• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Zero: The Promised Land |Import OT| - Party like its 1988!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
glad to see folks enjoying the title.

on a separate related note sega has not yet given a release date for 5s us localization right?

If anyone is having trouble working out what to do in the first training mission
after giving the bums the alcohol. You have to hold square or triangle after getting hit (when Kiryu flashes red.) This let's you do a more powerful counter attack.

I'm not to chapter 5 yet, but does the money island stuff actually earn you spendable cash or is it self-contained to the real estate stuff alone?

Varion

I'm not to chapter 5 yet, but does the money island stuff actually earn you spendable cash or is it self-contained to the real estate stuff alone?
Oh it earns you spendable cash. A lot of it. It's the most efficient way to make money until you can start abusing ありがとうカツアゲ君.

Oh, I've already started abusing him with Majima. I'm sitting on like 5 billion yen that I can't spend right now.

the problem with doing it with Kiryu is that I can't beat that dance mission to get the trouble finder so it's harder to track him down (and Majima's baseball bat style is super OP)

Varion

Oh, I've already started abusing him with Majima. I'm sitting on like 5 billion yen that I can't spend right now.

the problem with doing it with Kiryu is that I can't beat that dance mission to get the trouble finder so it's harder to track him down (and Majima's baseball bat style is super OP)
If you're referring to the dance-off in that substory, you don't actually have to win that (I'm not even sure it is possible to win). Just lose to him and pick the black box anyway.

It's a shame you can't do the actual trick with Majima that I know of though. They give a fair amount anyway, but basically you get the ありがとうカツアゲ君 ability from the shrine with Kiryuu, get a bunch of nail bats, then just lose on purpose, get your money taken, then challenge him again and win by using the nail bat's heat action over and over (stocking up with heat restoration items beforehand so you can keep doing it over and over). The shrine ability increases the amount you get from him by 1.5x, so basically you can just keep multiplying your own money over and over.

ack, I just looked over my notes and realized I was wrong, Kiryu's trouble finder is attached to a different mission. that's good.

I don't really know what the deal with the big guys and Majima is, but there's two of them roaming around, one with a mohawk and another bald one. I just put on the trouble finder, loaded up on Staminan XX and went to town on them with the baseball bat heat move. it knocks them down with one hit, and you can chain it again immediately as they stand up. I did that about 10 times, and the money increased each time I beat them to the point that I literally can't spend what I have right now.

just finished the game. The best ryu ga gotoku to date. Well done. Curious where they will take the series next time?

cant believe majima turn to into such a crazy guy after the story in zero.
probably because he didnt end up with makoto lol

For 5? Kind of. Broken Controller has one here: http://www.brokencontroller.net/rgg-5/ryu-ga-gotoku-5-recap/ that's detailed but the last part isn't finished.

Yimbocarimbo's guide certainly helped me play through the import of the game but the Finale portions are far less detailed than the descriptions of the opening chapters, but it only really translates the non-interactive cutscenes. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/yimbocarimbo/RGG/Games/RGG5/Walkthrough/index.htm

KHHSubs took his videos/descriptions down when news of it being localized was announced.

Thank you very much, reading through Broken Controller's article. Also I played demo of Zero last day and really digging the combat so far. Kiryu is much more violent as well. Being young I guess.

I cobbled these together for those playing the scalextric mini-game.

3I3U2C7h.jpg
t4a3dGe.jpg

It's "grip"

the " is kind of hard to see

e: clockwise from top - Speed, balance, acceleration/power, grip, cornering

サイドステー is literally "side stay" I think, which isn't very helpful. I think it's talking about the side brackets?

Gacha-pin

@Varion, superseohyun

What's your total play time? I'm reaching 50 hours and still in chapter 6. Some of the substories are amazing. There are always the answers that sound totally wrong but hard not to choose. And then I get more laughs less rewards.

