• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your G(Podcast)OTY ? [2012] (Voting ends Friday 12am PST)

Gomu Gomu

The year is almost done. So in your opinion, what was the best gaming podcast in 2012? And if possible, why?

My GPOTY:
VFmaP.jpg

http://www.idlethumbs.net/idlethumbs
GAF Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=487143

Hosted by Chris, boost, Remo. And the multiple GOTY award winners Jake, Video games, Rodkin & Sean, famous, Vanaman.

Idle Thumbs is a podcast - about video games! Running since 2008, Idle Thumbs is currently a weekly podcast in which three friends who work in the industry talk about games, things tangentially related to games, and things not at all related to games. Readers can expect in-depth enthusiastic discussions, equally enthusiastic riffs on tangential silliness, and anything in between.

I'm gonna be honest, as much I was excited about the success of their Kickstarter and the fact that the weekly podcast were returning, I was very worried that the quality would take a hit for whatever reason. But boy was I wrong.
Every episode since their return has been beyond amazing. Seriously, listening to the one and a half hour they produce is the highlight of my weeks. Some of the new episodes are even better than the ones from their first era.
No other podcast even comes close to the high level of intelligent discussions about games, their design, and the gaming industry in general. Yet at the same time no other podcast is as silly and as funny as this one is. It's the perfect mix of genuinely interesting and thoughtful video game discussions and stupid fun.

That's why it's my pick as the best gaming podcast this year. And, idlethumbs, please keep casting those pods forever and after.

Runner ups:
- Player one Podcast: I stopped listening to the POP for the first half of this year. I remember one of their original 4 cast members has left the show, and I thought the magic was lost with the only remaining three. And I thought "welp, that's it for this podcast". But sometime later, I decided to listen again, see what I'm missing. And to my surprise, there was this mysterious new fourth member. His name was Mike, and it only took me a couple of episodes to decide on this fact: Adding Mike as regular fourth cast member was the best thing to happen to this podcast. Holy shit, is this guy perfect for POP. He super funny, smart, and has amazing taste in gaming. And his style goes well with the format of the show. POP is more enjoyable than ever. The new four are such a delight to listen to.
Also, it helps that I was so lucky to witness an era in the podcast, that will forever be known as the "daddy cast" era. Being new daddies, there were weeks when all of them were talking about fatherhood, and being a father, whose a gamer and podcaster. Many didn't like this era. Not me though, I quite enjoyed all of the daddy casts. So yeah, 2012 has been good to POP.

- 8-4 Play: The one and only, best, biggest, awesomest podcast about Japan and Japanese gaming. 8-4 Play were amazing in 2012. From covering TGS events, to the PS Vita launch, to the Nintendo Direct reporting to their mega retrospective of the SNES, and everything in between. 8-4 Play did a great job covering the Japanese side of this industry. Oh, also, JJ.

- This Year: It might be a cheat, since this isn't original content. But the This Year crew did fantastic job in 2012, recapping the best moments of our most favorite podcasts. They did: The Hotspot, GFW Radio, Bombcast, Idlethumbs (original run) and 1UP Yours. These are huge podcasts, ranging from 4 to 8 hours per show per year. Amazing effort, and you guys deserve to be recognized for it more.

zroid

Banned
My podcast rotation went through some major changes this year, and I'd say the one I've most taken to is 8-4 Play. It's always a fun listen.

Honourable mentions to:
Radio Free Nintendo, Podtoid, Giant Bombcast

I'm going to start listening to RSG in 2013 so perhaps that'll be my GPOTY next year :)

newjeruse

The Bombcast is consistently great, but it had a historically good run of 4 or 5 straight episodes during the summer. It was like watching Ted Williams in his prime.

K.Sabot

Let's just get this out of the way: Giant Bombcast.

Their uninhibited discussion of the current state of games journalism sealed it.

I didn't hear stuff like that on other gaming podcasts.

braves01

Banned
8-4 Play, with Giant Bomb as the runner-up.

I actually stopped listening to Weekend Confirmed entirely this year :(

I like Idle Thumbs when they stick to games, but it often devolves into the three of them laughing hysterically at elaborate inside jokes, which I'm sure are very funny in the room, but don't really work on a podcast. I'll take Giant Bomb over Idle Thumbs any day of the week.

Dantis

The now defunct GamesRadar UK Podcast (Previously TalkRadar UK).

a51cb0a4382831845ac32a4999b3e343ae01e931.jpg__620x250_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

The only podcast that I could consistently listen to and enjoy. Always came across as nice, funny guys. I can literally skip to any moment in a podcast, and someone will be saying something funny. Rarely actually inciteful (Though occasionally!), but always, always, always entertaining.

It also had good physics.

Riposte

RedSunGamer, followed by 3 Moves Ahead.

RSG was on an amazing streak up until recently. Putting out 3-4+ hour shows, every week, out of sheer amateur passion. Hope they get back to that. I really like it when they spend nearly an hour talking about a game(like they did for games like Catherine and Vanquish), they never go up their own ass (which I guess isn't always a bad thing) like most podcasts do when they sit down with a game for that long. Just good, honest videogame chatting. (When they switched to skype and then picked up a lot of new members (basically a rotation of 6 at this point lol) I was worried it would suffer, but they handled the transition well.)

Gomu Gomu

Giant Bombcast was my most favorite over the past years. However, this year the podcast is nowhere near as fun as it used to be. I don't really know why, but I found myself being more and more bored. First I started skipping forward some parts. Later I just didn't care to finish them. And recently I found myself missing entire episodes, and not care to catch up on them. Mind you, I've never missed an episode last year and the year before that. But I don't know. Anyway, the podcast still had it's amazing moments this year. And some episodes were very entertaining and fun as usual.
it had a historically good run of 4 or 5 straight episodes during the summer
Those were the highlight of the year, without a doubt.

Me too. Also, I stopped listening to Retronauts, RFN and whatever the new flagship 1UP podcast.

Every other month or so I'll give WC another shot (as I've listened to a couple of great episodes they've done), but I just can't keep up with it.

I don't know if its just that they have too wildly different opinions on games compared to me, or if I just don't like the show dynamic. It's a shame because I loved Garnett on 1up. But I think that was because he had such other great guys to act as a foil for him.

Juken

Player One Podcast is my G(Podcast)OTY followed by 8-4, Radio Free Nintendo, and Weekend Confirmed.

I also enjoy the Bombcast when they're actually talking about games (can't wait for their GOTY podcasts this year). In an ideal world they'd release an edited version where I don't have to hear about sandwiches and matresses.

Pajamas

Radio Free Nintendo, Giant Bombcast, Player One Podcast, 8-4 Play. Kinda getting tired of Weekend Confirmed and all the IGN podcasts have kinda gone to crap.

Jex

The Idle Thumbs Podcast, hands down. Their ability to clearly and quickly discuss game mechanics and ideas is perhaps the best feature of their podcast. Their discussions could end up being very dry or overly academic if it wasn't for the fact that the personalities of the cast members ensure that would never happen. The secret best part of their podcass are how effectively edited they are - all the fat appears to have been trimmed of in post production leaving only the most interesting parts of their debates, rather than other podcasts which run on for hours talking about nothing in particular or just talking in circles. In non-podcast work their Twitch developer streams are really fascinating.

From time to time people complain about the inclusive nature of some of their in-jokes but that's part of their charm that's helped them build such a devoted community. I actually think they've really toned that side of the cast down since their return, anyway.

Three Moves Ahead is easily the second best gaming podcast in existence and I hope it gets a number of mentions in here. Few other podcasts, besides the aforementioned Idle Thumbs, really deal with discussing a games mechanics in fine detail. Unlikely nearly every other podcast they tend to only focus on one idea or game per episodes, which makes the ensuing discussion that much cleaner.

I really like 8-4 Play as well because they provide and interesting perspective on Japanese games in particular and they have some fairly well reasoned discussions without descending into shouting matches (unless the Gameboy is involved, of course). I really like WAHP because they go so insanely deep into specific games and ideas but they don't really podcast that regularly (unfortunately).

I've been enjoying the Bombcast as well recently, but their podcasts are rather too long for my liking. It doesn't help that I only really find Patrick and Brad to be interesting members of the cast.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Three Moves Ahead was my favourite of the year.

The podcast doesn't have much humour or in-jokeiness, but it consistently has the best, most intelligent analysis of games and game design (OP, it's far above Idle Thumbs in this regard). It's mostly focused on strategy games, but there have been forays into other genres.

Tom Chick haters should also listen to the 3MAs where he's a guest. His insights are often brilliant.

It's a toss up between Idle Thumbs and the Bombcast. Both strike a cord with me. Remo and those GOTY people have the slight edge at the moment.

Riposte

Three Moves Ahead was my favourite of the year.

The podcast doesn't have much humour or in-jokeiness, but it consistently has the best, most intelligent analysis of games and game design (OP, it's far above Idle Thumbs in this regard). It's mostly focused on strategy games, but there have been forays into other genres.

Tom Chick haters should also listen to the 3MAs where he's a guest. His insights are often brilliant.

Yes, while he seems to troll in his reviews, he is always fun to listen to on 3MA.

Pajamas

the only IGN podcast I still follow is NVC :\

I was losing interest in that too, but their recent format change to streaming gameplay while podcasting rekindled it somewhat.

That's pretty much what killed it for me. I do a lot of driving for work, so having a podcast that has a visual element involved doesn't work for me.

1st - Bombcast - their discussion of "Doritosgate" and "gaming journalism" was refreshing. As weas their recent discussion around Mass Effect 3. They're always funny and entertaining but it's easy to forget sometimes that they really do know what they're talking about.

2nd - Idle Thumbs - Smart, entertaining discussions although not as hilarious as they were before their hiatus. They see/play/come at games from an angle that I don't always understand but I usually come away from their discussions more informed.

3rd - 8-4 Play - GameJesus! 'Nuff Said. John Ricciardi helps but...Game Jesus!

Juken

Never listened to RSG but after seeing it appear so much here gonna give it a shot

Every other month or so I'll give WC another shot (as I've listened to a couple of great episodes they've done), but I just can't keep up with it.

I don't know if its just that they have too wildly different opinions on games compared to me, or if I just don't like the show dynamic. It's a shame because I loved Garnett on 1up. But I think that was because he had such other great guys to act as a foil for him.

I find it's refreshing to hear them talk about this stuff from such a different perspective

No_Style

For me? Giant Bombcast. No contest.

There are no runner ups for me. I tried to get back into 8-4 Play after their union with GB but...no.

Idle Thumbs. I'm glad they're back

An unpopular pick here but I've enjoyed Author and Anthony a lot more this year in Rebel FM than in past year. Matt, who used to be my favorite, has really gotten on my nerves lately with his sweeping statements.

solarus

Bombcast no.1 by far, always has great discussions, cast is funny and likeable and I live that they don't treat any game specially, even if it's some huge aaa release if none of them are feeling it it'll get trashed just like any other release and shrugged off at the goty podcasts, there are no sacred cows. Also jeff shitting all over nights alone makes bombcast the GOAT forever, it would make many a japanophile fanboy gaffer weep in sadness.

You guys introduced to a few good ones, including the magnificent Insert Credit. I don't know if it's the best, but I think it's even funnier that the Bombcast.

Riposte

Bombcast no.1 by far, always has great discussions, cast is funny and likeable and I live that they don't treat any game specially, even if it's some huge aaa release if none of them are feeling it it'll get trashed just like any other release and shrugged off at the goty podcasts, there are no sacred cows. Also jeff shitting all over nights alone makes bombcast the GOAT forever, it would make many a japanophile fanboy gaffer weep in sadness.

But then I'm sure he cheers those crazy japanophiles up by showing his love for Persona 4, the game about anime Japanese school kids doing JRPG shit?

zroid

Banned
Adding P1P to my 2013 lineup >_>

Somehow I tried listening to Idle Thumbs a few months ago but couldn't get into it.

Ardvent

V9N7B.jpg

Comedian Kumail Nanjiani and his wife Emily Gordon discuss what their current games our with comedian friends and celebrity guests. The most recent episode is a sit down with "supercouple" Edmund and Danielle McMillen (Emily's favorite game has been Binding of Issac). It's a brand new (to 2012) podcast produced by Nerdist Industries spawning from their web series of the same name.

I had saw it suggested elsewhere online in a thread about gaming podcasts and no one had anything else to say about it! It has easily become my favorite podcast due to it's humor and topics of discussion.

It's the giant bombcast. All day. Every day. The 8-4 cast bitches and argues like high school kids every episode. Shit's annoying.

The only time they're worth listening to is when they have a good guest, like the one with Jake Kazdal and his SNES story.

solarus

But then I'm sure he cheers those crazy japanophiles up by showing his love for Persona 4, the game about anime Japanese school kids doing JRPG shit?
A lot of gaf instantly thinks more highly of a game if its from a jap studio, even if its generic, than if a western studio developed a similar quality game but that's besides the point of I never meant that anyway, I'm not saying the bombcast hates japanese games or that I hate them either. Persona 4 Is awesome. I'm giving nights as an example that is seen as a sacred cow by a lot of people, despite it being terrible imo so Jeff ripping on it is hilarious.

Top 5

1. Giant Bombcast

Easily the most entertainment I've derived from a podcast this year.

2. 8-4 Play

A great collection of personalities, opinions, and guests. Always giving GAF shoutouts too.

3. Idle Thumbs

Back from the grave and as good as ever.

4. Weekend Confirmed

I'm a long time 1Up Yours listener, so I have more opinions on this than any other podcast here probably. They struggled throughout most of the year IMO, and they still have their critics, but when 2Ns1T is on and Garnett is hosting it's on point. The big wildcard is always who is on outside of that. I think Spicer appearances need to be more frequent.

5. Gamers With Jobs

A fresher PC-centric look that I appreciate. Expands my horizons in games.

Honorable Mentions

Player One Podcast

I started listening less frequently to this one this year, but have listened more in recent months. Mike is a good 4th and really brings a lot to the 'cast.

Red Sun Gamer

I just started listening this year and I really enjoy it a lot.

CAGCast

Sometimes I just don't like the show while at other times it's awesome.

WAHP

This would be higher if they recorded more :(

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I regularly listen to CAGcast, The Cruncheons, Weekend Confirmed, Bombcast and 8-4 play. I think they all have the strengths and weaknesses, ups and downs. So, one of those.

1. Idle Thumbs
2. 8-4 play

honourable mention.
Insert Credit, if you can get over Tim Rogers' egotism they tend to talk good.
One Life Left, 'cause nobody on GAF gives them a chance.

Top Bottom