• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Young Blacks Voice Skepticism on Hillary Clinton, Worrying Democrats

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

WASHINGTON — When a handful of liberal advocacy organizations convened a series of focus groups with young black voters last month, the assessments of Donald J. Trump were predictably unsparing.

But when the participants were asked about Hillary Clinton, their appraisals were just as blunt and nearly as biting.

“What am I supposed to do if I don’t like him and I don’t trust her?” a millennial black woman in Ohio asked. “Choose between being stabbed and being shot? No way!”

“She was part of the whole problem that started sending blacks to jail,” a young black man, also from Ohio, observed about Mrs. Clinton.

“He’s a racist, and she is a liar, so really what’s the difference in choosing both or choosing neither?” another young black woman from Ohio said.

Young African-Americans, like all voters their age, are typically far harder to drive to the polls than middle-aged and older Americans. Yet with just over two months until Election Day, many Democrats are expressing alarm at the lack of enthusiasm, and in some cases outright resistance, some black millennials feel toward Mrs. Clinton.

Their skepticism is rooted in a deep discomfort with the political establishment that they believe the 68-year-old former first lady and secretary of state represents. They share a lingering mistrust of Mrs. Clinton and her husband over criminal justice issues. They are demanding more from politicians as part of a new, confrontational wave of black activism that has arisen in response to police killings of unarmed African-Americans.

“We’re in the midst of a movement with a real sense of urgency,” explained Brittany Packnett, 31, a St. Louis-based leader in the push for police accountability. Mrs. Clinton is not yet connecting, she said, “because the conversation that younger black voters are having is no longer one about settling on a candidate who is better than the alternative.”

Interesting analysis. Hilary dominates older African American age groups, but the youth divide is telling.

I still think she will get these votes, but this shows the frustration with the process.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/05/u...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
False equivalency bingo is a game for any race, color or creed!

What do if I don’t like him and I don’t trust her?” a millennial black woman in Ohio asked. “Choose between being stabbed and being shot? No way!”

She's not getting those votes, young people will just stay home.

No teen or young adult going to be motivated enough to vote just to stop Donald Trump.....they just won't vote.

HC is an old white woman who shmoozes with and is propped up by the same requisite rich white patriarchy that has been in power since forever.

The youth is right to be skeptical.

entremet

She's not getting those votes, young people will just stay home.

Nobody kid is going to be motivated just to stop donald trump.....they just won't vote for him.

That's the fear:

In Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia, 70 percent of African-Americans under 35 said they were backing Mrs. Clinton, 8 percent indicated support for Mr. Trump and 18 percent said they were backing another candidate or did not know whom they would support. In 2012, Mr. Obama won 92 percent of black voters under 45 nationally, according to exit polling.

Over 25 percent of African-Americans are between 18 and 34, and 44 percent are older than 35, according to 2013 census data.

“There is no Democratic majority without these voters,” Mr. Belcher said. “The danger is that if you don’t get these voters out, you’ve got the 2004 John Kerry electorate again.”

These are not good numbers. I still think Hillary will win, but this may make it closer.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
False equivalency bingo is a game for any race, color or creed!

I mean, if I have to choose between getting stabbed in the arm and shot in the face, it's a real easy choice.

If Trump had the same bad 2 weeks post gop convention and Bernie was the nominee, the gap between the two in polls would be possibly historic.

keep telling yourself that

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Should've backed Bernie, ya dingleberries.

Bernie is unelectable and has been exposed as two dimensional and erratically off message. Hillary for all her faults will do better against Trump. Also we're going to see lots more of these stories as the media desperately struggles to create a horse race.

They're definitely right to be skeptical. It's hard to be inspired by either candidate.

Plus, think of it this way. The only president they really know is Obama. How does Hillary not seem like a huge step back in their eyes?

Bernie is unelectable and has been exposed as two dimensional and erratically off message. Hillary for all her faults will do better against Trump. Also we're going to see lots more of these stories as the media desperately struggles to create a horse race.

What would have worried me about Bernie is that I just feel Trump would have easily gotten him flustered during the debates. Not happening with Hillary

KingV

That's the fear:

These are not good numbers. I still think Hillary will win, but this may make it closer.

If Democrats Presidential candidates only got 70% of the black vote, they would be losing elections.

Obviously this is just young people, but it's a troubling trend.

entremet

Whose people are these?

It's based on polling and focus group data:

Mrs. Clinton’s difficulties with young African-Americans were laid bare in four focus groups conducted in Cleveland and Jacksonville, Fla., for a handful of progressive organizations spending millions on the election: the service employees union, a joint “super PAC” between organized labor and the billionaire environmentalist Tom Steyer, and a progressive group called Project New America. The results were outlined in a 25-page presentation by Cornell Belcher, a Democratic pollster, and shared with The New York Times by another party strategist who wanted to draw attention to Mrs. Clinton’s difficulties in hopes that the campaign would move more aggressively to address the matter.

B-but intersectionality.
That's why black people chose Hillary!
Will Gaf accept that Bernie appealed most largely to the age group of black Americans that would actually care about intersectionality yet?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I don't agree with all of Hillary's policies or some of her past actions, but I've never quite understood how she was so strongly labeled a liar. Was there some big 'scandal' outside of Benghazi people accuse her of lying about? Is it all about the emails?

How has the right wing media managed such a strong smear campaign when Trump lies nearly everyday and yet will likely get 50 million votes? I know partisanship is strong but still...

Why do you think this frustration exists, though?

It's easy to go WTF, but these feelings have come because of years of frustration and inaction.

Look I'm not black, but try as I might I cannot understand how 4 years of stagnancy can be the same as 4 years of an actual racist. How does that shit even begin to line up?
I don't agree with all of Hillary's policies or some of her past actions, but I've never quite understood how she was so strongly labeled a liar. Was there some big 'scandal' outside of Benghazi people accuse her of lying about? Is it all about the emails?

How has the right wing media managed such a strong smear campaign when Trump lies nearly everyday and yet will likely get 50 million votes? I know partisanship is strong but still..

Alt-righters believe in bullshit conspiracy theories to begin with so anything solid was never an issue. Once you start believing in conspiracy theories then any cognitive thought is out the window.

Azzanadra

Lol, yeah, "what's the difference". I can't get over just how naive and selfish a statement like that is. GOOD LUCK.

Well as colored people, they (we) know the struggle better than anyone else- the unfettered capitalist system that by nature discriminates against us is propped up by both candidates, so the young have a right to be skeptical of both candidates. Being in University myself, many PoC and Liberals in general recognize the connection between the status-quo capitalist system and white supremacy together, we are simply not allowed the same opportunities in this so called "free market". Having said that, I would sill implore these people to vote Hillary, especially if they live in a swing state.

entremet

None. And I'm actively searching for the meat in this article. Where is the data? Where are the receipts?

The methodology isn't just losing votes but engendering enthusiasm for her campaign.

Personally, I think they will vote her come Election Day, but this is a blind spot.

Clinton is winning like 90% of the black vote like any other Democrat

The media seems to feel the need to concern troll Clinton's electability quite a bit lately, maybe because Clinton's dominant polling numbers were starting to become boring as a story.

How has the right wing media managed such a strong smear campaign when Trump lies nearly everyday and yet will likely get 50 million votes? I know partisanship is strong but still..

In regards to young liberals, she only voted the same as Bernie 93% of the time during her time in the Senate. NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

No it wouldn't. Just stop with this garbage.

No!

I've felt it's a combination of several factors. The e-mail/Clinton Foundation smear campaign (and a lot of it Hillary's own doing) has definitely had a recent effect in the polls the last couple of weeks. I would imagine part of it is you have a lot of conservative leaning fence sitters that were gravitating towards voting Hillary, but the recent news stories have made them more comfortable voting Trump again, even if that train of thought is illogical. The debates should negate that, I think.

entremet

she's never had the youth, especially young black people.

it's old ass black people that got her nominated, Bernie never captured the old black vote.

They're also more politically engaged in general. I wonder how many registered young black voters voted in the primaries, especially since the Primaries are more focused on the lily white states and tend to be top heavy there.

Armaros

she's never had the youth, especially young black people.

it's old ass black people that got her nominated, Bernie never captured the old black vote.

Her latest polls put her at ~90% AA vote . Unless the young black vote is so tiny it doesn't even register, you would see some dip.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Clinton is winning like 90% of the black vote like any other Democrat

The media seems to feel the need to concern troll Clinton's electability quite a bit lately, maybe because Clinton's dominant polling numbers were starting to become boring as a story.
Even if she's clearly leading and at this point is assured to win, I wouldn't ignore her unfavorable ratings: she's been polling consistently poorly since starting her campaign. There should be a degree of worry there.

Slayven

They're also more politically engaged in general. I wonder how many registered young black voters voted in the primaries, especially since the Primaries are more focused on the lily white states and tend to be top heavy there.

But they don't vote

Kusagari

Her latest polls put her at ~90% AA vote . Unless the young black vote is so tiny it doesn't even register, you would see some dip.

Well I don't think the point of this article is to imply she won't get that percent. The worry is about turnout.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

How has the right wing media managed such a strong smear campaign when Trump lies nearly everyday and yet will likely get 50 million votes? I know partisanship is strong but still...

If you're in your 20's now, unless you're from NY, and even then, you grew up basically being told she's a liar and cannot be trusted under any circumstances. If you yell something loud enough for long enough it enters the subconscious and you just assume it's true, even with no proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom