• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zagat burger survey results 2012 edition - medium-rare, ketchup tops rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Jalapeno atop the least favorite toppings list, all's right with the world.

Not enough love for provolone cheese on the cheese list. Medium rare is definitely the way to get a burger if you're going somewhere that uses fresh meat. I'm not going to order a burger at McDonald's or Chili's or something medium rare.

Arment

There's something about ground beef that just makes me want it at least medium well. That's what I always ask for anyways.

Last time I had a medium burger the texture of the inside was so...different...that I couldn't finish it. Made me feel nauseous.

Same. Medium all the way. Anything above that is trash.

Nah. There's nothing about raw/undercooked ground beef that approaches the texture and flavor of good steak, so there's nothing to be gained (and a lot to risk) by consuming it that way.

It's weird that folks keep have bought into the idea that fully cooked burgers are universally dry and tough. Most of the time when I order at a shop that 'recommends medium rare' it's because the cooks there are lazy and just want to move food off their grill quickly to increase turnaround at the tables.

Burgers should NOT be cooked at medium rare. Unlike a steak, where bacteria is strictly on the surface, ground meat is porous (which allows bacteria to penetrate within the meat, not just remain on the outsides) and thus should not be eaten at anything less than Medium. For what it's worth, I eat them medium.

B-Dex

People hating on MAYO and legit cheeses in this thread. SMH.

American cheese is only good for gooey grilled cheese sandwiches. Otherwise keep your Kraft Singles to yourselves.

Arment

My burger is always medium well, ketchup, mayo, tomato, lettuce and american cheese.

Ketchup and mayo combined is a great taste on burger.

American cheese has a handful of good uses.

Burgers are absolutely one of them. Melts absolutely perfectly and swirls with the meaty juices to form a heavenly nectar of the gods. God. Need burger.

Edit:

Ketchup
Mustard
Tomato
Onion
Pickles
American Cheese
Beef
Bun

Glory.

wsippel

Banned
The best "burger" is the steak tartare: Raw, high quality beef, onions, capers, mustard, salt, pepper and raw egg yolk on buttered rye bread. Nothing comes even remotely close.

The best "burger" is the steak tartare: Raw, high quality beef, onions, capers, mustard, salt, pepper and raw egg yolk on buttered rye bread. Nothing comes even remotely close.

I adore steak tartare but it's nothing compared to that perfect burger from your favorite bar.

I like my burgers rare/medium rare and piled high with bacon, tomato, and fried onion straws with a bit of ketchup on each bun. Perfection.

RevDM

Banned
people are eating ground beef medium rare? are you serious?

i'll eat a steak that's still mooing, but ground beef??

I will say that I don't like my burgers getting particularly 'tall' since such sandwiches become incredibly messy in their consumption. 2-3 flavors on the meat including the veg and 1 dressing on the bun, tops. I'm not very picky otherwise.

entremet

Burgers should NOT be cooked at medium rare. Unlike a steak, where bacteria is strictly on the surface, ground meat is porous (which allows bacteria to penetrate within the meat, not just remain on the outsides) and thus should not be eaten at anything less than Medium. For what it's worth, I eat them medium.
I don't have to worry about that. Organic, baby.

way more

Cheese, Please:
Cheddar: 38%
American: 15%
Blue Cheese: 13%
Swiss: 12%
Monterey Jack: 6%

Thank a lot, Obama. Now we are apologizing for our own cheese.

Johnny 4Reelz a second, but that's great. I've never been so proud to shove a grilled patty of meat in my fat fucking face.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Just give me some cheese, occasionally bacon, jalapenos and/or a fried egg, but that's it. To hell with the rest of your toppings and condiments!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom