Your Favourite Video Game Ads

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
These Game Boy Advance SP adverts:

What makes it memorable for me is that it is so un-Nintendo. You'd expect an advert like this from PS2-era Sony, but from the makers of Mario? Do Nintendo's young fans know what the first best thing to do in the dark is?
It was a complete 180 on Nintendo's “kid” image.

Last edited:

bhunachicken

Apr 11, 2018
UK gamers (and some others) will be familiar with The Sun's Page 3 girl: basically, a young woman on page 3 of the newspaper who is topless. It's the first thing you'll see when you open the newspaper, due to the way the pages turns. It was a staple of The Sun newspaper for decades.

Sony bought ad space on pages 2 and 3 of the newspaper to do this:

That was f cking genius. It actually made headlines in OTHER newspapers as a result..!

Gashtronomy

Apr 19, 2019
My favourite ads is the red dot sight in COD/Apex. :p

The Sun newspaper page 3 is the best piece of gaming marketing in recent memory.

molasar

Jun 20, 2018
UK gamers (and some others) will be familiar with The Sun's Page 3 girl: basically, a young woman on page 3 of the newspaper who is topless. It's the first thing you'll see when you open the newspaper, due to the way the pages turns. It was a staple of The Sun newspaper for decades.

Sony bought ad space on pages 2 and 3 of the newspaper to do this:

That was f cking genius. It actually made headlines in OTHER newspapers as a result..!
An article about it from www.campaignlive.co.uk .

"The Sun’s commercial team made history last week when they sold the tabloid’s page three for the first time in its 49-year history. It was sold as part of a double-page spread for the Sony PlayStation 4 in a deal brokered by Manning Gottlieb OMD. The ad is a cheeky apology to the model Rosie, 22, from Middlesex – who had to make do with page five."

Source: https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/things-like-sony-takes-suns-page-three/1223620

Reactions: bhunachicken

Kazza

Gold Member
Oct 6, 2018
I'm not a particularly nostalgic person, but I'm really glad I got to experience the 90s.

Reactions: Nymphae

kingbean

Jun 27, 2016
Jesus those ads would NEVER fly today.

I love them and hate them at the same time. The absurdity is amazing.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Gold Member
Sep 4, 2018
lol that first ad was literally the first thing on my mind. as a 90s kid who collected videogames magazines you best believe i held onto that one ;-)

damn that Sonic 2 ad with.... is that testicle cleavage???? WTF???

not sexy or retro but i do really like this funny Metal Gear Rising ad spot:

Last edited:

Nymphae

Jun 3, 2013
Canada
I was rewatching the 90's tv ads for FF7 this week, got me so hyped to play it back in the day. I love the VO dude's voice.

The Crash ads were fun

Reactions: Bullet Club

Waiverine

Neo Member
Nov 19, 2018
The Winning Eleven anniversary advert hits me right in my nostalgia every time. And I don't even understand Japanese.

Havoc2049

Mar 30, 2011
Southern California
SNK had some pretty good NGPC ads.

The Halo series had a bunch of amazing trailers, but as far as commercials go, the Starry Night commercial is my fav.

The Halo 3 ODST Sgt. Johnson Commercial