• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your G(Podcast)OTY ? [2012] (Voting ends Friday 12am PST)

polg

1. 8-4 play
These guys are epic, funny, have great guests and don't take themselves too seriously. I wish they were on more often.

2. The Besties
This podcast needs more love. It's basically a comedy show about video games, nothing too serious and not afraid to make fun of the industry and themselves.

3. WAHP
This podcast is a bit of an acquired taste. Not out often but when it's out it's awesome.

Two podcast I can't believe still go on
Bombcast: tried to get into it several times and they talk about beer and food for too long before getting into any shallow video game talk

Weekend confirmed: I loved Garnett, but this turned into 45 minutes of forza talk followed by 30 minutes of gears talk followed by 40 of halo talk.

KalBalboa

Banned
1. Weekend Confirmed
2. Podcast Beyond
3. Giant Bomb
4. Blogcast

Dropped Indoor Kids like a bad habit this year. That show peaked incredibly early when Dan Harmon came on. Shortly afterward it became little more than two people talking up their personal lives & careers with some minor casual gaming discussion in between.

dc89

1. Player One Podcast - it's the first gaming podcast I listened to after asking GAF for some podcast recommendations. I feel all the hosts are relatable to, I like the humour and the chit chat. Even the baby stuff :p

Runners up:

2. Giant Bomb Cast
3. 8-4 Play
4. Insert Credit
5. Radio Free Nintendo

All are great! And I'm always listening to them on my iPod Classic!!

1) Idle thumbs - in-depth, informed, but sometimes 2 try-hard
2) Giant Bombcast - funny, usually on target
3) Weekend conf - lively but sometimes 2 mainstream
4) Player 1 - occasionally hilarious sometimes bored

mik

mik is unbeatable
The predictability of the "big" podcasts kinda bums me out sometimes--especially since I listen to all of them. On any given week, I feel like I can predict with uncanny accuracy not only what they'll talk about, but what their impressions will be of every game, news story, etc.

For that reason, I tend to favor the wholly unprofessional, often less-informed, but unpredictable wild wild west of independent/amateur gaming podcasts. For anyone looking to augment their weekly podcast lineup, I'd recommend just trying out one random show a week that you've never heard of. Give it a chance and, by month's end, you'll probably have a new podcast in your rotation.

mujun

The predictability of the "big" podcasts kinda bums me out sometimes--especially since I listen to all of them. On any given week, I feel like I can predict with uncanny accuracy not only what they'll talk about, but what their impressions will be of every game, news story, etc.

For that reason, I tend to favor the wholly unprofessional, often less-informed, but unpredictable wild wild west of independent/amateur gaming podcasts. For anyone looking to augment their weekly podcast lineup, I'd recommend just trying out one random show a week that you've never heard of. Give it a chance and, by month's end, you'll probably have a new podcast in your rotation.

Maybe there is a correlation between listening every week and knowing how they'll feel about stuff?

canedaddy

Playstation Blogcast - For the first word on upcoming PSN releases, solid interviews with industry folks, and Nick Suttner. Refreshing for its lack of bitter cynicism (see below).

Giant Bombcast - Fun and entertaining as long as they're not talking about games, which most of them don't seem to like anymore. Seems like every new release gets picked apart and nitpicked to death. In some cases they're right, sure, but the relentless negativity can be a drag.

BYOT - I like Shoe and his assortment of guests, and this format is a nice break from all the other shows. I just wish the sound quality were better... it's like they're all inside oil drums in separate submarines.

Weekend Confirmed - Nothing special but a good all-around show with a fairly likable crew.

1. The Bombcast - Oh sure, the podcast is fantastic in its own right, but what I really love is the GAF threads. The memes, the gifs, the bitching, the praise... I love it all. Each week I'll listen to the bombcast and then get to experience it all over again on GAF.

2. Player One Podcast - The only podcast I regularly make an effort to listen to live just because I can't wait. If P1P isn't up Monday morning my entire week gets thrown off.

3. Red Sun Gamer - Forget 8-4, RSG is the secret best Japanese gaming podcast. I love all the non-game stuff just as much (probably more so) than any gaming talk. All the tidbits and stories about Japan make this podcast unique. Plus, British accents make any podcast better and RSG is bursting with them.

Honorable Mentions:

PSNStores Podcast - I've been listening since the beginning. I'm not sure why, but the dumb inside jokes get me every time. This is probably a hard podcast to break into now, but its definitely worth the effort. Plus, I can't help but laugh with BTrain's bitter tears about being permed from GAF :lol

The Comedy Button - The GFW reunion show was the secret best podcast episode this year. I hope they do another in 2013.

/Alltalk Podcast - The variety of topics discussed keeps the podcast fresh each week. Everything from games to movies to anime to tv to darfox gets covered at some point.

The Cruncheons - Some of the best hate and trolling available anywhere online.

Torgo

I've listened since 2009 and it's the one gaming podcast that doesn't get's all noisy and screamy of the ones i listen to. They do reviews, previews, interviews, news and random tangens. I love 'em.

My podcast of the year goes to PSNation Podcast.

Looking forward to ep300, Torgo!

WOOT!! Setting up the call-in number tonight!!

eot

Banned
1. Idle Thumbs - it might've overtaken GFW as my favourite podcast.
2. Bombcast - I think it's trending down in terms of my enjoyment but I still look forward to it every week
3. PCG UK podcast - it's a bit irregular so I don't keep up with it, but when I do listen to it I enjoy it a lot

kassatsu

Banned
Honorable Mentions:

PSNStores Podcast - I've been listening since the beginning. I'm not sure why, but the dumb inside jokes get me every time. This is probably a hard podcast to break into now, but its definitely worth the effort. Plus, I can't help but laugh with BTrain's bitter tears about being permed from GAF :lol

#1 podcast for PSN news and General Hospital.

We try to keep the inside jokes to a minimum but it is kinda hard when it is 3 close friends talking bout games. =(

Top Bottom