• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yes, The Last Guardian has gone gold

Fly Trico, Fly!

giphy.gif

The ICO & SotC HD Collection is still one the highest scored remasters to ever be released, and it didn't come out that long ago. As long as the game isn't fundamentally flawed in some way, like broken controls or something, then it should do relatively well with the press. I do think that elevated expectations due to its protracted development will mean it won't be received quite as favourably as the previous two Team ICO games though.
I think if it released in its original window it would have faired better, a lot of "artsy" games as theyre called have come out since sort of dulling the impact.

I still think its gonna be a great game and will get rated favourably, just probably not AS favourably if it had been a few years go. Hope im wrong

silva1991

I think if it released in its original window it would have faired better, a lot of "artsy" games as theyre called have come out since sort of dulling the impact.

I still think its gonna be a great game and will get rated favourably, just probably not AS favourably if it had been a few years go. Hope im wrong

Yeah it will review well(80+well). Just probably not 90+ will.

A lot of artsy games, but none quite like an Ico or SoTC. In some ways, it's kind of how DOOM was for shooters. The originator and popularizer of that kind of game finally arriving for the modern era.

A lot of artsy games, but none quite like an Ico or SoTC. In some ways, it's kind of how DOOM was for shooters. The originator and popularizer of that kind of game finally arriving for the modern era.
I agree none of the games that came out since really feel the same, Ueda games tend to be a cut above. Hopefully it doesnt suffer critically for the current market its releasing in. I really want this game to do well

jett

D-Member

It does seem a bit dated, especially with its puzzles that revolve around pulling and pushing shit around. I mean, after all, the game design dates from 2009 and earlier.

As far as I'm concerned the "artsy" genre has made huge strides since the glory days of Ueda. With games like Flower and especially Journey, you could even say he's been left behind.

Zukkoyaki

How can Horizon: Zero Dawn have a much bigger budget than a game that has been in active development for 9 years?

Maybe because TLG hasn't been in active development for 9 years? It was shelved, they worked on other games and brought it back when it was time.
Also need to factor in the number of staff working on it as well as wages.

Developing in Amsterdam is more expensive than Japan.

I agree none of the games that came out since really feel the same, Ueda games tend to be a cut above. Hopefully it doesnt suffer critically for the current market its releasing in. I really want this game to do well

I can agree about "hopefully it doesn't suffer critically for the current market its releasing in" but on the contrary, I would also argue this is the perfect market, currently, for releasing this game. The market needs a game like this. It's, well, a different type of game compared to many we are seeing today!

It does seem a bit dated, especially with its puzzles that revolve around pulling and pushing shit around. I mean, after all, the game design dates from 2009 and earlier.

As far as I'm concerned the "artsy" genre has made huge strides since the glory days of Ueda. With games like Flower and especially Journey, you could even say he's been left behind.

Not that I've played it yet, but doesn't Inside involve pushing shit around? Y'know, Inside, one of the most critically acclaimed games of 2016 thus far.

jett

D-Member
Not that I've played it yet, but doesn't Inside involve pushing shit around? Y'know, Inside, one of the most critically acclaimed games of 2016 thus far.

Indeed it does.

That sure was some surreal shit.

Too bad these ICO-inspired games don't seem like they're ever going to evolve beyond the ol' push crate/swing from rope mechanics. It's about time we put a moratorium on this crap. The puzzling was pleasant although mostly pretty simple, usual trial and error stuff.

The game is really pretty though, aesthetically it's immaculate. I was amazed that it was running on Unity as well. Just fantastic art design and tech. Uncharted schmarted. INSIDE and The Witness are the best looking games of the year.

Overall I had my fun and it was worth it just for the pretties. Just wish it had congealed into something that I cared about narratively.

:p

1) Execution trumps all. Have you played Stephen's Sausage Roll or Snakebird?

Also your comment implies that because a puzzle concept is old, or simple, that it's bad and/or boring. A mechanic is as good as it needs to be for that individual game. How would Inside or TLG benefit from harder complex puzzles, besides being more difficult?

2) Flower and Journey are "artsy" in complete different ways. Ueda's games have a lonely elegance to them, majestic worlds that offer hints a larger culture and civilization, very focused mechanics that combine storytelling with gameplay. They aren't zen or minimalist in the way that Flower or Journey were. They may all fall under that artsy umbrella (although I think stuffing Ico and SoTC in that category does those games a disservice) but they're very different kinds of games

I can agree about "hopefully it doesn't suffer critically for the current market its releasing in" but on the contrary, I would also argue this is the perfect market, currently, for releasing this game. The market needs a game like this. It's, well, a different type of game compared to many we are seeing today!
I guess this is true too to aome degree. Its definitely nice seeing a AAA game of this type coming out in this climate. Usually its more the indie scene

Indeed it does.

:p

Your personal feelings aside, the press at large is still happy to tolerate that sort of thing given the critical response, and that's what the discussion was originally about.

Not that I'm too keen on games relying on hoary conventions like crate pushing myself (Limbo took a dive in its second half because of this, as far as I'm concerned).

Steak&Cheese

Neo Member
Maybe I'm naive, but I kind of still think its going to be good despite being delayed for a million years. The pedigree of the devs is too strong.

firelogic

Uncharted 4 and Rise of the Tomb Raider had a lot of puzzles where you pull and push shit around too. That's just how you do environmental puzzles. What else is there other than pulling shit, pushing shit, and taking small objects (keys) and placing shit?

I love Journey and Flower but they are 2 hours long. And that's mostly the trend for "big" artsy games nowadays (2/3 hours experiences). Ueda games are 10-15 hours long games and for me it makes a difference...

jett

D-Member
1) Execution trumps all. Have you played Stephen's Sausage Roll or Snakebird?

Also your comment implies that because a puzzle concept is old, or simple, that it's bad and/or boring. A mechanic is as good as it needs to be for that individual game. How would Inside or TLG benefit from harder complex puzzles, besides being more difficult?

2) Flower and Journey are "artsy" in complete different ways. Ueda's games have a lonely elegance to them, majestic worlds that offer hints a larger culture and civilization, very focused mechanics that combine storytelling with gameplay. They aren't zen or minimalist in the way that Flower or Journey were. They may all fall under that artsy umbrella (although I think stuffing Ico and SoTC in that category does those games a disservice) but they're very different kinds of games

1) I have not played them, but sausage roll seems like a pure puzzler.
And what's wrong with something that demands more out of your brain? However, I'll say this much about Inside, I'd rather have an even more straightforward experience over having to push shit around to climb a dilapidated ladder for the umpteenth time in a game.

2) I disagree with a lot of what you've said here. I place stuff like Flower, Journey, Braid, Limbo, Inside (and many others) kind of in the same group as something like ICO. You could even say that some "walking sims" are also another form of this sort of "arthouse" experience. And although not as extremely minimalist as Jenova Chen's games, I very much consider ICO and SotC to be great examples of minimalist storytelling.

Your personal feelings aside, the press at large is still happy to tolerate that sort of thing given the critical response, and that's what the discussion was originally about.

Not that I'm too keen on games relying on hoary conventions like crate pushing myself (Limbo took a dive in its second half because of this, as far as I'm concerned).

Yeah I guess.

Uncharted 4 and Rise of the Tomb Raider had a lot of puzzles where you pull and push shit around too. That's just how you do environmental puzzles. What else is there other than pulling shit, pushing shit, and taking small objects (keys) and placing shit?

Well, in the case of games like Uncharted those environmental "puzzles" seem to exist to mask loading more than anything else. And there's more to puzzling than just pushing stuff around.

If some developers want to keep using this crutch, well go right ahead, but it just feels tired and old to me.

Ratrat

Flower and Journey are not anywhere near Team Ico level. Most of the artsy games heavily inspired by them, like Brothers or whatever still not matching these 10 year old games is exactly why The Last Guardian shouldn't have too much trouble succeeding. Remember that Majin game that looked like a TLG ripoff?

firelogic

Well, in the case of games like Uncharted those environmental "puzzles" seem to exist to mask loading more than anything else. And there's more to puzzling than just pushing stuff around.

If some developers want to keep using this crutch, well go right ahead, but it just feels tired and old to me.

What would you do to improve environmental puzzles? Honest question. There aren't a lot of options beyond pushing boxes, pulling levers, putting key objects in holes, and jumping on things to make platforms go up and down. Those are the givens. Then you have wrinkles like aiming a light source at another object to make something move or open/close.

Uncharted 4 did have a lot of crate pushing but it had a lot of different things too. Can't just cherry pick the one thing you didn't like.

It had:
1)deciphering symbols to find out where a key item is.
2)pointing lights at an object to make something happen.
3)using a weight and pulleys to make something happen.
4)turning cranks in proper order while traversing the environment to make something happen.
5)investigating paintings for clues and matching it with correct sigils.
6)Turning various wheels to manipulate light and symbols.
7)traversing a death maze.

To simply say Uncharted 4 just had you pushing crates is an understatement.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is also a lauded game. It has the same types of things with the added, shoot something with fire to make it burn and dislodge and a lot of jump on things to weigh it down and shoot something with a rope arrow.

Ratrat

What would you do to improve environmental puzzles? Honest question. There aren't a lot of options beyond pushing boxes, pulling levers, putting key objects in holes, and jumping on things to make platforms go up and down. Those are the givens. Then you have wrinkles like aiming a light source at another object to make something move or open/close.
His idea seems to be along the lines of moving flower petals for two hours or hopping around in a desert and enjoying the scenery.

jett

D-Member

Well you could have an actual brain teaser in lieu of the same old stuff. The puzzles in the Uncharted series are dead-simple, but I don't knock it against the game since it's not a puzzle game at heart at all.

The Witness is a great example of amazing puzzle design in gaming. Braid is still amazing. Both from the same dude.

But really, my problem stems from slowly pushing shit around, of which I'm way beyond fed up of doing. I'd rather have nothing in place of that. It's this particular brand of "puzzling" that I'm truly tired of.

Well you could have an actual brain teaser in lieu of the same old stuff. The puzzles in the Uncharted series are dead-simple, but I don't knock it against the game since it's not a puzzle game at heart at all.

The Witness is a great example of amazing puzzle design in gaming. Braid is still amazing. Both from the same dude.

But really, my problem stems from slowly pushing shit around, of which I'm way beyond fed up of doing. I'd rather have nothing in place of that. It's this particular brand of "puzzling" that I'm truly tired of.
How in the world would Braid/Witness-style puzzle design benefit Inside? Those games are fantastic for what they do and have masterful puzzle design, but Inside would not be a better game with complex brain teasers. If anything, that would hurt the pacing, gameplay, and tone

Obviously the framerate would be abysmal on PS3, but the graphics in general look about as mediocre as could be for a PS4 game. But then again, Ico and SotC didn't exactly look hot back in the day.

The animation could not.have been done on ps3 bruh, and I'm sure you can run any current gen game on ps3 if "playable" was not a requirement. Quit trying so hard. Rinse your mouth of the salt.

jett

D-Member
How in the world would Braid/Witness-style puzzle design benefit Inside? Those games are fantastic for what they do and have masterful puzzle design, but Inside would not be a better game with complex brain teasers. If anything, that would hurt the pacing, gameplay, and tone

It's just an example. I probably agree with you. Like I said before, I'd rather have perfectly fine ladders instead. I see no point in being made to slowly push a crate around.

Top Bottom