• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshio Sakamoto and the future of Metroid

This might be hard for some to swallow but you do realize that the original iteration of unmasked Samus in Prime is the closest, most accurate depiction of the original Samus that was based off of the Super Metroid player guide, right? She's supposed to be a well built, athletic person.

I can't really complain about the modern look of Samus because I much prefer that kind of art design but the original Prime kept it pretty close to what Samus was originally supposed to look like.

And even so, Prime 3 changed it up to the Zero Suit everyone prefers so clearly Retro already did something there.

Original Samus has brown hair. And doesnt look like a character out of injustice. (Mostly due to the nose always being off)

This is the best Samus

Ob4.PNG

See they got the nose right here. When the nose is off the anatomy of the face is rekt, Marth Amiibo's know this all too well.

Metroidzero09.png

metroid4.jpg

It's a 3D action game. Generally, 3D action games use analog control for extra precision and freedom of movement.

This is a common misconception about analogue controls. Analogue is less precise because it has endless possible inputs. It is more VERSATILE. Digital controls are about precision... Up is up, down is down, and so fourth, but they lack the versatility needed to navigate a 3D space.

jimi_dini

Keep in mind this is the man who made the majority of metroid titles before other M before you say something reckless like "I dont want this man near this IP at all"

George Lucas also "made" Star Wars and I definitely do not want this man near the IP at all anymore. Same is true for Sakamoto.

Other M is the correct template for the Metroid franchise going forward.
They just have to remove :
[everything]

I agree. Remove everything including Sakamoto, then Other M will be a great template.

Yes. The comparison with Lucas is one I've made myself. When a franchise is at that top tier of acclamation, and its creator comes back and drops a turd of an entry on it, it begs the question of who was responsible for the quality of the earlier entries.

Maybe it was also technical restrictions, so that a crazy man wasn't able to create what he actually wanted to create.

Or maybe Lucas + Sakamoto fell down the stairs, idk.

I know people say that Sakamoto was the director for all non-Prime games but has there been any indication that he would dump the super linear, bad plot-focus in a new game? Has he spoken about Other M's problem's specifically since release? I doesn't make a difference if he was the director of Super Metroid if this is the direction he wants to take the franchise now.

There was an interview around the time of release where Sakamoto claimed that the minimalist presentation of Super Metroid was very intentional for the game, not necessarily because they were limited by technology, and that, if it the game was being made today he would still make it the same way.

http://www.gamestm.co.uk/features/y...e-unwritten-future-of-the-warioware-series/2/

As a matter of fact I think I made some basic comment about that in one of the official guide books to Super Metroid all those years ago. Specifically what I said was, the way we made Super Metroid was to try not to use dialogue or text at all and that everything should be conveyed through gameplay. We intentionally avoided direct narrative. Rather than have Samus talk about herself we preferred the player to feel things through the game. This even extended to navigation as, rather than tell people where to go using text messages, we would design the stages so that people could sense where to go next.

So, between Metroid: Other M and Super Metroid we had clearly defined concepts and even if we’d had similar technologies back then we would not have made Super Metroid the way we made Other M.

Mael

Yatōkiri_Kilgharrah;141635068 said:
Original Samus has brown hair. And doesnt look like a character out of injustice. (Mostly due to the nose always being off)

This is the best Samus

See they got the nose right here. When the nose is off the anatomy of the face is rekt, Marth Amiibo's know this all too well.

[IMG ]http://www.cubed3.com/media/2011/August/jesusraz/metroid4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG ]http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090429170831/metroid/images/d/d8/Metroidzero09.png[/IMG]

These are the least interesting design of Samus ever.
Pretty blond anime girl and that's it.
I guess that's why Sakamoto felt it was important to put a beauty mark or something.
There's a reason it's a franchise revolving around Samus running around in a suit.

These are the least interesting design of Samus ever.
Pretty blond anime girl and that's it.
I guess that's why Sakamoto felt it was important to put a beauty mark or something.
There's a reason it's a franchise revolving around Samus running around in a suit.

Well she has brown hair. Lots of brown haired girls like being blonde once in a while. Its not something I find attractive. Jet black hair is a lot silkier.

Sammie.PNG

But we dont have any good modern day representations of Justin Bailey. Green hair is fun.

My point being the best Samus designs are the one's that nail her expression and have decent anatomy design. Like that one. Fusion still looks awesome to this day.

