• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Album of the Year 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The Joy Formidable - The Big Roar
600px-Bigroar.jpg

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Alright, off to bed. I'll check back here tomorrow. May this thread grow to epic proportions with lots of recommendations to pick after my sleep.

Steamlord

I probably should have included The Dear Hunter - The Color Spectrum: The Complete Collection in my runners-up. It's really impressive in terms of scope and ambition. It's primarily a rock album, but it delves into all kinds of subgenres, and a bit into other genres entirely. And it's two hours long - it's composed of 9 EPs each named after the different colors of the visible spectrum, and the color reflects the mood and style of the music on each EP.

Here's a playlist I found on Youtube. It's missing a track from the Blue EP for some reason, but the rest is all there.

Greg

I probably should have included The Dear Hunter - The Color Spectrum: The Complete Collection in my runners-up. It's really impressive in terms of scope and ambition. It's primarily a rock album, but it delves into all kinds of subgenres, and a bit into other genres entirely. And it's two hours long - it's composed of 9 EPs each named after the different colors of the visible spectrum, and the color reflects the mood and style of the music on each EP.

Here's a playlist I found on Youtube. It's missing a track from the Blue EP for some reason, but the rest is all there.
Yeah, it's an incredible release - probably the only non-metal CD that would crack my top 5 for the year.

May I ask where you got the recommendation for that one? Thats not exactly music you'll find easily.

I have been into the Videogame cover community for as long as I can remember, and Danimal Cannon is in arguably 2 of the most popular videogame cover bands of all time -Metroid Metal and Armcannon- so I follow him on Twitter/Facebook etc. He's a freakin' AWESOME guitarist too, and I'm a sucker for great solo guitarists. He's been making chiptune music for awhile, but this is his first ever album release, and it's freaking awesome haha. His album actually hit like #3 on Bandcamp.

That's where I know Danimal from. Here he is playing in Metroid Metal, he's the bald one haha : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsolhxDlfms

big ander

It's a great record :)

Be warned though, my list is all over the place...
Heh my tastes are too, I already listen to 6 or 7 of those artists so I'm sure I'll enjoy the rest
Everyone on here who doesn't even have James Blake in their top five, you're wrong. Also, we can't be friends. Those other few who did choose correctly, we should start like a club or be friends or something.

Anyone else feel like we need a thread of "Albums of the year that didn't come out this year" thread? I discover so much older music all the time and it always gets equal sharing with the new music I listen to as well.
the more surprising thing about blake has been his constant output. Dude never stops. One year was a full album, a smallish EP and a small single, and a full-sized ep. And he's not slowing down at all. Same with the weeknd.
I'd like that second thread. off the top of my head two old albums that have been huge for me this year are The Velvet Underground s/t and Frightened Rabbit's Sing The Greys (which was their only album I hadn't heard and is likely their best).

gdt

Just about the only album from this year that I've heard is Electric Six's Heartbeats and Brainwaves, and it was really good, but not a classic or anything. Nobody but me likes them anyway :(.

RDreamer

Steven_Wilson_-_Grace_for_Drowning.jpg

Steven Wilson - Grace for Drowning - This was not only my album of the year but really one of the best progressive rock albums to come out in decades. It has tons of amazing playing on every instrument. It has beautiful parts, and it has creepy parts. It's one of the best produced albums out there, too. Everything is crystal clear and every instrument has its place. And to top that off the thing's 2 discs long! It's basically two albums! I was smiling ear to ear after only the first few songs when I first heard this. I knew it was special almost right away. I knew it would take a place in my top albums of all time right from the very beginning.

Sample: Deform to Form a Star

The rest of my top 10:
2. Pain of Salvation - Road Salt Two
3. Devin Townsend - Deconstruction
4. The Decemberists - The King is Dead
5. Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events
6. Opeth - Heritage
7. The Dear Hunter - The Color Spectrum Complete Collection
8. Puscifer - Conditions of My Parole
9. Memories of Machines - Warm Winter
10. Mastodon - The Hunter

It's been an absolutely excellent year for music. My album of the year list has 80+ albums!

