only quickly dabbled with the car racing part but that looks like a fairly deep and awesome mini game as well, I'll go back to that and focus on it in more detail later on.

I'm definitely liking the side stories in this game as well, some of the best in the series so far. I like that they are implemented in the same style as Ishin - the little intro and outros that each side story gets just make it feel like that side of things in general got more production values this time around. Its a very little thing but something that I really like none the less.

If I remember correctly, the turkey challenge is not available until you start the money island.

If I remember correctly, the turkey challenge is not available until you start the money island.

Thanks for the heads up on that. I'll give it a shot then in a few chapters time.

Meanwhile I've been playing around with Majima. He got perhaps the most badass intro in the series yet. I loved the whole club intro.

Also, did I just fight a young
Ryuuji Goda?
. Because if I didn't then he must have an identical twin in Osaka!

Also, I somehow managed to get to stage 15 on Space Harrier doubling my previous high score. Damn I can't finish this game quickly if I keep returning to SH every few moments!

Torraz

Just got kiryus 4th style in chapter 5. When are those final seals released?

Also how does it work? All the skills only improve the other styles?

Is there any point to fighting with it?

Thanks

If I'm understanding the Japanese guide I was reading, those upgrades affect all the styles.

as to why use it? It's basically his blue style, but the attack speed builds with the heat gauge which is great if you have some of the high-level combos unlocked. all personal preference though. if you prefer using the heat moves, it's probably less useful than the stock blue style.

Torraz

If I'm understanding the Japanese guide I was reading, those upgrades affect all the styles.

as to why use it? It's basically his blue style, but the attack speed builds with the heat gauge which is great if you have some of the high-level combos unlocked. all personal preference though. if you prefer using the heat moves, it's probably less useful than the stock blue style.

Thanks. Yes, according to the list (if I am reading it correctly) there are 3 groups of upgrades for all styles. Attack power, heat accumulation and hp.

Great news. I've been using the Japanese wiki rough translations to help with side quests a bit. It will be really nice to understand everything going on.

hah, yeah I think so. they don't specifically name him iirc

It has to be him. After seeing the conclusion of that side story it just seems like too much of a coincidence otherwise. Well, that and the face is almost an exact match bar the missing scar.

Does anyone else feel like the Dual Shock 4 makes playing darts feel weird? I always thought I was good at darts in previous games on the PS3 (could get treble 20's easily) but on 0 I can barely manage it and I can't exactly put my finger on it. It either feels like my timing is off or there is some kind of dead zone on the DS4 when it comes to the pull back aiming. Either that or I need to unlock better darts?

Gacha-pin

Thanks for the heads up on that. I'll give it a shot then in a few chapters time.

Meanwhile I've been playing around with Majima. He got perhaps the most badass intro in the series yet. I loved the whole club intro.

Also, did I just fight a young
Ryuuji Goda?
. Because if I didn't then he must have an identical twin in Osaka!

Also, I somehow managed to get to stage 15 on Space Harrier doubling my previous high score. Damn I can't finish this game quickly if I keep returning to SH every few moments!

Yes, that's him. The title of that sub story is, my rough translation, a man who might be called "龍(dragon)". I don't know how this is like in the English version but in the Japanese version, he insists
he is the dragon, not a dragon in the west region of Japan in RGG2. BTW, Daigo is the same age.

Sgblues

Yeah its young
Ryuji
you meet, I mean he's kinda hard to mistake for anyone else, plus its interesting
he and Kiryu would officially meet each other 19 years later.

Torraz

Is there a guide (preferably English) for majimas management game play? How do you keep the girls happy and well rested?

Thanks

Is there a guide (preferably English) for majimas management game play? How do you keep the girls happy and well rested?

Thanks

alright, let's see what I can do. I'm not in front of my PS4 right now so I'm kind of going off memory.

The grand plot of it is to take over all areas by gaining a large amount of fans in each area, which triggers story events. Once you've finished the last event in an area, you've conquered it. At first you can only go for Mars, but afterwards, more areas open up.

The general flow of events is

1. Recruit any girls you can. The easiest way is to buy them at the CP clearinghouse (the third menu). Others are gained by substory progression, progression in the management game, and hiring off the street.
  2. go "buy" fans from any businesses you haven't already done so from
  3. Take care of any staff management
  4. Open for business

Repeat this list until you've done all of 1 and 2 that you need to do.

for #1, there are a number of girls on the street that you can hire. they're pretty easy to spot because they're wearing glittery dresses. You'll need to bribe them with presents that you can buy at Le Marche. If I remember, you'll need 1 purse, 1 piece of jewelry, and 1 thing of perfume for the three girls I hired. Total, not each.

You can find the businesses you'll need for #2 here. It's in no way mandatory but it's a quick and cheap way to increase your fans in a given area. They're available to buy or whatever when you unlock them in the story.

Management/ Maintenance

When you talk to the Maitre 'D, the options on the menu are

-Girl Management
-Open for business

and the rest of the options change depending on what you have available.

You can train your Platinum-tier girls, and you can do it once per one shift they work. So you'll train them, have them work for a shift, repeat. AFAIK, if they don't work, you can't train them again, even if you ran a shift.

For the training, there are three types. Talking to the girls, dancing, and karaoke. Dancing and karaoke are the same minigames you've already played. When you're talking to the girls, you'll be presented with multiple choice situations. Just use this guide and pick the appropriate answers. If you don't speak japanese, feel free to just mash X until the next prompt appears to skip the dialogue.

You can also dress up the Platinum girls, which lets you tweak their effectiveness in specific traits. Since almost all of the pieces of clothing have positives and negatives, I personally try to pick 2 traits and get those as high as possible (the double circle), while not worrying about the other two.

The bottom option on the Girl Management menu lets you change up your active roster. Unlike Kiryu's management game, this one isn't based on real time. Meaning, any girls you shift out of the rotation will recover stamina and happiness by not working when you open for business.

Opening for Business

The second option on the main menu starts a shift. The goal here is obviously to serve customers and keep them as happy as possible so that they pay more.

Frankly a lot of this is pretty straightforward. Seat patrons with girls that are closest to what they're looking for (the smiley faces are the key). If you have to seat someone with a girl with a frowny smiley face, all is not lost. Majima's R1/heat action both raises happiness and restores a small amount of the girls' stamina, so save it for those situations or for when you have a full house.

Every so often, the girls will flag you down with a request. Highlight them, press triangle and it will zoom in on them. They'll make a gesture and a menu will appear. match the gesture with the request, and your guest will gain happiness and tip more.

Scroll down on this guide and there's a handy picture guide with the correct options you'll need to pick.

When the guest is ready to leave, you'll usually have a final chance to raise their happiness and get a boost to the money you've earned. What choices you'll want to pick will depend on their mood. The guide above has a chart with the correct answers. ctrl+f 客の対応の仕方 to skip to it.

If you don't want to mess with that, just pick the second option every time unless it's the ;D face, then pick the first option. There are sometimes better picks than the second one but if you don't want to bother with it, you could do worse.

Torraz

Thanks a lot. Very helpful. I think I understand it mostly, now I just need to memorize which hand motion refers to which text option.

One more question if I may. I received a challenge from the mars club, but am lost as to where to go. In the Tokyo money island it told you where to go when attempting to use the setup table in the office, but not here,

Thanks a lot. Very helpful. I think I understand it mostly, now I just need to memorize which hand motion refers to which text option.

One more question if I may. I received a challenge from the mars club, but am lost as to where to go. In the Tokyo money island it told you where to go when attempting to use the setup table in the office, but not here,

The first question is answered in my edit.

The second question is multi-part. Unlike Kiryu, you don't have to go to a specific location, it's all handled via the menu in the club. if it's a story segment, it'll be the last option on the first menu I think? anyway, it'll say [Mars] or whatever, pick that.

Other times, you need to challenge the owner of that area. That should be the third option I believe (I'm sorry, I really don't remember what they say specifically off the top of my head). Those aren't time sensitive, so you'll want to maybe run a normal shift with your worst employees to rest your best girls, and then use them to challenge the other person.