Varion

@Varion, superseohyun

What's your total play time? I'm reaching 50 hours and still in chapter 6. Some of the substories are amazing. There are always the answers that sound totally wrong but hard not to choose. And then I get more laughs less rewards.
Finished at 87 hours, at least 50 of which were probably spent doing side stuff. This is the first time I've done all the sidestories in a Yakuza game, though. Though I suppose it helps that none of them are missable this time.

It's "grip"
サイドステー is literally "side stay" I think, which isn't very helpful. I think it's talking about the side brackets?

Yeah. It's the frame that surrounds the vehicle. I take that it means side steady or something - I figured stabilizers made the most sense, even if it isn't a direct translation.

It's tricky getting your car to be balanced just right. The mini-game is a lot of fun, but you need to know what each stat means if you want to stand any chance. Just after I found a build that worked, the
guy behind the counter ran away and now I'm on the first chapter with Majima, so I can't go back and race against the three kids...
Lol. :/

Gacha-pin

Finished at 87 hours, at least 50 of which were probably spent doing side stuff. This is the first time I've done all the sidestories in a Yakuza game, though. Though I suppose it helps that none of them are missable this time.

umm, I don't think I can finish the game in 87 hours.
Currently, my Kiryu has to stay low at his hideout but he is enjoying the night life in Kamurocho lol

if you get stuck, this guide has suggested builds for each track, as well as some tips

http://dswiipspwikips3.jp/yakuza0/substory04.html#37
http://dswiipspwikips3.jp/yakuza0/substory05.html

if nothing else, it gives you a good idea of where you should be in regards to equipment levels per mission.

it gets really expensive really fast.

Thanks! I'm actually quite enjoying just trying to work them out myself, but I'll keep the guide in mind if I do get stuck! :)

My copy has arrived, I've just started playing it and I'm taking it really, really slow in order to soak up the atmosphere.

I played the demo but even then I mainly rushed around trying to play around with the fighting more than anything, so this time around I'm just admiring the little changes and details in the game world. One little thing I noticed that instantly made me smile was the table top arcade games in Cafe Alps, its a really nice little detail.

Other than that I've not done very much, I just unlocked the second fighting style (the rushing boxer style).

I still think the game looks (in comparison to other games in the series) pretty damn nice. The city seems more detailed than before, or maybe that's just the resolution? Either way, the daytime looks much better than Yakuza 5 which was a tad too bright/washed out from what I remember.

My only minor complaint is the tearing, thankfully I'm barely noticing it so far (and it doesn't happen in fights) but I do hope this is fixed for later games in the series on the PS4.

Also, is it just me or does anyone else like the little intro sequences for each Yakuza game? (that mash up the cutscenes to whatever tune they've licensed for the game). They never fail to get me hyped up when starting my game session.

Finished the game and did pretty much everything when it comes to side stuff (85 % completion). Amazing final fight. As far as the story is concerned it's one of the best games in the series to me, mainly because of the feels that only these kind kind of origin stories can evoke. Pretty cool to see the events that made Majima into the lovable crazy fuck everyone knows him as. Playing the first RGG after this game could be interesting, especially because Zero fleshes out the bond between Kiryu and Nishikiyama.

The worst thing about the game is definitely the fact that character growth is tied to the real estate / hostess club management stuff. If you're the type who mainly wants to enjoy the main story without investing too much time and effort into these kind of side activities you're going to end up with extremely gimped characters. It's pretty bad how doing this stuff is basically mandatory. It's also really just time consuming, there is no challenge or smart planning involved.

Loved the different fighting styles. Destroying a group of enemies with Kiryu's Demolition Style ( completely broken if you upgrade it far enough btw ) or just evading everything with the Rush Style is satisfying as hell. Majima's Dancer Style is also amazing.

So yeah, I got my yearly RGG fix and it was good.

Completed the first chapter last night, I was expecting to have the chapter end in the same place as in the demo, instead I was treated to an absolutely badass brawl and boss battle that I honestly wasn't prepared for (I'm playing on hard mode, I had no healing items making things somewhat tough in places!). Also the several heat/QTE moves you do in that level showed just how brutal Kiryu is in this game. Its probably the best start to a Yakuza game I've played yet, past mainline games start off fairly slow but this one got straight into the action and did not hold back.

I also did have a quick chance to play the arcade games. I'm impressed with the detailing of the cabs and the screen options (scanlines/fullscreen etc.) I'm just disappointed that I can't currently find a way to continue (especially in Space Harrier) as it means I can only get up to around round 7 before getting a game over. I'm fairly hopeless at Outrun still!

Also, one complaint - it looks like they've taken away the "save anywhere" option that Ishin had. I wonder what caused them to go down that road? Thankfully they've finally decided to add in a decent amount of save points on the map so its less of a problem but it just seems like a backwards step in my opinion.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Gio Corsi is taking fan questions for an upcoming Q&A with the creators of Yakuza (obviously for Yakuza 5). Tweet him (@giocorsi) with the hashtag #Yakuza5PS and he'll pick the best ones to ask them. The deadline for submission is April 3rd:

https://twitter.com/giocorsi/status/580038754410373120
https://twitter.com/giocorsi/status/580038818851590145

I'm just glad they are doing a Q&A at all, it was worryingly quiet for a while there and I was getting paranoid about the status of the English release. I'm just hoping for a solid release date at this stage.

Gacha-pin

Completed the first chapter last night, I was expecting to have the chapter end in the same place as in the demo, instead I was treated to an absolutely badass brawl and boss battle that I honestly wasn't prepared for (I'm playing on hard mode, I had no healing items making things somewhat tough in places!). Also the several heat/QTE moves you do in that level showed just how brutal Kiryu is in this game. Its probably the best start to a Yakuza game I've played yet, past mainline games start off fairly slow but this one got straight into the action and did not hold back.

I also did have a quick chance to play the arcade games. I'm impressed with the detailing of the cabs and the screen options (scanlines/fullscreen etc.) I'm just disappointed that I can't currently find a way to continue (especially in Space Harrier) as it means I can only get up to around round 7 before getting a game over. I'm fairly hopeless at Outrun still!

Also, one complaint - it looks like they've taken away the "save anywhere" option that Ishin had. I wonder what caused them to go down that road? Thankfully they've finally decided to add in a decent amount of save points on the map so its less of a problem but it just seems like a backwards step in my opinion.

My guess is the game designers don't want players to save their games
in front of Katuage kun
I 'd like to have more taxi stands. Around 劇場前, ミレニアムタワー前 and the near the hideout would be nice.

As for the step back, if I remember correctly, cars are moving around in Kamurocho in RGG5 but they arn't and they go back to the static objects.

I've just gained an ability in Chapter 3, playing as
Goro Majima.
I wondered if someone could actually confirm what it is all about? I think I do have a rough idea, but I'm not 100%. I don't have solid knowledge of Japanese - so it'd help!

It seems I'm able to send scouts out around the world to research the development of weapons. Once they return, I get a text and can then purchase said weapons for use in battle. It's really weird - when you select where you want to go. It seems to be done through little card things with images on, but I have no idea what they mean!

My guess is the game designers don't want players to save their games
in front of Katuage kun
I 'd like to have more taxi stands. Around 劇場前, ミレニアムタワー前 and the near the hideout would be nice.

That makes sense, and yes more taxi's would have been appreciated as I can see that getting annoying later on in the game!

I played around a bit more with a few of the mini games, managed to get a better run on Outrun (enough to get the high score) and also do some of the disco dancing (which is really well done). Also did a few entertaining side missions.

I also played around with the batting cage which seemed interesting. What is the exact objective (completion wise) for the batting cage? As I had a look through the completion list and couldn't find something that corresponded directly to the batting cage.

Gacha-pin

That makes sense, and yes more taxi's would have been appreciated as I can see that getting annoying later on in the game!

I played around a bit more with a few of the mini games, managed to get a better run on Outrun (enough to get the high score) and also do some of the disco dancing (which is really well done). Also did a few entertaining side missions.

I also played around with the batting cage which seemed interesting. What is the exact objective (completion wise) for the batting cage? As I had a look through the completion list and couldn't find something that corresponded directly to the batting cage.
I dont know if you noticed but you can bring the classic style completion list by pressing △ at 達成目録 in the start menu. I belive its like to earn 1000万円 at the batting cage or something like that.

I dont know if you noticed but you can bring the classic style completion list by pressing △ at 達成目録 in the start menu. I belive its like to earn 1000万円 at the batting cage or something like that.

I missed that, thanks :) What is the better course to get money in the batting cage? I see the last two are the ones I need to use, but all I managed to do was lose money! (thankfully I saved before I entered couses.

Ugh, definitely. The constant confirmation-menu driven interaction is such prehistoric game design. I love the series, but its interface and design are essentially that of a PS2 game--albeit with a current-gen graphics engine.

I played through the entirety of Ishin without knowing you could save anywhere. I thought you could only do it at the shrines/prayer stations or whatever. Not that that was ever an issue.

I have a bad habit of glossing over kanji I don't know if it's not actively impeding my progress in a game. :\

Anyway, the phone dating thing is pretty crappy but it's also weirdly forgiving because if you just hold off long enough the correct answer highlights itself. which is better than trying to read pixellated katakana that is backwards and upside down and moving and probably behind another bubble. Definitely one of the weakest minigames in the game though.

Varion

Anyway, the phone dating thing is pretty crappy but it's also weirdly forgiving because if you just hold off long enough the correct answer highlights itself. which is better than trying to read pixellated katakana that is backwards and upside down and moving and probably behind another bubble. Definitely one of the weakest minigames in the game though.
The worst is when the right answer actively sticks behind another one, so you just have to waste 10-15 seconds because there isn't even a pixel of the right bubble that you can hit.

Did some more today, unlocked Kiryu's heavy fighting style that feels like a far more slicker version of Seijima's combat. I love the quick pick up of weapons and the brutal grapple heat moves.

I also just did the
Michael Jackson
side mission. Really funny though I was slightly disappointed that you never got to have a dance off against him.

I also managed to complete the bowling mini game (getting a set amount of money in the split mini game). It was actually nice that they tied something (completion wise) to the split mini game. Bloody hard though, I only managed half of them...

Sgblues

I also just did the
Michael Jackson
side mission. Really funny though I was slightly disappointed that you never got to have a dance off against him.

That's coming up and might I say get ready for awesome when you have your dance off against him, btw his name is Miracle Johnson, and the Steven Spielberg looking guy is Steven Spinning lol

I myself have been playing this and a bunch of other games and haven't been on Gaf much but I'm enjoying myself a lot lol.

That's coming up and might I say get ready for awesome when you have your dance off against him, btw his name is Miracle Johnson, and the Steven Spielberg looking guy is Steven Spinning lol

I myself have been playing this and a bunch of other games and haven't been on Gaf much but I'm enjoying myself a lot lol.

Oh good, I had a feeling they might follow it up at some stage. Also, I wondered if that was supposed to be a
Steven Spielberg
parody but wasn't sure.

Oh good, I had a feeling they might follow it up at some stage. Also, I wondered if that was supposed to be a
Steven Spielberg
parody but wasn't sure.

He looks so dumb. I sort of wish they would make the character models for the ambient characters better, but then part of me always wants them to look this stupid. :p

I swear at one point,
Steven Spinning
went wonky eyed when the camera zoomed in on his face. Incredible stuff.

Torraz

The big bucks guys are getting more and more health bars., but I have only limited inventory slots for Gartner and stamina royals.

Can I somehow improve the weapon / damage for majimas slugger style?

The big bucks guys are getting more and more health bars., but I have only limited inventory slots for Gartner and stamina royals.

Can I somehow improve the weapon / damage for majimas slugger style?

not that I've seen yet, but I'm only in chapter 6.

the most effective method I've found for Majima is to load up on royals and use his standing slugger heat attack. knock him down with it, pop a royal, wait until he stands up and hit him again. repeat. even with lots of health, it doesn't usually take more than 8-10 times

Sgblues

Just training and upgrading improves on his style, eventually you'll be doing a whole lifebar and almost a half in damage on them.

Torraz

Alright, thanks. At the moment, I need around 7 to 8 heat actions per life bar, but I only just entered chapter 5.

Now to look for the enemy finder for Kazuma.

Any suggestions regarding cp spending priorities?

Finished it off earlier today and, no surprise, it was amazing throughout. It was nice going back to just two playable characters rather than four or five, makes the game feel a bit more focused and streamlined. Chapters 10 and 14 were the highlights for me, along with the boss battles in the final chapter.

I think Kiryu's enemy finder is missable so

it's in substory
23 "Miracle in Maharaja." (need to do story 12 first). whether you win or lose the dance-off (you'll lose), make sure you pick the black box.

as for CP, you'll want to get up to #6 on the second chart, which I think is the one that gives you more money from the big dudes, and you'll want everything on the third chart, which is tied to Money Island. even with those you're going to spend a lot of time trying to take care of Money Island stuff so unlock them as early as possible to cut down on your effort.

Torraz

I think Kiryu's enemy finder is missable so

it's in substory
23 "Miracle in Maharaja." (need to do story 12 first). whether you win or lose the dance-off (you'll lose), make sure you pick the black box.

as for CP, you'll want to get up to #6 on the second chart, which I think is the one that gives you more money from the big dudes, and you'll want everything on the third chart, which is tied to Money Island. even with those you're going to spend a lot of time trying to take care of Money Island stuff so unlock them as early as possible to cut down on your effort.

Thank you!

:.....

Damn, this game is awesome, probably my favorite in the series.

The one thing I don't like, is the escort missions.

Gacha-pin

Finished the second part of Kiryu and back to Osaka.
I can't ignore the !s. I do all of them before advancing the story. I love some lines from young Kiryu's sub stories.
「大人の俺にも全てがわかっているわけじゃない。奥が深いんだ。ベッドの下には隠すな。あそこは危険だ。」
「うん。お兄ちゃんは何かすごく大切なことを言ってる気がするんだ。」
「フッ、大きくなれよ。」

「一生の不覚だ。試合に勝って、勝負に負けた気分だぜ…」

They are typical but funny.

I think the substories and side activities open up too early. I'm worry a bit that I don't have anything but the mail story when I reach around chapter 10...

I've just gained an ability in Chapter 3, playing as
Goro Majima.
I wondered if someone could actually confirm what it is all about? I think I do have a rough idea, but I'm not 100%. I don't have solid knowledge of Japanese - so it'd help!

It seems I'm able to send scouts out around the world to research the development of weapons. Once they return, I get a text and can then purchase said weapons for use in battle. It's really weird - when you select where you want to go. It seems to be done through little card things with images on, but I have no idea what they mean!

The first thing you do is to choose a region on the map and select a location in the region. The right side of the screen shows what weapons or items you can expect from the location. And then choose an agent. You can also pay extra cash for better results (rare weapons & items and less lead tiimes).

I feel like Majima's club management stuff is way more complicated than it really needs to be but weirdly I'm having a good time with it. forget minigames, it's basically an entire game unto itself.

but yeah I feel like this is going to be like Ishin in that the first "half" of the game is actually about 80+% and the last chunk of chapters will just fly by.

May16

just finished the game. The best ryu ga gotoku to date. Well done.
You're not the only one saying so.
~Import Reviewz~

9/10
This is the best Yakuza game to date — the result of 10 years spent not just perfecting a formula, but adding to it.

Curious where they will take the series next time?
I kinda hope for a Vita game next. Series sales haven't been doing as well as they once did and maybe a handheld one could respark Japanese interest? Maybe that's also a terrible idea, I don't know.

Top Bottom