• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your G(Podcast)OTY ? [2012] (Voting ends Friday 12am PST)

Your favourite?

i5uKlQLDBSCPU.gif

Knocked the fuck out. Idle Thumbs > everything.

yes I recognise the irony of this .gif coming from a Giant Bomb video

El Sloth

Banned
Guess I'll check out Three Moves Ahead finally. Long time listeners, do you recommend I start from the very beginning or is it fine If I just jump right in the last episodes?

Jex

Guess I'll check out Three Moves Ahead finally. Long time listeners, do you recommend I start from the very beginning or is it fine If I just jump right in the last episodes?

You can just hit up the latest episode and go from there. I recommend go back and listening to their older shows when you have the ability as most of them are fairly timeless. Focusing solely on games, and not news and the like, gives the the episodes a pretty good shelf life.

El Sloth

Banned
You can just hit up the latest episode and go from there. I recommend go back and listening to their older shows when you have the ability as most of them are fairly timeless.
Alright, I'll do just that then. Thanks.
Focusing solely on games, and not news and the like, gives the the episodes a pretty good shelf life.
Sounds similar to Idle Thumbs in that regard.

Jintor

I just don't find myself interested in a lot of the things TMA talks about and their discussion is always super stilted since they don't cast in the same room or something

SmokinDan

Bombcast as always.

I've really enjoyed the Besties this year, too, although I think the format holds them back. I'd rather just here them talk about what they've been playing than restrict themselves. And inevitably someone puts forward a shitty iPhone game. I also just ignore Polygon totally.

oipic

PC Gamer podcasts, both UK and US editions. Both very relevant to my interests.

Three Moves Ahead is pure quality as well.

Oyashiro

I want to get into podcasts because GAF raves about them so much, but I just dont understand how you guys can listen to these guys ramble about games for quite literally 3 hours.

castlegar

I want to get into podcasts because GAF raves about them so much, but I just dont understand how you guys can listen to these guys ramble about games for quite literally 3 hours.

Find something you can do while listening to them. I go running or play a multiplayer game. It'll be much harder to get into them if you just straight-on listen.

AColdDay

1. CAG Cast
2. Bombcast
3. 8-4 Play

When will we get another A Life Well Wasted?! :(

Also, if we could recommend non-gaming podcast, I would nominate How Did This Get Made? above everything else!

I've really been wanting to find a new gaming podcast to listen to, so I'm giving Idle Thumbs a go. Enjoying it so far! Previously I listened to SEGA Nerds podcast (many years ago) and Warning: A Huge Podcast (but I grew a little tired of hearing only about the Japanese gaming industry, not that the podcast is bad or anything!) I'm thinking of giving Giant Bombcast a go, but I feel like I can only listen to one podcast at a time! I'll see how long Idle Thumbs keeps me listening for!

JABEE

Brodeo.... :(

Still the undefeated heavy-weight champion of the world. I listen to reruns instead of podcasts made today. They are still incredible, even though the games they sometimes talk about are old.

Right now, I like the Bombcast and Tested. 8-4 Play is cool too.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Neither. Pick an episode on a topic you're interested in, preferably with Tom Chick as a guest.

ArjanN

Yeah Bomb cast generally hated the horrible characters, didn't that stop the game being perfect for them? So...uhm...yeah.....

They never said the game was perfect, and a 5 star review doesn't mean a game is perfect either.

Also, I think the point is that you're supposed to hate the Far Cry 3 characters, which I'm not sure the Weekend Confirmed guys really got.

1.) GiantBombcast - Informative and Hilarious! The only podcast I refuse to miss every week. Can't wait for their 10+ hour end of the year discussion.

2.) Weekend Confirmed - Still good, needs more Nicole on... and I like it when they get wasted. 2011's Thanksgiving week podcast is still my favorite podcast of all time.

3.) Idle Thumbs - Just started listening to this, looking forward to more next year.

I'm very new to listening to PodCasts, started earlier this year.

The two PodCasts that I frequently listen to are:

1) 8-4Play
2) Vic's Basement.

VB is a PodCast created by Victor Lucas and Scott Jones in Vancouver, Canada - they are also on the TV shows Reviews on the Run and Electric Playground. http://epdaily.tv/vics-basement/

Thanks for this list. I'll definitely expand my PodCast listening to the ones recommended.

Gilgamesh

Winner: Idle Thumbs
Runner-up: 8-4 Play
Honorable mention: Three Moves Ahead

Idle Thumbs is untouchable. This podcast means the world to me. Chris, Jake, and Nick/Steve/Sean have truly changed the way I think about games and expanded my horizon of games I play.

8-4 Play is great in a completely different way by embracing the kind of player I was before I started listening to Idle Thumbs: Japanese console gaming 100%. Listening to 8-4 Play always feels like a good nostalgic trip.

Three Moves Ahead always offers great discussion, but I really can't stand RTS games, so I skip episodes focused on them.

Jomjom

Banned
I love RedSunGamer! It is definitely my number 1.

8-4 Play would come in at number 2 and CAGcast is a close number 3.

thebeeks

Banned
1. Bombcast
2. Idle Thumbs
3. 8-4 Play

I'd probably rate Thumbs higher, but I just started listening to them about a week ago. Hot damn that's a good podcast.

It's pretty easy when you have a dull office job.

MisterNoisy

Idle Thumbs, easily. A perfect mix of really smart conversation about games. game design/theory and complete nonsense. Also notable for being very PC-centric compared to pretty much everything else. Bombcast would be my second choice.

Giantbomb Enteprise raffles this POTY with equal and complementary winners 8-4 play and the Bombcast.
Honorable mentions to the CAGcast
I have quit on many occasions after wrongly timed Cheapy burps, but I always end up coming back :(

and Weekend Confirmed.

rexor0717

Just have to really state how happy I was when I heard Idle Thumbs was coming back. Its consistently been one of the highlights of my week.

Warning: A Huge Podcast wins the year even though they only put out a few episodes. It's just that good (and I dearly hope they'll get back on schedule soon). Their discussions are always great, and I've been exposed to so many new games because of them.

I also quite enjoy Bombcast, Red Sun Gamer, and 8-4 Play.

Anth0ny

8-4 Play is by far my favorite.

Bombcast second! All the retro game talk this year was fantastic, from Jeff's obsession with Turbografx to Ryan's ebay adventures. funny stuff.

Colasante

1. 8-4 Play
2. Giant Bombcast
3. Weekend Confirmed

And that's it.

Are gaming podcasts a dying medium, or will they regain momentum when the next generation begins? Very disappointing.

Player One Podcast, RFN, 8-4 Play, PlayerOnePodcast, RedSunGamer, Idle Thumbs and PlayerOnePodcast.

If they all put out podcasts every 2 or 3 days I would be a very happy man.

For tabulation purposes:
1) PlayerOnePodcast
2) RadioFreeNintendo
3) RedSunGamer
4) Idle Thumbs
5) 8-4 Play

legbone

1. Giant Bombcast
2. CAGcast
3. Idle Thumbs

In that order.

just started listening to CAGcast and Idle Thumbs this year. I enjoy both. The giant bomb guys are my favorite though. I've been listening to them for years.

1. Insert Credit Podcast

The Halloween Specdracular was an awesome episode. I appreciate that this podcast is about more than just rehashing news reviews and previews. The format is great, they've had some great guests, funny and interesting. You may have to have a slight tolerance for Tim Rogers, I'm generally a fan but he can still get annoying here even to me. Still gets my #1 spot.

2. Gameological Podcast

This podcast hasn't been mentioned yet so I'm guessing not many people know about it! Check it out: http://gameological.com/category/podcast/ Anything with Ellie Gibson is hilarious. Again (this might be a theme) this podcast gets high marks from me for having a bigger scope than just news/reviews/previews. The Olympics coverage was great, again Gibson is hilarious, any podcast that can make a review of a Facebook game by the host's mom entertaining is worth a listen.

3. 8-4 play

This podcast would be better to me if they went deeper on fewer topics. We already have the Bombcast for catch-all gaming news, 8-4 shouldn't worry about talking about Halo 4. As an example, the 8-4 episodes everyone loves are the ones where they take one topic, get some people who know their shit about it, and then just drill down deep for an hour or two.

V9N7B.jpg

Comedian Kumail Nanjiani and his wife Emily Gordon discuss what their current games our with comedian friends and celebrity guests. The most recent episode is a sit down with "supercouple" Edmund and Danielle McMillen (Emily's favorite game has been Binding of Issac). It's a brand new (to 2012) podcast produced by Nerdist Industries spawning from their web series of the same name.

I had saw it suggested elsewhere online in a thread about gaming podcasts and no one had anything else to say about it! It has easily become my favorite podcast due to it's humor and topics of discussion.

This is alright too.

Top Bottom