Eyebrow design is important when it comes to making an interesting expression!!

Why? We've already had that. Take it somewhere else.
This premise of exploration is expandable you can do s lot with it, the only Metroid gsmes that really done that right was Metroid, Super Metroid, Metroid Prime 1. The potential with WiiU is huge in the sense of exploration, Samus is a bounty hunter so she is not tied to a certain story premise. The Universe is the limit for Samus.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Even with the messy controls, the structure of the game was still poor. Extremely linear and with very limited scope to explore. As a game director Sakamoto completely failed, the characterisation of Samus is all wrong, the game is clunky and basic and is exactly what I would expect from Sakamoto on a modern console. The signs were all there with Fusion, except the GBA tech reigned in his more George Lucas-ish tendencies.

He should stick to WarioWare, Tomodachi and Rhythm Heaven, I don't think he understands why people despite Other M (which was still an average game, just a terrible Metroid).

Sakamoto intelligently explained the basis of Fusion. He wanted to introduce some new concepts to Samus with the entire SA-X dynamic. Additionally, he wanted to make this particular Metroid a more difficult action game with more bosses and mini-bosses than usual. As balance, we also got a more traditional Metroid with Zero Mission. How could you fault the idea of having two flavors?

With Other M. The safest thing for Sakamoto to implement, was for Team Ninja to mirror the Fusion game structure in making a linear 3D near replica. Sakamoto was taking the subway to Team Ninja once a week to check in. Hosokawa (2D Metroid lead designer) and Morisawa (2D Metroid art lead) were on the project communicating through email..

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Here's my take on Other M, and where Metroid as a franchise could (and probably should) go in the future.

Other M:

Pros
- Third person perspective - This was such a breathe of fresh air after the MP games imo. It was (and still is) so nice to be able to see Samus and move her around again. I thought the animation and speed of her movement was perfectly executed. There are certain moves that she does like the speed boost and screw attack that don't translate into first person. I also think the way they implemented her shooting was done well given the third person perspective. I agree that it's a sacrifice compared to first person or an over the shoulder view, but it was necessary do to what you gained out of movement and gameplay potential.

Cons
- Story - I'm not even going to discuss this because everyone knows what was wrong with Other M here.
- Controls - This is an area where Sakamoto is the sole blame. Team Ninja tried to convince him of adding in the nun-chuck and Sakamoto nearly cancelled the entire game. He wanted Wii remote only and came up with the cockamamie control scheme. That being said, I think Team Ninja did a pretty damn good job with what they had. In fact, playing the game on Dolphin with an Xbox 360 pad fixes nearly all of the control issues.
- Level/Atmosphere - The game takes place in nearly the exact same environment of Metroid Fusion. The exploration was also limited and was more linear. I think it's important to note here another difference between Sakamoto's latest Metroid games and Retro's. Fusion, Zero Mission and Other M all told you where to go next. The Prime games allowed you to turn this off and even with it on, it wasn't as direct as Sakamoto's games. It felt like Retro's way was more of a "Help because I'm lost" hint where Sakamoto's completely erased any sense of discovery.

Going Forward:

I'm not entirely sure Sakamoto should helm another Metroid game, but I hope Other M isn't the last we'll see of a third person 3D Metroid game. By the time MP3 came out, I was tired of the series. It really needed a break imo.

I think the best solution would be at a minimum to have a handheld 2D or 2.5D game and a 3D one on console. As I said, Other M has a good foundation to build off of, it's just that there are so many other problems with it that I think people are overlooking what was good about it. They could make a bad ass third person Metroid game to rival or beat Super Metroid if they wanted to.

My ideal game would be to completely reboot the series. Chronologically, the next game in the series would take place after Fusion. I think a good way to re-introduce Samus and the series would be to give her amnesia. This way, you could completely erase all of her past memories of enemies like Ridley and it also is a way of unlocking her abilities. As long as it's done right, they can return Samus to the silent protagonist we all thought she was while still making her vulnerable.

For gameplay, as I already said playing Other M on Dolphin w/a 360 pad fixed nearly all the problems. They could build off of what has already been started and just use what works. Get rid of the hand holding and lack of exploration. Get rid of the ideas that didn't work like the pixel hunting. Keep all gameplay in third person and use first person solely for scanning or looking around the environment for clues.