There's really nothing different than a normal shift when you're challenging them, you'll just see how much money your opponent is making at the same time. all you have to do is make more money (total) than them by the end of the shift. If you win, the story progresses.

I'm sure I missed stuff so just ask and I'll answer the best I can

Torraz

The first question is answered in my edit.

The second question is multi-part. Unlike Kiryu, you don't have to go to a specific location, it's all handled via the menu in the club. if it's a story segment, it'll be the last option on the first menu I think? anyway, it'll say [Mars] or whatever, pick that.

Other times, you need to challenge the owner of that area. That should be the third option I believe (I'm sorry, I really don't remember what they say specifically off the top of my head). Those aren't time sensitive, so you'll want to maybe run a normal shift with your worst employees to rest your best girls, and then use them to challenge the other person.

There's really nothing different than a normal shift when you're challenging them, you'll just see how much money your opponent is making at the same time. all you have to do is make more money (total) than them by the end of the shift. If you win, the story progresses.

I'm sure I missed stuff so just ask and I'll answer the best I can

Thank you. I think I understand moms of it now. Crushed the rival in the battle of shifts.

How do I know that I have defeated a club? I took their platinum level hostess,p but I can still see them in the regular menu. Does that mean they have not been completely defeated yet?

I haven't completed the entire thing yet, but yeah, as far as I can tell once you take their platinum girl you're done. you can just raise more fans there for... some reason? not sure. there might be some benefit I'm unaware of.

Torraz

I haven't completed the entire thing yet, but yeah, as far as I can tell once you take their platinum girl you're done. you can just raise more fans there for... some reason? not sure. there might be some benefit I'm unaware of.

Sorry that was a hasty question. The first line of the Shinogi menu screen says clubs defeated: 1.

Now I just need to decide whether to invest my CP into the Shinogi upgrades, or whether I should go for the ninth battle upgrade...

Torraz

Damn, this game is so good. The story is only getting better.

Is there some trick to darts? I swear when aiming at exactly the same spot I hit different spots on the board at each throw.

in chapter 10 and still no shirtless fistfight ��

Damn, this game is so good. The story is only getting better.

Is there some trick to darts? I swear when aiming at exactly the same spot I hit different spots on the board at each throw.

in chapter 10 and still no shirtless fistfight ��

I can't exactly put my finger on it, having played the darts mini game since its introduction in Y3 I feel that its been tweaked slightly in this one.

I've got it down fairly good though, I can get hat tricks easily now using the second set of darts (the ones I think you unlock when you win your first game against the AI).

I hold back on the left stick and release after about a second. You should through the dart fairly fast, and fairly straight. Do it too earlier and it flies in any direction, wait too long and you'll probably through the dart too low. I still need to unlock more darts and play more though, man I really miss the customisable darts from Y5! I had a killer set back then!

You're not the only one saying so.
~Import Reviewz~

9/10

I kinda hope for a Vita game next. Series sales haven't been doing as well as they once did and maybe a handheld one could respark Japanese interest? Maybe that's also a terrible idea, I don't know.

yup it is the best. yokoyama (横山) stoped writing the script really helped too because lets be frank, he cant write lol.

still, i want them to stick to console. I can simply use remote play if i want to play on vita :p

My birthday is on the 17th I will be getting this and Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2015 to which I will have a smile bigger than the Kool-Aid man when they arrive.

There was a patch today. 1.04. Anyone know what it does? Hoping it addresses the slight screen tearing and fps drops that game gets in the extremely dense areas of the cities.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
There was a patch today. 1.04. Anyone know what it does? Hoping it addresses the slight screen tearing and fps drops that game gets in the extremely dense areas of the cities.

No idea. They didnt include any data on it at the OHP or announced it.

Yup. It's DLC costumes, weapons and items for use in premium adventure mode. I'm fairly sure there have been no performance patches post day one.

Anyone know what to do in chapter 5 when you have to go to the location next to the arcade? Waypoint is there but nothing seems to happen. Tried everything.

Top Bottom