Lucario

HyAWm.jpg

JOIN US - They Might be Giants

So beautifully performed and mastered. There were a ton of candidates this year, but this album is just so amazing <3

theBishop

Banned
Iceage - New Brigade

iceagefront-small.jpg

Maybe the best punk record in a decade. The element of surprise is strong on every track. Several songs like the opener White Rune tap into the essence of Scandinavian metal, but manage to stay firmly within the post-punk, Joy-Division-at-their-rockingest frame.

Oneohtrix Point Never - Replica

13156.jpg

Replica fits into a brilliant groove between heady, conceptual electronic composition, and more club-oriented DJ production. There's a nice pacing of drone, beats, and noise. I love how big thematic changes gradually float above a broken-sounding loop or simple synth drone.

Sleep Dealer

Fjordson

artworks-000003144695-qp6dqh-original-500x500.jpg

Minks - By the Hedge

Iceage - New Brigade

Maybe the best punk record in a decade. The element of surprise is strong on every track. Several songs like the opener White Rune tap into the essence of Scandinavian metal, but manage to stay firmly within the post-punk, Joy-Division-at-their-rockingest frame.

Oneohtrix Point Never - Replica

Replica fits into a brilliant groove between heady, conceptual electronic composition, and more club-oriented DJ production. There's a nice pacing of drone, beats, and noise. I love how big thematic changes gradually float above a broken-sounding loop or simple synth drone.

Sleep Dealer
Great choices. Both of those are high up for me. Never heard Oneohtrix before listening to Replica last week, but I love it. Certain parts of it always remind me of Blade Runner and it's soudntrack for some reason.

Himself

1. Grouper-A I A
2. Iceage-New Brigade
3. Alvarius B.-Baroque Primitiva
3. Raspberry Bulbs-Nature Tries Again
4. Krallice-Diotima
5. Cass McCombs-Wit's End/Humor Risk
6. Sandwell District-Feed Forward
7. Circle of Ouroboros-Eleven Fingers
8. Peaking Lights-936
9. Bill Orcutt-How the Thing Sings
10. Jim O'Rourke-All Types of People Love Burt Bacharach

I didn't listen to much new stuff this year and this is off the top of my head.

K.Sabot

Big ol' list comin, yo.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. Destroyer - Kaputt

NewImage15.jpg

What makes this album so good?
Dan Bejar took this project in a weird direction, and it pays in how catchy it is.
What makes this top 5 material?
Tracks like Chinatown, Kaputt, and Savage Night at the Opera are rich with moments that you'll be unknowingly humming a year from now in some department store, I know I am now. This some toe tappin' shit.
Why not #1?
I honestly don't know, it's by far my most consistent listen, but that's only because It came out so long ago.

4. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
Helplessness+Blues+1.png

Fleet Foxes attempt to make an improvement on the sparse instrumentation of their first album and pass with flying colors, though from discussions I've had, that last part is debatable from fan to fan.
What makes it top 5 material?
It's just so damn romantic. I can't deny that this album is the most endearing release this year. Songs like Grown Ocean, Sim Sala Bim, and The Shrine / An Argument create more vivid imagery than any other album could boast this year.
Why not #1?
Despite being such a good listen, it's nothing all that new.

3. SBTRKT - SBTRKT
1308504926_cover.jpg

Why is it so damn sexy?
It's a future jazz dubstep soul dramatic reading of some teenager's diary in space. It's filled with drama, great beats, and beautiful vocals from guest artist Sampha.
What makes it top 5?
Songs like Hold On, Never Never and Something Goes Right simply exude emotion, and are quite addicting. It makes for difficult car music when someone is with me because after a certain point, I'll be attempting to sing with it.
Why not #1?
Wildfire

2. Atlas Sound - Parallax
atlas-sound_parallax.jpeg

It's Bradford Cox of Deerhunter, making a rock album, then injecting his patented oddities into it. It's lonely, thoughtful, infinitely replayable, and it's just a joy to experience his eccentric songwriting on this LP.
What makes this top 5 material?
Songs like Praying Man, Mona Lisa, and Lightworks are good head bobbers.
Why not #1?
The album art.

1. The Log.Os - &#955; &#972; &#947; &#959; &#962;
tumblr_lum5a2nHXk1qjra9bo1_500.jpg

It's the one album that took the whole "Minimalist Dubstep + Soul" and did it the way I actually wanted it to turn out. It's electronic soul, much like SBTRKT, but much more emergent, experimental, and sexy like Flying Lotus (which is funny, because Cosmogramma was my 2010 AOTY). It shows itself more on the strength of the songs rather than the production, even though its not lacking in that department either.
Why #1?
Songs like Blades, Nascent, Antikythera, and Tingy put me in some sort of space zen that I wish would last forever.

Oh it's also free and you can get it from here!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a lot of trouble with the list this year, so many good releases that fell out of my the top 5. With Kendrick Lamar, The Roots, Big Krit, and Death Grips, it was an amazing year for hip-hop as well. Next year is looking ill as shit with expected releases from Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear, and all of those 2009 AOTY bands.

Battles_GlossDrop_DIGITALpackshot.jpg

Battles - Gloss Drop

This is, by far, my favorite album of the year. Heck, maybe even the decade. Battles is definitely innovative when it comes to music, and that's just what I love looking for in a band. It's really hard to pick out a favorite song, because I really love them all, but if I REALLY have to choose one, it would have to be Wall Street. It's off-beat, catchy, and just all around damn good.

Please check out this awesome live performance of Wall Street - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-o5TRmiDIo

Oh yeah, and thanks to the unknown Gaffer for posting about Gloss Drop in the What, are you listening, too? thread awhile back. You introduced me to one of my all-time favorite bands!

EDIT: On second thought, I think it may have been a post by Green Scar! I think I love you. <3

iavi

Big ol' list comin, yo.

1. The Log.Os - &#955; &#972; &#947; &#959; &#962;
tumblr_lum5a2nHXk1qjra9bo1_500.jpg

It's the one album that took the whole "Minimalist Dubstep + Soul" and did it the way I actually wanted it to turn out. It's electronic soul, much like SBTRKT, but much more emergent, experimental, and sexy like Flying Lotus (which is funny, because Cosmogramma was my 2010 AOTY). It shows itself more on the strength of the songs rather than the production, even though its not lacking in that department either.
Why #1?
Songs like Blades, Nascent, Antikythera, and Tingy put me in some sort of space zen that I wish would last forever.

Oh it's also free and you can get it from here!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesssssssssssssssssss! This album is absolutely phenomenal. Nascent & Levels Log.Os in all experimental brilliance are easy contenders for songs of the year. Great pick.

Oh yeah, and thanks to the unknown Gaffer for posting about Gloss Drop in the What, are you listening, too? thread awhile back. You introduced me to one of my all-time favorite bands!

EDIT: On second thought, I think it may have been a post by Green Scar! I think I love you. <3

Haha, that's awesome. Glad to see my posts in those threads aren't worthless! :p

parasight

Funny how my 1 and 2 are both free mixtapes. Free music is best music!

1. Cities Aviv - Digital Lows
2144777120-1.jpg

This guy came out of nowhere and dropped my favorite album of the year. He is Hip Hop, as far as I'm concerned.

2. The Weeknd - House of Balloons
TheWeeknd_HouseOfBalloons-350x350.jpg

Proud to have talent like this coming out of Toronto. Top to bottom, all the tracks are bangers. These guys are going to be huge.

3. Raphael Saadiq - Stone Rollin'
Raphael_Saadiq-Stone_Rollin_3.jpg

Raw. Can't put it any better than that.

Honorable Mention:
- Watch the Throne
- Nine Types of Light
- Audio, Video Disco
- Take Care

abunai

I can't really pick one, but I can sort of narrow it down.

