• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yet another rant about shitty PSN speeds and Sony incompetence

Never use Google DNS servers. If you use Google as your primary DNS CDN edge nodes are not going to resolve based on your physical location, meaning streaming video and downloadable content are going to be slow because you may be pulling bits from across the country rather than an edge in your city. Not to mention it gives Google another avenue into spying on your shit.

It's solved all my problems.

BokehKing

Banned
Thought this was going to be a ps3 thread because psn was horrible on there, I've had nothing but remarkable improvements with ps4's psn. It's incredibly fast, thread title is a little misleading.

Gestault

inz3nXE4fOqv.gif

Personal insults don't really help people care about your problem.

He was "insulting" so far reacting to someone who he believes didn't have the technical background to reasonably dismiss his analysis as nothing. And it's worth pointing out that "didn't read lol" posts are a bannable offense, because they convey you don't care what the other person has to say.

MJLord

I am actually quite surprised at the amount of people who say they use a wireless connection for gaming on their consoles.

So my question is a simple one, is it you do not have the option to hard wire your consoles?

Perhaps it is my years of PC gaming and it originally not even being a feasible option, or perhaps it is just I never use wireless unless I absolutely have to, but I have gone through great lengths (including but not limited to running a 100 foot wire through walls, my attic, and then down through a closet) to get all of the devices in my home hardwired.

Granted I am a homeowner and do not rent so I can do what I please, but even before I owned my home and lived in an apartment I hardwired everything there too, just needed to use a lot of fancy cable management and concealment.

Just found it very interesting the amount of people using wireless over wired. I would think people would choose wired every time if given the option, but I imagine a lot of peoples circumstances do not allow them to do so.

I'm the same way. For people who aren't mental about running long cables about. I've had pretty good results with the Powerline adapters. You plug them into a power socket in the wall then put your ethernet cable in there.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/netwo...working/727_7090_70097_xx_xx/xx-criteria.html

Alista

I was getting 10-12 on an 80Mbit connection when using wifi, once i switched to wired it leapt up to 55 and stayed there or thereabouts.

The biggest issue I have is the damn Vita. It is appallingly slow for downloads, it sits around 2-3 at the most and a 1GB download can often take 3-4 hours. I've tried this on a variety of different wifi access points as well and I simply can't get the performance out of it.

They became really unresponsive to any criticism or suggestions after PS4 destroyed Xbox One in sales. It took them 6 months to allow us to dim lights on DS4, even though people were asking to allow them to turn it off completely.

This is a really surreal suggestion. Sony are "unresponsive" because they are a huge organisation where things take time to get done.

My PS4 and Vita (and PSP when I had one) seem fine, but my PS3 has always been truly awful. I'm not kidding when I say it took me two months to download all of the Siren: Blood Curse chapters.

After countless hours and wasted money on port-forwarding services, I just gave up. It does help to set up auto-downloads overnight if you have PS+. Not sure if it's any faster, but at least I'm not aware of how slow it is then! It did download Remember Me over one, so that is a lot better than two months. Try that if you have the option.

How do you do browser test from PS4 with it not supporting Java or Flash. Please enlighten me, and as I said wiring it through Gigabit Ethernet made no difference, and connecting via VPN that is sitting on level3 backbone only gave 40-50Mbps, despite it clocking 150-250Mbps when tested through PC.

Try Test my Net . TMN uses only your web browser - no Flash, no Java. Works well. Gives similar results to internal speed test from machine in comparison to my PC.

My downloads on PSN move faster than I can count them out loud.

It's usually 1.5 Megabytes per second for content. I can't complain about that.

Playstation isn't even in your country officially. Talk to your politicians about your internet filtration policies, maybe then Sony servers would respond quicker without having to get to you through several proxies/DNSes

LakeEarth

My PS3 wifi is so bad, it can't even give me 1080p for Netflix. It constantly goes to 1080p, down to 240p, back up to 1080p like 3 times an hour. Is the wireless adapter THAT BAD?

Even though it isn't that much better, at least my PS4 doesn't have that problem.

