• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Young Blacks Voice Skepticism on Hillary Clinton, Worrying Democrats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Baby steps have done jack shit in my neck of the woods dems alike, and I've been politically active for 20 years. At some point this just deal with it line turns into total bullshit especially on the local level.

No I didn't just get active with Bernie. No Obama wasn't my first fucking election. Yes I voted for Gore in 2000. Yes I've gone to local political gatherings. Yes I plan on voting for Clinton in the fall.

Doesn't mean I should be happy about it nor does it mean in many aspects shit hasn't gotten better over my 20 year active political awareness. For everything that's better other things have stayed the same or gotten worse.

Well as long as we live in a country that allows more than two political parties I guess we are going to keep running into this issue.

You know why the US has a 2 party system? Because literally our laws and constitution create such a system. It would literally take constitutional amendments to make the US not a 2 party system, so it's probably never going to happen.

You want a new option? Well for a new party to rise one of the two current ones must fall. So unless you help us Democrats make the GOP a thing of the past, you're not going to see a realistic but more left leaning option than the Democratic Party.

I'm going back a few pages, but when Bernie supporters will bend over backwards for Biden it does little to shake off the accusation that it was primarily a cult of personality.

I mean, I like Biden and would have gladly supported him, because he's a centrist Democrat that is very close to a lot of my political views. When Bernie supporters say "yeah, but he's the kind of guy I can have a beer with, I can forgive him for being a textbook Democrat" it becomes pretty much impossible to tell them apart from Trump supporters in terms of motivation.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Functionally six months IIRC due to a few Dems being ill, or something along those lines, but it'd also assume every Republican attends every session to stop said control, wouldn't it? Doesn't detract from the point that there was a window of time to do so, and considering Obama's touted 'Within a year, immigration reform' promises....yes, I am holding him and the Democratic Party accountable for failing on their biggest campaign promise to Hispanics and treating it as political capital, as both the Dems and Republicans have done so in the past.

And you essentially just doubled down there. 72 days is not "functionally six months." Consider also that there were at least a couple moderate/conservative Democrats who didn't necessarily just vote in line with the party, and even that amount was tenuous.

Every voter should be skeptical about every candidate. If you think you've found one who doesn't deserve a level of skepticism then you're lying to yourself. But you shouldn't let that skepticism turn you stupid either by making it so you don't vote, or you vote for the even worse candidate.

So in other words...yes, Obama failed in his campaign promises to Hispanics. No, I shouldn't hold it against the Dems and Obama despite their six year recess from the idea and all of the people his administration has seen deported in the meantime. Nevermind that it was his biggest pitch to a large and important voting block which he threw under a bus for six years before he could be arsed to take any form of action, or the 11 million people sitting in the balance due to the inaction of the President as a lobbyist of his own campaign promise, or the Democrats at large.

Am I supposed to be happy with the Democrats for the actions they've taken in the last eight years, of which only two I can remotely call positive? Or am I supposed to nod, say yup, sometimes you win sometimes you lose, and call it a day, but he did his best? Or even made an attempt that doesn't ring hollow? Because let's not forget, the 2014 push came because the goddamn GOP started making noise about it. Neither Obama nor the Dems showed any initiative. Ergo, raking. over. coals.

You keep talking about how the democrats squandered the chance to pass immigration reform, yet you still won't answer my question of what they shouldn't have focused on in that small window so that they could pass immigration reform.

And you essentially just doubled down there. 72 days is not "functionally six months." Consider also that there were at least a couple moderate/conservative Democrats who didn't necessarily just vote in line with the party, and even that amount was tenuous.

Plus it wasn't even 60 senators at any point unless you count Joe Lieberman.

I'm going back a few pages, but when Bernie supporters will bend over backwards for Biden it does little to shake off the accusation that it was primarily a cult of personality.

I mean, I like Biden and would have gladly supported him, because he's a centrist Democrat that is very close to a lot of my political views. When Bernie supporters say "yeah, but he's the kind of guy I can have a beer with, I can forgive him for being a textbook Democrat" it becomes pretty much impossible to tell them apart from Trump supporters in terms of motivation.

It's almost like they just prefer the white male candidate, considering Clinton is pretty much in between Bernie and Biden in terms of political leaning, yet somehow he gets a pass

Jonm1010

Banned
So in other words...yes, Obama failed in his campaign promises to Hispanics. No, I shouldn't hold it against the Dems and Obama despite their six year recess from the idea and all of the people his administration has seen deported in the meantime. Nevermind that it was his biggest pitch to a large and important voting block which he threw under a bus for six years before he could be arsed to take any form of action, or the 11 million people sitting in the balance due to the inaction of the President as a lobbyist of his own campaign promise, or the Democrats at large.

Am I supposed to be happy with the Democrats for the actions they've taken in the last eight years, of which only two I can remotely call positive? Or am I supposed to nod, say yup, sometimes you win sometimes you lose, and call it a day, but he did his best? Or even made an attempt that doesn't ring hollow? Because let's not forget, the 2014 push came because the goddamn GOP started making noise about it. Neither Obama nor the Dems showed any initiative. Ergo, raking. over. coals.
Someone didn't read what I said. Just what they wanted me to have said.

Seems your issues with coming to grips with reality extend beyond political contextualization and understanding into moment to moment conversation.

