• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's Island DS - 1up.com review (Warning: Parish review)

SantaC

I never seen such big range of scores as this game. Seems like no one can agree how good it is.

6.5 from 1up, 8.0 from IGN and 9.1 from gamespot

skip said:
for guys who claim to not care about jeremy's reviews, you can't ****ing shut up about them.
Exactly, he's like the William Hung of video game reviewers. Who cares if he's a complete embarassment to your site, as long as people are talking about him!

Ravager61

Swordian said:
You say that he is entitled to his opinion, but then say 1up would be more credible if they silenced him. You must be one of those people GI was thinking of when they scored Paper Mario.

People that think Madden is the greatest game ever are entitled to their opinoin but that doesnt mean they should be reviewing games.

ninge

just wanted to say that i picked the game up yesterday and i love it. I have no idea who this guy is but ill be sure to pick up anything else he scores 6.5 in the future.

Slo

I don't care about this game or it's review even just a little bit, but this is the best thread I've read today!

castle007

Banned
WTF :lol

Parish sucks

poorly written review and the score is WAAAAYYY off. It is at least >8

there is a huge differnce between a 9.1 and 6.5

Maybe the rumors are ture, and the only reason Gamespot gave the game a 9.1 is because they are going to be harsh on Zelda TP

skip

ninge said:
just wanted to say that i picked the game up yesterday and i love it. I have no idea who this guy is but ill be sure to pick up anything else he scores 6.5 in the future.

cool, because 6.5 means a good game.

I have a question for the 1up dudes.

What do you think of the notion(many believe this) that reviewers judge games based on what they perceive the majority of gamers will think about them(the games) and not necessarily what they the reviewer thinks about them themselves??

Just going by this score from this guy on Yoshi's Island 2, it seems like at least he would scoff at this myth as he kind of went against the grain as far as how others see or would see this game but I wonder if this has any relevance in reviews at all. I would think it should be entirely what the reviewer thinks of the game but several people have said that it is common that the gaming public gets catered to when a game is scored.

Amir0x

Banned
Yoshi's Island DS is fantastic. The graphics and music may not be as charming as the original, but everything else sure as hell is. Brilliant gameplay, with a slick difficulty curve and the type of hardcore gamer gameplay that DS actually needs. I'd personally give it a 9.0 - I like it more than New! Super Mario Bros., which I'd give like an 8.0.

Unison

Amir0x said:
Yoshi's Island DS is fantastic. The graphics and music may not be as charming as the original, but everything else sure as hell is. Brilliant gameplay, with a slick difficulty curve and the type of hardcore gamer gameplay that DS actually needs. I'd personally give it a 9.0 - I like it more than New! Super Mario Bros., which I'd give like an 8.0.

Yeah... it sure as heck makes New Super Mario Bros. look less good. :lol

Amir0x said:

Is the level design up to the brilliant standards set by the original??

I would have given NSMB a 9. There are certainly things I can knock it for like being too easy and short but it still had that oldschool Mario magic for me despite these shortcomings.

SantaC

Amir0x said:

yeah YIDS is better than NSMB for sure.

Amir0x

Banned
TheGreatMightyPoo said:

I would have given NSMB a 9. There are certainly things I can knock it for like being too easy and short but it still had that oldschool Mario magic for me despite these shortcomings.

I don't know if it can be up to the standard of the orginal - it being one of the greatest games of all time - but it sure does a hell of a job trying. It truly IS a worthy successor, which is all I could ask for. I had soooo much doubt going in, I hold Yoshi Island to a ridiculous standard. That this lived up to it - and on DS, a system I'm always in conflict with - should tell you just how great it is. Do not miss this, no matter what any review tells you... much less one from Jeremy Parish.

Ravager61

Amir0x said:
I don't know if it can be up to the standard of the orginal - it being one of the greatest games of all time - but it sure does a hell of a job trying. It truly IS a worthy successor, which is all I could ask for. I had soooo much doubt going in, I hold Yoshi Island to a ridiculous standard. That this lived up to it - and on DS, a system I'm always in conflict with - should tell you just how great it is. Do not miss this, no matter what any review tells you... much less one from Jeremy Parish.

boughted

Unison

TheGreatMightyPoo said:

The easy / short complaints don't really apply here. The game's levels are very very long with many challenges.

New SMB was a lot of fun, no doubt, but I was always conflicted about its 3d graphics. Although I agree YIDS looks less good than YI SNES, I definitely prefer it to NSMB on that level.

Raw64life

Don't know if I'd say it's better than NSMB just yet (in the middle of world 3 right now) but it definitely is awesome. The gap problem is a minimal one at best, and while the music is rather dull it doesn't ruin the experience at all. Easily an 8.5 in my book; probably higher.

Tyrone Slothrop said:
why do none of 1ups pages work? can somebody copy and paste so key points or something?

I have no idea why but for some people (including me) 1up.com and gamevideos.com simply don't load at all for me whether I'm on IE or FireFox. The only way I can go to it is if I sign on to my parents AOL account, which is a pain in the ass. Again, I have no idea why this happens, but it seems to affect quite a few people on GAF.

Amir0x

Banned
Also, this gap "problem" is such a non-issue... sometimes things do get caught inbetween screens, but basically every single time you can jump to get it back into your field of view... and if you have any skill, you could adjust your aim or whatever accordingly.

Kevin

I've played through about 9 stages so far and this game is quite good. Sure it borrows a lot from the SNES version but it is still a solid package. From the little that I've played I would say it deserves probably around an 8.5.

Yoshi's Island is my favorite platformer of all time and maybe my favorite game period.

This new game may not top it but it seems like you can mention it in the same breath as the original without cringing and/or laughing and this speaks volumes to its quality.

I wonder if Nintendo worked closely with Artoon on it. Even if they supervised the project, credit must be given where it is deserved and Artoon seems to have really brought it home with this game.

A little ways back, it seemed like it might be average at best. Now it seems like one of the best games of the year.

Impressive.

at least they changed the name from YI"2" to "DS"

that would be like naming that ewok movie star wars episode VII.
(maybe not that extreme, but whatever)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
is this the first videogame with an ethnic slur for an acronym? and wouldn't it be awesome if this started a "nintendo is antisemitic" urban legend? somebody alert ******

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
drohne said:
is this the first videogame with an ethnic slur for an acronym? and wouldn't it be awesome if this started a "nintendo is antisemitic" urban legend? somebody alert ******

Next up: Kid Icarus and the Kharybdis Excursion

No surprise here, they did nothing but whine about pathetic little things on last week's 1up show. The review is the sort of crap I've come to expect from 1up reviews to be honest, completely uninformative and packed with filler paragraphs to make it look like they put some effort into it when really there's bearly more than a couple of hundred words that actually tell you anything useful. A review does not need to be long to be good, IGN prove that with their 3+ page reviews sometimes, but at least they're informative.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Amir0x said:

Okay, I think you just sold me on this game, which I'll try to go pick up later.

TOO MANY GAMES!

Zenith

Banned
comical_ali.jpg

skip said:
I see no notable criticism here

I know everybody has different preferences en different opinions, but when you give a game like Yoshi Island 2 a score of 6.5, people will see that as *teh official opinion of the 1up-crew*. I know the 1up guys explained in the latest podcast that the review is just and only the opinion of that one reviewer, nothing more or less, but by saying that it totally trashes the credibility of the rating system in my opinion. Just try to find a good compromise (let different people review it and take the average) to give games scores instead of relying on one person who (hypothetically) by default hates platformers and automatically rates such games lower. But because reviewing games is time consuming this isn't a possibility, which draws me to the conclusion: drop the rating alltogether and just keep it at the text of the review itself, which gives a lot more opportunities for nuances.

Or people should just stop caring to much about reviews, but we all now that's asking too much... :D

Top Bottom