220px-2011Kaputt.jpg

Destroyer - Kaputt
Favourite song: Suicide Demo for Kara Walker

Disma-Towards-The-Megalith.jpg

Disma - Towards the Megalith
Favourite song: Vault of Membros

9206.jpg

Washed Out - Within and Without
Favourite song: Echoes

Wu-Lyf-Go-Tell-Fire-To-The-Mountain-300x300.jpg

WU LYF - Go Tell Fire to the Mountain
Favourite song: We Bros

Honorable mentions:
SBTRKT - SBTRKT
Kendrick Lamar - Section 80
Mastodon - The Hunter
Tim Hecker - Ravedeath, 1972
Vektor - Outer Isolation
Curren$y - Covert Coup

Divius

Started making an awesome post with covers, youtube videos and a countdown to my favorite album. Then my browser crashed and I wasted like 10 minutes for nothing.

fuck.this.shit.

#1 - James Blake - s/t

#2/#20 - A whole lot of other stuff.

Jake.

1. oneohtrix point never - replica.
2. asap rocky - livelovea$ap.
3. iceage - new brigade.
4. gang gang dance - eye contact.
5. ema - past life, martyred saints.
6. the men - leave home
7. main attrakionz - 808s & dark grapes II.
8. john maus - we must become the pitiless censors of ourselves.
9. htrk - work (work, work).
10. matana roberts - coin, coin - chapter 1.

K.Sabot

Started making an awesome post with covers, youtube videos and a countdown to my favorite album. Then my browser crashed and I wasted like 10 minutes for nothing.

fuck.this.shit.

Yeah, that happened to my list last year, so I went fuckit and just posted some album art.

#1:
Stratovariuscollector.jpg

Stratovarius' Elysium, an incredibly surprising album, nothing has really topped this since it came out in January and it's the successor to one of the greatest comeback albums I've listened to (Polaris).

If you don't like Stratovarius, I'd recommend giving this a listen. Ever since guitarist Timo Tolkki left the band and (legally) stole their 2008 work in progress comeback album (Revolution Renaissance) they ended up completely making a U-Turn with Polaris, possibly one of the greatest albums to be released by the band. And this successor completely blows away all expectations. It's hard to say that getting close to their 30th Anniversary and now with a completely different lineup Stratovarius are possibly the strongest they have ever been.

Favorite Tracks: Darkest Hours, Elysium, Infernal Maze and Under Flaming Skies

#2:
Journey-Eclipse.jpg

Journey's Eclipse:

Eclipse was a surprise to me, I haven't listened to Journey in YEARS and I picked this up back when I wanted more music to listen to while I was working on my coursework in the sixth form block. I ended up listening to one of my favorite albums of all time, Arnel Pineda's amazing vocals completely make me forget about Steve Perry.

Favorite Tracks: Ritual, Human Feel, City of Hope and To Whom it May Concern + Venus (Outro)

Edguy-Age_of_The_Joker.jpg

Edguy's Age of the Joker:

I've absolutely loved Edguy through the times where they pretty much changed style to a Rock Band with Rocket Ride and Tinnitus Sanctus (still amazing albums, screw the haters) but this album pretty much sums up the bands career amazingly. It's probably one of the best in their discography since Rocket Ride or Hellfire Club.

The album seems to successfully blend together many different kinds of genre per song (think Helloween's Chameleon but with greater fan reaction and not THAT different from the original stuff) if you don't like Edguy already, this isn't going to change your views but for fans this is a treat.

Favorite Tracks: Robin Hood, Rock of Cashel, The Arcane Guild, Two out of Seven and Behind the Gates of the Midnight World

Honorable Mention:

Dream Theater's A Dramatic Turn of Events:
ad4014.png

I honestly thought Awake or Black Clouds and Silver Linings was my favorite Dream Theater album. But honestly, this album keeps blowing me away. Not kidding. I can't really give a space as I haven't listened to it enough (only heard it on YouTube) and I *really* need to get around to buying it.

Favorite Tracks: On the Backs of Angels, Bridges in the Sky, Outcry and Breaking all Illusions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom