• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yet another rant about shitty PSN speeds and Sony incompetence

cjp

While not the same as OP's problem, let me just highlight the PS4's (same with PS3's) complete and utter shit wireless chips.

These screenshots were taken minutes ago:

PS4 using wireless:

bRfHhHz.png

PS4 using 'wired':

qwXh1N7.png

Wait, 'wired'?

Yes, 'wired'. What you're seeing in the second screenshot isn't even a true PS4 > Ethernet > Router wired connection. It's actually PS4 > Ethernet > Laptop > Wireless > Router.

Of course, this is really annoying for me. I either go through the pain of swapping a cable between PS3/PS4/Laptop every time or suffer a massive speed decrease.

Then there's the fact that if I want to take advantage of any standby/remote downloads I'll have to either a) leave laptop on and sharing connection or b) continually swap connection settings.

I have probably only ever used Wifi on either PS3 or 4 around once or twice so I cant really comment on that aspect but when it c omes to general speed PSN varies a lot.

On PS3 my wired (Plus DMZ etc)speed used to be around 1-3Mbs when my actuall capability was at the time around 12Mbs, the Vita was a olittle better but so far the PS4 pretty much maxes out my speed and downloads everything super quick.

There is definitly an issue on Sony side though considering how much it varies for people but I suppose that could be ISP issues to.

Taker34

Banned
Oddly enough my dl speed (Germany/near Munich) depends on the device I use (server locations are very important!).
So with my 12mb/s connection I usually get these results:
X360: 3mb/s
PS4: 4-6mb/s
Steam: 3-9mb/s
Origin:10-12mb/s
PS3: 2mb/s

I can't complain about PSN speed (except for those oddly capped PS3 downloads)

Shahed

My speeds on PS4 are the same as the ones I get (got?) on PS3, 360 and PC. My connection is by and large maxed out. The only things that gets shit speed is the Vita. It wasn't always the case when I was with Talk Talk several years earlier, but was fine upon switching to Sky, and even later BT Infinity.

Sony definitely has something wrong on their end though. While I have no problem, my sister does and too many people. have these issues that make the speeds seem all over the place

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Some peoples ISPs are nerfing PSN, Live etc. I know for a fact college campuses and even apartments around them do. Pretty annoying but what are you going to do. Comcast is/was nerfing netflix until they paid so yeah.... That's net neutrality for you.

This could be a problem, and is certainly real.

SAiLO

How is it incompetence on Sony's part if they haven't even launched their consoles there?

Have to agree with the above. Once PS4 is officially available then speeds for Chinese PSN should be decent. Not sure if this will affect your download speeds from EU/US Stores.

I'm getting tired of everything around PSN just my PS4 in general. We have these rants all the time and I rarely see one for xbox (which is great)

Ever since the latest 1.7 update I've been having so many problems. Friends list not loading meaning I can't send invites and this sucks during my streams. Friend requests don't load and everytime I want to broadcast and have it show up on Live From Playstation, shows up on twitch just fine, I have to rebuild the database every single day.

This also brings me to the store updates and useless stability updates that dont seen to stabilize anything. The store updates hours after I get out of work (get out at noon est) but the xbox has everything updated before I even wake up in the morning. I don't know what's going on and why it's like this but I hope this changes.

My rant is over and this is in no way a Xbox better than Ps4 because I love my PSQuad and play on that way more. Just wish these things were fixed and improved upon.

funkypie

Banned
While not the same as OP's problem, let me just highlight the PS4's (same with PS3's) complete and utter shit wireless chips.

PS4 using wireless:

bRfHhHz.png

PS4 using 'wired':

qwXh1N7.png

Wait, 'wired'?

Yes, 'wired'. What you're seeing in the second screenshot isn't even a true PS4 > Ethernet > Router wired connection. It's actually PS4 > Ethernet > Laptop > Wireless > Router.

Of course, this is really annoying for me. I either go through the pain of swapping a cable between PS3/PS4/Laptop every time or suffer a massive speed decrease.

Then there's the fact that if I want to take advantage of any standby/remote downloads I'll have to either a) leave laptop on and sharing connection or b) continually swap connection settings.

There are plug sockets with Ethernet ports that are wireless that you could use. Very cheap.

Derpcrawler

People chanting shit like "Lol China, Lol no official support". First of all, that's not how internet works, especially since clearly there is no routing problems to US for me if you look at first post. Second, they didn't read my first post. I said, I have access to private VPN in one of LA biggest datacenters hooked up directly to level3 backbone via 10Gbps fiber, which operates outside of US shitty ISP systems and all BS on tier 1 backbones (like of that of level3), they couldn't give even 2 fucks about your net neutrality. I get 150-250Mbps through that VPN to anywhere in US. Yet on PSN I see only 40-45Mbps, even on that.

3531725866.png

www.quadranet.com/company/los-angeles/

Being told by idiots who have zero clue on IT and networks that it's anything but Sony problem is insulting.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but statements and assumptions some people make in this thread are mind boggling

I'd definitely wager it being an issue on Sony's side. Steam and other download services are incredibly quick, no issues.

PSN downloads vary from being super quick to agonisingly slow, wired or wireless makes no difference.

Jesb

Psn is awful for me in comparison to steam. I get like 10mb/s on steam, on psn it's just 1-2mb/s. It took an indie title like transistor over 2 hours on psn, that's just awful. It goes this way wired too.

cripterion

I also get shitty speeds on PSN (as opposed to Xbox Live or Steam/Origin/Uplay on pc) but the absolutely worse is the Vita's Wifi quality, it's just plain awful, even my Samsung smart TV has a better Wifi and I find it to be terrible.

CLEEK

PS4 using wireless:

bRfHhHz.png

PS4 using 'wired':

qwXh1N7.png

Wait, 'wired'?

That's nuts, and nothing like the results I get.

The results I get between wired and wireless are pretty much identical. My PS4 is less than a metre away from my router, and I've used inSIDDer to make sure the wi-fi channel
I used has least interference from my neighbours.

There's something fucky going on with your wi-fi set up. Change channel for starters/ It seems like the PS4 is getting a shitty signal so is running at a lower throughput than it can do.

Download inSIDDer 3 (freeware) and put your laptop next to your PS4. Check out the signal strength and see if you're getting any overlap from near by wi-fi signals. Wi-fi quality is variable, and your environment can have huge impacts over getting a good signal or not. Also check in your router settings if you can boost the wireless signal.

fqskSZq.jpg

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

This has been an ongoing debate for years. I had my XBox 360 and PS3 both connected on the same router and both hard wired. Why are games downloading on average faster on the XBox 360? My guess, which could be totally off since I know very little about this, is Microsoft has many more servers in comparison. I also noticed that PSN seemed to not be able to handle extreme loads as well.

At one point I was getting better download speeds on PS3 than Xbox 360, but the last few years have been total shit. Downloading stuff on the Vita is awful and really annoys me when I get a new game and have to wait like 2+ hours for a few gigabytes. The PS4 download management is also dumb because as far as I can tell you can't really pause or organize queued items, so if it's already downloading a patch or something before your game you either have to cancel it or wait for it to finish.

People chanting shit like "Lol China, Lol no official support". First of all, that's not how internet works, especially since clearly there is no routing problems to US for me if you look at first post. Second, they didn't read my first post. I said, I have access to private VPN in one of LA biggest datacenters hooked up directly to level3 backbone via 10Gbps fiber, which operates outside of US shitty ISP systems and all BS on tier 1 backbones (like of that of level3), they couldn't give even 2 fucks about your net neutrality. I get 150-250Mbps through that VPN to anywhere in US. Yet on PSN I see only 40-45Mbps, even on that.

3531725866.png

Being told by idiots who have zero clue on IT and networks that it's anything but Sony problem is insulting.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but statements and assumptions some people make in this thread are mind boggling

Maybe it's because they don't get the issue because they aren't connecting via VPN's etc? for what it's worth, I can download from the Hong Kong or Japan stores just fine here in London UK, I get my full available bandwidth on my X1 or PS4, but I also used to on PS3 and 360.

I'd do more investigation around packet loss to Akamai DC's, try capturing some IP's and then running some pings and traces to them, connected to the VPN and not connected.

DirtyLarry

PSN's speeds, or lack thereof, are obviously down to location, so to make a definitive claim one way or the other about it's speeds, or lack thereof, for all PSN users, is not taking into account the entire population of the planet earth.

With that said I am one of the fortunate ones where my PSN speeds are fantastic. And they are indeed faster than Live for myself. Again, I do consider myself fortunate, as I have read many, many stories about it being the exact opposite for people around the globe.

PS Store in general has got a lot of issues. I've got wireless on my desktop PC (due to where router is) and its flawless, nearly full 75mbps down. All my other wireless devices such as my TV, laptop, mobile phones and tablets have zero issues

However, with PS Store its insanely slow. I can't even play game trailers or videos; they simply don't play. Download speeds are atrocious as well.

Hubble

Maybe I don't know any better but speeds on PSN have always been serviceable. Nothing crippling a la BF4.

Also, even though your intentions may be good, ranting isn't going to get Sony to instantly get their shit together.

Is this a joke? More publicity of the issue can cause Sony to act.

Derpcrawler

Maybe it's because they don't get the issue because they aren't connecting via VPN's etc? for what it's worth, I can download from the Hong Kong or Japan stores just fine here in London UK, I get my full available bandwidth on my X1 or PS4, but I also used to on PS3 and 360.

I'd do more investigation around packet loss to Akamai DC's, try capturing some IP's and then running some pings and traces to them, connected to the VPN and not connected.

The region of the store has no effect on location from where you download content from since content is duplicated on each of CDN nodes, just as it is with Steam/Live, it supposed to be "the fastest". So if you have HK account you probably still download from UK/Central EU CDN.

As guy before suggested to listen and monitor PSN connection when routing through PC and then manually edit DNS tables on DD-WRT, I did just that today. There are 3 Akamai CDN that resolve around me: Singapore (78ms), San Jose (146ms) and Los Angeles (128ms), all 3 have 0% packet drops. All three give me 3-8Mbps, with Singapore being slowest (despite having better latency and closer location) and LA being fastest at 7-10Mbps on average it seems. And I have EU account, I tried EU Akamai CDN nodes, but those give me really bad results at 1-2Mbps or huge packet drops which is expected since link between Asia and EU is much worse than between Asia and US.

Coolade

3531725866.png

inz3nXE4fOqv.gif

Personal insults don't really help people care about your problem.

blazeuk

PS4 speeds are ok for me, certainly not as good as the competition but a massive improvement over the awful speeds I get on my PS3, usually have to leave it running over night to download the PS+ games whereas other services would have the same thing done within an hour (all my devices are wired too). Vita download speeds could be faster too.

RayMaker

Banned
Myabe its some secret Chinese government thing crippling sony speeds?

Downloading stuff has always been more a less the same on my 360 and ps3, but game performance has always been superior on my 360.

Its no coincidence that the majority of people say xbox has better online.

You seem to know way more then I do when it comes to internet connections and how they work. So I dont know what you could do, have you tried contacting sony, twittering Shu?

Maybe other sites like kotaku will pick up on this article and post it as news which will get sonys attention.

GeoramA

Anyone know why my Wi-Fi works great on PS3 but sucks so bad on PS4?

I can run the PS Now beta fine on my PS3, but not on PS4. It's only getting 1/3 of the speed my PS3 gets.

Omakone

Neo Member
I would suggest the issue maybe your ISP. When I used the local cable company as an ISP, I was paying for 50mb down and would get 35-40 on my Mac Pro directly connected to the router and would only get 5-10 on my PS4.

I recently switched to the local DSL and I am paying about 75% less per month for 40mb down. When I run the speed test on my Mac Pro, I am getting between 41-45 and I am getting 35-40 on my PS4.

I have tried the PS4 both wired and wireless and only see a very minor dip in speed (usually less than a 5mbs difference between them)

For reference I am using an Apple Airport Extreme router and a monoprice 8 port gigabit ethernet switch.

I wonder if part of the issue maybe the distance to the nearest PSN server ffor China. Since Sony does not really have a footprint in China, the nearest server could be over a thousand miles away depending on where you are in China. Since Microsoft does have a footprint via other services, their server maybe much closer, resulting in a better experience.

