• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

yuzu will pay $2.4 million in damages to Nintendo to settle their lawsuit

ReyBrujo

But by the time it was over, the company had lost so much money, it went bankrupt.
It was a worthless battle too, Bleem! sales were slowing down during the lawsuit because the PS2 had already been announced and even if they had win their sales wouldn't sustain their business (even more considering they were working on a Dreamcast emulator as well, another software that would have sold at most average).

Truly an excellent example of why I don't want to play on Switch.
Finished it with 92% and didn't notice anything wrong with it other than the boring button smashing that looks to be the norm with action games nowadays.

Last edited:

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
To be fair to Nintendo, I get they're embarrassed, their official emulators are dogshit. I'm not surprised they've bullied the smaller but far superior competition out. Anyway, back to re-releasing half-arsed versions of 25 year old games for full price to drooling bags of meat / Nintendo fanboys.
They could have purchased all rights to the emulator for a very cheap price instead of suing and it would have been a win for everyone.

Sleepwalker

I'm skipping the switch 2 if it doesn't have stellar performance tbh. I still play my switch from time to time but it's just such an underwhelming system.

Aside from a few games on the switch, most of the first party franchise of theirs that I enjoyed the most are either dead or became shitty shovelware (star fox, mario party, mario golf, mario strikers, F-Zero, Golden Sun, Fire emblem (yes it's anime garbage nowadays), Pokemon and many more)

Can't really support a company that is not interested in putting out a compelling product for me and that will persecute available alternatives of extracting the extra performance.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
It was a worthless battle too, Bleem! sales were slowing down during the lawsuit because the PS2 had already been announced and even if they had win their sales wouldn't sustain their business (even more considering they were working on a Dreamcast emulator as well, another software that would have sold at most average).

And without the lawsuit, they could have develop other emulators, for different systems.
Emulation is legal. And even big companies use it.

ReyBrujo

They could have purchased all rights to the emulator for a very cheap price instead of suing and it would have been a win for everyone.
Not sure it works like that. But there was a precedent, Sony buying Virtual Game Station company to shut down the emulator.

And without the lawsuit, they could have develop other emulators, for different systems.
Emulation is legal. And even big companies use it.
Counterfactual but I agree with that emulation is legal, it was just yuzu that f*cked it up by being too cocky about their day-0 support, their screenshots of leaked rooms and their 30k monthly Patreon. We will see what the judge says about yuzu and Nintendo agreeing with the fact that using hardware certificates in a software product not created by the copyright owner can be targetted with a DMCA takedown.

Sentenza

No....the Yuzu emulation scene is over. That's all.
I wonder if someone will keep developing some fork. Maybe with a name change and some other expedient to make it clear that there's no direct correlation with the people who were sued by Nintendo.

GHG

Gold Member
Autocorrect does that. lol

Stephen King Reaction GIF by CBS All Access

darrylgorn

Oh good.

Now we can all breathe a sigh of relief, that we can continue to pay for overpriced products without any concern that anyone else could pay less than we have.

*phew*

Topher

Gold Member
I wonder if someone will keep developing some fork. Maybe with a name change and some other expedient to make it clear that there's no direct correlation with the people who were sued by Nintendo.

There are a four thousand forks on github so that is certainly a possibility. If someone does take it up and run with it then I just hope they have learned to keep their head down.

phant0m

Man Fuck Nintendo honestly can't have anything nice.
I put this one on gamers tbh.

Leaking shit early because they could play it on emulator, publishers do NOT take those things lightly.

Gave Nintendo carte blanche to come at them for piracy.

ReyBrujo

Not seeing any press release by Nintendo Japan (not sure if there will be one) although the story is being picked by Japanese outlets (GameSpark got their article in Yahoo! News already).

Sleepwalker

I put this one on gamers tbh.

Leaking shit early because they could play it on emulator, publishers do NOT take those things lightly.

Gave Nintendo carte blanche to come at them for piracy.

I truly do not believe the early leaks were with the object of playing them on emulators, but rather the millions of hacked switches out there lol. In a hacked switch they even have dedicated pirate eshops that distribute these leaks. Sure some people emulated them, but that wasn't the majority.

Yuzu got attacked because they were easily identifiable and were based in the US.

Reallink

Think we should not confuse debating the merits of the case with an expected outcome. Plenty of folks have been saying since this began that Yuzu wouldn't be able to financially fight this fight. Many of us also made the point that Nintendo did not want this to go to court. Folks need to keep in mind that Nintendo did not have to settle here. They did what they set out to do: shut down Yuzu. That's it. We have no more clarity on this from a legal standpoint than we did before,imo.

Problem with that is if this had actually been the meritless open and shut case said experts presented it as, they would have been backed by one of the many Anti-Corporate non-profits that defend "little guys" against this kind of lawfare, or some Libertarian tech bro with more money than God. The fact that they scorched earth'd it with the quickness means they had no one willing to touch it, and multiple legal counsels telling them to burn it down immediately.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Problem with that is if this had actually been the meritless open and shut case said experts presented it as, they would have been backed by one of the many Anti-Corporate non-profits that defend "little guys" against this kind of lawfare, or some Libertarian tech bro with more money than God.

Is that your "expert" analysis? Welcome to this grand society of "internet experts", as you call them.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
- They have been caught doing something else illegal BESIDE working on the emulator (i.e. pirating and distributing ROMs or using stolen code they didn't write in the emulator.
This is my guess as well - and apparently (according to screenshots posted on the previous page presumably from their Discord) they were also indirectly distributing ROMs.

$2.4m is a boatload of cash for the average Joe. Hell that's even nearly 7 years of $30k/month Patreons. Nintendo probably produced the goods and their lawyer probably (smartly) told them to take the settlement deal.

ReyBrujo

I like to refer to it as good ole fashioned common sense and basic deductive reasoning.
Well, I'm not sure Elon Musk would get into that fight unless he wanted to take on Xbox and PlayStation and thought he could buy both Yuzu and Nintendo. There was an Arstechnica article posted in the main thread about the lawsuit where many emulator developers differentiated themselves from these guys so they were sympathetic but more towards "emulation" than "yuzu". I was surprised that they agreed so quickly when they had named a lawyer just a day ago. Looks like they also got common sense and decided not to push it.

Astray

I think the case was strong and discovery was gonna make it stronger, hence the quick settlement so they don't get Bowser'd (horrible outcome, wouldn't wish it on anyone).

ReyBrujo

I think the case was strong and discovery was gonna make it stronger, hence the quick settlement so they don't get Bowser'd (horrible outcome, wouldn't wish it on anyone).

That's a good assumption. They probably have hard drives filled with dumps, same with their own PCs and notebooks.

winjer

Gold Member
Not sure it works like that. But there was a precedent, Sony buying Virtual Game Station company to shut down the emulator.

Counterfactual but I agree with that emulation is legal, it was just yuzu that f*cked it up by being too cocky about their day-0 support, their screenshots of leaked rooms and their 30k monthly Patreon. We will see what the judge says about yuzu and Nintendo agreeing with the fact that using hardware certificates in a software product not created by the copyright owner can be targetted with a DMCA takedown.

It's not counterfactual. Emulation has been several times to court and it has been proven legal every time. So there is legal precedent for this.
The only thing they can't do is use the original bios. It has to be reverse engineered, which is also legal. Or do what most emulators do, and be distributed without the bios and leave it to the user to dump one.
And it's not a matter of games being supported day one. Because emulation is not the same thing as piracy.
Anyone that has a legal game can run it on the original console or an emulator. It is perfectly legal.

Last edited:

Astray

That's a good assumption. They probably have hard drives filled with dumps, same with their own PCs and notebooks.
The discord logs alone would have likely landed Nintendo the case imo.

It's clear they had something incriminating them of at least using illegal materials in finetuning the emulator to support popular titles faster.

Sleepwalker

The discord logs alone would have likely landed Nintendo the case imo.

It's clear they had something incriminating them of at least using illegal materials in finetuning the emulator to support popular titles faster.

Yeah, I think the quick settlement is daming that the team was involved or at the very least gain advantage from illegal material, its wild to me that those messages about having a stash of rom dumps were out in the open. I'm sure they probably had a vault of sorts full of game dumps (wether their own or not is not my place to say) and that would have been pretty damning along with discord providing message history of the users for what were thought to be private conversations.

Doesn't really matter if the illegal material was used towards improving the emulator or if a dev just liked to pirate stuff on his own, just being in possession of it is enough.

CS Lurker

Or do what most emulators do, and be distributed without the bios and leave it to the user to dump one.

Even then, in the end we all know that the devs had to dump a BIOS themselves (or download one) to work on the emu. If they had just reverse engineered one, they would ship it with the emulator.

And it's not a matter of games being supported day one. Because emulation is not the same thing as piracy.

A bit similar to the above. When they have a day one update for the emulator to run a game like TOTK, we all know that they had to download the ROM to work on it. And I'm pretty sure their discord was filled with proof of the crimes.

ReyBrujo

(or download one)

Anyone that has a legal game can run it on the original console or an emulator. It is perfectly legal.
Note that in the PlayStation cases (Bleem and VGS) both emulators required the physical games and you could only play them from a computer using those discs. Downloading a ROM from internet just because you got the physical copy of that game hasn't been proven legal yet as far as I know. It's legal to dump your own games but that's not usually the case (however, IANAL and don't know previous cases with that).

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Even then, in the end we all know that the devs had to dump a BIOS themselves (or download one) to work on the emu. If they had just reverse engineered one, they would ship it with the emulator.

A bit similar to the above. When they have a day one update for the emulator to run a game like TOTK, we all know that they had to download the ROM to work on it. And I'm pretty sure their discord was filled with proof of the crimes.

Reverse engineering is legal, even when having access to the hardware and software.
What is illegal is distribution. Remember that copyright is the right to distribute copyrighted work.

Note that in the PlayStation cases (Bleem and VGS) both emulators required the physical games and you could only play them from a computer using those discs. Downloading a ROM from internet just because you got the physical copy of that game hasn't been proven legal yet as far as I know. It's legal to dump your own games but that's not usually the case (however, IANAL and don't know previous cases with that).

That is a problem for the user. Not the makers of the emulator.
And in case you don't remember, Bleem! did reverse engineer the PlayStation bios. That is why they won the case on all points.

Last edited:
If Nintendo had a leg to sand on, they wouldn’t have settled, you also realise Nintendo went after a company and not individuals, which means they will not be getting a single penny, as the company will just declare bankruptcy, they settled without losing all the money they made, it was a no brainer really.

keefged4

Ryujinx is better than Yuzu at this point, it's too little too late. Citra has matured enough that the vast majority of the library can be played too. This is a massive loss for emulation in general, but it's not the end of the world. It'll be easy enough to find and download Yuzu and Citra, the internet is eternal.

Nintendo presumably will start selling 3ds games again then yes? /s

Mercador

afaik they had a Patreon up where people got special access to nightly builds/early access builds or something in exchange for "donations".
2.4 millions is still a lot of money. For them, not for Nintendo. I guess they can call bankrupt?

Top Bottom