You continue to paint this inaccurate, out of context picture of the political landscape and dance around the structural issues several people other then just me have pointed out to you. Tried engaging you by poising questions to get you to think outside of your current box to help you see things clearly.

Also I even started my last response to you encouraging criticism and pressure, I just prefaced that by imploring that people should do so within an understanding of context and reality. Something you continue to let elude you which is leading you to misplace some of that blame and outrage.

EMT0

Banned
I'm unfortunately not going to address every part of your post, but I just want to say one thing and then ask you a question:

IF Hillary wins, democrats take back the Senate, they somehow flip the house blue, and they STILL don't use the opportunity to pass immigration reform, then your criticism will become more valid than it already is.

But since you acknowledge that Obama and the democrats had less than 2 years and only so much can get done in that time, what should the blue houses of congress of 2009-2010 have not done so that they had time to pass immigration reform?

Incorrect. The way the senate rules work is that you always need 60 votes to break a filibuster.

Now, you COULD say that Harry Reid should have gone nuclear, but no one at the time thought the GOP obstruction was going to be even worse than it was in the 90s.

Honestly, I don't know what could have been pushed back because as I'm sure it's plenty obvious, I've got one issue I really care about and that I've done any degree of research into. What I do know is that as you say, there were many things Obama wanted to get done. He looked at immigration reform, and looked at other bills. And he chose those other bills. And then proceeded to not look back for 5-6 years. I honestly wouldn't have cared if it was a matter that had been pushed back longer than his 'within a year' campaign promise, as long as it was done or at least acted upon in a way that actually indicates his campaign promise being anything more than a cheap promise. Halfway through your second term is not that.

Obama's top priority in his second term was an immigration bill that sailed through the Senate and was blocked by the House. And when he couldn't get that through he announced a deferred action program. Maybe he should have passed it when he had two Democratic houses, but then maybe PPACA or Dodd-Frank wouldn't have passed. As someone mentioned before there's always a give and take here, and political capital isn't free, particularly when you spend it passing hyperpartisan bills.

I understand the frustration, but you're also ignoring the reality of the world and the system we're working with. If Obama can't get immigration reform, or gun control, or higher ed reforms etc through Congress that doesn't mean he secretly doesn't give a shit. I mean he might! I don't know! But most likely it means that there's not enough support in Congress to pass those things, regardless of what the president asks for. You know how you change that? You change Congress. And the way you change Congress is by voting, not by folding your arms and pouting.

So Obama's actions are a bit of a bandaid because he couldn't get the stitches. Do you vote for someone who supports getting those stitches? Or let someone get elected who will tear that bandaid right off because you withheld your vote? (And then he cuts off your arm) Clinton several times has indicated she wants to get immigration reform done within her first 100 days, and she even said recently she already has the votes for it in the Senate (before Democrats hopefully take it over, even). I can't speak for the House because it doesn't look like America is ready to take the asylum keys away from the inmates. But if this is your top issue there's a rather obvious distinction between the candidates here, regardless of any frustrations with Obama's priorities upon taking office.

Wouldn't it be great if I could actually stop folding my arms and pouting? I know it would be. But hey, thanks to Obama's inaction literally all I can do is cross my arms, pout, and post on NeoGAF to vent my frustrations about my inability to do anything, thanks to the inaction of the Democrats until they actually pull through on this eight-year long dog and pony show of a campaign promise on which he got the support of many of my friends and what family I have that can actually stop pouting.

And as I continue repeating. If the only response you've got for six years of nothing and a last minute push to slap something together to both neatly put a bow on Obama's legacy and deny the Republicans any cred with Hispanics, with a healthy side of 'At least the Dems aren't Trump'....okay? That doesn't tell me jack about why I should go quietly into supporting the Democrats, not be skeptical of them, and not critique them for their actions, or lack of them.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

What gets me is when people claim he is genuine, when he was forced to drop out of a presidential race in the past because he lied about his past, and plagiarized the lie.

His persona is literally and a documented fake. But Hillary is the fake one.

Jonm1010

Banned
Honestly, I don't know what could have been pushed back because as I'm sure it's plenty obvious, I've got one issue I really care about and that I've done any degree of research into. What I do know is that as you say, there were many things Obama wanted to get done. He looked at immigration reform, and looked at other legislature. And he chose that other legislature. And then proceeded to not look back for 5-6 years. I honestly wouldn't have cared if it was a matter that had been pushed back longer than his 'within a year' campaign promise, as long as it was done or at least acted upon in a way that actually indicates his campaign promise being anything more than a cheap promise. Halfway through your second term is not that.

You continue to completely misrepresent context. I guess at least in this post you admit to being ignorant of that context because you are a one issue voter and not paying much attention to issues outside of immigration reform. Its still not an excuse though.

Wouldn't it be great if I could actually stop folding my arms and pouting? I know it would be. But hey, thanks to Obama's inaction literally all I can do is cross my arms, pout, and post on NeoGAF to vent my frustrations about my inability to do anything, thanks to the inaction of the Democrats until they actually pull through on this eight-year long dog and pony show of a campaign promise on which he got the support of many of my friends and what family I have that can actually stop pouting.

