• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoru no Nai Kuni first screenshots, limited editions announced

Falk

that puzzling face
You're right, without the time limit, Shallie feels weird and unfocused. It also takes out the feeling that time is passing and it's like "I guess this whole game could have happened in a single week or something" so it takes out a certain feeling of growth you feel when you play an Atelier title.

If anything, the passage of the standard-ish 3 years cemented many Ateliers' narratives as stories about coming-of-age.

(Moreso in Arland than Dusk, though - Escha and Logy were pretty much the same at the start and end of the game)

Borefest? You really have a lousy taste in games if you think Ni no Kuni was a borefest.

I really tried to like it but after 20 hours I just dropped, also a lot of people agree with me.

Anyways, I was just pissy at people ruining the thread with their silly "baw baw this isn't a ni no kuni sequel" more than anything, but I'll try to take it as a positive thing and that more people will know about the game thanks to that.

no Nai Kuni
Ni No Kuni

Yeah the similarity is more than just one word, but it still silly.

Well... yeah, when you're not Japanese. I clicked on this assuming it was a sequel with an altered title or something.

Two similar words dude. Two.

1) The title is in English lol
2) Oh no, two words that start with the same letter, how will people ever tell the difference (hint: you read the rest of the word).

Come on now. Just look at the first word in the title....still not sure, then read the OP.

Christhor

You're right, without the time limit, Shallie feels weird and unfocused. It also takes out the feeling that time is passing and it's like "I guess this whole game could have happened in a single week or something" so it takes out a certain feeling of growth you feel when you play an Atelier title.

The game did feel pretty weird with the whole life task system. Making you spend time doing specific things to progress the plot. The pacing in general also felt pretty weird, in the other Atelier games it definitely feels focused, but in this game they make you go across the ocean constantly.

Can a mod simply come in here and say "stop taking about Ni No Kuni".

That would solve everything in a second. You guys are like children.

Ni no Kuni fans are like children? No kidding, bro.

bomblord1

Banned
1) The title is in English lol
2) Oh no, two words that start with the same letter, how will people ever tell the difference (hint: you read the rest of the word).

Come on now. Just look at the first word in the title....still not sure, then read the OP.

It's not uncommon for sequels/successors of games to change the first word. Ex. Super Mario

If you don't know the meaning of a word (seeing as it's in a language many here don't speak) then seeing the words no Kuni it's a logical to assume that it's related to Ni No Kuni.

Ex. if there was a game called Permainan Dari langit and then another called Tidak Dari langit it would be you would assume they are related

I really tried to like it but after 20 hours I just dropped, also a lot of people agree with me.

Anyways, I was just pissy at people ruining the thread with their silly "baw baw this isn't a ni no kuni sequel" more than anything, but I'll try to take it as a positive thing and that more people will know about the game thanks to that.

Is Yoru no Nai Kuni a sequel to an existing game? In what ways is it similar to Ni no Kuni?

Ni no Kuni fans are like children? No kidding, bro.

I thought you didn't want anything to do with the Ni no Kuni discussion

It's not uncommon for sequels/successors of games to change the first word. Ex. Super Mario

If you don't know the meaning of a word (seeing as it's in a language many here don't speak) then seeing the words no Kuni it's a logical to assume that it's related to Ni No Kuni.

Ex. if there was a game called Permainan Dari langit and then another called Tidak Dari langit it would be simple to assume they are related

So then read the OP....you know the post that tells you what the thread is about

Falk

that puzzling face
Borefest? You really have a lousy taste in games if you think Ni no Kuni was a borefest.

I have like a billion JRPG platinums including multiple Disgaea games, but I couldn't platinum Ni No Kuni

I'm sorry L5, I just couldn't :'(

Sadly, I have to agree with Mauricio. Ni No Kuni was a gorgeous game, and one I loved for a few hours, but it got boring way too quickly and I dropped it soon after.

I realized this just around the time I was being poo'd out a giant's butt.

Also

DAN DAN DAN DAN DAAAA
DAN DAN DAN DAN DAAAA
DAN DAN DAN DAN DAAAA

bomblord1

Banned
So then read the OP....you know the post that tells you what the thread is about

I did. I didn't even think it was related honestly but that's beside the point. People aren't coming in saying "This thread is about Ni No Kuni" they're saying "Dang I thought this was related to Ni No Kuni". Seems silly that people are calling them stupid over it.

Durante

Sadly, I have to agree with Mauricio. Ni No Kuni was a gorgeous game, and one I loved for a few hours, but it got boring way too quickly and I dropped it soon after.

Well okay, and that jumps to being the same franchise how, exactly?

There's a bunch of games with "Densetsu no" in the name, if you saw them together would you think they are all Zelda games?
no i'd think for a second its a secret of mana game

but then ill come back to reality

Christhor

What does it play like :x

Just any of Gust's other games?