All test performed today (except Xbox One, but I think that is not necessary). Realistically is there a way to pressure Sony to fix this? I know, majority probably don't have as much problems, but it still sucks especially when you know for sure that it's Sony a fault here. They became really unresponsive to any criticism or suggestions after PS4 destroyed Xbox One in sales. It took them 6 months to allow us to dim lights on DS4, even though people were asking to allow them to turn it off completely.

On the separate note - didn't Sony learn anything? Why they cheapened out on 5Ghz? They are pushing 4K and all other BS like 1080p 3D streaming which requires bandwidth that 2.4Ghz can't provide. Even Wi-Fi AC in couple of years will become a bottleneck.

/rant

OP, I was with you up to here.

I can relate to things being rocky. The PlayStation store take minutes to load for me. I was getting 4-5mbs from wifi (mind you, my PS4 is sitting right next to it). And there's a whole list. Then to top it off , I don't feel anyone should have to play with settings just to get their stuff to work. It should just work right out the box. It's completely ridiculous off rip. I'm not going into dns settings etc etc just for my wifi speeds to be up there.

But.... I wouldn't say this is something Sony doesn't know. Obviously for them to act incompetent to the issue, they would have to act like it doesn't exist and that's not simply true. Wasn't Kaz just at some event talking about how they are investing in huge data farms? Someone could link it to you, but they aren't sitting on their ass waiting for this thing to figure out itself. Just because they aren't promising the world by speaking the loudest, does not mean they aren't doing anything. This isn't a Sony defense either but just looking at this situation without blowing off the top. Criticizing them about it more and more doesn't move the process any faster. They can't just build a data farm tomorrow and everything works again. MS didn't just start getting better at this yesterday.. With them it took time so this one will as well.. I'll give MS for actually future proofing that Wifi card (stupidest thing Sony could of did damn well knowing Japan and other countries have waay faster Internet than in the US etc.)

I would say hop on twitter and hit up the Sony reps to get some feedback on this issue.

Naminator

Banned
Sony PSN has ALWAYS been and looks to always be complete and utter garbage when it comes to download speeds dude.

I live in the US with a 100mb/s connection, and all the games on Steam, XBL, and Origin download extremely fast, games like BF4 which is like 25+ gigs downloads in about 40 mins or so max.

Not a while a go I purchased Demon's Soul's on the PS3 because I never played it before(I wish I still hadn't) and it took me more than 2 hours to download and about an hour+ to install the fucking thing, and the game is only 7Gigs in size.

Ohhh and my PS3 is on a wired connection sitting like a meter from my router, so don't give me non of that "it's something wrong on your end" bullshit.

This has nothing to do with PSN or "Sony incompetence". If it was a problem with the PSN everyone would have this problem. It's most likely a router or ISP issue on your end. I max out my connect on my PS3,Vita and PS4.

ElfArmy177

I know ranted about this a lot in other threads which was offtopic but I just can't take Sony BS anymore, I tried everything and still PSN works like shit for me. I don't know what to do. I live in China, so I have to resort to buying overpriced imports, waiting for oversea shipments or buying digital. I have both PS4 and Xbox One, as well as PS3/360/Vita. Not a single service including Uplay, Steam or Origin give me as much trouble as PSN. I really want to buy games on PSN despite shitty EU prices, but speeds just don't allow me when it takes 3 days to download average (20-25Gb) game. Recently I was buying games exclusively on Xbox One where I get 100-200Mbps speeds and it takes less than an hour to download 40-50Gb, Child of Light, Trials, Wolfenstein and Watch_Dogs just recent ones.

The only time I get at least 20-30Mbps from PS4 is when I route it through PC using private VPN, even then it's picky in terms of servers, my VPN provider has like 7 servers in Los Angeles through which I get 100-300Mbps, only 1 of them gives me 20-30Mbps on PSN while 200-400Mbps to other services like XBL or Steam, rest give me 3-4Mbps as my main connection (only PSN). How can Sony charge for their shitty service with such shitty CDN which is so picky on routing even to major exchange points and data centers? Watch Dogs was the last straw for me, wanted to download it on PS4, saw 47 hours remaining timer and just said screw it and bought digital version on Xbox One, took me less than 20 minutes to download there. I don't even want to talk about random bullshit maintenance that just D/C you from games, happened at least 5 times to me since launch in Nov where toast pop about PSN downtime and kicks me out of the game for 3-4 hours or more.

Xbox One and PC are both using Wi-Fi AC. I know 2.4Ghz is shitty, but it's not that shitty. Just switching my Wi-Fi adapter on PC to 2.4Ghz mode I still get 70-80Mbps. I actually said fuck it and bought 10m Ethernet cable just for the sake of testing PS4 on wired connection - there is zero difference, so if you going to say "Le Lol, Wi-Fi" or "Lol, shitty chinese internet" just don't bother, since I have decent connection and as I said switching to wire didn't change speeds at all.

Just a few pics so people won't call me a liar:

Xbox One

PS4

My internet speeds to different locations:

All test performed today (except Xbox One, but I think that is not necessary). Realistically is there a way to pressure Sony to fix this? I know, majority probably don't have as much problems, but it still sucks especially when you know for sure that it's Sony a fault here. They became really unresponsive to any criticism or suggestions after PS4 destroyed Xbox One in sales. It took them 6 months to allow us to dim lights on DS4, even though people were asking to allow them to turn it off completely.

On the separate note - didn't Sony learn anything? Why they cheapened out on 5Ghz? They are pushing 4K and all other BS like 1080p 3D streaming which requires bandwidth that 2.4Ghz can't provide. Even Wi-Fi AC in couple of years will become a bottleneck.

/rant

You need to change your DNS settings to open DNS or Google DNS. Trust me. Its your ISP, not Sony. Your ISP is bottlenecking psn. Same thing was happening with me. I made a thread on it before actually and it helped other people.

I asked a mod last time I believe to add a fix to the op title because it actually works.

kn1ves24

Try Test my Net . TMN uses only your web browser - no Flash, no Java. Works well. Gives similar results to internal speed test from machine in comparison to my PC.

I'd be interested to see results from this when ran in the PS4 browser. It should work since its HTML5 based. (I have not personally used this on PS4) I would do one connected to the VPN and one not connected. Would also be useful to see wired connection tests not just wifi.

My first instinct is to blame ISP filtering of some type but the VPN mostly rules that out. I'm wondering if there just isn't something wrong with the PS4. Wonder if something is just wrong/faulty with the network chipset. I'm just stabbing in the dark here, I have no knowledge of the PS4's hardware architecture.

CoG

You need to change your DNS settings to open DNS or Google DNS. Trust me. Its your ISP, not Sony. Your ISP is bottlenecking psn. Same thing was happening with me. I made a thread on it before actually and it helped other people.

I asked a mod last time I believe to add a fix to the op title because it actually works.

Changing your DNS is not going to stop your ISP from packetshaping. The bits are still going to stream from PSN and no matter who resolves the hostname, Google or your ISP, the content still comes from PSN. DNS is long out of the equation at that point.

I'd be interested to see results from this when ran in the PS4 browser. It should work since its HTML5 based. (I have not personally used this on PS4) I would do one connected to the VPN and one not connected. Would also be useful to see wired connection tests not just wifi.

My first instinct is to blame ISP filtering of some type but the VPN mostly rules that out. I'm wondering if there just isn't something wrong with the PS4. Wonder if something is just wrong/faulty with the network chipset. I'm just stabbing in the dark here, I have no knowledge of the PS4's hardware architecture.

For me it was 2 Mb slower than my PC and 4 Mb lower than my supposed max speed (tests having been falling short recently on multiple devices).

EDIT

Same. Some isps bottleneck Sony content. Att bottlenecked mine.

This makes so much sense now.

Cmagus

It's been hit and miss for me. Anything on the PS3 downloads really fast 100% of the time but PS4 not so much. Killzone downloaded really fast but Wolfenstein took almost 28 hours. Most indie stuff is super quick though.

ElfArmy177

Changing your DNS is not going to stop your ISP from packetshaping. The bits are still going to stream from PSN and no matter who resolves the hostname, Google or your ISP, the content still comes from PSN. DNS is long out of the equation at that point.

I went from 1.5mbps to 30mpbs on psn when I changed it.. Tested it over and over. Trust me, it was the DNS. There was no other explanation. I worked on the problem for days and days.. Only thing thst fixed it was DNS server changes.

CoG

I went from 1.5mbps to 30mpbs on psn when I changed it.. Tested it over and over. Trust me, it was the DNS. There was no other explanation. I worked on the problem for days and days.. Only thing thst fixed it was DNS server changes.

Are you on Comcast?

gruenel

This has nothing to do with PSN or "Sony incompetence". If it was a problem with the PSN everyone would have this problem. It's most likely a router or ISP issue on your end. I max out my connect on my PS3,Vita and PS4.

It's not like there's this one single PSN server that behaves exactly the same way for everyone dude.

But sure, it's a router problem when literally every other service works fine and only on PSN it takes me 10 hours to download Watch Dogs.

Just because it works for you doesn't mean it's a solution for everybody. Changing DNS doesn't do shit for me, and my provider isn't throttling anything.

Hugstable

Banned
Are you on Comcast?

I'm on Comcast, what do I need to do to go about fixing my download speed issues? Don't really know much about DNS settings, but if I can't get better speeds on my Sony systems then what I get now that would be amazing. Everything, my PS3, PS4 and Vita all have slow download speeds compared to any other system/ my PC and now that you guys bring it up, I'm thinking it might really be Comcast bottlenecking me. Just want to know how I would go about fixing this? I went all digital recently, so something like this would be an lifesaver.

cjp

Is your laptop in the exact same place/orientation as your PS4? Probably not. It's amazing how variable wi-fi can be, especially if your neighbours have wi-fi. You can move a device a few cm and the signal strength can double.

Right now it's about 2 feet away but when I first started setting it all up they where practically next to each other.

Anyway, I'll use that program and report back.

As the other poster said, changing your DNS away to a third party would have absolutely zero effect on whatever traffic shaping your ISP does. DNS does not work that way.

It's great that for you changing DNS worked, but it would not affect ISP traffic shaping at any level.

The only way to get around ISP enforced traffic shaping would be things like VPNs, which if you read OPs post, he already has.

FYI, for UK gaffers, TalkTalk no longer traffic shape at all.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Maybe its my router but speeds have been great on PS4 and wireless PS3.

I have had 3 wireless routers and the results are the same horrible performance with the PS3 and even worse with the PS4. It was not even usable at a friends house ever other device was fine but the PS4 that had constant drop outs to the point I turned off the WiFi. I have both hardwired right now so its not an issue. The PS4 has the worst wireless chip I have ever encountered in any device .

Caayn

Mmmm, just did the test on that site but the results are the same as with the internal test. In fact I also ran the site on my Xbox One and frankly it gave almost the same result as on the PS4, which is a sign to me that the site simply isn't up to par with sites as speedtest.net

Same. Some isps bottleneck Sony content. Att bottlenecked mine.
Your problem is that you assume that every ISP, also outside of the US, throttles bandwidth as heavy as your ISP does. I've never noticed that I'm being throttled by my ISP. All my devices manage to get to the limit of by bandwidth except for my Playstation 3/4 and Vita (but I'm giving the Vita a free pass since it's wifi only).

And besides the OP is using a VPN, so there goes your theory.

OP I Think you're complaining/ranting about the wrong thing here,it's a suggestive test connection and even says so. How long is it actually talking you to install or download content on the PS4 ? Opposed to the xbox one ?

Pain

Banned
Stopped reading at "I live in China".
The console isn't officially released there yet. There's a reason for that.

ElfArmy177

Mmmm, just did the test on that site but the results are the same as with the internal test. In fact I also ran the site on my Xbox One and frankly it gave almost the same result as on the PS4, which is a sign to me that the site simply isn't up to par with sites as speedtest.net

Your problem is that you assume that every ISP, also outside of the US, throttles bandwidth as heavy as your ISP does. I've never noticed that I'm being throttled by my ISP. All my devices manage to get to the limit of by bandwidth except for my Playstation 3/4 and Vita (but I'm giving the Vita a free pass since it's wifi only).

And besides the OP is using a VPN, so there goes your theory.

I'm saying it throttles Sony traffic... Not all traffic.

Caayn

I'm saying it throttles Sony traffic... Not all traffic.
Sure my ISP throttles only Sony traffic but leaves all my other connections that use a lot more bandwidth perfectly intact. But keep insisting that peoples ISP is the problem and not Sony.