And as I continue repeating. If the only response you've got for six years of nothing and a last minute push to slap something together to both neatly put a bow on Obama's legacy and deny the Republicans any cred with Hispanics, with a healthy side of 'At least the Dems aren't Trump'....okay? That doesn't tell me jack about why I should go quietly into supporting the Democrats, not be skeptical of them, and not critique them for their actions, or lack of them.

Skepticism is fine, criticism is fine(when it is accurate), activism is great, what people are taking issue with is your aversion to facts and context. Things that are leading you to silly notions that Dems just basically maliciously ignored immigrants and that given that false narrative Trump and Hillary are seemingly being inferred to be similar to the point of feeling like "whats the point?" Seemingly taking a "prove to me completely before I support you" non-participatory stance that works counter to how history shows us change is illicited in American politics.

Eh, Joe's an asshole, but he would've been OK on immigration reform. The problem would've been somebody like Nelson in Nebraska.
...or Vermont's Bernard Sanders.

Voted against comprehensive immigration reform in 2007
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2015/sep/22/fact-checking-viral-graphic-critical-bernie-sander/

In 2007, when George W. Bush was president, Sanders joined with some conservative Republicans in opposing a comprehensive immigration bill. The bipartisan bill, sponsored by the late Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass., and Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., went down in defeat.

At the time, Sanders worried that an influx of legal immigrants would lower wages for workers. "Sanders was basically one of our only allies … especially for low-skilled workers" in 2007, Ana Avendano, a former top immigration official at the AFL-CIO, told Politico earlier this year. "He adamantly put his foot down and said these kinds of programs (allow) employers to bring in more and more vulnerable workers."

"I wasn’t happy when he voted against the bill and I wasn’t happy we lost. It hurt," immigration-reform advocate Frank Sharry told Politico.

Democratic Sens. Sherrod Brown of Ohio, Debbie Stabenow of Michigan and Tom Harkin of Iowa joined Sanders in voting against the measure. Clinton, by contrast, voted for the immigration bill, as did then-Sens. Barack Obama and Joe Biden.

I find it really weird you keep harping on "Obama didn't do anything about immigration until six years later" when the push for the DREAM Act happened in the 2010 lame duck session and the big immigration reform push happened at the beginning of his second term. Neither of these things were successful but you make it sound like he just sat on his hands for six years as opposed to trying to do something for those six years, and then taking executive action when he couldn't get it done legislatively.

good.

why vote for a family whose policies brought about the incarceration of many of their young men and women?

fuck that
Yeah, we should have voted in Bernie Sanders, who also supported policies which brought about the incarceration of many of their young men and women.

Might as well boot out the congressional black caucus who overwhelmingly supported Clinton's crime bill, bunch of race traitors. Fuck you John Lewis, you don't know what you're talking about. No TPP!

EMT0

Banned
Skepticism is fine, criticism is fine(when it is accurate), activism is great, what people are taking issue with is your aversion to facts and context. Things that are leading you to silly notions that Dems just basically maliciously ignored immigrants and that given that false narrative Drumpf and Hillary are seemingly being inferred to be similar to the point of feeling like "whats the point?"

Now you're putting words into my mouth. Where have I indicated that I don't (begrudgingly) back the Democrats? I'm actually optimistic about Clinton, even if she isn't Obama-tier in charisma, and her work on behalf of children *cough Dreamers cough* is well known. It'll be a cold day in hell before I could ever point to Clinton and Trump and even remotely look at them as being similar.

What I AM saying is that Clinton, having a (D) next to her name, may have me hopeful about her individual record but does not fill me with confidence as a result of these last eight years, or even further back if we go into Dubya territory, because the actions or inactions of the Democrats speak for themselves and as we're all happy to keep pointing out, no President is an absolute monarch. As I keep repeating, what am I supposed to see except 6 years of inaction, and a scramble to push some form of legislature once the threat of Hispanics voting Republican became plausible in 2014?

And yes, I have been reading through your posts. How have I been misrepresenting context, or ignoring facts? How does the Dem's recent history with immigration reform in any way leave anything but a dubious or outright skeptical context as to what I can expect from them?

I've written a few posts addressing this sentiment. I've no problem rehashing them here:

Democrats Advance Most Progressive Platform in Party History
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/democrats-advance-most-progressive-platform-party-history-n606646

Sanders endorses Clinton, touts 'most progressive platform' in history
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/07/12/sanders-expected-to-finally-endorse-clinton-in-new-hampshire.html

Clinton, Dems embrace a progressive vision with little resistance
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/clinton-dems-embrace-progressive-vision-little-resistance

FiveThirtyEight on Clinton's political leaning.

DailyKos:

The New York Times:

Timeline: How Hillary Clinton Has Championed Women’s Rights
http://www.self.com/work/politics/2015/04/timeline-how-hillary-clinton-has-paved-the-way-for-womens-rights/

5 Times Hillary Clinton Pushed for LGBT Rights
http://shewinswewin.org/blog/5-times-hillary-clinton-pushed-for-lgbt-rights/

[Hillary Clinton] urged President Obama to push harder against homophobic regimes in Africa.
http://www.newnownext.com/8-times-hillary-clinton-was-a-champion-of-lgbt-equality/02/2016/

Hillary Clinton in the Civil Rights Era
http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/3/4/1495575/-Hillary-Clinton-in-the-Civil-Rights-Era

How Hillary Clinton Went Undercover to Examine Race in Education
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/28/us/politics/how-hillary-clinton-went-undercover-to-examine-race-in-education.html

There is "very little" that is progressive about her, you say? Sorry, but that comment immediately marks you as someone who has not invested much energy into becoming familiar with who Hillary Clinton is, her political history, and perhaps American politics. Her record is consistent, and it is progressive. This is reality.

Please join us in it.

This post should not be ignored.

good.

why vote for a family whose policies brought about the incarceration of many of their young men and women?

fuck that

Serious question, do people know tha Bernie also voted for those policies or what?

Jonm1010

Banned
Now you're putting words into my mouth. Where have I indicated that I don't (begrudgingly) back the Democrats? I'm actually optimistic about Clinton, even if she isn't Obama-tier in charisma, and her work on behalf of children *cough Dreamers cough* is well known. It'll be a cold day in hell before I could ever point to Clinton and Trump and even remotely look at them as being similar.

What I AM saying is that Clinton, having a (D) next to her name, may have me hopeful about her individual record but does not fill me with confidence as a result of these last eight years, or even further back if we go into Dubya territory, because the actions or inactions of the Democrats speak for themselves and as we're all happy to keep pointing out, no President is an absolute monarch. As I keep repeating, what am I supposed to see except 6 years of inaction, and a scramble to push some form of legislature once the threat of Hispanics voting Republican became plausible in 2014?

And yes, I have been reading through your posts. How have I been misrepresenting context, or ignoring facts? How does the Dem's recent history with immigration reform in any way leave anything but a dubious or outright skeptical context as to what I can expect from them?

Again, not when you continue to frame them out of context.

People have been responding and explaining it to you for pages now. You just put your head into the sand and ignore them or talk past them.

Obama came into office amidst two major economic crisis and a very fragile majority that was composed of many DINO's riding in on his wave. Those two issues took up a ton of time and political capital and by 2010 we as democrats failed to show up to the polls(including historically low hispanic turnout) and essentially set into motion the immovable roadblock of obstructionism and gave Republicans headway into re-witing district maps to marginalize minorities and maximize their returns for the next ten years.

Obama showed apprehension due to legality issues when it came to using the executive in ways like his predecessor(something that was also a campaign promise) and what he at the time felt like was over-reach. As time went on and the political reality of Republicans obstructionism became calcified, Obama broke that promise and began trying to extend the power of the executive to its breaking point to make good on other promises like immigration. That entire process was long and arduous, not some half assed gesture he threw at minorities like a scrap of rotten food.

The ugly underbelly in all that is that hispanics are not a reliable voting bloc. They tend to have historic low turnout in midterms while those that oppose many of their policies turn out in droves(old white conservatives). Which puts a party that is trying to champion their cause, at least to some extent, in a precarious situation politically.

People keep filling you in with context like that, about the larger ugly side of political sausage making and why some of your criticism is misguided or off the mark and then all you respond with is nonsense like this:

Obama failed in his campaign promises to Hispanics. No, I shouldn't hold it against the Dems and Obama despite their six year recess from the idea and all of the people his administration has seen deported in the meantime. Nevermind that it was his biggest pitch to a large and important voting block which he threw under a bus for six years before he could be arsed to take any form of action, or the 11 million people sitting in the balance due to the inaction of the President as a lobbyist of his own campaign promise, or the Democrats at large.

Going right back to ignoring context and pushing your false narrative.

I am glad though that despite all this you are at least not folding your arms and sitting on the sidelines like your last post came off to me.

Kin5290

What gets me is when people claim he is genuine, when he was forced to drop out of a presidential race in the past because he lied about his past, and plagiarized the lie.

His persona is literally and a documented fake. But Hillary is the fake one.
But, don't you see? He's a genial old white man. Just like grandpa!

Raonak

Banned
As a non-US minority, i'll give my 2c.

Hillary's way too entrenched in classic politics and just pretty much panders to whatever is popular at the time. I'm not a fan of her as a candidate.

BUT.... her party platform is one worth voting for, and she's infinitely better than trump,

...or Vermont's Bernard Sanders.

Voted against comprehensive immigration reform in 2007
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2015/sep/22/fact-checking-viral-graphic-critical-bernie-sander/

I think this is a fair point to bring up, but I also think you should balance the optics with Bushes Secure Fence act that both Clinton and Obama voted for. Not because I am personally against controlling your borders in any capacity, but you'd be hard pressed to argue that the democrats have not tried to distance themselves from this to create more of a contrast in xenophobia towards illegals in this cycle. An understandable move, and not necessarily a criticism. Just to say that they both (Sanders and Clinton) have polished the halo on this subject.

Without quoting that post, I'll just say this, since you didn't actually refute anything, Walrus.

You simply know less than what you're trying to argue, and an outsider you're missing the nuance when thats a large part of the conversation; you've admitted as much, and saying that means you can't see the forest for the trees yourself when you argue and post fact-less bullshit.

It's quite fascinating how we've gone back to February.

I cannot refute anything you say because you didn't bring anything to the table. You're simply ignorant and use your shit derail as a dogwhistle. I'm not going to entertain your derail of educating you because you're ignorant about special money lobbying, candidacy favorism at the global stage or basic facts about social democracy or welfare reform which you obviously don't know anything about giving your stump speech. Educate yourself, and if you wish- you can send me a PM. I'm done responding to you in this thread.