Lastly, give us a new environment/world to explore, new weapons/gameplay to use and a real soundtrack. Axiom Verge is a great of example of what I'm talking about. Basically, developers can introduce what ever they want and keep whatever they want from before and the great thing about it is they don't have to do it all in one game. They could continue to have Samus remember old abilities she has in multiple games while also giving her new items in the process. My point is that giving Samus amnesia would open the door to fix all of the problems in the past while also introducing new ones and the series as a whole to audiences. The only down side is that they could fail at doing this correctly and make the series a lot harder to continue going forward.

Sakamoto was the director of very small teams that made the earlier games. I'm pretty sure he had significant imput. Maybe the question you, and many others, should be asking yourselves, is how much BLAME should Sakamoto get for Other M, when at the time it was one of their biggest, most expensive projects ever, with three different companies working on the game together.

He was very loud about the story (specifically including the characterization of Samus) and control scheme being his ideas, and his alone. Those are the two worst things about the game, by far. He gets ALL the blame.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'll write you a super-lengthy response but first I have to hunt for the exact pixel I need to click to post it. Might take me a while.

Yatōkiri_Kilgharrah;141629920 said:
But thats my point. Other M doesnt contradict Prime at all. Yeah its presented quite poorly and ameteurish, but the story isnt contradictory at all. You do realize that Movies themselves can be interpreted in MANY different ways right?

Why do you keep saying this? Other M can't even get Samus' height out-of-suit height correct, for fuck's sake, turning her from a large 6 foot 1 woman, into a petite generic Japanese anime girl (no offense to those, I'm quite partial to that petite look).

And of course, there's the infamous "Ridley scares me for no reason" scene. But of course, no one will ever convince the apologists that godawful scene contradicts anything.

-Horizon-

I'm actually fine with Other M's Samus design...I just didn't like the story. Or the control decisions. Or Ridley's mutated buff design. Or the other characters.

But Anthony is fine.

sd28821

Sound fine to me as the game had a lot of potential and can easily be improved upon either that or a fusion sequel the only thin i don't want is another prime game I honestly hate them.

He was very loud about the story (specifically including the characterization of Samus) and control scheme being his ideas, and his alone. Those are the two worst things about the game, by far. He gets ALL the blame.

Samus's dialogue works better in Japanese than it does in english.

Particularly when it came to the "monotone" stuff

Yatōkiri_Kilgharrah;141646381 said:
Samus's dialogue works better in Japanese than it does in english.

Particularly when it came to the "monotone" stuff

When did I mention dialogue? I didn't have a problem with that. And everyone else has already addressed the localization above, anyway.

Yoshio Sakamoto has directed and written wonderful games.

Metroid, however, has transformed from being just a game; it's an experience. The story, the atmosphere, the moody/dark tone. It stands apart from other bubbly or "gamey" Nintendo franchises, as it should. To me, Metroid should be a haunting experience, punctuated with an intuitive gameplay design.

Yoshio Sakamoto has directed and written wonderful games.

Metroid, however, has transformed from being just a game; it's an experience. The story, the atmosphere, the moody/dark tone. It stands apart from other bubbly or "gamey" Nintendo franchises, as it should. To me, Metroid should be a haunting experience, punctuated with an intuitive gameplay design.

So you're saying we should have Yoshiaki Koizumi making metroid now yeah?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I want a new 2D Metroid with the feel of Zero Mission and the graphical fidelity of Rayman Legends on Wii U.

Other M was trash.

LiamR

I agree. Other M was pretty fun. I think most people were just so burned by everything else around the core gameplay that they disregard that a lot of it is really solid. Certain mechanics like the first person stuff aren't too hot though.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I agree. Other M was pretty fun. I think most people were just so burned by everything else around the core gameplay that they disregard that a lot of it is really solid. Certain mechanics like the first person stuff aren't too hot though.
Nah, the core was bad, too. I hated the 2.5 shooting. I don't want some weird kinda-sorta top-down perspective and I don't want to shoot things in the foreground / background when in a side scrolling perspective. I had the same issues with Shadow Complex. I prefer the clean simplicity of the older 2D Metroid games.

Rambler

I want Metroid to be a fast paced action game but Sakamoto clearly isn't the right person for the job.

Other M was so bad that it ruined Ninja Gaiden by proxy.

Mak

Yatōkiri_Kilgharrah;141625867 said:
And get better model designers, she looks like an ugly blonde American in all the Prime Games. Other M samus isnt that great either.