The Llama

The network test is the PS4 always reports lower speeds than you can actually download at, at least in my experience. Once I download games/patches, they download pretty much as fast as my internet can go.

I have worked as a network admin over 8 years and worked with computers (from nearly almost ever Company and OS) even longer.

Your issue is your wording. Again you continue to blame the PSN, I suggest doing a browser based test to test your connection. You do not need PSN access to access the internet through your device. If your device as a whole is performing slowly then it isn't a problem with the service.

Lkr

PSN has always been so much slower than XBL for me. Part of the reason why I am more likely to get an xbone

Derpcrawler

I would suggest the issue maybe your ISP. When I used the local cable company as an ISP, I was paying for 50mb down and would get 35-40 on my Mac Pro directly connected to the router and would only get 5-10 on my PS4.

I recently switched to the local DSL and I am paying about 75% less per month for 40mb down. When I run the speed test on my Mac Pro, I am getting between 41-45 and I am getting 35-40 on my PS4.

I have tried the PS4 both wired and wireless and only see a very minor dip in speed (usually less than a 5mbs difference between them)

For reference I am using an Apple Airport Extreme router and a monoprice 8 port gigabit ethernet switch.

I wonder if part of the issue maybe the distance to the nearest PSN server ffor China. Since Sony does not really have a footprint in China, the nearest server could be over a thousand miles away depending on where you are in China. Since Microsoft does have a footprint via other services, their server maybe much closer, resulting in a better experience.

Why XBL pushes 150-200Mbps for me then? Looking at connections established Xbox One connects somewhere in Seattle and California, no connections to Asian IPs whatsoever. If ISP would throttle anything, why don't they throttle P2P and services like Origin and Uplay?

Origin and Steam pull content at 150Mbps+ as well, in Steam it Auto selects server in LA as well, even though there are steam CDN servers in China and Hong Kong.

Derpcrawler

I have worked as a network admin over 8 years and worked with computers (from nearly almost ever Company and OS) even longer.

Your issue is your wording. Again you continue to blame the PSN, I suggest doing a browser based test to test your connection. You do not need PSN access to access the internet through your device. If your device as a whole is performing slowly then it isn't a problem with the service.

How do you do browser test from PS4 with it not supporting Java or Flash. Please enlighten me, and as I said wiring it through Gigabit Ethernet made no difference, and connecting via VPN that is sitting on level3 backbone only gave 40-50Mbps, despite it clocking 150-250Mbps when tested through PC.

cjp

There are plug sockets with Ethernet ports that are wireless that you could use. Very cheap.

Yeah, I've looked at those before but when I last checked reviews they seem mixed and I seem to remember people citing security issues with them. I'll take another look.

That's nuts, and nothing like the results I get.

The results I get between wired and wireless are pretty much identical. My PS4 is less than a metre away from my router, and I've used inSIDDer to make sure the wi-fi channel
I used has least interference from my neighbours.

There's something fucky going on with your wi-fi set up. Change channel for starters/ It seems like the PS4 is getting a shitty signal so is running at a lower throughput than it can do.

Download inSIDDer 3 (freeware) and put your laptop next to your PS4. Check out the signal strength and see if you're getting any overlap from near by wi-fi signals. Wi-fi quality is variable, and your environment can have huge impacts over getting a good signal or not. Also check in your router settings if you can boost the wireless signal.

fqskSZq.jpg

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Is there, though? I mean the second picture is still using wireless - it's just bypassing the PS4's chip and using the laptop instead. All other devices in my room, like my phone and iPad don't suffer such a huge drop off either, just the PS3 and PS4.

I'll definitely check out your recommendation though and see what comes up. Thanks.

CoG

Use google DNS servers. Problem solved

Never use Google DNS servers. If you use Google as your primary DNS CDN edge nodes are not going to resolve based on your physical location, meaning streaming video and downloadable content are going to be slow because you may be pulling bits from across the country rather than an edge in your city. Not to mention it gives Google another avenue into spying on your shit.

gogogow

I used to get full speed with the PS4 (not with PS3/Vita, they both were slow as fuck) I don't know what happened in the last two weeks, but the speed went from 9-10MB/s to like 0.5 - 1MB/s. But when I do a internet connection test I get a quite fast 60Mb/s. My internet speed is 90Mb/s. But there's obviously something wrong with Sony's servers.

