• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoru no Nai Kuni first screenshots, limited editions announced

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Higher res screens from the other thread:
55548ABA4F66AE0035
55548ABE4F7E5A0026
55548ABC4F34A30003

HUD kinda reminds me of Folklore. Do we have any gameplay details besides being an ARPG?
If you can't understand why people don't pick up on contextual clues as well in a language they don't speak as their native tongue...
You don't need to understand the language to know different words are different.

Would you confuse a game called God of War and a game called I dunno, Bill goes to War if you didn't know english?

Sevyne

I was in the process of preordering it when I saw the previous thread and thankfully realized it wasn't a Ni no Kuni sequel before it was too late. It seems I'm somewhere in the middle then.

Looks like Antwhippy thinks you're in idiot :(

I'm sure he's just upset though.

Well in his defense, you were going to preorder a game based off a single word. A game from a totally different Dev, with a clearly different style, and you expect people not to feel that way? Who the hell places a preorder based off a single word when knowing zero about something? I think you know the answer to that.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Wonder how close to SMT they are going to go with their contract-demon summon system.

Kinda want random negotiations.

Well in his defense, you were going to preorder a game based off a single word. A game from a totally different Dev, with a clearly different style, and you expect people not to feel that way? Who the hell places a preorder based off a single word when knowing zero about something? I think you know the answer to that.

It was real close too. I had entered my credit card information and everything. It was only when I was considering whether to get normal shipping or expedited shipping that I decided to re-read the game title and then look up some screenshots of the game.

HUD kinda reminds me of Folklore. Do we have any gameplay details besides being an ARPG?

You don't need to understand the language to know different words are different.

Would you confuse a game called God of War and a game called I dunno, Bill goes to War if you didn't know english?

Maybe. What about sequels like Warhawk to Starhawk? If someone saw a game titled World of Jets, might someone think it was World of Tanks related?

Falk

that puzzling face
I still don't see how you can read "Yoru no Nai Kuni" as "Ni no Kuni". It's one more word and a lot more characters. The only similarity is the "Kuni". I mean, even "Starcraft" and "Warcraft" are a lot closer in terms of Levenshtein distance!

"Yoru no Nai Kuni" is an anagram for "Your a Ni No Kuni"

... Okay, I got nothing.

I actually wouldn't even fault someone for purchasing this after seeing the screens. It's got the same UI, same name, same genre.

And it's anime. Looks more similar than Lily Bergamo and Let It Die, and those two were the same game!

Sevyne

I actually wouldn't even fault someone for purchasing this after seeing the screens. It's got the same UI, same name, same genre.

And it's anime. Looks more similar than Lily Bergamo and Let It Die, and those two were the same game!

I kind I had a feeling you were just screwing with people. Now I'm absolutely sure you are.

Sami+

How is it being Japanese making it any more confusing than English? Its just a word being used in another title. Do you also confuse Minecraft as a new StarCraft game?

These threads are going to be extremely irritating.

Because I don't know what "No Kuni" actually means. On the flipside people do know what "craft" means.

Sevyne

Because I don't know what "No Kuni" actually means. On the flipside people do know what "craft" means.

I still don't see how that makes any difference. I don't know any Japanese and not once confused this for Ni no Kuni. A word is a word. It can be used for other things that aren't that thing you like.

You don't know what No Kuni means but you know that "No Nai Kuni" and "No Kuni" don't mean the same thing

If Ni no Kuni meant "Love in Death's Wake," or something, Yoru no Nai Kuni could be "That Damn Love in Another Death's Wake." Imagine you don't know japanese, and what I said will make sense.

If Ni no Kuni meant "Love in Death's Wake," or something, Yoru no Nai Kuni could be "That Damn Love in Another Death's Wake." Imagine you don't know japanese, and what I said will make sense.
Well okay, and that jumps to being the same franchise how, exactly?

There's a bunch of games with "Densetsu no" in the name, if you saw them together would you think they are all Zelda games?

Christhor

Just stop answering that baiter, guys.

So if this is releasing in August in Nippon, it should probably release spring/summer-ish in America and Europe, right? That doesn't sound too bad.

Well okay, and that jumps to being the same franchise how, exactly?

There's a bunch of games with "Densetsu no" in the name, if you saw them together would you think they are all Zelda games?

If it had "Zelda"(or "Zeruda" or whatever Zelda is in game titles in Japanese) then hell yeah.

Kuni is the biggest word in "Ni no Kuni." It's also at the end. I don't even know what that means, so I see "no Kuni" at the end of a game title, I'm already looking to order it online.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
It might be counting up and your rewards depend on how much time you spend in battle. 15 minutes seems like it would be too much for a time limit clocking down.

I hope it's toggleable then since I don't really need a visual representation unless I was trying to cut down on battle time.

Hikami

If it had "Zelda"(or "Zeruda" or whatever Zelda is in game titles in Japanese) then hell yeah.

Kuni is the biggest word in "Ni no Kuni." It's also at the end. I don't even know what that means, so I see "no Kuni" at the end of a game title, I'm already looking to order it online.
My japanese isn't perfect so someone could give you a more accurate translation but going by the kanji used
Ni no Kuni - literally 'Second Country'
Yoru no Nai Kuni - 'Land with no Night' or 'A land without Night'

Durante

Nah, I meant that in context of GUST fans have had timers shoved down their throats for quite some time now.
The way you put that makes it sound like a bad thing. I haven't played Shallie yet, but I'm still skeptical that an Atelier without an element of time efficiency can maintain everything I love about the series.

Falk

that puzzling face
The way you put that makes it sound like a bad thing. I haven't played Shallie yet, but I'm still skeptical that an Atelier without an element of time efficiency can maintain everything I love about the series.

I'm 100% fine with the time limits. Never bothered me in any Atelier game, didn't bother me in Lightning Returns, etc.

In many significant ways, if the writing takes advantage of it, it serves as a very functional narrative backbone or plot/pacing device.

You're right, without the time limit, Shallie feels weird and unfocused. It also takes out the feeling that time is passing and it's like "I guess this whole game could have happened in a single week or something" so it takes out a certain feeling of growth you feel when you play an Atelier title.

Can a mod simply come in here and say "stop taking about Ni No Kuni".

That would solve everything in a second. You guys are like children.

Zhao_Yun

Kinda interested in this one. I always liked the artstyle in Gust's Atelier games but I just couldn't get into them in terms of gameplay. Hoping that this better suits my tastes.

Does this game's title mean Nightless Country? (or country without a night)

Yes.

My japanese isn't perfect so someone could give you a more accurate translation but going by the kanji used
Ni no Kuni - literally 'Second Country'
Yoru no Nai Kuni - 'Land with no Night' or 'A land without Night'

Is it the context that changes what "Kuni" means, or is there no real distinction between "land" and "country" for the title? If the translated name was used, then I wouldn't have ever thought it was connected to Ni no Kuni.

Can a mod simply come in here and say "stop taking about Ni No Kuni".

That would solve everything in a second. You guys are like children.

Yeesh. You're letting posts about another game bother you and you've the cheek to call others children.

Having played it, I wish it was structured like the games that had a time limit.

Though a countdown timer in a dungeon would be quite different from how time limits worked in Atelier games.

Top Bottom