• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's Woolly World: new batch of screenshots

Piers

Looks a bit flat and low res for me. Their other possible routes (reality, and Epic Yarn) looked much better imo

Kriken

Yoshi should not be capable of being so freaking adorable. That's Kirby's domain.

image.php

But yeah, this game continues to look so adorable

New screens look beautiful, love that world map.

I am beyond irritated that EU gets this as their summer game while NOA pushes it back as a vague Fall release here. What I wouldn't give for a region hack.

The game looks beautiful. My daughter and I are going to have a blast playing through this when it releases (fall in U.S.?).

Also, does anybody know when the Yarn Yoshi amiibos will be available for preorder in the U.S.?

Blues1990

As others have mentioned, the game (from a visual standpoint) looks phenomenal. It definitely looks like something that will be perfect to play with a friend on a sunny afternoon.

But I am worried that there is a chance of the game sucking, given how uneven the Yoshi series has been post Yoshi Story.

Son Of D

Is this really going to come out in Europe before both Japan and North America? Has that ever happened before?

Mario and Luigi: Dream Team (Bros) was released in EU a couple of days before Japan and a month before NA.

Thanks NoA for making us wait months for an already finished game that will be out in Europe in two months

We still don't have Kirby. A game that released in February in NA.

SerTapTap

We still don't have Kirby. A game that released in February in NA.

I guess this is to fill time slots? I don't understand this practice but I guess Nintendo doesn't have a ton of Wii U games so it couldn't hurt to sprinkle them evenly.

Looking forward to this one. Loved Yoshi's story.

You played Yoshi's Island too, right? Because if not, get on that shit. I liked Yoshi's Story too but admit it was a bit of a disappointment coming from the original.
I also judge it harshly for introducing the "toddler noise" crap for Yoshi

You played Yoshi's Island too, right? Because if not, get on that shit. I liked Yoshi's Story too but admit it was a bit of a disappointment coming from the original.
I also judge it harshly for introducing the "toddler noise" crap for Yoshi
While Yoshi's Story is not close to Yoshi's Island, at least it tried to do its own thing and be a unique experience.
Yoshi's New Island is "toddler noise" with zero originality which makes it much worse.

I can't hear you over the sound of Rainbow Curse still not being out here

I can't hear you over not getting the regular size N3DS with better screen PPI, easier-to carry form factor, Super Fami colored buttons and face plates.

Rainbow Curse is good but it's a short, semi-budget title at 39.99 and is not for everyone due to its length and touch screen focus. Woolly World is a full fledged platformer sequel in the Yoshi's Island series priced at $49.99-59.99 from a developer everyone can Feel Good about. Unless this gets bad word of mouth in previews, you're definitely getting the better deal. Again.

I guess this is to fill time slots? I don't understand this practice but I guess Nintendo doesn't have a ton of Wii U games so it couldn't hurt to sprinkle them evenly.

That was February and that was Kirby. Europe is getting Splatoon on May 29th, the same day as the U.S. then Yoshi in late June, creating a solid summer lineup for Europe. Meanwhile, NOA has delayed Yoshi until "Fall" which unless by that they mean late August or September, will probably be around October, meaning no AAA Wii U titles in the U.S. for about 4-5 months after Splatoon's release. NOA's excuse is probably to give Splatoon "breathing room" here when the reality is they're too cheap to give Splatoon the proper marketing and advertising it needs to get people outside of the core fanbase to actually care or know it exists. Creating a 4-5 month gap of no major Wii U titles in NA does not help Splatoon in the long run and only serves to rile an already very annoyed American fanbase. Delaying Yoshi in NA is just typical, dumb management from NOA, pure and simple.

jariw

That was February and that was Kirby. Europe is getting Splatoon on May 29th, the same day as the U.S. then Yoshi in late June, creating a solid summer lineup for Europe. Meanwhile, NOA has delayed Yoshi until "Fall" which unless by that they mean late August or September, will probably be around October, meaning no AAA Wii U titles in the U.S. for about 4-5 months after Splatoon's release. NOA's excuse is probably to give Splatoon "breathing room" here when the reality is they're too cheap to give Splatoon the proper marketing and advertising it needs to get people outside of the core fanbase to actually care or know it exists. Creating a 4-5 month gap of no major Wii U titles in NA does not help Splatoon in the long run and only serves to rile an already very annoyed American fanbase. Delaying Yoshi in NA is just typical, dumb management from NOA, pure and simple.

NoA is the biggest amiibo market. NoA wants to make sure Yarn Yoshi amiibo stock is in control before they announce a release date. "Fall" most probably means "as soon as we'll know we have enough Yarn Yoshi amibo stock".

NoA is the biggest amiibo market. NoA wants to make sure Yarn Yoshi amiibo stock is in control before they announce a release date. "Fall" most probably means "as soon as we'll know we have enough Yarn Yoshi amibo stock".

That's Yoshi Poop.

Considering Wave 4 Amiibo came out in Europe, Japan and Australia a month before America. Yet they are still massively undersupplied in the USA.

It's all marketing/cost cutting, I tell you.

Davey Cakes

As others have mentioned, the game (from a visual standpoint) looks phenomenal. It definitely looks like something that will be perfect to play with a friend on a sunny afternoon.

But I am worried that there is a chance of the game sucking, given how uneven the Yoshi series has been post Yoshi Story.
I see this game as a new take. It doesn't give me Yoshi's Island vibes, really.

I'm expecting it to be in line with the other Good Feel games I've played: Wario Land Shake It! and Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Those were good games with some issues here and there. Woolly World won't blow minds and it won't be particularly difficult, but I imagine it'll still be relaxing and fun.

Besides, people say Yoshi's New Island is underrated, and WW looks a fair bit better. I'm confident it'll be just fine.

Even if that were true, that's still not a valid reason to delay the game either since it's just an optional bonus accessory and knowing NOA's track record, they will probably screw up Amiibo supply and demand on their own by making the knit Yoshi figures exclusive to either GameStop or Walmart.

That's Yoshi Poop.

Considering Wave 4 Amiibo came out in Europe, Japan and Australia a month before America. Yet they are still massively undersupplied in the USA.

It's all marketing/cost cutting, I tell you.

Yep, it's just good old, crappy, cheap, and incompetent NOA tactics.

LoveCake

Glad i managed to get my pre-order in for the Woolly Amibio version, looks very good with some interesting gameplay mechanics.

jariw

Even if that were true, that's still not a valid reason to delay the game either since it's just an optional bonus accessory and knowing NOA's track record, they will probably screw up Amiibo supply and demand on their own by making the knit Yoshi figures exclusive to either GameStop or Walmart.

Probably. But the Yoshi game was delayed in NoE as well because of the Yarn Yoshi amiibo thing.

Yep, it's just good old, crappy, cheap, and incompetent NOA tactics.

It actually makes perfect sense to release both the game and the Amiibos at the same time from a marketing standpoint. It maximizes exposure for both products. Having the game alongside the figures makes a lot of sense for the holidays. It feels like a great "Christmas morning" experience.

Of course, it still sucks, big time, for consumers waiting to play the game, especially since it will have been finished for months.

It actually makes perfect sense to release both the game and the Amiibos at the same time from a marketing standpoint. It maximizes exposure for both products. Having the game alongside the figures makes a lot of sense for the holidays. It feels like a great "Christmas morning" experience.

Of course, it still sucks, big time, for consumers waiting to play the game, especially since it will have been finished for months.

Do we even know that's the reason it's delayed? Is it Amiibo production issues or to give Splatoon "breathing room" in America or a little of both? If it's because Splatoon needs more exposure, then they need to give it more TV ads and some good cross promotion (there was a photo shop of Splatoon themed pop tarts, pop sickles, ect) Doing a few weak ads, a Directs and some NOA tweets all of which most outside of core fans will see is not going to save Splatoon from barely doing better than Wonderful 101 which NOA also hung out to dry with minimal marketing. Marketing ineptitude aside, delaying another game here 4-5 months in the U.S. when EU will get it on time will not help Splatoon significantly if at all since it's an online multiplayer centered game and Yoshi is a platformer, neither should be interfering with the other's target gameplay market.

If it's really because of wanting enough of a particular Amiibo, well they have their previous Amiibo mess ups which they should have learned from and adjusted for a LONG time ago. If Europe is getting the game and their Yoshi Amiibos on time, then there shouldn't be any reason why NOA couldn't have already been making steps to boost the production for some extra Amiibo skus in the U.S. that wouldn't require a rediculous 4-5 month delay.

And again all of this reasoning is also assuming NOA doesn't make the Yoshi knit Amiibo's yet another idiotic retailer exclusive at GS or Walmart. It's like their moronic and contradictory excuses for not bringing the standard N3DS over here. "We don't want to have too many skus on shelves and confuse people." Ok, then remove the OG 3DS and OG XL lines first. NOA has no business whining about retail sku supply problems when their supply chain people couldn't even get copies of Mario 3D World and LBW stocked on most Best Buy shelves nationwide on Nov 21, '13 when those games launched. I arrived around noon that day and I had to have a Best Buy rep walk back to the store to get my copies of 3DW and LBW because they were just sitting in the back and the reps hadn't stocked them yet in spite of the fact it was no longer morning and the launch day for two of Nintendo's most important games. Many other folks here had the same problem that day. Does that sound like a company that is on top of retail relations?

