• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

yuzu will pay $2.4 million in damages to Nintendo to settle their lawsuit

SaintALia

I think collecting money was their downfall. Gave Nintendo a point of attack. A lot of IP infringing Nintendo content skids under their radar, but the moment someone starts profiting from it, they start blipping, getting N's attention. That or they have a competing product coming up and can cause 'brand confusion' or whatever.

Also just checked goddamnit, I downloaded Yuzu for android and forgot to download for Windows. I wonder how many people will fork it and work on it now. I think that leaves us with SKyline and Egg NS for Android, so really just Egg NS since I think Skyline is pretty much dead. EggNS devs probably loading up more ads on the app as we they read the headlines for the news about Yuzu.

Buggy Loop

This is not a good thing. This is a bad precedence for all emulators and a first in the industry.

Everyone saying “good”

slap gtfo GIF

Fuck Nintendo

ReyBrujo

I wonder how many people will fork it and work on it now.
Forks? Many. Work on it? Pretty much nobody. The injunction doesn't actually say the code now belongs to Nintendo but Nintendo will have a note saying the code hurts their business and will be use it to take down any fork around (and if someone keeps reposting it they will have to face Nintendo in court).

This is a bad precedence for all emulators and a first in the industry.
Yuzu messed it up big time.

Mr.Phoenix

Daylight roberry. Especially being that I keep being told any developer of an emulator is covered legally to do so.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
why though? just distribute the PinEApple build.

Yuzu vs ryujinx on Deck is not even a conversation, Yuzu beats it every time in performance. removing it off Emudeck makes emulating Switch on that harder.
Probably because EmuDeck is also super popular, and given this particular court victory they probably see themselves potentially in Nintendo's crosshairs. That's part of the point with this settlement, Nintendo knows the dominoes like this one will fall in their favor and that the downstream effects will be more widespread than just getting a measly few million dollars and a new domain name.

Sucks for end users I guess, but it is what it is.

Why is this good news to you, little consumer?

People like that guy you quoted are so fucking pathetic haha. It's painful to read some of you idiots who think this is good news.

I liked Yuzu. I'll never boot my switch up again (and haven't for a long time) because the fidelity and performance are completely unacceptable for someone like me who doesn't enjoy handheld. They make some great games but I could run them 10x better on an emulator so why the fuck wouldn't I. I'll probably never purchase nintendo hardware again.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Also just checked goddamnit, I downloaded Yuzu for android and forgot to download for Windows.

Here is a fork:

Forks? Many. Work on it? Pretty much nobody. The injunction doesn't actually say the code now belongs to Nintendo but Nintendo will have a note saying the code hurts their business and will be use it to take down any fork around (and if someone keeps reposting it they will have to face Nintendo in court).

When in reality......pretty much anybody can work on this code. There are over four thousdands forks of this code. You think that code is just going to up and vanish from the internet because Nintendo wants it to? lol....Nintendo can file lawsuits until they are blue in the face. The code has been in the wild for years now.

Last edited:

Astray

If Nintendo had a leg to sand on, they wouldn’t have settled, you also realise Nintendo went after a company and not individuals, which means they will not be getting a single penny, as the company will just declare bankruptcy, they settled without losing all the money they made, it was a no brainer really.
Of course the company will fold, the business purpose of it is basically over even if this doesn't bankrupt them.

Nintendo are basically getting the entirety of the patreon donations, might be small change to them but it's still nothing to scoff at.

More than that, they now have a playbook that is feared enough to get a super quick settlement against most emulator devs (DMCA infringement via decrypting protection software, nothing short of changing the DMCA would definitely win against this play imo).

Astray

If Nintendo wanted to use the Yuzu code they could do it even before the lawsuit as it's open source AFAIK (just have to do whatever the license requires you to do iirc).

ReyBrujo

When in reality......pretty much anybody can work on this code. There are over four thousdands forks of this code. You think that code is just going to up and vanish from the internet because Nintendo wants it to? lol....Nintendo can file lawsuits until they are blue in the face. The code has been in the wild for years now.
Yes. The code will still be around 30 years from now if you know how to find it but the people able to work on it are few in between. Anyone can compile it, but modify it? That's the thing like with Linux, people say "it's free and I can change it if I want to fix it myself" but how many actually are able to do it? I have been developing software for +20 years, program in 7 different programming languages and when I started with Linux I had the same ideas but now I stick to Mint or Ubuntu because I don't care fixing bugs myself, my time is worth way more to be debugging 240 million of lines of code.

