• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's Island DS - 1up.com review (Warning: Parish review)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3155314

1up-65.gif

sammy

been playing a lot of it lately .... the game is so so so far above and beyond a 6.5 it's not even funny.

every bit the same as the first, just tons of new shit.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Looks like the gap was the only complaint, I still picked it up today. Though now I'm laughing at Emotions who defended the used of the second screen when it is pretty much the only thing that really hurts the game. I said they should have use the second screen so you could switch the babies instead of having those stork points and it looks like I was right.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
"Yoshi's Island was awesome. Other Yoshi games have sucked. A lot of the game is pretty good. Baby swapping is good. The split between the screens is bad."

The review doesn't really discuss the graphics, the music, the puzzles (if there are any), the difficulty level, or really just about anything. More than half the substance of the review was waxing philosophical about other games.

The only actual comment on the game was a paragraph dedicated to saying that the gap between the screens can be annoying. Ok.

... and?

Christian

His defense is going to be that a 6.5 is "Good Stuff," and according to their scale, it is... I just don't think the review is particularly well-written in defense of the score.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wow, I didn't necessarily find his UGnG review traumatizing, but this seems way off base so far.

So is Parish's whole schtick that he <3s old games but any game now that plays like one not worthy? This is a syndrome that haunts old cinephiles and it is fairly obnoxious.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
OPMG ARTOON SUZKXZ! AHAHAHHAAH NINTEOD SCUKZ DONT GIVE YOURE IPS TO ARTOON DUM NITENDO! AHSHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA

is the gap that annoying? :0

A ****ing 6.5? And the actual review is just horrendous. I know this guy has a reputation for being an awful reviewer and it seems to be completely justified.

Odrion

Banned
Hey guys! That means it's kinda better than average, as opposed to it being average or "even moreso than average." It even says "Good Stuff" on it!

Oh who am I kidding, ragzfasldghalh!!!

dynamitejim said:
A ****ing 6.5? And the actual review is just horrendous. I know this guy has a reputation for being an awful reviewer and it seems to be completely justified.

He had no such reputation, AFAIK, until he wrote one review (OK, technically it was three) that pissed people off.

MoxManiac

Billy Rygar said:
So is Parish's whole schtick that he <3s old games but any game now that plays like one not worthy? This is a syndrome that haunts old cinephiles and it is fairly obnoxious.

No, Parish's whole schtick is that he hates hard games, and based on what i've seen of his reviews and impressions, the threshold of hard for him based on his ability does not seem very high.

sammy

Brobzoid said:
is the gap that annoying? :0

it's really not an issue at all ------ if you're familiar with any concept of "aiming" ------

if you're going to go at the game 100% collecting every damn thing --- you're going to used the 'look up - look down' thang, and have no troubles exploring at all.

EBCubs03

Banned
Just beat it today, here's what I'd give it:

Graphics - 8.5
Gameplay - 9.5
Audio - 6.0
Lifespan - 8.0

Maybe an 8.5 overall.

Christian

Father_Brain said:
He had no such reputation, AFAIK, until he wrote one review (OK, technically it was three) that pissed people off.

I don't think anyone accuses him of being a bad writer. Quite the opposite in fact - Jeremy has always been regarded, at least in the circles I swing in, as being more than capable of WRITING a review. He just seems like he's getting more crotchety as he does this more for a living. He used to be the biggest DS defender, and now it's like, because he holds it in such high regard, he tears everything to shreds if it doesn't fit into this tiny box he creates for it in his mind. And it's not just with DS games anymore, but PSP ones, or console ones.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Only in this industry is a two-and-a-half star review the end of the world.

JamesE

I like how information about the baby feature was mentioned in passing, then he launched back into his big fanfiction letter to Yoshi. Meanwhile I'm sitting here asking WHAT DO THE ****ING BABIES DO, JEREMY? The dude just does not give a **** anymore.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
So too similar to a timeless classic from a decade ago? That's a 6.5 all right!

rod

Banned
skip said:
for guys who claim to not care about jeremy's reviews, you can't ****ing shut up about them.

no offence man, but the guy is making 1up scores AND reviews pretty much a joke. i dunno if thats the goal of 1up, to create controversy to get more hits, or whatever, but honestly, the guy is a joke reviewer. he basically bags the game out in every way then gives it a "good stuff"? come on. if were not meant to take 1up seriously anymore, well, its working.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
rod said:
no offence man, but the guy is making 1up scores AND reviews pretty much a joke. i dunno if thats the goal of 1up, to create controversy to get more hits, or whatever, but honestly, the guy is a joke reviewer. he basically bags the game out in every way then gives it a "good stuff"? come on. if were not meant to take 1up seriously anymore, well, its working.

I'd say 6.5 is a reasonable score based on his complaints. But reviews are subjective. Saying that this game is objectively a 7.75 or higher and Jeremy Parish is an idiot for saying different is just ridiculous.

SantaC

I have no problem with parish reviews and I have a feeling he will give Zelda the score it probably deserves (see: great)

I still love YIDS though.

Top Bottom