• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your G(Podcast)OTY ? [2012] (Voting ends Friday 12am PST)

MisterC20XX

1. Bombcast
2. Idle Thumbs
3. 8-4 Play
4. Weekend Confirmed
5. PlayStation Blogcast (Nick Suttner + proof that official podcasts can be done right)

zroid

Banned
Also a shout out to Sup Holmes, Jonathan Holmes' weekly live streamed interview with an indie game dev or other industry personality. He has good chemistry with seemingly everyone, and it's always informative and interesting. It gets posted in an audio podcast format too, but watching it is best.

Tame

Giant Bomb (always looking forward to these)
Idle Thumbs (can get a bit long winded and a bit too analytic at times for my liking but they tend to come out with little nuggets of gold)
IGN UK podcast
Game/Life podcast (i always liked Chris Kohler when he was on Retronauts)
8-4 Play (also one of them does my head in...it might be JJ, cant remember)

Podcasts I've given up on
All 1Up podcasts (not even the luster of Jeremy Parish can bring me to listen to them anymore)
Weekend Confirmed (Garnets co presenters just rub me up the wrong way)

Player One Podcast followed by 8-4, Radio Free Nintendo, and Weekend Confirmed.

I also enjoy the Bombcast when they're actually talking about games (can't wait for their GOTY podcasts this year). In an ideal world they'd release an edited version where I don't have to hear about sandwiches and matresses.

In an ideal world thats all they would talk about.

sixghost

Idle Thumbs.

I'm disappointed that they've cut out a lot of the silliness and in-jokes since they came back, but it's still the best.

Celegus

Bombcast and 8-4 are leagues better than anything else out there, and I've tried most of them. I have a strange affection for Gamespot Gameplay as well, but I can see how that's not for everyone (any episode with Chris Waters = gold though)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've been kind of disappointed with the return of Idle Thumbs. I loved the cast before they stopped doing it and backed them on Kickstarter, but it feels like they've become a bit too (and I hate to use this word) "hipster" for my tastes. It seems like everything they play these days is some obscure artistic PC or iOS game. There are still some great moments, but I've stopped being super excited for every new cast.

RFN while Greg was still there. New show isn't bad but Greg really kept things in check. Dude should be writing for a major publication. He's brought more level-headedness and intelligence to RFN than any podcast listed in this thread so far.

rexor0717

Idle Thumb's return has been glorious. They're more focused than they were previously, but their discussions are unmatched. They still drop some silliness here and there, but nothing like they used to (Phaedrus will never be beat for me personally).

Slime

Banned
I don't really listen to much other than 8-4 anymore. Maybe my favorite podcast ever.

I still listen to Weekend Confirmed on occasion, and my feelings are still mixed, but I've enjoyed it a lot more this year. Nikole is a great addition.

AwRy108

Bombcast, no contest.
Distant 2nd would be the PlayerOne Podcast
3rd would be 8-4 Play

...used to love Weekend Confirmed, but ever since Andrea--who I can't stand--became a semi-regular guest, it hasn't been worth the gamble.

Pajamas

RFN while Greg was still there. New show isn't bad but Greg really kept things in check. Dude should be writing for a major publication. He's brought more level-headedness and intelligence to RFN than any podcast listed in this thread so far.
Greg is sorely missed. However, I do enjoy Guillaume's contributions.

I've been kind of disappointed with the return of Idle Thumbs. I loved the cast before they stopped doing it and backed them on Kickstarter, but it feels like they've become a bit too (and I hate to use this word) "hipster" for my tastes. It seems like everything they play these days is some obscure artistic PC or iOS game. There are still some great moments, but I've stopped being super excited for every new cast.
I dunno man, they were always mentioning IGF games before 'cause Chris has a judges account. They did apologise for talking so much about games most of us can't play, I don't have any Apple products so that's kind of a bummer but I'd rather they talk about what they're enjoying rather than try to force some sort of house style.

rexor0717

Did you miss the week spanning discussions of Far Cry 3, Dishonored, and XCom? I'm not saying you are wrong about them liking obscure things, but they haven't been shying away from main stream games.

conman

Recently started listening regularly to Idle Thumbs. Great podcast. Smart discussion. No grandstanding or unreasonable opinionating. Not over-long. Good vibe.

Bombcast is way too "talky" for my taste. Lots of BSing. Goes along with the site's whole vibe of not editing anything. Works for some folks, not for me. I keep trying, but then I get annoyed and stop.

Weekend Confirmed has become a big disappointment. Something has been "off" with them for a while now. Not a lot of energy left. They just seem to be going through the motions.

Sulik2

1) Bombcast
2) Idle Thumbs
3) Gamers With Jobs Conference Call
4) Rebel FM

I tried to get into 8-4 Play but they just talk about too many games I don't care about.

megalowho

1. Bombcast. They never miss a Tuesday, can drop 3 hours like it's nothing, killed E3 and have been solid all year long. Funny guys, good discussion.

2. Idle Thumbs, great to have them back. Feel like it's gotten a little stuffier since the return, but there's room for that as well.
Miss
Nick.

3. The Besties is pretty entertaining, have stuck with that one. Good group of hosts, those McElroy brothers know their way around a podcast.

Shoutout to CAGCast and 8-4, they make me cringe every once in a while but they're always an entertaining listen.

giantbomb (awesome dumb shit.)
This is only a test (they talk about games sometimes... w/e)
8-4 play (why read gaf when they read gaf to you!)
comedy button (close enough to games)
idle thumbs (glad they back)

Azriell

All I really listen to is Weekend Confirmed, 8-4 Play, and Game Scoop. As a former IGN reader from the early 2000s and then a big 1up fan for a few years there, these are the only guys I feel any sort of connection to. I tried a few others (Bombcast, Gamers with Jobs, Player 1) awhile ago, but it's hard for me to get into a new show with new people for whom I have no familiarity. Ive been meaning to try Bombcast again, as it (and I guess most things Giant Bomb) gets such praise on GAF.

Game Scoop is an enjoyable listen, but a lot of their views and opinions come across as sort of "frat boy dude bro". It often feels pretty lowbrow. Also most of my IGN favorites have long since moved on, and outside of Daemon, Greg (when he isn't being obnoxious), and Anthony (who isn't on the show nearly enough,mand when he is doesn't talk enough) I couldn't care less about the cast.

8-4 Play is great listen. The work they do outside of podcasting is interesting. They cover stuff that others miss, although it can be frustrating hearing about Japan's upcoming releases when I know that it won't come out here for some time. Mark is always great, and John too. JJ initially didn't do it for me, but he's grown on me. JJ and John's voices sound similar to me sometimes, and I can't tell who is saying what. Great podcast overall, and for me, tied with Weekend Confirmed.

Weekend Confirmed gets a huge boost for having Garnett and Jeff (if Jeff ends up moving as a result of TRS ending, I don't know what I'll do). Indie Jeff I really appreciate as well. I often disagree with at least one host's opinions, but that's not always a bad thing. Also as someone who is now married with children and short on gaming time, I enjoy hearing Garnett's tales of domesticated life. This podcast can come across as unknowledgable at times, but I still find the personalities enjoyable. The guests of the ever-rotating 4th chair are usually good, and this show gets some pretty good industry guests as well.

This Year: It might be a cheat, since this isn't original content. But the This Year crew did fantastic job in 2012, recapping the best moments of our most favorite podcasts. They did: The Hotspot, GFW Radio, Bombcast, Idlethumbs (original run) and 1UP Yours. These are huge podcasts, ranging from 4 to 8 hours per show per year. Amazing effort, and you guys deserve to be recognized for it more.

Thank you! That's very kind, and we really appreciate it.

Starting to think that Bombcast is the best gaming podcast and non-gaming podcast. I could listen to those guys talk about anything. Vinny should be a comedian.

clockpunk

The Videogamer.com Podcast, winner of a VGA a few months back, hands down - makes me laugh every week, and the interaction with forum members is second to none.

Major Nelson Radio comes in second - rather shilly, but some interesting stories, details, and non-gaming chatter more than make up for the PR-like position it occupies.

Retronauts is the final gaming podcast I listen to, and brings back many a fond memory.

Idle Thumbs and Bombcast are leagues above any other podcast out there.

8-4 Play and Player One usually have some good content as well.

Weekend Confirmed is downright awful. Just awful. After their talk about the opening of Far Cry 3 the other week, describing it as "romanticized island vacation", I just couldn't listen anymore. That opening is great, as the Bombcast guys said, because it makes you hate the main character and his friends; I don't care if this was intentional or not, it was brilliant. Perfect opening, and the Weekend Confirmed guys just completely missed the point.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Idle Thumbs and Bombcast are leagues above any other podcast out there.

8-4 Play and Player One usually have some good content as well.

Weekend Confirmed is downright awful. Just awful. After their talk about the opening of Far Cry 3 the other week, describing it as "romanticized island vacation", I just couldn't listen anymore. That opening is great, as the Bombcast guys said, because it makes you hate the main character and his friends; I don't care if this was intentional or not, it was brilliant. Perfect opening, and the Weekend Confirmed guys just completely missed the point.

Are you sure it's not the other way around?

I've never listened to Weekend Confirmed, and I haven't gotten very far into Far Cry 3 yet, but weren't the Giant Bomb guys grumbling that the story never followed up on the whole "douchebag trustfund kids" angle?

Levito

Banned
Podtoid is the only gaming podcast I've been listening to steadily throughout the year, so that gets my vote.

Man nothing will EVER be able to fill the void GFW radio left in my heart, I miss those guys so much.

ArjanN

Did you miss the week spanning discussions of Far Cry 3, Dishonored, and XCom? I'm not saying you are wrong about them liking obscure things, but they haven't been shying away from main stream games.

I still love Idle Thumbs, but I do feel they're a bit... snobby about games now and then. Some deeper discussion of games is nice, but it kind of seems like they feel guilty if they play a game "just" for fun.

Also some of these podcasts have the tendency to turn into "work/family/I wish I had time to play games"-podcasts. Which I guess is understandable but not terribly interesting to listen to.

The Bombcast is probably my favourite, it's only real downside is when they're jump to conclusions about stuff they don't really know enough about, which is why I like the addition of Patrick Klepek, as he generally is better informed or at least willing to be open-minded.

IMO

God Tier - Idle Thumbs, Giant Bombcast
Really, really good tier - 8-4 Play, Gamers w/Jobs
YMMV Tier - Weekend Confirmed, Player One

Same here.

I have to listen to new Idle Thumbs eps instantly. I must listen to all Bombcasts, I generally listen to weekend confirmed but won't feel guilty about missing a few here and there since the quality will waver so much episode to episode. I don't listen to every GWJ and 8-4 episode, but I always end up enjoying them when I do.

Ardvent

I used to listen to this every week. But I could only take so much skyrim talk

I actually haven't heard them talk about anything more than an episode and sometimes a mention in another one. They got a few complaints about it and stopped dragging on.

Are you sure it's not the other way around?

I've never listened to Weekend Confirmed, and I haven't gotten very far into Far Cry 3 yet, but weren't the Giant Bomb guys grumbling that the story never followed up on the whole "douchebag trustfund kids" angle?

Yeah, the story never did follow up on that, but I can't see how someone could write a line like "to my dad's black card to my black card" with a straight face.

Dylan

I think my highlight this year was when Brad Shoemaker, after years of being bullied by Ryan Davis, unleashed his pent up rage and called Davis a "fucking dick" over a discussion concerning Derby Pie.

Seriously though, the Giant Bombcast is definitely the best gaming podcast. I don't always agree with them (I bought Diablo III after listening to their praise and absolutely hated it) but the guys on the Bombcast are genuinely funny. They have an original approach to "banter" and every member of that cast comes off as very likeable. I look forward to it every week in the same way I used to enjoy 1upYours or GFWRadio.

8-4 play is good but there are a lot of awkward moments and seemingly uncomfortable disagreements. Stuff like the recurring Notch impression comes off as a bit juvenile. Though their retrospectives, especially with Kevin Gifford are amazing. I'm still hoping they do more listener questions; since they are in a unique position being in Japan, and are also have a lot of connections with game developers.

Chalk me up as another who stopped listening to Weekend Confirmed. I just plain stopped enjoying it. Oh well.

mik

mik is unbeatable
Major Nelson Radio comes in second - rather shilly, but some interesting stories, details, and non-gaming chatter more than make up for the PR-like position it occupies
This one is my favorites as well, but for different reasons. I just love hearing a cretinous quinquagenarian make awkward advances at his twenty-something female co-host. It's podcast magic.

Gloam

Giant Bombcast is the best for me. Look forward to it every week, entertaining, funny, informative. Yeah.

Runner-up:

No More Whoppers fronts likes its not a video game podcast, but it really kinda is, the amount of time that Ray and Alex spend waxing about video games is staggering. It's also neat that most of the games they talk about are from the 32bit era or earlier.

FStop7

Banned
1. Idle Thumbs - easily the best because of how much insight the group brings to the table.

2. Giant Bombcast - the funniest

3. 8-4 Play - the Japanest

there are no others.

Top Bottom