This might be hard for some to swallow but you do realize that the original iteration of unmasked Samus in Prime is the closest, most accurate depiction of the original Samus that was based off of the Super Metroid player guide, right? She's supposed to be a well built, athletic person.

I can't really complain about the modern look of Samus because I much prefer that kind of art design but the original Prime kept it pretty close to what Samus was originally supposed to look like.

And even so, Prime 3 changed it up to the Zero Suit everyone prefers so clearly Retro already did something there.

Yatōkiri_Kilgharrah;141635068 said:

This is the best Samus

Ob4.PNG

The artwork in the Super Metroid Nintendo Player's Guide is the interpretation of the artist Benimaru Itoh who was commisioned to do a comic in Nintendo Power and illustrate the Japanese guide book. http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Metroid_(Nintendo_Power_comic)

The artwork from the 2 pages of the Nintendo Power guide (which is awesome) was copied from the comic that ran in the magazine, and Nintendo Power's editorial staff based Samus off of Princess Leia + Ripley. http://www.metroid-database.com/sm/art/NP58comiccomment.jpg

In the actual Super Metroid video game, the development team based Samus off of Ripley (but a little more extravagant) + actress Kim Basinger.
tumblr_ney323ELKE1spegs7o1_500.jpg

http://www.metroid-database.com/sm/interview.php
I guess I'm talking about the image of Samus from films?

Sakamoto: Of course she's a bit like Ripley from Aliens (Sigourney Weaver), but a little more extravagant.

Which person is the image closest to; was there someone specific?

Sakamoto: Personally, I like Kim Bassinger from 9 1/2 Weeks and My Stepmother is an Alien.

Osawa: Yeah, I see that. When Samus gets hit, her voice sounds like her.

Outside those illustrations of the Nintendo Power guide, Samus was never actually 6'3, 198lbs as a human as the guide states. The editors erroneously took the attributes after converting from metric from the Metroid II: Return of Samus manual referring to a diagram of Samus' powersuit, where in the context of the game's story, Samus Aran's true form was still a mystery. (The powersuit makes her 6'2~6'3 and 198lbs)

Why do you keep saying this? Other M can't even get Samus' height out-of-suit height correct, for fuck's sake, turning her from a large 6 foot 1 woman, into a petite generic Japanese anime girl (no offense to those, I'm quite partial to that petite look).

And of course, there's the infamous "Ridley scares me for no reason" scene. But of course, no one will ever convince the apologists that godawful scene contradicts anything.

Samus is 6'3. Everyone else is enormous. Its another thing they aped from movies. Camera perspective.

People bring that up but they dont really think about it do they? Or the scene where Adam shoots Samus. Or the fact that they have a really messed up relationship that somehow only makes sense in Sakamoto's head which he never quite communicated properly.

( That popular post that people like to link is still not in depth enough) First of all, Ridley's killed Samus's parent, and has caused her to freeze up once before (Fusion)

She finally kills the bastard and he's alive again? Of course she's gonna be pissed. Other M is a game about reconciling with your past told in a really disjointed idea. The story is not married to the gameplay at all. In fact I'd go as so far to say it directly interferes with it.

People have to realize that the plot of alot of Metroid game are just really bad Alien movies.
Which going back to it, Other M is trying to hard to be an expanded version of Super Metroid in terms of plot, learning nothing from that' game's structure.

Mael

Yatōkiri_Kilgharrah;141666286 said:
Samus is 6'3. Everyone else is enormous. Its another thing they aped from movies. Camera perspective.

You mean in the cinematics?

People bring that up but they dont really think about it do they? Or the scene where Adam shoots Samus. Or the fact that they have a really messed up relationship that somehow only makes sense in Sakamoto's head which he never quite communicated properly.

That popular that dissected Other M's plot is spot on about something.
The relationship between Samus and Adam is absolutely toxic, there's a good story to be done based on this premise.
Heck even with the same events you can actually show this in an interesting way.
What could have been a powerful, subtle story about an abusive relationship is really just an awful fanfiction with the worst Marty Stu I've ever seen.

( That popular post that people like to link is still not in depth enough) First of all, Ridley's killed Samus's parent, and has caused her to freeze up once before (Fusion)
Wut?

She finally kills the bastard and he's alive again? Of course she's gonna be pissed. Other M is a game about reconciling with your past told in a really disjointed idea. The story is not married to the gameplay at all. In fact I'd go as so far to say it directly interferes with it.

People have to realize that the plot of alot of Metroid game are just really bad Alien movies.
Which going back to it, Other M is trying to hard to be an expanded version of Super Metroid in terms of plot, learning nothing from that' game's structure.

Metroid Other M is a game about control, that is the control others have over Samus Aran, everything is a slave to this. Even the gameplay.
I think everyone recognize that Metroid is pretty much Alien in game form.
some people just prefer Alien IV to the rest of the films...
We (the public) really like the imagery and world Giger created, it's powerful and really great.
that's why Alien is so interesting after all, the thing with Metroid is that you basically get to explore as the protaganist in a game something really close.
that's also why all this "let's trudge in spacestations that are really just the planets you explored before" so insulting.

Uh, hold on. I certainly don't remember this happening. Yo meet ridley twice in fusion, onc ewhen he's frozen, you still have complete control over samus here, you can't leave until has body collapses.

The next time you find a staute of him again. The X clone then comes alive nigh immediately and the boss fight begins.

I don't remember samus ever "freezing up" in fusion.

Uh, hold on. I certainly don't remember this happening. Yo meet ridley twice in fusion, onc ewhen he's frozen, you still have complete control over samus here, you can't leave until has body collapses.

The next time you find a staute of him again. The X clone then comes alive nigh immediately and the boss fight begins.

I don't remember samus ever "freezing up" in fusion.

It was for a couple seconds, then she moves to act.

ubiblu

I really liked Other M and can never understand the hate. Sure, the characterisation was rubbish, but it's a nintendo game for gods sake, not Citizen Kane. I loved the 2.5D gameplay and hope they make another.

Mael

Yatōkiri_Kilgharrah;141669271 said:
It was for a couple seconds, then she moves to act.

You're telling me that the screen freezing to emphasise the transformation of an enemy is PTSD?
HOLY CRAP! That means that Samus in Metroid II is getting PTSD on every single Metroid fight!
Heck in Super Metroid? Every time you see a boss changing form? Samus is crapping the powersuit and is crying.
Metroid Fusion? Every single time a X parasite possess something she have a flashback of the whole operation that mutilated her (or only her suit depending on if you look at the screen or the text)...

I really liked Other M and can never understand the hate. Sure, the characterisation was rubbish, but it's a nintendo game for gods sake, not Citizen Kane. I loved the 2.5D gameplay and hope they make another.

That's probably the 1rst time I ever see someone use "it's a Nintendo game" to say "sure it's a little shit".

I'm not opposed to a third-person 3d metroid game with an incredibly mobile samus. That could be ridiculously awesome. I simply feel that other m failed at it on more or less every level except for the feel of basic movement.

The isometric camera restricted level design. Nonlinearity is one of the best things about metroid. The way other m laid out the paths certainly made things more linear than they could have been, but having one side of every room/ one direction of movement permanently less useful in a full 3d environment still hurts things.
On top of that, the "outside the level" perspective of the camera cut the ability of level design to move vertically because a clear line of sight into the level needs to be maintained. things had to degenerate into a pseudo-2d state for lots of the vertical movement ( though I haven't beaten the game. Perhaps they got better with vertical platforming later on). So the camera design left the into-the-camera direction feeling yucky because it felt like running blind, and can't properly use the vertical directions to maintain line of sight. if they were really attached to this camera perspective, then maybe they could structure a world like multiple classic metroid maps arranged in layers with several depth-bridging open areas/hallways/large rooms between them. The camera they designed seems best suited for pseudo-2.5d with occasional forward-running sections or arenas.

The automated dodging was too overpowered and made things less interesting because of it. The same for auto-aim for basic attacks. The missile aiming was abhorrent because a game that should have theoretically had the most mobile incarnation of samus ever instead forced you to cripple yourself to aim one of her classic weapons.

I really want to finish this game out of some sense of obligation to the franchise but it just feels like a random crappy action game with a metroid skin. It doesn't seem to offer any of the gameplay elements that I like about the series, or if it does, it hid them deep in the game for no benefit at all.

If the next metroid is other m part 2 then the horrible sales really will kill the series for good. I can't believe my local best buy still has 19 unopened new copies of other m on the shelf.....

Merc_

I don't think it matters what we want out of the next Metroid because I don't think we'll be seeing another game in the series for quite some time.

Other M did some serious damage regardless of how you feel about it.

Toxi

Banned
I don't even think Other M nailed movement. The D-pad control is dreadful and the way you lose all momentum when you fire a charge shot is weird.
You're telling me that the screen freezing to emphasise the transformation of an enemy is PTSD?
HOLY CRAP! That means that Samus in Metroid II is getting PTSD on every single Metroid fight!
Heck in Super Metroid? Every time you see a boss changing form? Samus is crapping the powersuit and is crying.
Metroid Fusion? Every single time a X parasite possess something she have a flashback of the whole operation that mutilated her (or only her suit depending on if you look at the screen or the text)...
God, the Prime trilogy must be full of Samus cowering in fear. Almost every boss has her doing nothing in the opening cutscene.

That's probably the 1rst time I ever see someone use "it's a Nintendo game" to say "sure it's a little shit".

.... No Im not talking about the screen freezing....

You mean in the cinematics?

That popular that dissected Other M's plot is spot on about something.
The relationship between Samus and Adam is absolutely toxic, there's a good story to be done based on this premise.
Heck even with the same events you can actually show this in an interesting way.
What could have been a powerful, subtle story about an abusive relationship is really just an awful fanfiction with the worst Marty Stu I've ever seen.

Wut?

Metroid Other M is a game about control, that is the control others have over Samus Aran, everything is a slave to this. Even the gameplay.
I think everyone recognize that Metroid is pretty much Alien in game form.
some people just prefer Alien IV to the rest of the films...
We (the public) really like the imagery and world Giger created, it's powerful and really great.
that's why Alien is so interesting after all, the thing with Metroid is that you basically get to explore as the protaganist in a game something really close.
that's also why all this "let's trudge in spacestations that are really just the planets you explored before" so insulting.

Exactly. That's why samus left, the entire game is reflective as well. Even if she acknowledges him as her military authority. Samus has always been in the position where she was trying to prover herself and lonely. The psuedo-boyfriends tragic end was hamfisted either way, was not written properly.

The problem with that article is its predicated on the fact that Samus doesnt use her suit in the lava area without waiting for authorization and not understanding the scene where Adam shoots Samus. Both of which has been thoroughly explained in later posts just waiting to be read. The climax of his article is basically dedicated to him criticizing the game for not painting their relationship in the light it should be at during the end credits. Which it kind of already does depending on your interpretation of Fusion. ( Samus is on the run and basically stuck with Adam. The point of Other M was for her to try and move aways from that state she was in , reminding her exactly what it was shel eft behind. And dealing with her own losses as well.)

At this point she has a choice. Prison or being unshackled. She chose to be unshackled.
Adam isnt a sensible guy anyhow. Better off as AI. Which might play an interesting theme if control is the subject of the next Metroid game. Samus being hunted is what I want to see. Badly

If Yoshio Sakamoto wanted to channel Kojima he should have written the story around the game better. I suggest we have him play Metal Gear Rising and talk to his wife again before he touches metroid again

Peltz

I don't understand when people say they don't want Sakamoto on Metroid.

Pretty much everything he's made other than Other M was fantastic. Gamers are very WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY sometimes. It's confusing.

This. Sakamoto is a legend.

I didnt even read the whole thread, but knowing how this Other M thread go every time, I just want to add, poor Sakamoto, one "failure" and people want to throw him to the sharks, after all the greatness he has created, and not only with Metroid.

Thats the only thing I will say, I really feel for him and hope he can have another go at it.

nkarafo

Yeah! It looks really special. I'm a bit scared by the lack of color (on 3DS) and map, though. Been hoping for some sort of remake one day, but I guess it'll never happen. Hopefully it won't be too confusing to navigate.
Its less confusing than the original NES Metroid if that's good enough.

xaszatm

Banned
I don't think it matters what we want out of the next Metroid because I don't think we'll be seeing another game in the series for quite some time.

Why do people have this opinion? I admittedly didn't start paying close attention to Metroid news but why would Other M destroy any chance the series has? Has people said that Metroid is dead? Has there been official statements? Metroid was dead for the entire N64 period then came back in abundance. Why is there always so much hyperbole with Metroid. Either it's the best or the worst. Either one person must SOLEY work on the franchise or someone should be put to death if they ever touch it. Never any middle ground. Just extremes.

OT: Other M is an OK game with some good ideas with some bad executions. The head of Other M shouldn't be banned from making another Metroid game. What should happen is that there is a better communication and cooperation between the teams working on the project as compared to the dictatorship of Other M and so many people wanting different things.

xaszatm

Banned

I think that person's referring to the story, which usually isn't Nintendo's greatest feature. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of exceptions, but Nintendo is usually noted for gameplay, not story.

one_kill

I didnt even read the whole thread, but knowing how this Other M thread go every time, I just want to add, poor Sakamoto, one "failure" and people want to throw him to the sharks, after all the greatness he has created, and not only with Metroid.

Thats the only thing I will say, I really feel for him and hope he can have another go at it.
Yeah it's sad how much Sakamoto is being chastised for Other M, not taking into consideration the good he's bought to the franchise.

nkarafo

Last time i checked, Sakamoto was proud for Other M (which, don't forget, he made for the casual, non-players in mind. His words not mine).

That's why he has to go. Not because he made OtherM. But because he likes how it ended up and the next one he makes will probably be similar or worse.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

Miyamoto has already confirmed that they are working on both 2D and 3D Metroid games.

Shion

Yatōkiri_Kilgharrah;141648325 said:
So you're saying we should have Yoshiaki Koizumi making metroid now yeah?

Hell NO, I want Koizumi in charge of Zelda ASAP.

Metroid should go to a western developer.

The original MP was the perfect Metroid game, it captured the essence of the series perfectly.

Mael

This. Sakamoto is a legend.
So is George Lucas...
Yatōkiri_Kilgharrah;141671209 said:
.... No Im not talking about the screen freezing....
Provide a link, a gif or anything because it's confusing.

Exactly. That's why samus left, the entire game is reflective as well. Even if she acknowledges him as her military authority. Samus has always been in the position where she was trying to prover herself and lonely. The psuedo-boyfriends tragic end was hamfisted either way, was not written properly.

If Other M took place before Super Metroid, I could see the argument.
By the end of Metroid III, she's a freaking legend.
she doesn't have to prove herself to anyone really.
She basically fought Cthulu monsters at least 3 times and won.
It's like making a sequel to Return of the Jedi and make a new character that we totally never saw before but Luke must prove to him that he's real Jedi!
You know the guy who fought Darth Vader and the Emperor!

The problem with that article is its predicated on the fact that Samus doesnt use her suit in the lava area without waiting for authorization and not understanding the scene where Adam shoots Samus. Both of which has been thoroughly explained in later posts just waiting to be read.

Where was Samus not using her suit in the lava area without authorization been explained anywhere?
The only explanation ever given was : gameplay, deal with it.

The climax of his article is basically dedicated to him criticizing the game for not painting their relationship in the light it should be at during the end credits. Which it kind of already does depending on your interpretation of Fusion. ( Samus is on the run and basically stuck with Adam. The point of Other M was for her to try and move aways from that state she was in , reminding her exactly what it was shel eft behind. And dealing with her own losses as well.)

At this point she has a choice. Prison or being unshackled. She chose to be unshackled.
Adam isnt a sensible guy anyhow. Better off as AI. Which might play an interesting theme if control is the subject of the next Metroid game. Samus being hunted is what I want to see. Badly

Prior to Other M, I would have been glad to see where a sequel to Fusion would lead.
Now I'm pretty sure that what they had in mind is severely less interesting than anything we imagined.
It would probably involve exploring another space station looking like SR388 or Zebes anyway.

If Yoshio Sakamoto wanted to channel Kojima he should have written the story around the game better. I suggest we have him play Metal Gear Rising and talk to his wife again before he touches metroid again

How about he gets an editor that tells him that some of his ideas are fucking stupid?
If Akira Toriyama had to deal with editors in the Jump, I'm sure it could do a whole lot of good to him.

I think that person's referring to the story, which usually isn't Nintendo's greatest feature. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of exceptions, but Nintendo is usually noted for gameplay, not story.

As far as games go, it's probably even less worthy of the label Nintendo than anything this side of crappy event rejected from Mario Party.

lewisgone

Last time i checked, Sakamoto was proud for Other M (which, don't forget, he made for the casual, non-players in mind. His words not mine).

That's why he has to go. Not because he made OtherM. But because he likes how it ended up and the next one he makes will probably be similar or worse.

I'm sure he's proud of Super Metroid too.

Top Bottom