ElfArmy177

Sure my ISP throttles only Sony traffic but leaves all my other connections that use a lot more bandwidth perfectly intact. But keep insisting that peoples ISP is the problem and not Sony.

OK fine man. I remember a thread on another forum where someone went into great detail on how and why it works. And yes it was the ISP doing it.

I really don't give a damn if you don't believe me, all I'm saying is that it worked for me and other people.

Caayn

OK fine man. I remember a thread on another forum where someone went into great detail on how and why it works. And yes it was the ISP doing it.

I really don't give a damn if you don't believe me, all I'm saying is that it worked for me and other people.
Please provide a link to the thread. Otherwise your argument is as good as "A brother from a friend of a uncle of my best buddy said...".

Also if you knew what you're talking about you knew that changing your DNS doesn't prevent your ISP from throttling you. But what do I know, I'm just a guy who studied network engineering for a while.

ElfArmy177

Please provide a link to the thread. Otherwise your argument is as good as "A brother from a friend of a uncle of my best buddy said...".

Also if you knew what you're talking about you knew that changing your DNS doesn't prevent your ISP from throttling you. But what do I know, I'm just a guy who studied network engineering for a while.

If it works or works. Sorry man, do a Google search yourself. This one took me 5 seconds

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1314424/at-t-and-psn-updates-patches-problem

Not the one I was talking about however. I'm at work, I'll find it later.

lynux3

Maybe it's a CDN issue. Obviously Sony doesn't have DCs all over the place, but yeah bad routes, tiers, etc. will do it. Not exactly the most efficient way to send chunks of data over a VPN and expect good performance. Sure that speed test looks good, but real world downloading a file like that is going to be far worse than some speed test. Sucks man, hopefully they pick up the support.

With Sony Computer Entertainment Hong Kong going online maybe they can start building out better infrastructure or at least expanding.

Edit: Err Shanghai is what I meant.

Caayn

If it works or works. Sorry man, do a Google search yourself. This one took me 5 seconds

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1314424/at-t-and-psn-updates-patches-problem

Not the one I was talking about however. I'm at work, I'll find it later.
Quickly reading through that thread looks like AT&T is to blame. And yet here we are dozens of people outside of AT&T operating range still having speed issues with PSN. As I said before not every ISP throttles bandwidth, and certainly not as heavy as USA ISPs do.

My response below also goes for you.
You may have written the original post that helped me out on GAF lol. I think you used this link:

http://www.giantbomb.com/playstatio...ith-the-psn-downloadsupdates-are-slow-559107/

Practically every network connected platform has to deal with DNS. What Sony does wrong is that they rely that the DNS records you get returned are the fastest ones. At your first connection you should be internally reconnected to the closest server to you. Which Sony apparently doesn't do.

ElfArmy177

Quickly reading through that thread looks like AT&T is to blame. And yet here we are dozens of people outside of AT&T operating range still having speed issues with PSN. As I said before not every ISP throttles bandwidth, and certainly not as heavy as USA ISPs do.

My response below also goes for you.

Practically every network connected platform has to deal with DNS right? What Sony does wrong is that they rely that the DNS records you get returned are the fastest ones. At your first connection you should be internally reconnected to the closest server to you. Which Sony apparently doesn't do.

Maybe not all do... However.. My point was still correct that it was an ISP issue in my case. Thanks for getting defensive about it though as I never questioned your professional competency in network engineering.

AxelLund

Banned
Exactly my biggest problem with Sony! I was so freakin dissapointed when i tested the speed of my PS4 on day one, I thought htey would learn from the PS3. They have absoutely no excuse. I just hope enough people will rage so they can either replace or offer a good wifi adapter. /rant

TRios Zen

Sadly I have similar problems on my PS3 as well. Xbox One, 360, PC's, Tablets and to a lesser extent my PS4 all get great download speeds.

PS3 is slow as hell, wired, and slower than that on Wi-Fi.

It's why I've never considered PS+ membership before my PS4; what's the point of having access to monthly games if it takes days to download them. Add to that the install error I've been getting recently and that's a big "no thank you".

Was hesitant to buy the PS4 because of this, as I am likely to embrace an all digital future. Fortunately it looks as if connection speeds have been better there so far.

Top Bottom