• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Community |OT| It's Time to D-D-D-D, D-D-D-D-Duel!

Kokonoe

Banned
Forbidden:
Elemental HERO Stratos
Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
Future Fusion
Heavy Storm

Limited:
Red-eyes Darkness Metal Dragon
Inzektor Centipede
Rescue Rabbit
Wind-Up Carrier Zenmaity
One Day of Peace
Ultimate Offering

Semi-limited:
Book of Moon
Pot of Avarice

Unlimited:
Spore
Tragoedia

AlterRealityGames is saying this list was obtained by someone at Worlds: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150941534181511&set=a.234049876510.143377.234021296510&type=1&theater

Heavy Storm gone? I'm okay with this.
Don't really understand Red-Eyes.
I prefer Book of Moon at one, personally.

Wiseblade

Amusing that banlist is real, I have mixed feelings about FF. On one hand I like that Five Head Dragon will stop showing up every other duel, on the other hand I probably won't have much use for Twin Photon Lizard now. And as much as I hate Brio, I like Brio going away and leaving only one dragon left. And it looks like Konami is really wanting the backrow back now. Also is there a stream of Worlds anywhere?

Brio is an excellent counterbalance to all the cards in play that are immune to destruction or for whom being sent to the grave is trivial. Having Brio gone only makes Zenmaines that much stronger. Future Fusion was basically just a 2-5 monster version of Premature burial. And there's a very good reason why Premature burial is at 1.

Heavy Storm gone? I'm okay with this.
Don't really understand Red-Eyes.
I prefer Book of Moon at one, personally.

The Hieratic archetype has an OTK that requires two copies of Red-Eyes in the deck to work. Chaos Dragon decks have been one of the top 4 decks in the TCG this format and Red-Eyes is a key card there too.

thetechkid

Brio is an excellent counterbalance to all the cards in play that are immune to destruction or for whom being sent to the grave is trivial. Having Brio gone only makes Zenmaines that much stronger. Future Fusion was basically just a 2-5 monster version of Premature burial. And there's a very good reason why Premature burial is at 1.

Yeah I get why Brio is a good card for stuff, but I just have a hatred for it because every time I bring out Stardust in the next turn it always gets sent away by Brio.

Big One

Banned
Apparently this is the real list according to the weekly V-Jump OCG source on 2ch:

Forbidden Cards:
Future Fusion

Limited Cards:
Inzektor Dragonfly
Inzektor Hornet
Evigishki Gustkraken
Chaos Sorcerer
Spore
Wind-Up Carrier Zenmaity
Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon
Tsukuyomi
Ultimate Offering

Semi-Limited Cards:
Mirror Force
Reasoning
A Hero Lives
Hieratic Seal of Convocation
Pot of Duality
E - Emergency Call
Rescue Rabbit
Blackwing - Kalut the Moon Shadow
Debris Dragon
The Agent of Mystery - Earth
Tour Guide From the Underworld

Unlimted Cards:
Necro Gardna
Marshmallon
Emergency Teleport
Destiny Draw
Swords of Revealing Light
Level Limit - Area B
Magic Cylinder

Tour Guide in the OCG has been renamed to Death Guide Leaving the Underworld Bound for the Living World (魔界発現世行きデスガイド)

Wiseblade

Dragonfly and Hornet@1? Inzektors are DEAD. D.D. Crow is already in almost every Side Deck and making Leviar to retrieve it is simply too slow. Making R5 Xyz with Ladybug is nice, but they still won't be able to crank those out consistently with Dragonfly@1. Things might get really rough for the bugs from here on. Limiting Evigishki Gustkraken kills that hand loop, right? Then I fine with it. I am not happy about bringing back Tsukuyomi however. That card is simply too dumb. I guess I better switch out my Bottomless Trap Holes for Torrentials...

Mirror Force@2 is a little surprising, but I don't think it will see much play still. The game is just moving away from non-chainable traps in a big way. Light taps like knocking A Hero Live and Emergency Call to two makes more sense than taking a bat to HEROes by banning Stratos. I'm not going to complain about Convocation@2, nor Duality. Tour Guide hit has me in hysterics after so many people thought it would be immune. That plus Rabbit@2 might be enough to reign in Dino-Rabbit without hurting Evilswarm/Gem-Knight decks. Earth@2 is nice but I really wish Kristya had been limited to compensate. Kalut@2 without Book of moon following suit has me raging. I will should from the rooftops that Damage Calculation hand traps are overpowered
Right up until the day Jurracs get one
. Debris@2 is OK, but without Brio...

I don't like any of the unlimited cards. Stall/burn don't need the help. All this does is make me cling closer to Six Samurai so I can tear these decks apart without trying.

Another list with Rekindling untouched has me happy though. 6 more months!

As I've said before, I'm not into new cards. But lifting the limits on Marshmallon, Swords and Magic Cylinder (and making Mirror Force semi-limited) is strange to me. Perhaps new monster/spell cards make it easier to destroy the said cards.

Today for no real reason, watched the original yugioh (not duel monsters). The animation is very outdated, Tristians had an annoying gf, Kaiba/Mokuba were more evil than DM counterparts, and lots of weird games. Surprised one character from S0, showed up in 5D. Guess they kind of connect ;x

Apparently this is the real list according to the weekly V-Jump OCG source on 2ch:

Forbidden Cards:
Future Fusion

Limited Cards:
Inzektor Dragonfly
Inzektor Hornet
Evigishki Gustkraken
Chaos Sorcerer
Spore
Wind-Up Carrier Zenmaity
Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon
Tsukuyomi
Ultimate Offering

Semi-Limited Cards:
Mirror Force
Reasoning
A Hero Lives
Hieratic Seal of Convocation
Pot of Duality
E - Emergency Call
Rescue Rabbit
Blackwing - Kalut the Moon Shadow
Debris Dragon
The Agent of Mystery - Earth
Tour Guide From the Underworld

Unlimted Cards:
Necro Gardna
Marshmallon
Emergency Teleport
Destiny Draw
Swords of Revealing Light
Level Limit - Area B
Magic Cylinder

Tour Guide in the OCG has been renamed to Death Guide Leaving the Underworld Bound for the Living World (魔界発現世行きデスガイド)
If this Banlist is confirmed, why the need to add this back? Aren't there plenty of cards to exploit with Tsyukuyomi's effect or not really? (Idk Every new card that have expanded after New Genesis of 5Ds series).

Kokonoe

Banned
The Hieratic archetype has an OTK that requires two copies of Red-Eyes in the deck to work. Chaos Dragon decks have been one of the top 4 decks in the TCG this format and Red-Eyes is a key card there too.

Ah, I figured it was something new. Good to know Dragons are in the tops now.

If this Banlist is confirmed, why the need to add this back? Aren't there plenty of cards to exploit with Tsyukuyomi's effect or not really? (Idk Every new card that have expanded after New Genesis of 5Ds series).

His effect isn't any big deal these days, and probably not good enough for maining.

Wiseblade

Ah, I figured it was something new. Good to know Dragons are in the tops now.

His effect isn't any big deal these days, and probably not good enough for maining.

It's more useful than you think. the game is currently loaded with monsters that under norcal circumstances can be extremely troublesome to get past, like Shi En, Naturia Beast/Barkion, Void Ogre Dragon and even cards like Utopia. He's especially useful in a Prophecy deck, where being locked out opf using spells is pretty much an instant loss and Spellbook of Power can boost Tsuki to a respectable 2100 ATK.

i'm not sure if i want stratos banned.

On one hand, it's to kill hero beat.

On the other, it will make heroes a deck of skill.

and i run heroes.

I-hate-u

I run a chaos twilight dragon deck. Future Fusion ban and Red Eyes limited will hurt it. Atleast they did not touch Light Pulsar.

And some the cards they made unlimited are going to be a pain as well sigh

Wiseblade

I run a chaos twilight dragon deck. Future Fusion ban and Red Eyes limited will hurt it. Atleast they did not touch Light Pulsar.

And some the cards they made unlimited are going to be a pain as well sigh

A Future Fusion ban and Red-Eyes limit are what the deck deserves. Chaos Dragons consistently summon multiple 2500+ ATK beater to the field, including Dark Armed Dragon, Lightpulsar Dragon, Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning and Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon itself. It's that relentless assault of Boss Monsters that keeps a whole host of other decks from making even modest appearances in major tournaments.

I-hate-u

I like it because it so effective for being inexpensive compared to the wind-ups, dino-rabbits and inzektors. Also who doesn't love boss monsters. Chaos dragons have the cool factor son.

Wiseblade

I like it because it so effective for being inexpensive compared to the wind-ups, dino-rabbits and inzektors. Also who doesn't love boss monsters. Chaos dragons have the cool factor son.

And all three of those equally dominant deck got solid hits from the nerf bat. Why should Chaos Dragons be any different?

Chaos dragons is one of those decks that if you open with future fusion you just go "herp derp" and just stare into space after that. That damn wyvern gives way too much pluses.

A loop hole I've been meaning to contribute to this thread is this:
SpearCretinSDRL-EN-C-1E.jpg
Have 2-3 of this card in your main deck. flip and sacrifice to use its effect or let it get destroyed and repeat effect by ss whatever monster. Keep note that this works for your opponent(s) as well. It works for exodia decks. Fyi: Not good with/against Nobleman of Crossout or remove effects general, including NecroValley.

So im a pretty old school player and ive recently wanted to get back into it but I really dont like these new synchro and xyz cards. What are GAFs opinions on their introductions to the game?

So im a pretty old school player and ive recently wanted to get back into it but I really dont like these new synchro and xyz cards. What are GAFs opinions on their introductions to the game?
I am an old school player myself and so is my best friend. We weren't "happy" to see so much change with the newest installments to the series, but after watching the shows and experimenting with the new cards, it's evident how much diverse and fast-paced the card game has become then it was in the past. Maybe you aren't interested of Synchro monsters and XYZs but I Highly recommend watching. Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds series to Reinvigorate the series which I enjoyed a lot and so did my best friend. Tournaments are a lot more fun and fast, with newer strategies with different duelists always changing things up least you expected. :p

Kokonoe

Banned

Well as I've mentioned earlier on in this thread, I got back into the game with a Yu-Gi-Oh! video game where I was first introduced to Synchro Monsters for the very first time, and I was out of the game since the first series (Duel Monsters), ended.
I also suggest watching 5D's. There are sites out there, but you can also watch it on 4Kids's website if it still exists, or Hulu.

I wasn't in particular put off by it, but I did feel slightly out of place since I didn't know the mechanics behind them. So for me, it was just a simple experiment and I ended up enjoying Synchro monsters quite a bit. They really do add to the game, and boost almost(if not) every single deck that can be made.

XYZ and Synchro monsters make the game faster, but they also make the game more enjoyable.

It's more useful than you think. the game is currently loaded with monsters that under norcal circumstances can be extremely troublesome to get past, like Shi En, Naturia Beast/Barkion, Void Ogre Dragon and even cards like Utopia. He's especially useful in a Prophecy deck, where being locked out opf using spells is pretty much an instant loss and Spellbook of Power can boost Tsuki to a respectable 2100 ATK.

It's so odd that I've only been out of the game a few months and this has occurred.

I-hate-u

I stopped playing Yugioh around when the Cyber Dragons where everywhere and got back into it just recently. I too was put off by the synchros and xyz but trust me they add a deeper layer to the game (and jack up the prices of certain cards).

The best advice I will give to a returning old school player is that no one tributes summons anymore. It has become so easy to OTK and swarm in Yugioh due to strong special summons, synchro and xyz.

Wiseblade

I stopped playing Yugioh around when the Cyber Dragons where everywhere and got back into it just recently. I too was put off by the synchros and xyz but trust me they add a deeper layer to the game (and jack up the prices of certain cards).

The best advice I will give to a returning old school player is that no one tributes summons anymore. It has become so easy to OTK and swarm in Yugioh due to strong special summons, synchro and xyz.

I did, once. I totally tributed two monsters on the field to summon a level 7 monster in my hand. My opponent totally freaked out.

I-hate-u

Out of the 3 original main Yugioh monsters (Blue eyes, Red Eyes and Dark Magician), Red Eyes line of monster have up-scaled the rest. Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon is arguably the best Dragon monster in the game.

I wish Konami would add some useful boss monsters to the Blue eyes and DM family.

Wiseblade

Dark Magician is getting a retrained version:

HighPriestessofProphecy-REDU-EN-OP.jpg

And in case you're a normal person and can't read that:

High Priestess of Prophecy
Level 7 - Light - Spellcaster - Effect
You can reveal 3 "Spellbook" Spell Cards in your hand; Special Summon this card from your hand. Once per turn: You can banish 1 "Spellbook" Spell Card from your hand or Graveyard to target 1 card on the field; destroy that target.

I-hate-u

Yeah that would be good and dandy of the card resembles Dark Magician in any way :/ She seems to be more of a DMG retrained version

High Priestess of Prophecy is good to OTK but her effect is situation in my opinion. I like Blizzard Princess:

BlizzardPrincess-CT09-EN-SR-LE.jpg

She is a staple in a spell-caster deck

I-hate-u

I was thinking of buying the new Return of Duelist box for the spellcasters but I have a sneaking suspicion that they will come in their own structure deck soon enough

Wiseblade

I was thinking of buying the new Return of Duelist box for the spellcasters but I have a sneaking suspicion that they will come in their own structure deck soon enough

Unlikely; Spellcasters have already received two structure decks.

At least show the cool looking version
that can't be played, but c'mon

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120816090553/yugioh/images/f/f2/LegendaryMagicianofDark-2012-EN-UR-UE.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Don't taunt me with that...

Wiseblade

Best Red-Eyes:

http://i.minus.com/ibsDw5RvDsL5cV.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Zombies are like beyond dead. Pretty much every modern deck does "special summoning from the graveyard" better. I think Mezuki could go back to two and things wouldn't change all that much. Although I have no idea why Konami made a 4000 ATK zombie that is a valid Pyramid turtle target...

Kokonoe

Banned
At least show the cool looking version
that can't be played, but c'mon

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120816090553/yugioh/images/f/f2/LegendaryMagicianofDark-2012-EN-UR-UE.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Why does Konami keep making these types of cards? There really is no point.

Wiseblade

The way I see it, power creep is inevitable in games like this. Pokémon (both the TCG and the videogames) have had major power creep over the years, even Magic: The Gathering has had some. I just find it hard to sympathise when somebody complains that their old deck simply can't compete anymore. Especially since in most cases, the deck doesn't really need to be completely abandoned, but rather reworked to exploit the new additions to the game.

It's like if you wanted to build a competitive B/W team using only Gen I Pokémon with Gen I moves, then I'd have no sympathy for you when you complain about losing. But if you really want to use Charizard and build a team around it, then you'll get a lot further.

The problem with my deck is that it can't really be reworked. Synchros and XYZ basically nullifies it. I understand why they added these types of cards but they overlooked the fact that they ruin burn decks which are a significant portion of decks. It's like parries nullifying lame gameplay in 3rd strike.

Big One

Banned
Well let me put it this way: Most of the old decks outside of ones literally destroyed by the banlist are playable. And by these decks I mean stuff like Tele-DAD or Plants, which thankfully in the new list have been revived a little bit. But then there's decks like Empty Jar which is STILL playable even today, as is Exodia. And if you remember Gravekeeper's from back in the day, you can now play an entire Gravekeeper deck because of the really awesome support they got in the 5D's era.

It's really a lot of the newer jank like Ice Barrier or Ally of Justice that kind of suck. You can still play decks like Nurse Burn if you wanted to, you just have to update them to modern standards and run some newer cards like One Day of Peace for example.

Top Bottom