• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your G(Podcast)OTY ? [2012] (Voting ends Friday 12am PST)

waypoetic

Banned
I've listened since 2009 and it's the one gaming podcast that doesn't get's all noisy and screamy of the ones i listen to. They do reviews, previews, interviews, news and random tangens. I love 'em.

My podcast of the year goes to PSNation Podcast.

Looking forward to ep300, Torgo!

1. Bombcast
2. Gamers with Jobs (wish this got more love, I really enjoy them)
3. 8-4
4. Weekend Confirmed

From the look of the thread, I should check out Idle Thumbs.

Jarnet87

8-4 play.

I'd also like to take this time and bash 1up for their lack of effort and quality. Every year it gets worse it seems, and it really sucks considering they use to put out great stuff with retronauts and other podcasts consistently.

Wrekt

I've severely cut down on podcasts this year. I've tried listening to Player One, Gamers With Jobs and 8-4 but didn't stick with any of them. 8-4 were the closest to making the cut as they were actually good podcasters. I just don't enjoy modern Japanese games so I found it hard to care about what they were talking about.

The only two gaming podcasts I still listen to are the Giant Bombcast and Idle Thumbs. And even Idle Thumbs may be on the chopping block next. There is nothing else out there quite like them, but they are a little too in-depth for me these days. They spend more time analyzing these little flash games than I would have spent playing them in the first place. They still manage to be interesting, but like 8-4, I just don't think I fit their demographic any more.

So PotY goes to the Giant Bombcast.

NewFresh

Just started commuting to work again, so my podcast listening habits have increased drastically.

Right now I would rank them as follows:

1) 8-4 Play

I really enjoy their opinions and thoughts on Japanese gaming (And western gaming), as well as their personalities. They talk about a large amount of content that other shows simply ignore.

2) Bombcast
Incredibly funny and reeks of personality. The way that they all play off of each other is what makes it work.

3) Idlethumbs
Only just started listening a few episodes back, but already it has become a favorite. Their insider looks at the industry and intelligent conversation on ideas and not just news, make it interesting on a whole new level.

4) Weekend Confirmed
I Cannata get enough of Jeff.

GhaleonQ

There are lots of great ones and lots of pretty good ones, so I'll limit it to 3.

1. Player 1 Podcast
2. The Cruncheons
3. Insert Credit

2. Gameological Podcast

Oh, who are you on The Gameological Society?

(I'm glad that people are mentioning smaller ones like that, 1 Life Left, and 3 Moves Ahead.)

There are lots of great ones and lots of pretty good ones, so I'll limit it to 3.

1. Player 1 Podcast
2. The Cruncheons
3. Insert Credit

Oh, who are you on The Gameological Society?

(I'm glad that people are mentioning smaller ones like that, 1 Life Left, and 3 Moves Ahead.)

Disqus originally listed me by my real name but it should be the same as my name here now. Haven't posted that much.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
1. Idle Thumbs - I doubt I can add anything that hasn't been mentioned, but Idle Thumbs is pretty much my favorite podcast ever (with maybe an exception for CGW/GFW). They been more focused than usual since coming back and I am not entirely sure what I think about that yet. Either way, it is still the only podcast I listen to every week.

2. Watch Out For Fireballs! - I learned about this podcast from Something Awful (since the guys who run it are members there). It is sort of like a book club where they chose a single game and just focus the entire episode discussing it. I don't listen to every episode due to time, but I have enjoyed the ones when I have listened.

3. Giant Bombcast - I like the Bombcast for their crazy off topic discussion more than anything else. My taste in games is so different that their discussions don't really help me much, with the exception of Dave or Drew being on the cast.

Edit - I can't believe I forgot about Three Moves Ahead. I would put that at number 3, instead of Bombcast. Again, I don't usually have time to listen to it on a regular occasion, but I love it when I can. Especially if Tom and Bruce are on.

JeTmAn81

1. Giant Bombcast - These guys are in a class of their own. Sometimes I think they could have careers as comedians if they wanted to. Or maybe they already do...

2. 8-4 Play - I like this crew, and the Japanese angle brings a different flavor to the proceedings. They tend to cover different games, and the Nintendo emphasis is appreciated.

3. Weekend Confirmed - I listen to this one too.

daemissary

Giant Bombcast obvi.

I just started goin back and listening to old episodes from 2008 rather than listen to other podcasts which are new. So I guess you could say I'm a fan.

BEST SECRET PODCAST EPISODE OF 2012 ! (click image to download)

Originally aired as an April Fool's joke, I relistened to this episode a few times because it made me nostalgia hard back to only a few years ago when GFW was my favourite podcast. Insightful commentary and discussion on Chris-chan and Michael Stipe's arrogance. A great listen and recommended to anyone.

My list this year:
  • Idle Thumbs | My favourite podcast ever next to GFW Radio. So happy with the Kickstarter they did and that they are back on a weekly basis. Also livestreams of Super Black Bass and Tennnes :) They don't talk about the new stuff every week so it's a great addition to the "mainstream" podcasts.
  • 8-4 Play | Made some artwork in the biweekly GAF thread which almost won me a Vita on their show this February. Great editing and nice to listen to a podcast that focuses a bit more on the Japanese market. HYPE TRAINNNNNN!!!!
  • Giant Bombcast | Still continues to be great. No further comment.

Honourable Mention

Thisyearcollection.org

ZanzibarBreeze (GAFfer and GiantBomber) does an amazing job compiling all of our favourite podcasts. Major respect to your efforts....

All podcasts are message boards: LIVE to me...which is why I love them.

1. 8-4 - Their retrospectives done this year easily puts them on top. Their unabashed 'biased' approach on a typical episode is both unique and hilarious. They seem to be the ones with the least to lose if the podcast fails, and you can tell in their world class banter.

2. Retronauts - Their video game movie series, the episodes that interview/focus on a single game creator, and the overall style of host Bob Mackey has made for a great listen...when they bother to record.

3. Bombcast - Best place to get news commentary. Sometimes they don't seem to know very basic details about the topic at hand, then proceed to talk about it for 45 minutes. This should be a negative, but their personalities and humor keep me coming back.

Stopped listening to: Weekend Confirmed.

Bombcast. They have great chemistry and the guys are just naturally funny and entertaining. It's a really great listen every week. Even if what they are talking about totally doesn't interest me at all, they make it worth listening to.

Chaos

1. Idle Thumbs -

2. Watch Out For Fireballs! - I learned about this podcast from Something Awful (since the guys who run it are members there). It is sort of like a book club where they chose a single game and just focus the entire episode discussing it. I don't listen to every episode due to time, but I have enjoyed the ones when I have listened.

You might like The Cane & Rinse podcast who do the same.

My most listed to this year were Allgengamers, 8-4 and Gamers With Jobs.

Blazyr

I should not read this thread

Oh well, never works for Bart either.

Going to play in the 405 during rush hour.

I have never heard of Idle Thumbs. Added to my Google Reader and Downloading Now!
Weekend Confirmed
Giant Bombcast
Major Nelson Radio (don't hurt me, i'm kind of an Xbox fanboy and I have been listening to it since it was just Major Nelson himself, oh and it was my first podcast)
love it though. E and Laura too.

Going to play in the 405 during rush hour.

Use to keep me awake when i was a road warrior on the 101 and the 91 and the 60, and to a lesser extent the 57 and 60 and 10 and 15 and 5. haven't really had to use the 405 much.

Gotta love LA.

tadcalabash

Neo Member
1. Giant Bombcast - Far and away the best in existence

2. Weekend Confirmed - Cannot get enough Cannata (two Ns, one T)

3. Idle Thumbs - Glad to see this great podcast return

4. Gamers with Jobs - Tends to have pretty great guests

Radio Free Nintendo is the only podcast I listen to anymore. I'm not interested in listening to a lot of podcasts and it provides me with what I'm interested, an adult discussion of Nintendo games that sometimes goes into other systems.

A little over 2 more days to get your votes in for your favorite podcasts of the year.

I'll be tabulating GAF's final results in a separate thread on Saturday after voting ends, so let your favorites be known!

Ceebs

Idle Thumbs, no questions asked.

If there was any complaint about it, then it would be that they have been rehashing the same discussion for the past 2 weeks or so They keep coming up with new talking points about it though.

Beats out the Bombcast simply because I am absolutely sick of hearing them talk about Mass Effect 3.

Idle Thumbs, PoP and Bombcast are consistently good/great and have been so for a long time. So my GPOTY is Video Games Hot Dog, which I discovered a couple of months ago through a mention on IT. It's a great show, with lots of insightful developer talk, poopjokes and mirth.

Atruvius

Idle Thumbs

The Funniest gaming podcast there is. They always make me laugh, though the episodes could be a bit longer. They also talk about games in a much deeper level than any other podcast I have listened to.

jozero

Neo Member
No particular order :

8-4 Play. Even though their goofy naming routine schtick at the beginning keeps getting longer and longer.

Radio Free Nintendo (and its sidekick Nintendo Free Radio)

Active Time Babble. Not on enough but always good.

Geekbox for general geekery and gaming.

Fangamer. Well produced.

I fell off the Weekend Confirmed, Cagcast, and Giant Bombcast wagon. Shifted over to some Comic Book & geeky podcasts including Comic Conspiracy, The Incomparable, and Infinite Longbox.

I *love* podcasts. They have mostly replaced music as background fodder for me as I work.

elektrixx

Banned
The only podcast of the year continues to be the Giant Bombcast. Consistent quality for years on end. What I appreciate most is how they don't use any pissy excuse to not record a podcast. Always reliable.

No other gaming podcast compares, so my runner up is Live Audio Wrestling.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Idle Thumbs (along with the Book Club) is easily my favorite podcast, although One Life Left is a close second. I stopped listening to a lot of podcasts this year, most notably 8-4, because I thought they had fallen off, but Idle Thumbs and OLL have always been consistent.

Top Bottom