Yes, the code will be around but nobody will care updating it for release because of this injunction. Forking a repo is kind of posting 09 F9 back in Digg when DVD key was broken. But did those people who kept resposting the key knew how to use it? Do people cloning the repo know how to develop an emulator?

a7bkmrN.png

25 people had more than 100 commits in the project. Will anyone of them pick it up? I doubt it. Will someone else continue with it? For 2.4m I doubt it. Those wanting to work on an emulator are better off helping Ryujinx instead because so far their goal still seem clear, to develop an emulator at a hobby pace, not having it working for 0-day releases.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Probably because EmuDeck is also super popular, and given this particular court victory they probably see themselves potentially in Nintendo's crosshairs. That's part of the point with this settlement, Nintendo knows the dominoes like this one will fall in their favor and that the downstream effects will be more widespread than just getting a measly few million dollars and a new domain name.

Sucks for end users I guess, but it is what it is.
yep, EmuDeck would definitely be in Nintendo’s crosshairs & they’re using the Patreon model for early access as well

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
People like that guy you quoted are so fucking pathetic haha. It's painful to read some of you idiots who think this is good news.

I liked Yuzu. I'll never boot my switch up again (and haven't for a long time) because the fidelity and performance are completely unacceptable for someone like me who doesn't enjoy handheld. They make some great games but I could run them 10x better on an emulator so why the fuck wouldn't I. I'll probably never purchase nintendo hardware again.
you most probably not a switch consumer anyway. you think nintendo give a shit about people like you ? XD

Thats like trying to convince a PC gamer to buy games on a PS5.

Last edited:
Of course it's extortion.
Normal people can't afford to defend such a big court case. So they have to backdown and accept a settlement.
Big corporations are constantly doing these things against common people.
The system is plainly rigged against the common man and all in favor of huge corporations.

Remember Bleem!. This was an emulator for the PS1.
It was made by a small company and they got sued by Sony. They did defend the case and won.
But by the time it was over, the company had lost so much money, it went bankrupt.
Big corporations don't care about truth, facts or justice. They will crush anyone that gets in their way. And they have the justice system rigged in their favor.

That's not this work homie, Nintendo had questions they wanted answered legally. They didn't do it to punch money out of Yuzu, they took that as a bonus because the main thing in the settlement is that Yuzu fucked away. The fact that probably more than one professional looked at the situation and advised Yuzu to fold should tell you that Nintendo legally had a point.

Topher

Gold Member
Yes. The code will still be around 30 years from now if you know how to find it but the people able to work on it are few in between. Anyone can compile it, but modify it? That's the thing like with Linux, people say "it's free and I can change it if I want to fix it myself" but how many actually are able to do it? I have been developing software for +20 years, program in 7 different programming languages and when I started with Linux I had the same ideas but now I stick to Mint or Ubuntu because I don't care fixing bugs myself, my time is worth way more to be debugging 240 million of lines of code.

Yes, the code will be around but nobody will care updating it for release because of this injunction. Forking a repo is kind of posting 09 F9 back in Digg when DVD key was broken. But did those people who kept resposting the key knew how to use it? Do people cloning the repo know how to develop an emulator?

a7bkmrN.png

25 people had more than 100 commits in the project. Will anyone of them pick it up? I doubt it. Will someone else continue with it? For 2.4m I doubt it. Those wanting to work on an emulator are better off helping Ryujinx instead because so far their goal still seem clear, to develop an emulator at a hobby pace, not having it working for 0-day releases.

Like you, I've been developing software for 20+. Our job ain't exactly a rare gig my man. Either way, you were talking as if Nintendo was going to be able to stop the code from getting around. I'm saying it will be around for whoever wants it and Nintendo can't stop that.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

NanaMiku

I wonder how long until someone will makes a fork of Yuzu and how fast the emulation community will get an emulator up for the Switch 2 regardless of this outcome.

Because I still stand by the idea that this was also a scare tactic to get developers to stay away from a Switch 2 emulator.
It should be fast. Several weeks ago, Tachiyomi, an open-source manga reader got DMCA'd by Kakao. In hours, forks and backup are already made

ReyBrujo

It should be fast. Several weeks ago, Tachiyomi, an open-source manga reader got DMCA'd by Kakao. In hours, forks and backup are already made
There were 4200 forks in Github alone. A fork doesn't mean new releases, though. It's as if people are expecting developers will unite and start coding to send a message to Nintendo.

NanaMiku

There were 4200 forks in Github alone. A fork doesn't mean new releases, though. It's as if people are expecting developers will unite and start coding to send a message to Nintendo.
Yes, but probably someone will make a new emulator based on Yuzu.

buenoblue

Everyone in here actually celebrating Nintendo reducing our rights with software that we've purchased gets permanent side eye from me.
I fucking hate this take. Yuzu was used to steal games, sometimes before release by millions of people. You have to be a Muppet to not see this is wrong.

Like selling guns in every town in America and being like " oh no it's not the guns that kill people"

Ozzie666

Mixed feelings about this. But honestly, emulation of a current generation system that is still producing games, is not a good idea. Infact, I would say it's poor form and stupid. Let's be honest the majority of people using this are not doing it legitmately anyhow. Emulation of out of production systems, sure why not? Systems where software is no longer available, sure why not.

I don't blame Nintendo one bit protecting its current generation turf, it's a miracle there is Gamecube emulation out there.

Stevonidas

I'm going down that list and two words keep coming to my mind: "too late"
Then you obviously didn't read all the way to Section 2. This judgement also applies basically to anyone or any site dealing with Yuzu in any capacity.

It's dead, and rightly so.

To everyone who is whinging about this judgement:

Pay for your fucking games, you broke-bitch parasites. And miss me with that bad-faith "game preservation" bullshit argument. This isn't some defunct console from decades ago. It facilitates piracy of software for hardware that are both readily available to purchase. No, you don't get to justify stealing software you want because the hardware it's platformed on isn't as powerful to your liking.

StereoVsn

Hmmm, going to be interesting to see if Nintendo takes any steps with that. Having source code removed from an open source repository could make some serious waves.

They can agree and sign, but that doesn't make it illegal. Doesn't matter. If Nintendo sends a DMCA request to github then no doubt github complies. They are not going to fight that fight.
I don’t know about that. Phil will go: “Remember when you laughed me out of our meeting in Osaka? Well, I remember, bitch!”

And proceeds to fork the source code 10x more.

billionaire-strut-vince-mcmahon.gif

Astray

a7bkmrN.png
a7bkmrN.png
This.

People love touting the hydra stuff, but who is actually gonna make sure the new heads live on? Nintendo got the core Yuzu/Citra team yanked right out of the emulation scene as a whole.

Who knows how many of those people helped with other emu projects?

I believe it was Banjo64 Banjo64 who talked about how Emulators used to be multi-year (sometimes multi-decade) things where years and years would pass until something usable has been made.

The push towards day 1 support for big Nintendo titles has been a disaster imo, and it behooves the emulation community to think about how their collective responsibility can make or break the entire scene. The scene just lost two emulators at once (and the core team that developed both) because of greedy bullshit like this.

Also, how the fuck does an emulator dev team just casually have 2.4m to give to Nintendo?

Senua

Gold Member
Then you obviously didn't read all the way to Section 2. This judgement also applies basically to anyone or any site dealing with Yuzu in any capacity.

Pay for your fucking games, you broke-bitch parasites. And miss me with that bad-faith "game preservation" bullshit argument. This isn't some defunct console from decades ago. It facilitates piracy of software for hardware that are both readily available to purchase. No, you don't get to justify stealing software you want because the hardware it's platformed on isn't as powerful to your liking.
Bjm9j0s.jpg

Topher

Gold Member

Yeah, Yuzu is dead, but this doesn't apply to anyone but Yuzu. Otherwise you'll need to explain how Nintendo and Yuzu can write a document that everyone else in the world has to adhere to.

Pay for your fucking games, you broke-bitch parasites.

lol.....every game I ever played on Yuzu was ripped from a physical copy I owned. Perhaps pull back on stupid assumptions, eh?

It's as if people are expecting developers will unite and start coding to send a message to Nintendo.

Trying to find who was actually implying any of that and I'm somehow missing it.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Also, how the fuck does an emulator dev team just casually have 2.4m to give to Nintendo?
They have an LLC (Limited Liability Company) - meaning they can just declare bankruptcy and dissolve the company, leaving Nintendo to write off the debt. They won't be liable personally, meaning Nintendo can't go after their future paychecks or anything. If their LLC actually had any assets (unlikely), then Nintendo could seek a judgment against those in court to try and help pay down the $2.4m.

Think of it like "How does the player in Monopoly get paid when the poorest player lands on their Boardwalk hotel and loses the game?"

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I fucking hate this take. Yuzu was used to steal games, sometimes before release by millions of people. You have to be a Muppet to not see this is wrong.

Like selling guns in every town in America and being like " oh no it's not the guns that kill people"
Well, some people pirated. Most of those people wouldn’t buy games anyway.

Personally I used Switch emulators to play games that I legally owned (ripped using OG Switch) because their performance was shit on the Switch.

Of course Nintendo was happy to accept the deal even if it is not that much. They look like they were right and struck fear in other emulator developers.

Just imagine what would have happened if that thing would have went to court and Nintendo would have lost, even more emulators would have been made.

Top Bottom