• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best burger you've ever had?

It's been a while but when I lived in NYC I went around trying out all the burger places in the Zagat guide. There are a lot of awesome burgers in NYC but my favorite was the Burger Joint which is in the lobby of the Parker Meridien hotel. The place basically just has burgers, with or without cheese, and fries on the menu, very simple but really fresh and high quality. I like my burgers medium and that is the way they made them, and they cooked the burgers perfectly every time. Every. Time. That made up for the long waits. Every time I go to NYC that is one of my first stops.

It always bugs me that a lot of burger places now will tell you that the burger is medium and will be pink in the center, but they're always well done. Super Duper Burger annoys me the most because they have signs saying the burger will be pink, the cashiers always warn you it'll be medium, and they're always well done. A well done burger is still good, but dammit don't tell me it's going to be medium and get my hopes up. The consistency at Burger Joint is really incredible.

Vestal

Gold Member
Burgers from the "El Hamburger" in San Juan PR.

Can eat like 4 of these in one sitting, and they are absolutely delicious.

OrRyS4p.jpg

Idk, Kode beef has been one of the few high priced items that really blows out regular and higher priced items in the same space. The only other item I can think of that meets this criteria is probably Kopi Luwak coffee.

Proper Argan Oil---a thousand curses upon the damned cosmetic industry using up the supply without any striving for balance!

Some great burgers in here...my top of all time is relegated to memory and mystery unfortunately, but I will still never forget.

About a decade back, there was, all too briefly, a small independent deli in town---the guy was great and the cuisine was generally classic Americana and diner fare with him tinkering with and at whatever struck his fancy, including burgers as you'd expect.

One time, I was in there with a friend and we had the place to ourselves towards what would later become the sudden end of the line for the place unbeknownst to us. I ordered the usual, standard, no frills big burger---the same I'd had many times and knew he'd been tinkering on the recipe on same as everything else all the while.

When I bit into that burger though, it was like an absolute explosion in my mouth of all that was BEEF---not just in intensity, but sheer volume. Time sort of went odd for a bit, and sure enough I had downed the entire burger before my friend even got 3 bites into his sandwich while he looked on almost as stunned as I was having seen this madness unfold across from him in real time.

I was never able to get any info out from the man as to what in the world he pulled off that day, and even now I can only speculate after years of eyeballing how other all-in places have grappled with it on exotic cuts, using tallow and suet, etc. No other place since has produced anything that has come close on that specific style, that life changing...heightening...experience----but after all these years there is a new place that just might be capable of ringing that bell again even to a different tune that I need to try...

reKon

Banned
au-cheval-in-chicago-u.s.a..jpg

Au Cheval Burger, Au Cheval, Chicago, IL USA

I also go to Small Cheval as well.

I've only had small. Been wanting to go to Au Cheval, but there's never a time that works. Might try to convince my friends that we should go when they visit.

I love Kuma's and Butcher and the Burger.

Euphony

Banned
Also Kuma's from Chicago is top notch.

My favorite fast food burgers goes to Shake Shack.

I went to Kuma's Corner for the first time last week and it was simply amazing, can't wait to go back. I ate outside because the weather was so nice, but next time I'll sit inside and enjoy the heavy metal atmosphere.

One of the best I remember is Thurman's in Columbus, OH. Not only massive, but also damn good.

There is Teak Neighborhood Grill in Orlando, FL. Which is really good. Among some of the best burgers I've had.

And finally, there is Rodeo Goat in the DFW area - specifically Dallas, which is awesome and stand out.

Slo

The Jiffy Blucy at Blue Door Pub in Minneapolis/St. Paul. The burger is filled with bleu cheese & minced garlic, and topped with bacon, pepperjack, crunchy Jif peanut butter, and mayo. It sounds weird but holy shit it's good.

ipJylwj.jpg

Umami Burger was amazing the one time I ate there, too.

Haven't had a Lucy from Blue Door, but I had one at Matt's Bar. Was not impressed. I like the concept of a Lucy in general, just wasn't a fan of that one.

I think its pretty hard to screw up a burger unless you're trying to hard to doctor it up too much, quality beef is where its at.

klee123

Grounded my own beef which consisted of

Chuck 40%
Rib 20%
Sirloin 20%
Brisket 20%

No additives except for salt and pepper during the cooking process and pan fried till just a little pink in the middle.

Added a slice of cheddar cheese on each with mayo, mustard, lettuce, grilled onions, tomatoes on a buttered sesame bread roll.

That was the best burger ever for me.

Slo

As for my best burger, I don't have any pictures and I don't remember the name of the burger, but Cherry Cricket in Denver is world class.

Locally, the Forager Burger from Forager Brewing Company in Rochester, MN. Pickled onions, bleu cheese. Simple and amazing.

RetroMG

Best burger was actually at a Red Robin in Mesa Arizona. It had a fried egg on it, and I don't know what it was, but the whole burger was just so darn good.

Worst burger I ever had was at a place called Pechins near Uniontown, PA. It was 25 cents, and it was overpriced.

I just had mine last week:

The Husk cheeseburger - Husk restaurant in Charleston, SC.

So what's the best burger you've ever had?

OP are you from Charleston? If so right on! I always assumed Husk was super expensive but might need to look that up.

My place around here is Pope's Tavern on Sullivan's Island. Restaurant themed after Edgar Allen Poe with all the burgers references to his stories. I typically get the Tell Tale Heart which had eggs on it.

Not so local is Hans im Glück in Germany. Their burgers are surprisingly yummy (I like to get Speck on mine!) and they come with a cocktail as part of the meal.

Good ol' Lenny's Burger back home in Glendale, AZ.

Lenny's was damn good! I would go to the one on central in Phoenix on my way home from downtown when I lived there.

Ever go to rocket burger?

Rocket Burger was my favorite burger place when I lived in Phoenix!

Rocket size burger:
5669988.0.jpg

Regular burger
o.jpg

Their burgers were amazing. The panko onion rings were fantastic also. There fancy soda selection was awesome also, so much so that they opened a whole soda store next door haha.

yyr

My favorite is the cheeseburger at Donovan's Pub in Woodside, Queens, NY. It's huge, their spice blend is great, the meat is good quality, the cheese is perfect. Order it with sauteed onions on top and it's sublime.

Favorite fast food burger? Definitely In-N-Out by about 10 miles.

Outside of sauces, almost all burgers taste the same. It's why you should always opt to buy the cheapest on the menu because it tastes the same as the best or varied.

This is false.

Gallbaro

Banned
My favorite is the cheeseburger at Donovan's Pub in Woodside, Queens, NY. It's huge, their spice blend is great, the meat is good quality, the cheese is perfect. Order it with sauteed onions on top and it's sublime.

Favorite fast food burger? Definitely In-N-Out by about 10 miles.

This is false.

Fuck Yea!

Fonz72

Used to buy ground kobe beef patties at a gourmet grocery store when I lived in Tucson. Pan fried with a little butter, salt and pepper. Fucking exquisite.

Slo

Outside of sauces, almost all burgers taste the same. It's why you should always opt to buy the cheapest on the menu because it tastes the same as the best or varied.

OT: mcchicken at McDonalds: simple, not messy, and has a good taste that makes you want more.

I honestly don't know how you enjoy life.

matt360

au-cheval-in-chicago-u.s.a..jpg

Au Cheval Burger, Au Cheval, Chicago, IL USA

I also go to Small Cheval as well.

I see several people have quoted this one already, but this is it for me as well. I went to Chicago for the first time this January, and I was absolutely floored by this place. The french fries with the duck fat aioli were also probably the best french fries I've ever had. If you go to Chicago and you're craving a burger, do yourself a favor and go to Au Cheval.

Timeaisis

Cruisers burger with cheese at Cruisers grill in Jacksonville, FL. The most unassuming burger you'll ever eat. Slightly toasted, crunchy bun, lettuce, diced red onions, optional tomato, mustard, cheddar cheese and bacon. That's it.

The patty is the secret. I have no idea what amazing blend they put in that or how they cook it, but it's the most delicious hamburger patty I've ever eaten. The outside of the patty is slightly crisp, as if it as grilled almost too long, but not quite, because the inside is perfectly medium, thick and juicy. Just has this flavor I've never had since, and probably never will again.

And that mustard and diced onions combined with the crispy, toasted bun go a long way in sealing in the perfection.

I want one right now.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
My current fave is the Mushroom Melt from Big Orange in Little Rock, AR:

Havarti Cheese
White American Cheese
Sautéed Mushrooms
Caramelized Onion
Aïoli

For something more traditional, I love the King Kone in Hot Springs, AR

Double Bacon Cheeseburger, Frito Pie, Chocolate Shake--the usual stuff

Best one I had in a while was the Ghost Burger at the Pioneer Saloon, in Goodsprings Nevada. Went there during a road trip around various Fallout New Vegas spots, we really didn't expect the burgers to be so damn good.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't had a Lucy from Blue Door, but I had one at Matt's Bar. Was not impressed. I like the concept of a Lucy in general, just wasn't a fan of that one.
Matt's Bar is okay. Blue Door is way better, though. I've still never been to the Nook. Maybe this weekend.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

OT: mcchicken at McDonalds: simple, not messy, and has a good taste that makes you want more.

You should know that this is deeply weird and objectively wrong.

sapples

Neo Member
Guy Fieri's Bacon and Cheddar Cheese Beef Patties. Seriously Amazing.

The worst most overpriced burger I ever had? Five Guys.

Home Ground Burger
-50% Bacon
-50% Chuck
Cheddar Cheese
Fried Egg
Grilled Jalapeño
Homemade Habenero BBQ Sauce
Tomato
Lettuce
Onion
Toasted Cheddar Bun

There aren't too many Burger joints in my town, especially compared to the US I'd assume, but from the few we've got in my city that aren't Burger King and McDonalds, the best one I've tried has been John's Burgers. It's run by some american dude. Good stuff but a bit expensive. - Kiel, Germany

milanbaros

Member?
Generally any burger that you can order rare/medium rare will be tend to be pretty good. Over done burgers are a crime and show absolutely no faith in the quality of meat.

DSC_3524.JPG

Honest Burger is my favourite.

My favorite was the Roo Burger at Matilda's in Newark, DE. Unfortunately, they changed their name and menu, and now the burger is gone. No need to go back, now.

The search for my new favorite continues. There was one I really liked in Ottawa, and one in southern Maryland.

TaterTots

Banned
Best burger I've ever had? One I've mad with a ridiculous amount of burger on a grill and condiments I like. I know me better than restaurants.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Bleeker St. in London is real good, though I haven't had their Black Pudding Burger which is supposedly otherworldly good.

exchange.0.jpg

The Exchange Burger is insane. Get one of these dudes, have an egg added as a topping. Boom. Welcome to Louisville. Get some bourbon while you're here.

traveler

Not Wario
The Bird in Jackson Hole has the absolute best burger I've ever had although Sante Fe/Bobcat Bites in Sante Fe comes close.

Been fairly disappointed in the downgrade I've had in burgers since moving from Ga to Seattle. Fred's and H&Fs burgers are better than anything here. Have enjoyed 8 oz and Lil Woodys though.

Top Bottom