• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your G(Podcast)OTY ? [2012] (Voting ends Friday 12am PST)

kliklik

Banned
The Besties.

I've tried multiple times to get into the Giant Bombcast. I just can't. They drone on for so long about random stuff and food. The only thing I can do effectively while listening is fall asleep. For a while, I thought the overwhelming love for it here on gaf was everyone being ironic.

If anyone out there who doesn't really care for the giant bombcast wants to give me a recommendation, I'm all ears. I'm not really into nostalgia trips about old consoles either.

The ones I listen to every week:

Giant Bombcast
Game|Life
8-4 Play
Weekend Confirmed

...and all my homeboys:
NWR Radio Trivia: Podcast Edition
NWR Connectivity
Nintendo Free Radio

...and I actually listen to and love my own show:
Radio Free Nintendo (thanks to everyone else who mentioned it!)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The Besties.

I've tried multiple times to get into the Giant Bombcast. I just can't. They drone on for so long about random stuff and food. The only thing I can do effectively while listening is fall asleep. For a while, I thought the overwhelming love for it here on gaf was everyone being ironic.

If anyone out there who doesn't really care for the giant bombcast wants to give me a recommendation, I'm all ears. I'm not really into nostalgia trips about old consoles either.

I care about the bombcast, but try the idle thumbs. They do really in-depth game analysis in 1 hour- 1 1/2 hour and mostly stick to game talk with a few in-jokes here and there.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
PC Gamer podcasts, both UK and US editions. Both very relevant to my interests.

Three Moves Ahead is pure quality as well.

Is the PC Gamer podcast still worth listening to? I don't think any of the original staff from four years ago are still around nowadays. Even Logan doesn't bother.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The only podcast I really listen to is weekend confirmed. And even then it is on, and off. So that gets my vote.

Don't mean to go offtopic, but what is the best pc-centric podcast out there?

TJP

The now defunct GamesRadar UK Podcast (Previously TalkRadar UK).
Well played Sir. Excellent podcast and Matt Cundy was always hilarious. Hopefully the GRUK podcast comes back soon.

2. Xbox World 360 Strongcast: always interesting and often had topics about PS3 and PC gaming plus inside jokes such as 'loggerman' and a segment where strange food was being eaten. Pity it's another UK podcast being shelved along with the magazine.

3. IGN UK podcast: usually quite funny and contains a wide range of topics.

Riposte

1. 8-4 Play
2. Giant Bombcast
3. Weekend Confirmed

And that's it.

Are gaming podcasts a dying medium, or will they regain momentum when the next generation begins? Very disappointing.

Are saying this after looking around? Your list is just the three most well known podcasts on GAF.

Vinnk

Well I am one of the hosts for the Retro game/Japanese game podcast "Famicom Dojo" so I am honor bound to choose it.

But for ones I listen to. It's mainly 8-4 Play and topical episodes of other podcast when they are recommended to me.

joe1138

Best: Bombcast

Runner up: This Is Only a Test

Honorary mention: All Gen Gamers

All Gen Gamers is the definition of enthusiast press. The crew's fanboy gushing and unbridled enthusiasm for gaming is a nice change of pace from the more jaded views of industry professionals I typically read or listen to. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but I look forward to every new episode.

Pappasman

mega64liveban.jpg

The Mega64 podcast is by far my favorite podcast. Its live streamed every Sunday at 7 on Twitch.tv, video and audio versions are uploaded the following Tuesday. Part of what makes this podcast so great is that after the normal podcast is done, they start the "after show" where they keep streaming for a couple hours taking skype calls from viewers and hanging out.

Rocco's Super Mario Sunshine Story

joe1138

I would like this one a lot more if it wasn't for Will Smith. His attitude toward everything just... rubs me the wrong way.

To each his or her own. I can't get enough of Smith and his back and forth with Norm and Gary (when he makes appearances).

Fantastical

Death Prophet
mega64liveban.jpg

The Mega64 podcast is by far my favorite podcast. Its live streamed every Sunday at 7 on Twitch.tv, video and audio versions are uploaded the following Tuesday. Part of what makes this podcast so great is that after the normal podcast is done, they start the "after show" where they keep streaming for a couple hours taking skype calls from viewers and hanging out.

I love this podcast, love the crew, but it annoys me when they complain about stuff so much like comments on their YouTube videos and complaints from customers. I always hate it when it sounds like they are about to talk about that stuff.

I do love the podcast as a whole though and get excited when I see there's a new episode. Christmascast! :D

JBuccCP

1. Idle Thumbs. I've liked them even better since they've come back and seem more focused.
1a. Bombcast. Consistently funny and usually 3 hours +. Perfect for wasting time at work.
2. Player One. More tame than the first two but still funny With a more relaxed feel. Focuses more on the games with less off topic stuff which is nice sometimes.
3. Weekend Confirmed. Kind of a guilty pleasure. Really inconsistent depending on the guest or how drunk they are.
4. Gamers with Jobs. Don't really listen much anymore but still seems solid when I do. They also have Shawn Elliot on occasionally.

That's about all I listen to now.

amardilo

I listen to a lot of gaming podcasts but my favourite podcast for the past few years has been the Giant Bombcast.

If it's a top 5 or 10 (or whatever) it gets a lot harder to decide what those would be as there are a lot of good podcasts out there just dedicated to gaming. If it is a top 5 (gaming only podcasts) for 2012 I would go for:

1. Giant Bombcast
  2. 8-4 Play
  3. Player One Podcast
  4. Rebel FM
  5. CAGcast

Katsuragi

Radio Free Nintendo is criminally underrated and has been my favorite podcast for many years. If you're interested in intelligent and entertaining discussion about all things Nintendo, you should definitely give it a listen.

Soulhouf

RedSunGamer without any fucking doubt. The only podcast that can compete with is Warning Huge Podcat but unfortunately it's dead :(

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'll go with Red Sun Gamer - I haven't been listening to podcasts until 2012 but when I started it was the only one I actually liked. Tried a few other ones - 8-4, EXPFULL and a few random Japanese high-ranked podcasts from iTunes but every one of them got annoying after the first 10+ minutes.

shira

Troll picks
847208003_0d0b773e26.jpg

1. Gamescoop
18127916189_q3hXF.jpg

2. Podcast Beyond

Almost every game podcast is stealing the 1up yours formula of jokey 30-40 year old white males with game journalism "experience" read neogaf headlines for 1-3 hours.

The only slightly interesting podcasts are 8-4 with Hiroko chatter or Weekend Confirmed with female guests or Andrew Yoon.

mega64liveban.jpg

Need to get back into them and Idle Thumbs.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
1. The Idle Thumbs the podcast
2. Player one podcast

No honorable mentions.

8-4 Play
Weekend Confirmed

Giant bombcast.

Started listening to the bombcast this year and I like the crew, their integrity, humor but a lot of the times I cannot find my self agreeing with Jeff G's opinions. I met him at e3 and he's awesome guy to talk to(Hell it's e3, he probably had tons of meetings to get to, took 5 mins of his time to talk to me). So I still listen to it every week.

McCloud?

1. Idle Thumbs
  2. Player One
  3. The Squadron of Shame (despite the fact they released maybe two episodes this year—I'm still excited whenever there is a new one)
  4. Weekend Confirmed

Only got into the Giant Bombcast this time last year and now it's number 1 on my rotation. Always willing to give new shows a go too, so will definitely be checking out some of the others listed here.

I've just given Insert Credit a go with the always enjoyable Frank Cifaldi so that sneaks in at 5.

Also it's not really a podcast, more a YouTube Show, but am currently enjoying The Game Chasers (kind of American Pickers for retro games).

As it stands:

1. Bombcast
2. Retronaughts
3. Besties
4. Games Dammit
5. Insert Credit

faridmon

The only two gaming podcasts I listen to are Ginatbombcast and WAHP. the latter is just... yeah. I love it when they release it. The problem is releasing it...

Top Bottom