• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

yuzu will pay $2.4 million in damages to Nintendo to settle their lawsuit

Davevil

0bf9bb22e4e2971b243c6564b291d205.gif

Meanwhile Ryujinx's creator

mrcroket

I don't think shader comp stutter is worse in Ryujinx nowadays (it might even be better). It is more demanding, but if you have a reasonably recent CPU there's no problem.
Yuzu is great if you have a decade old CPU.
It is way worse than yuzu on shader compilation. I have a 5800x3D and for me ryujinx is not an option, I can't deal with stuttering.

Last edited:
Ruyjinx next? Will Nintendo go after other emulators, I quess both parties got what they wanted, Nintendo never really wanted to test emulation in court, yuzu devs can just disband while keeping their livelihood intact.

Astray

Btw, this is one of the consequence of backwards support.

PS4 for example is not a "past-gen" product, with backcompat it's a current product that Sony will protect to the last drop of its blood. The same will happen to ps5 when ps6 drops etc etc.

Take the good with the bad I guess.

So it's the project dead?

Well fuck me, i dont trust Nintendo on preserving games whatsoever, but considering they got millions on this it was just a question of time.

The project is open source so it's likely other people will pick on this and continue development.
Project can come back in another name as it’s open source, but these devs won’t be able to contribute anymore.

Topher

Gold Member
But I was reliably informed by internet experts on the internet that Nintendo didn't have a leg to stand on and this case was just for the lulz.

Think we should not confuse debating the merits of the case with an expected outcome. Plenty of folks have been saying since this began that Yuzu wouldn't be able to financially fight this fight. Many of us also made the point that Nintendo did not want this to go to court. Folks need to keep in mind that Nintendo did not have to settle here. They did what they set out to do: shut down Yuzu. That's it. We have no more clarity on this from a legal standpoint than we did before,imo.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I am interested to see where the devs go from here. Surely they won't just drop out of emulation seeing how they're pretty talented and skilled people, it could be possible though

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
BTW despite the suit, yuzu pineapple (basically a source that redistributed the yuzu patreon builds) is somehow still up & running. Download there for the best version of the emulator

tkscz

Yuzu put out a statement, does this mean Citra is gone too?

Wait I'm confused, for TotK to work on Citra someone had to get it up and going. I thought Tropical Haze were the ones to do that, were they not the ones that got TotK working on Yuzu?

Also what does it say that Nintendo didn't bother with Citra, just Yuzu?

To be fair to Nintendo, I get they're embarrassed, their official emulators are dogshit. I'm not surprised they've bullied the smaller but far superior competition out. Anyway, back to re-releasing half-arsed versions of 25 year old games for full price to drooling bags of meat / Nintendo fanboys.

ReyBrujo

I am interested to see where the devs go from here. Surely they won't just drop out of emulation seeing how they're pretty talented and skilled people, it could be possible though
They probably won't touch emulation for a while. Talking as a programmer if you are really passionate about programming being told you can no longer turn on a PC or use internet would be too painful. I have no idea who these developers are, never really cared about yuzu but I'm guessing they are young and the idea of that outcome if they were to lose the case must have frightened beyond reason.

Banjo64

cumsessed
There’s famous emulators that have been in development since I was a kid. Project 64 (initial release 2001), SNES9X (initial release 1998), Visual Boy Advance (initial release 2004). The list is endless, and I’d say all of these are at least equally, if not more so, famous that this Switch emulator. There are hundreds of emulators that Nintendo have never pursued.

The fact is, these guys were making $30k per month on the back of Nintendo’s hardware and IPs and were flaunting it with the TOTK leak. That’s why they’ve been pursued.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Nintendo's lawyers have a hell of a lot of work in front of them. They have to file an individual DMCA takedown request for all 4.2k forks, which may have forks of their own, according to github policy.

Example:

I also downloaded a zip file. They're gonna need to dmca my Google drive, too

Topher

Gold Member
Back to enjoying these glorious 480ps in 20fps.

Yeah.....I mean.....I don't want to run my own games in an emulator on my PC for the sheer hell of it. I want to do that because Switch hardware sucks. I want to get these good game off this piece of shit and on to modern hardware.

I also downloaded a zip file. They're gonna need to dmca my Google drive, too

Yep. Same here.

Sentenza

Ryujinx better see the writing on the wall.
It depends of what Ryujinx is exactly doing.

Developing an emulator is NOT illegal. And getting paid on Patreon for it is also not illegal.
In fact you can even straight-up sell an emulator commercially without breaking any law, as the Bleem! precedent established 20 years ago.

There are two main possible explanation for how quickly the Yuzu team folded:
- They are stupid and/or they've been ill-advised by someone to bend over and get over it quickly.
- They have been caught doing something else illegal BESIDE working on the emulator (i.e. pirating and distributing ROMs or using stolen code they didn't write in the emulator.

Does the same apply to Ryujinx?

Last edited:

ReyBrujo

But it's true. Japanese game trailers lock comment fields all the time.
lol, actually you might have a point, NHK World does not allow comments in their YouTube channel. But I think it's more because they take it as a one-way communication and to prevent making the broadcast, trailer or press release become toxic with comments.

I want to do that because Switch hardware sucks.
Which games? I haven't got mine for a long time but the games I played didn't have slowdowns. I guess only using it as handheld and not having other current system (or even previous gen systems) makes it less noticeable.

winjer

Gold Member
That is clearly not extortion lol.

Of course it's extortion.
Normal people can't afford to defend such a big court case. So they have to backdown and accept a settlement.
Big corporations are constantly doing these things against common people.
The system is plainly rigged against the common man and all in favor of huge corporations.

Remember Bleem!. This was an emulator for the PS1.
It was made by a small company and they got sued by Sony. They did defend the case and won.
But by the time it was over, the company had lost so much money, it went bankrupt.
Big corporations don't care about truth, facts or justice. They will crush anyone that gets in their way. And they have the justice system rigged in their favor.

Last edited:

Dane

Reminds me of Al Capone, they couldn't arrest him on his main work, but they managed on the tax evasion evidence. Nintendo looked after Yuzu patreon and discord, that's why they had to settle immediately.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Which games? I haven't got mine for a long time but the games I played didn't have slowdowns. I guess only using it as handheld and not having other current system (or even previous gen systems) makes it less noticeable.

I'm talking about playing the games while docked. Just not a good experience, imo. Overall image quality, resolution, not just performance.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The fact is, these guys were making $30k per month on the back of Nintendo’s hardware and IPs and were flaunting it with the TOTK leak. That’s why they’ve been pursued.
Or bc doesn't enhance games and there's incoming higher res, higher frame rate "remasters" at $70 and they don't want people to have an alternative way to play their existing games equal or better to the Switch 2. Because there's been no official announcement, we still don't know if there's bc at all on Switch 2. It could relate to that, as well.

Either way, I believe this relates to Switch 2, not "flaunting".

Mithos

Of course it's extortion.
Normal people can't afford to defend such a big court case. So they have to backdown and accept a settlement.
Big corporations are constantly doing these things against common people.
The system is plainly rigged against the common man and all in favor of huge corporations.

Remember Bleem!. This was an emulator for the PS1.
It was made by a company and they got sued by Sony. They did defend the case.
But by the time it was over, the company had lost so much money, it went bankrupt.
Big corporations don't care about truth, facts or justice. They will crush anyone that gets in their way. And they have the justice system rigged in their favor.
Maybe it's time....

NOSTLGE.png

Last edited:

ReyBrujo

I'm talking about playing the games while docked. Just not a good experience, imo. Overall image quality, resolution, not just performance.
Ah, okay. I don't really play action games or similar, I finished Cereza and tried Astral Chain and God Eater but got tired maybe half an hour in because I had already button-smashed Fire Emblem Warriors and didn't see the point but stick more with JRPG and the only thing I noticed was that somehow the circle in Etrian Odyssey is in low resolution in 1080 lol

Nearly all of them.
That's useful, thanks.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Or bc doesn't enhance games and there's incoming higher res, higher frame rate "remasters" at $70 and they don't want people to have an alternative way to play their existing games equal or better to the Switch 2.

You could be right, and I don’t remember if this was the case or not, but surely if that was Nintendo’s motivation they also would have gone after Wii U emulators in the build up to the Switch’s release.

Especially considering the fact that BotW and MK8 were launch window ports.

Top Bottom