Jonm1010

Banned

Hillary's way too entrenched in classic politics and just pretty much panders to whatever is popular at the time. I'm not a fan of her as a candidate.

BUT.... her party platform is one worth voting for, and she's infinitely better than trump,

One persons entrenchment is another persons experience.

One could just as easily argue her experience and lessons learned from decades in all areas of the national political system gives her a unique level of experience that has never existed.

Pandering within the bounds of what is acceptable in the ever shifting and elusive mainstream is pretty much what representative democracy on almost every level is. I think the better question is are her promises good ones and does she try to make good on her promises? And for the most part that is typically yes.

Functionally six months IIRC due to a few Dems being ill, or something along those lines, but it'd also assume every Republican attends every session to stop said control, wouldn't it? Doesn't detract from the point that there was a window of time to do so, and considering Obama's touted 'Within a year, immigration reform' promises....yes, I am holding him and the Democratic Party accountable for failing on their biggest campaign promise to Hispanics and treating it as political capital, as both the Dems and Republicans have done so in the past.

Not quite. The 6 months number is not based on health, it is based on actual seats. There were approximately 6 months where, theoretically, Democrats and Independents combined to have enough votes, assuming everyone was healthy and voting.

But during that key 6 month time frame where they technically had control, there were 2 months where Kennedy was dying and didn't vote at all. That's why people generally conclude they had 4 months.

However, that 4 month window includes a very ill Robert Byrd, two right-leaning Democrats who voted to permanently extend the Bush tax cuts, independent Joe Lieberman, and other more conservative-leaning Democrats.

So there was no time frame in which Obama had control. You can say there were 4 months in which Democrats (including Bush tax cut supporting Democrats) + Independents combined to have enough votes, but that isn't close to saying Obama had control. It's almost a miracle Obamacare was passed at all, and it required some tricky maneuvering.

Jonm1010

Banned
I think this is a fair point to bring up, but I also think you should balance the optics with Bushes Secure Fence act that both Clinton and Obama voted for. Not because I am personally against controlling your borders in any capacity, but you'd be hard pressed to argue that the democrats have not tried to distance themselves from this to create more of a contrast in xenophobia towards illegals in this cycle. An understandable move, and not necessarily a criticism. Just to say that they both (Sanders and Clinton) have polished the halo on this subject.

I cannot refute anything you say because you didn't bring anything to the table. You're simply ignorant and use your shit derail as a dogwhistle. I'm not going to entertain your derail of educating you because you're ignorant about special money lobbying, candidacy favorism at the global stage or basic facts about social democracy or welfare reform which you obviously don't know anything about giving your stump speech. Educate yourself, and if you wish- you can send me a PM. I'm done responding to you in this thread.

Before you call people ignorant and without factual grounds to make their claims, perhaps you should get your own house in order?

You have made a lot of assertions and so far zero sourcing for any of it.

It is why I all but ignored your long winded response. That and your aimless responses that just seemed to go off on completely unrelated tangents arguing straw men.

Aaronology, I remember saying you should have made a thread out of your previous Hillary fact checking post that dispelled most of the bullshit, and with this recent post I really have to repeat that again. More people need to see this before saying blatantly ignorant statements
Yeah, I remember you saying that too. I've been on GAF since 2006 and I've never made a thread, though. I hate attention...

I assume he supports Corbyn then and all his MANY accomplishments from being pure.....
Corbyn is a great reminder of what Bernie Sanders could have potentially become for the Democrats, and I am very deeply relieved he did not win the nomination this year after watching what's become of Labour in the last several months. It's odd how anyone could wish that on Democrats in such a pivotal election year.

Quoting this again because goddamn.

I wish we knew each other in real life, as weird as that sounds.
Thanks, brobro. :)

Before you call people ignorant and without factual grounds to make their claims, perhaps you should get your own house in order?

You have made a lot of assertions and so far zero sourcing for any of it.

It is why I all but ignored your long winded response.

I wasn't talking to you, but you cannot disprove if you want to plead ignorance to the concept of the logistic of what reasonable concerns are.

Asking for receipts. How am I supposed to entertain that with facts? You make a lot of unbiased assertions here. This thread is about trustworthiness. - Not something you can prove or disprove.

So right back at you.

Jonm1010

Banned
Not quite. The 6 months number is not based on health, it is based on actual seats. There were approximately 6 months where, theoretically, Democrats and Independents combined to have enough votes, assuming everyone was healthy and voting.

But during that key 6 month time frame where they technically had control, there were 2 months where Kennedy was dying and didn't vote at all. That's why people generally conclude they had 4 months.

However, that 4 month window includes a very ill Robert Byrd, two right-leaning Democrats who voted to permanently extend the Bush tax cuts, independent Joe Lieberman, and other more conservative-leaning Democrats.

So there was no time frame in which Obama had control. You can say there were 4 months in which Democrats (including Bush tax cut supporting Democrats) + Independents combined to have enough votes, but that isn't close to saying Obama had control. It's almost a miracle Obamacare was passed at all, and it required some tricky maneuvering.

It seems to fall on deaf ears.

Jonm1010

Banned
I wasn't talking to you, but you cannot disprove if you want to plead ignorance to the concept of the logistic of what reasonable concerns are.