Almost all of Gust's games have significantly different battle systems, even within the same series. The battle system in Atelier Ayesha is nothing like the one in Atelier Shallie and the battle system in Ar Tonelico is absolutely nothing like the one in Ar Tonelico Qoga.

The art looks great in the screenshots they've released.

Since the models are being done by FlightUnit I hope they release some high resolution renders like they did with Shallie. They are really good with making that 2D > 3D transition.

I did. I didn't even think it was related honestly but that's beside the point. People aren't coming in saying "This thread is about Ni No Kuni" they're saying "Dang I thought this was related to Ni No Kuni". Seems silly that people are calling them stupid over it.

So I guess those people did not read the OP in which case they should be called out.

Shizuka

I'm not sure how you got that since it doesn't look like it'll play like 1 or 3 out of the Drakengard games I've gone through.

The screens seem very limited in size during battle mode, it could go anything from Drakengard to Kingdom Hearts or even the Neptunia Rebirth games.

really? I would expect a vitalord to agree with me that it looks like Toukiden

The field doesn't look as open as the ones from Toukiden, but it could be just the scans that I've seen.

no, this is pretty much new for Gust.

Almost all of Gust's games have significantly different battle systems, even within the same series. The battle system in Atelier Ayesha is nothing like the one in Atelier Shallie and the battle system in Ar Tonelico is absolutely nothing like the one in Ar Tonelico Qoga.

Okay, thanks! I've only played some of Atelier Ayesha and didn't know what to expect from this.

Might it actually be similar to Ni no Kuni as far as battle structure?

Is it the context that changes what "Kuni" means, or is there no real distinction between "land" and "country" for the title? If the translated name was used, then I wouldn't have ever thought it was connected to Ni no Kuni.

Yeesh. You're letting posts about another game bother you and you've the cheek to call others children.
It's bothering me because I want to know what this game is about and after 3 pages I know it's not Ni No Kuni.

Ravage

The way you put that makes it sound like a bad thing. I haven't played Shallie yet, but I'm still skeptical that an Atelier without an element of time efficiency can maintain everything I love about the series.

Durante gets it. The time element adds meaning to everything you do i.e. all your choices comes with a cost. Instead of removing the timer, Gust should just include an infinite time casual mode for those who loves grinding or just wanna explore at their own pace.

looks great

im so hungry for jrpg on my PS4; it literally got none (ff type0 doesnt count and omega quintet shouldnt exist)

hurry up my and take my money

Yoru-no-Nai-Kuni_2015_05-14-15_001.jpg_600.jpg

Screen shots look great, I like the art style. On a phone I can't tell but is she missing a leg here?

Durante gets it. The time element adds meaning to everything you do i.e. all your choices comes with a cost. Instead of removing the timer, Gust should just include an infinite time casual mode for those who loves grinding or just wanna explore at their own pace.

When I played Ayesha (didn't finish) I was following a step by step guide because I didn't want to miss any scenes due to the time limits and how certain things happen in certain places at certain times that you may not know about.

At least for me that kind of structure is paralyzing in a sense because I don't want to miss anything and I don't really know if my time is being used effectively or if I'm actually not going to have enough time to see everything and get the best ending.

That said I don't know if removing the time limit completely is the answer.

Screen shots look great, I like the art style. On a phone I can't tell but is she missing a leg here?

Her robe thing is covering her leg in that screenshot.

Proably all can agree Ni No Kuni is visually stunning, but battle system after 10-20hours its not fun. I felt like doing a chore not actually playing. And im quite deep jrpg fan who enjoys even 3rd grade jrpgs
I downloaded Ni No again few months ago, was having blast and again stopped after 15hours i stopped.

it would be better if: our party AI had more options, magic was more usefull (instead just pump up atk/def familiar and spam normal attack as most effective way...) and so on

Its like opossite to Grandia III - it has superrior battle system, but story was not there.

Ravage

When I played Ayesha (didn't finish) I was following a step by step guide because I didn't want to miss any scenes due to the time limits and how certain things happen in certain places at certain times that you may not know about.

At least for me that kind of structure is paralyzing in a sense because I don't want to miss anything and I don't really know if my time is being used effectively or if I'm actually not going to have enough time to see everything and get the best ending.

That said I don't know if removing the time limit completely is the answer.

I hate the ending conditions too, especially the unintuitive ones. Fortunately, the completionist side of me only kicks in on NewGame+.

Why shouldn't Omega Quintet exist? I heard it's pretty good.

Maybe was a bit harsh - but it was let down - it is average at best. maybe they just rushed it to have their first jrpg on ps4

played jpn demo then picked up again EU; wouldnt pick it up if there are more jrpg for ps4; its 5.5/10 for me (and im not picky with jrpg genre)

sold it already

Top Bottom