So, any way you cut it, delaying the game is due to incompetence on NOA's part and they have no right to use retail sku problems as a red herring when they can barely get games stocked on their launch dates these days, stink up shelves with old gen XL stock before a new sku's release, continue to stock Wii Mini and then cry "But-but sku shelf reasons a-a-and consumer confusion!!!" when they're part of what's caused those problems to begin with! They need to ditch Leo Burnett and get a new ad agency, fix their supply chain, repair their relationship with retailers, boost Amiibo production consistently, stop making stupid retail exclusive Amiibo deals at the expense of consumers, and just get their act together on general. There is ZERO excuse for delaying the game here. Period.

jariw

If it's really because of wanting enough of a particular Amiibo, well they have their previous Amiibo mess ups which they should have learned from and adjusted for a LONG time ago. If Europe is getting the game and their Yoshi Amiibos on time, then there shouldn't be any reason why NOA couldn't have already been making steps to boost the production for some extra Amiibo skus in the U.S. that wouldn't require a rediculous 4-5 month delay.

Europe does not get the game on time. There are a few things pointing that this game was rescheduled world-wide, from April to June/fall. If the delay was caused by Zelda delay or the Yarn amiibo supply, I don't know. But since even Japan gets the game after Europe and since only Europe have a release date (or even a release month), I'd say it's all because of the amiibo supply. Splatoon and Mario Maker get simultaneous releases.

And we don't know if Europe will get the Yarn amiibo stock handled in a good way at release. It's a new kind of pretty specific amiibo production, and Nintendo probably doesn't want to have production troubles on all 3 amiibo markets at the same time.

And yeah, it sucks that toys delays games.

Europe does not get the game on time. There are a few things pointing that this game was rescheduled world-wide, from April to June/fall. If the delay was caused by Zelda delay or the Yarn amiibo supply, I don't know. But since even Japan gets the game after Europe and since only Europe have a release date (or even a release month), I'd say it's all because of the amiibo supply. Splatoon and Mario Maker get simultaneous releases.

And we don't know if Europe will get the Yarn amiibo stock handled in a good way at release. It's a new kind of pretty specific amiibo production, and Nintendo probably doesn't want to have production troubles on all 3 amiibo markets at the same time.

And yeah, it sucks that toys delays games.

You're getting the game on time as it stands now because the game is finished and you're not getting it 4-5 months late. Not to sound rude, but how many times does this need to be repeated? And yes it's stupid that a toy may be delaying a finished game, but even if that's the reason, NOA should have already learned from their previous Amiibo mistakes as I outlined above. And again, if that Yoshi Amiibo ends up being GS or Walmart elusive, well that just makes the delay all the more pointless.

I'm not saying NoA isn't incompetent. They seem to do a lot of crazy things that make no sense to us on the outside. However, if Amiibo supply issues are the reason the game is releasing later in Japan and North America (again, this is all speculation), I can understand where they're coming from, even if I don't like it one bit. The Wooly Yoshi Amiibos are going to be marketed just as much as the game itself and releasing these two products at different times (or releasing the Amiibo in very limited quantities at the game's launch) would be foolish.

And obviously the Amiibo situation should have been fixed by now. No one is arguing otherwise. Everyone who has any interest in Amiibo is frustrated by how it's been handled by Nintendo, particularly in North America.

I'm not saying NoA isn't incompetent.

I can understand where they're coming from....

Does not compute. You agree that they're incompetent but you see where they're coming from? Even if you sympathize with their motive, you agree with me that they're still too incompetent to properly act on that supposed motive, assuming that's even the real reason for the delay. So what's the point in defending them from any minute angle at this point?

And obviously the Amiibo situation should have been fixed by now. No one is arguing otherwise.

Then why do you keep seeking to rationalize their incompetence?

And again, if those Yoshi Amiibos end up being GS or Walmart exclusive, then what's being said matters even less. They don't need a 4-5 month delay for such a niche bonus item. If they can get all the additional waves not to mention the Mario Party Amiibos out on time then they should be able to handle this.

Mory Dunz

man, i really wish Nintendo would use Anti-aliasing..

Well, it'd have to come from somwhere else though.

You could have it like:
- 60fps platformer with little/none anti-aliasing
- 30fps platformer with better anti-aliasing
- 60fps platofmer with better anti-aliasing that probably looks like garbage lol

Red Devil

But I am worried that there is a chance of the game sucking, given how every game with the name Yoshi attached to it sucked except for Yoshi's Island.

Fixed it for you.

OmegaFax

And again, if those Yoshi Amiibos end up being GS or Walmart exclusive, then what's being said matters even less. They don't need a 4-5 month delay for such a niche bonus item. If they can get all the additional waves not to mention the Mario Party Amiibos out on time then they should be able to handle this.

Petsmart exclusive pink. Petco exclusive blue. Everyone else, green. Yes, it's probably a bad idea but I'm thinking about buying my cat a yarn Amiibo to chew on.

Petsmart exclusive pink. Petco exclusive blue. Everyone else, green. Yes, it's probably a bad idea but I'm thinking about buying my cat a yarn Amiibo to chew on.

How about a Mr. Rogers game with a Meow-Meow Kitty Amiibo for your cat to cannibalize? Nightmare fuel.

"Meow, meow supply, demand and consumer materialism meow-meow-meow!"

6a00e54ff1492b8834010536f9ca75970b-800wi

Speaking of nightmare fuel from Mr. Rogers....

ladyelaine.jpg

Top Bottom