Asking for receipts. How am I supposed to entertain that with facts? You make a lot of unbiased assertions here. This thread is about trustworthiness. - Not something you can prove or disprove.

So right back at you.

You did respond to me. With a mountain of text and in all that nonsense sourced nothing, argued numerous straw men and pretty much talked past everything I said.

Refusing to even acknowledge when I gave you multiple sources how your assertions that being labeled a socialist isn't really a thing anymore. Making appeals to your self proclaimed unique insight from being an outsider as a substitute. Inferring I may be blinded because I am in the forest. Whatever the fuck that even means. You demanded proof from the poster prior and when you got it, you just tried to ignore it and hand wave it away.

You are not as well informed as you think you are. definitely not enough to go around making statements of fact without sourcing them. Your arrogance to denounce another poster for claiming the label of socialist no longer carries a notable stigma to worry about, should of served as a pause but it seems to just have emboldened your soap boxing and made you borderline hostile to criticism.

They did. Older Black Voters backed Hillary. It was the problem for Bernie. He had massive young voter support, but Hillary has the skeptics.

Bernie Sanders did not actually have "massive" support from millennial black voters.

The Washington Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/despite-black-lives-matter-young-black-americans-arent-voting-in-higher-numbers/2016/05/14/e1780b3a-1176-11e6-93ae-50921721165d_story.html
BLM%20Chart%202.jpg

NBC News
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/huge-split-between-older-younger-blacks-democratic-primary-n580996
Among blacks ages 45-59, Clinton was ahead 85 percent to 14 percent. Among blacks ages 30-44, Clinton won 70 percent, Sanders 29 percent.
black-vote-dems_cc84abd808e194d21d16a8c49cd504af.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.png

Bernie did his best in the under 30 demo, as you can see in NBC's more nuanced data, and even then he only managed to effectively tie Clinton.

Bernie Sanders did not actually have "massive" support from millennial black voters.

The Washington Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/despite-black-lives-matter-young-black-americans-arent-voting-in-higher-numbers/2016/05/14/e1780b3a-1176-11e6-93ae-50921721165d_story.html

NBC News
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/huge-split-between-older-younger-blacks-democratic-primary-n580996

Bernie did his best in the under 30 demo, as you can see in NBC's more nuanced data, and even then he only managed to effectively tie Clinton.
Notice too that Under 30s were by far the smallest portion of the electorate too.

Now I will grant that there is a very persistent voter suppression machine against minorities and especially young minorities, but the fact is Sanders ran his campaign to appeal to young people, who are far and away the least reliable turnout bloc. What the fuck did people think was going to happen?

The only one that needs educating is you. You have brought nothing when asked and instead chose to bury your head in the sand and claim superiority from nothing except a poor grasp of nuance.

No PM is forthcoming because you aren't really open to discussing anything. I'm dropping it because you are posting ineffectual word bombs strung together with condescension.

Anyways, back to the original point, her margins will be high among AA voters because she's actually done shit to help. The article is reaching.

You did respond to me. With a mountain of text and in all that nonsense sourced nothing, argued numerous straw men and pretty much talked past everything I said.

Refusing to even acknowledge when I gave you multiple sources how your assertions that being labeled a socialist isn't really a thing anymore. Making appeals to your self proclaimed unique insight from being an outsider as a substitute. Inferring I may be blinded because I am in the forest. Whatever the fuck that even means. You demanded proof from the poster prior and when you got it, you just tried to ignore it and hand wave it away.

You are not as well informed as you think you are. definitely not enough to go around making statements of fact without sourcing them. Your arrogance to denounce another poster for claiming the label of socialist no longer carries a notable stigma to worry about, should of served as a pause but it seems to just have emboldened your soap boxing and made you borderline hostile to criticism.
You're wrong here.
I never said being labeled a socialist wasn't a thing anymore. I didn't say it wouldn't be a problem. What I said was that it is speculation if it would have tanked him, which is true. What you're doing is taking the past as a historical equivalency of what would happen, but this is a bad approach to try and move the goal posts.
I didn't call anyone ignorant in the context you suggest. I was responding to the other poster suggesting a nationalistic sthick that you had to be American to be a part of this discussion. I've acknowledged my limitations as an outsider but attained that there is value in that too. If you want to take down as arrogance, that is on you and your sensibilities.

Lastly I want to say, I've brought it up in many threads- As have others about conflict of money interests in politics, Sanders social democratic policies, and so on. But those are not the subject of this thread, and so I am not going to link hunt. Do that yourself, inform yourself and then lets talk about it in another appropriate thread. It is getting tiring explaining this over and over in every thread.

So please please go back and read the thread. You've understood little of what I said. I'm well aware that socialism is still a stigma. But that doesn't mean he wouldn't win which is what the poster I responded to suggested. Any historian will tell you that it is a shitty way to argue by using the past as a measuring stick to predict the future. Nobody knows what would happen. I just find it disingenuous to say it with such certain. It's not a fact because you find something on iamright.com and spew it out like it's supposed to mean anything. Unrelated, irrelevant and off topic to what we're discussing.
The skepticism about Hillary.
You can send me a PM if there something specific you want to know with regards to anything of what I said. But lets not do it in this thread.