Since PS4, my download speeds are faster than Xbox One. But i use cable and not Wifi. Never liked wifi unless i have no choice to use it. Even though Wifi on Xbox is better, the signal is still weak anyway and i don't want to game seriously online using Wifi.

Even Vita downloads are fast for me, like really fast. Could it be that you're in China and that there's less servers close to you to serve you better ?

Anyway, in my case, i'm not complaining.

bob page

I use a wired connection on my PS4 but my speeds have been amazing since launch. Night & day difference between my PS3 on my 15mb connection.

MxBxM

Banned
Ethernet cable is the best way to go. I just cannot understand people gaming online on Wi-Fi.

The reason I say this is because 90% of the time, people on Wi-Fi have slow connections, messing up the fluidity of any online game.

I'm a long time FIFA player and when I get into matches with people that have bad connections is so frustrating and messes up the way I play.

Having said that, I have played FIFA on both the PS4 and X1 and I experienced a lot more crappy connection on PS4 than on X1. So I only play it on X1 now, screw the PS4 version.

Also, PS store always has a problem loading.

CLEEK

Is there, though? I mean the second picture is still using wireless - it's just bypassing the PS4's chip and using the laptop instead.

Is your laptop in the exact same place/orientation as your PS4? Probably not. It's amazing how variable wi-fi can be, especially if your neighbours have wi-fi. You can move a device a few cm and the signal strength can double.

DirtyLarry

I am actually quite surprised at the amount of people who say they use a wireless connection for gaming on their consoles.

So my question is a simple one, is it you do not have the option to hard wire your consoles?

Perhaps it is my years of PC gaming and it originally not even being a feasible option, or perhaps it is just I never use wireless unless I absolutely have to, but I have gone through great lengths (including but not limited to running a 100 foot wire through walls, my attic, and then down through a closet) to get all of the devices in my home hardwired.

Granted I am a homeowner and do not rent so I can do what I please, but even before I owned my home and lived in an apartment I hardwired everything there too, just needed to use a lot of fancy cable management and concealment.

Just found it very interesting the amount of people using wireless over wired. I would think people would choose wired every time if given the option, but I imagine a lot of peoples circumstances do not allow them to do so.

I've got gigabit internet (all consoles hardwired using a gigabit switch) and just to download the Wolfenstein patch on my PS4 it took more than 20 minutes.

On my computer, a 5gb file such as this takes less than a minute usually. I've yet to download anything of that size on my Xbox but I know that Killer Instinct downloaded & installed in less than 5 minutes.

Something is definitely wrong with their servers.

I have never had a case where PSN didn't cap my download. It's always been rock solid for me since the start of PS3 (that I can remember.)

The only downside is I'm only rocking a 5mb connection, so yeah.

The Llama

I am actually quite surprised at the amount of people who say they use a wireless connection for gaming on their consoles.

So my question is a simple one, is it you do not have the option to hard wire your consoles?

Perhaps it is my years of PC gaming and it originally not even being a feasible option, or perhaps it is just I never use wireless unless I absolutely have to, but I have gone through great lengths (including but not limited to running a 100 foot wire through walls, my attic, and then down through a closet) to get all of the devices in my home hardwired.

Granted I am a homeowner and do not rent so I can do what I please, but even before I owned my home and lived in an apartment I hardwired everything there too, just needed to use a lot of fancy cable management and concealment.

Just found it very interesting the amount of people using wireless over wired. I would think people would choose wired every time if given the option, but I imagine a lot of peoples circumstances do not allow them to do so.

For me, I'm wired at my apartment, but thats because its a studio so all my electronics are grouped together in one area. When I lived with my parents, I had my consoles either downstairs in the living room or in my bedroom on the 3rd floor. The router was on the 2nd floor, so it would have been way, way too much trouble to bother wiring them. I imagine most people who use wireless are in similar situations.

Top Bottom