Jonm1010

Banned
You're wrong here.
I never said being labeled a socialist wasn't a thing anymore. I didn't say it wouldn't be a problem. What I said was that it is speculation if it would have tanked him, which is true. What you're doing is taking the past as a historical equivalency of what would happen, but this is a bad approach to try and move the goal posts.
I didn't call anyone ignorant in the context you suggest. I was responding to the other poster suggesting a nationalistic sthick that you had to be American to be a part of this discussion. I've acknowledged my limitations as an outsider but attained that there is value in that too. If you want to take down as arrogance, that is on you and your sensibilities.

Lastly I want to say, I've brought it up in many threads- As have others about conflict of money interests in politics, Sanders social democratic policies, and so on. But those are not the subject of this thread, and so I am not going to link hunt. Do that yourself, inform yourself and then lets talk about it in another appropriate thread. It is getting tiring explaining this over and over in every thread.

So please please go back and read the thread. You've understood little of what I said. I'm well aware that socialism is still a stigma. But that doesn't mean he wouldn't win which is what the poster I responded to suggested. Any historian will tell you that it is a shitty way to argue by using the past as a measuring stick to predict the future. Nobody knows what would happen. I just find it disingenuous to say it with such certain. It's not a fact because you find something on iamright.com and spew it out like it's supposed to mean anything. Unrelated, irrelevant and off topic to what we're discussing.
The skepticism about Hillary.
You can send me a PM if there something specific you want to know with regards to anything of what I said. But lets not do it in this thread.

You didn't bother reading my sources, just more straw men and soap boxing. Dismissing academic analysis, polling, well sourced op-eds and historical data that illustrate trends(that you likely didn't read and clearly are hand waving away even if you did) to substitute in favor of your assumptions and doubling down on earlier poorly qualified assertions.

If you can't be bothered to read my shit, or engage in issues in a reasoned manner, I sure as hell have no reason to re-read yours.

Goodbye.

Macam

Banned
Wish Hispanic Millenials had this kind of survey going on targeting them also. Mostly to rake the Dems over the coals for continuing to use immigration reform as bait but never delivering.

The result would be largely the same. HRC suffers from a lack of enthusiasm and trust among millenials writ large, but you'll get the same dismissive, derogatory attitude towards that hypothetical article as you would with the one in the OP.

Slayven

I don't get this argument
Bernie been in politics way longer than Hillary has

border

And that seems to be the double standard.

If she does something that agrees with widespread public opinion, she's pandering. If she goes against the grain, she's out of touch and not serving the people.

I would rather have someone that will shift with public opinion, rather than somebody that just does whatever the fuck they want on the basis of principles or ideology (G.W. Bush).

I don't get this argument
Bernie been in politics way longer than Hillary has

You don't understand. Bernie believes the same exact thing he did in 1975, which makes him pure. He hasn't let silly things like facts change his opinions, unlike sellouts like $Shillary "Butcher of Libya" Klinton.

You didn't bother reading my sources, just more straw men and soap boxing. Dismissing academic analysis, polling, well sourced op-eds and historical data that illustrate trends(that you likely didn't read and clearly are hand waving away even if you did) to substitute in favor of your assumptions and doubling down on earlier poorly qualified assertions.

If you can't be bothered to read my shit, or engage in issues in a reasoned manner, I sure as hell have no reason to re-read yours.

Goodbye.

I did read your sources though! But your sources are based on the same false equivalencies you're getting so mad at people not buying into. With all due respect, I don't think they accurately can say anything we have to take at face value in this election cycle. At least that escapes me.
You cannot for certain predict the future based on the past. The washington post article is just speculative at best. It highlights that it is just a possibility (one of many) that Sanders would have tanked. Re-read it ( https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...n-its-a-fair-question/?utm_term=.54e2ce697cc3 ).

Your second link was an opinion poll from end of 2011; http://www.people-press.org/2011/12...ponse-to-capitalism-socialism/?src=prc-number

And your third link is a study into 2004s Kerry-Bush election. One which is not very applicable today; http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~gelman/research/published/AOAS150.pdf

Jonm, instead of getting angry at me or accusing so many with a hostile tone, I'll just say this; historic events as a baseline of what will happen has to be vetted for changes in the future. I'd be like someone saying that Hillary cannot be president because there has never been a woman president.
Now, nobody in this thread, not me, or anyone else has ever claimed or sighted that there would not be those that who would respond negatively to Sanders socialist stick. What I said in my first post (if you read it) is just that I am tired of this being used as a boogeyman. Written and worded like a sure thing. Sanders comments would have killed him in the election once Fox started running it.
Even if that was true in 2004, or even in 2011, doesn't necessarily mean anything in 2016. At the precipice of a historical election that has defied all expectations.
There is no proof or source, or poll that can be provided or prove or refute this point, because it's a hypothetical. Sanders is not the nominee, and opinion polls are not a good gauge or indicator at the earlier stages to predict the outcome. It also ignore the PR machine that would have been built around Sanders as he traversed further into his campaign and got to explain the differences between his band of socialism and the misconceptions.
I just think it's to lazy to say it's a sure thing. I think you and me are on the same page that it would of course still have created problems. Just like it has created problems for Hillary being a woman. But in her case it is also difficult to accurately get a sense of how much of it is sexism. Or rather it's impossible given the nature of human beings versus the countless related and unrelated motivations one might have!
I feel it's impossible to really get an honest assessment of. Particularly because people tend to not even be truthful when being conducted into polls and interviews about their political leanings. People think like to think about themselves differently than they actually feel. Which means you get a skewed outlook. I don't have any english sources, but it's a phenomenon that has happened in a long time in many different contexts where there is a cognitive dissonance between how you want to be perceived and you feel. The bradley effect sounds a bit like it, but not quite; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_effect < This model focuses on politics, but it's the sort of thing that can take any number of forms.

The answer is no it would seem.
Said on the same page with polls showing that even in his best age demo for blacks Bernie only went toe to toe w/Clinton. Overall, Hillary won black millennials in a landslide.

Can we please move on from the 2016 Democratic Primary now?

Please?

Jonm1010

Banned
I did read your sources though! But your sources are based on the same false equivalencies you're getting so mad at people not buying into. With all due respect, I don't think they accurately can say anything we have to take at face value in this election cycle. At least that escapes me.
You cannot for certain predict the future based on the past. The washington post article is just speculative at best. It highlights that it is just a possibility (one of many) that Sanders would have tanked. Re-read it ( https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...n-its-a-fair-question/?utm_term=.54e2ce697cc3 ).

Your second link was an opinion poll from end of 2011; http://www.people-press.org/2011/12...ponse-to-capitalism-socialism/?src=prc-number

And your third link is a study into 2004s Kerry-Bush election. One which is not very applicable today; http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~gelman/research/published/AOAS150.pdf

Jonm, instead of getting angry at me or accusing so many with a hostile tone, I'll just say this; historic events as a baseline of what will happen has to be vetted for changes in the future. I'd be like someone saying that Hillary cannot be president because there has never been a woman president.
Now, nobody in this thread, not me, or anyone else has ever claimed or sighted that there would not be those that who would respond negatively to Sanders socialist stick. What I said in my first post (if you read it) is just that I am tired of this being used as a boogeyman. Written and worded like a sure thing. Sanders comments would have killed him in the election once Fox started running it.
Even if that was true in 2004, or even in 2011, doesn't necessarily mean anything in 2016. At the precipice of a historical election that has defied all expectations.
There is no proof or source, or poll that can be provided or prove or refute this point, because it's a hypothetical. Sanders is not the nominee, and opinion polls are not a good gauge or indicator at the earlier stages to predict the outcome. It also ignore the PR machine that would have been built around Sanders as he traversed further into his campaign and got to explain the differences between his band of socialism and the misconceptions.
I just think it's to lazy to say it's a sure thing. I think you and me are on the same page that it would of course still have created problems. Just like it has created problems for Hillary being a woman. But in her case it is also difficult to accurately get a sense of how much of it is sexism. Or rather it's impossible given the nature of human beings versus the countless related and unrelated motivations one might have!
I feel it's impossible to really get an honest assessment of. Particularly because people tend to not even be truthful when being conducted into polls and interviews about their political leanings. People think like to think about themselves differently than they actually feel. Which means you get a skewed outlook. I don't have any english sources, but it's a phenomenon that has happened in a long time in many different contexts where there is a cognitive dissonance between how you want to be perceived and you feel. The bradley effect sounds a bit like it, but not quite; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_effect < This model focuses on politics, but it's the sort of thing that can take any number of forms.
Is false equivalence your word of the day? Are you trying to see how many times you can use it in a thread?

What those sources speak to is a well regarded notion in American political science. Something that the Op-ed you hand waved away spoke about. That positions and candidates that are deemed outside of the mainstream will all but certainly lose elections. That moderation is a more consistently strong path toward victory in a general election then running as a major disruptor or far outside the mainstream. The study you derided spoke to that. That the term socialism still carries with enough negative connotations, based on the evidence we have, to make a person like Sanders very prone to attacks that would label him outside the mainstream and all but doom his candidacy in the way Dukakis experienced in the 80's. His only saving grace would be him running against Trump. Based on what evidence and analysis we have, that is your best argument that could carry weight and only because of how shitty a candidate Trump is.

To try and misrepresent what was in those pieces I provided to try and pack them into that neat straw man you want to keep beating up while substituting in your own unqualified assertions has run its course with me. You can have all the fun you want arguing that trends, polls, academic research, well sourced op-ed's and historical truisms should be set aside because "we just don't know for certain" but until you yourself can offer up evidence to speak to your own assertions, you are the one holding an empty bag, trying to tell others that it is full of gold.

Valhelm

contribute something

Do you have any examples of Bernie voters saying this? The whole "Diamond Joe" thing seems to be among moderate liberals who either supported Hillary or hoped Biden would run

Do you have any examples of Bernie voters saying this? The whole "Diamond Joe" thing seems to be among moderate liberals who either supported Hillary or hoped Biden would run

There's been numerous examples, including people in this own thread saying they don't trust Hillary, but Biden would've been OK.

HC is an old white woman who shmoozes with and is propped up by the same requisite rich white patriarchy that has been in power since forever.

The youth is right to be skeptical.

This. She is the Wall Street / Washington elite embodied. She is the corporate interests of the left establishment embodied. Same as her husband.

The Republican alternative is obviously dumber/worse, but we shouldn't have had her as the Democratic candidate in the first place. There was a much better one running. And there was a much better one than both who didn't run who should have: Elizabeth Warren.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom