• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zagat releases results on its first ever pizza survey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatalah

091508exterior.jpg

Best dollar pizza for me ;3

75 cents a slice near Bryant Park!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
$16 for a pizza? wut?

It's virtually impossible to get pizza around here (NYC) for less than $14 for a plain pizza and at least $16 for one topping. Well, halfway decent pizza anyway. You can order from Dominos for less.

Of course, slices are a different matter entirely. You can get those pretty cheap.

Fatalah

o_o And it's good? Say whaaaaaaaattt

It's actually better than you would ever think! It's normal! I go there for my pizza lunch days, slices are always fresh out the oven! (usually because the line is always moving with customers!)

NGAMER9

The average person eats pizza roughly once a week?? That's the most mind-boggling part of this whole survey for me.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I had a Godfathers mini deep dish earlier today. It was pretty good. But I prefer NY-style thin crust.

Interesting survey.

What's so great about pepperoni anyway

It's delicious? Just like bacon, sausage, ham, and almost ALL pork products?

On another note, I'm seeing lots of new york style and chicago deep-dish fans here. Personally, I'd take a nicely charred brick oven style pizza over either of those.

Kisaya

I've just never heard of people eating pizza with a fork and knife.

Even with 2, 3, or more toppings I'm still able to eat pizza flat/folded

Not all people like to eat superior flat pizza unfortunately :/

Who really cares if they need a fork and knife anyway, that's just how they roll ;p

Jhoan

75 cents a slice near Bryant Park!

Say what? I get the dollar pizzas from the 99 cent Pizza store down by 48th and Broadway whenever I'm around the area and have a hunger pang. If it's there past 7 tomorrow, I'll definitely walk and grab a couple of slices.

How is pineapple one of the worst toppings? Every time my brothers and I order Dominoes, we order a pineapple and ham pie; it's fantastic. Otherwise Papa John's peperoni is fantastic. Hell, peperoni pizza in general is great. All this talk of pizza makes me want to go buy a box from Little Caesars since there's no dinner here.

I'm a bit annoyed that #3 on the list of top New York pizza was called a "dump," and looking at pictures, it's clearly better looking than any of the pizza shops in my neighborhood.

Plus, assuming the listed price was price per pie, all of the pizzas on that list are very expensive. If you regularly spend more than $14 on a pie of pizza (and that's pretty high), then you're probably doing it wrong. The cheapest on that list was $18, the place I mentioned.

It's virtually impossible to get pizza around here (NYC) for less than $14 for a plain pizza and at least $16 for one topping. Well, halfway decent pizza anyway. You can order from Dominos for less.

Of course, slices are a different matter entirely. You can get those pretty cheap.

There are some dollar pizza places that popped up here recently where you can get a pie for $8 and a topping for $2 extra. It's good pizza, too, much better than the big chain pizzas.

Boss Man

The average person eats pizza roughly once a week?? That's the most mind-boggling part of this whole survey for me.
I do easily, but that still surprised me a lot as well. People eat more pizza when they have less money, I think. It's one of those things (there's a word for it) that actually do better when the economy sucks.

painey

honestly.. I just do not understand the love for Pepperoni.. it's so fucking disgusting unless you are paying for expensive, gourmet pizza. My girlfriend is American and fucking loves it, but I have to peel the greasy, salty, oily slices off before I can eat a slice.

And wtf, Chicken at #5 for grossest?

What should take its place ? I don't think there are many "gross" toppings. But I think chicken made the list because it's very non-traditional.

Broccoli on pizza is out there.

Olives while traditional, are an ingredient that some people don't like. They have a strong flavor. I love them. Black, green, I've even had kalmata olives on pizza. Yummy.

I like pineapple + bacon pizza too, but I know a lot don't like pineapple on pizza.

Tapiozona

Banned
Best Pizza in America is in Phoenix. Suck it NY and Chicago...

Pizzeria Bianco has been rated as the best pizza in the US by Bon Appétit,[14] the New York Times,[1] Vogue,[3] and Rachel Ray
first 2 carry the most weight obviously.

bianco_01.jpg

Only problem is the wait times. 4 hours on Fridays, otherwise usually 2+ hours no matter the day or holiday.

Kisaya

TheNatural

My Member!
What should take it's place ? I don't think there are many "gross" toppings. But I think chicken made the list because it's very non-traditional.

Olives are a topping that some people don't like. I do.

I like pineapple + bacon pizza too, but I know a lot don't like pineapple on pizza.

Same here. And chicken on regular pizza I can see it, its great with barbeque pizza though.

Olives with everything = great. Pineapple with bacon = fucking awesome.

Ham to me doesn't fit on most pizzas, should be on the list. Spinach as well. Also any time you get frozen pizzas, the sausage on there tastes more like crappy hamburger. It's on my top 5 for that specific type, but the real deal on hand made pizzas is good.

Well yeah... but I wouldn't call it the best topping. And while I'm at it, olives and mushrooms are gross.

Pepperoni can differ in quality. It's best when it's a bit spicy and gets really crispy.

Olives are great but only with certain combinations of toppings. Mushrooms have a great flavor but a terrible texture and if they're canned they end up making the pizza soggy.

Akainu

That is interesting I didn't know women had such bad taste :p. FUCK MUSHROOMS!!! Things taste like earth. Every time you eat a mushroom you might as well just grab a hand full of dirt and shove it in your mouth. How are pineapples worse than mushrooms?

thcsquad

I've just never heard of people eating pizza with a fork and knife.

Even with 2, 3, or more toppings I'm still able to eat pizza flat/folded

It's not about number of toppings, it's about depth, and this thread really illuminates the ignorance most people have towards deep dish. This is the kind of pizza we eat in Chicago.

072711-FOOD-1+-+Chicago+Deep+Dish+Pizza.jpg

Still surprised people eat with a fork and knife?

It's not about number of toppings, it's about depth, and this thread really illuminates the ignorance most people have towards deep dish. This is the kind of pizza we eat in Chicago.

072711-FOOD-1+-+Chicago+Deep+Dish+Pizza.jpg

Still surprised people eat with a fork and knife?

That's not pizza, that's a fucking casserole!

Mushrooms have a great flavor but a terrible texture and if they're canned they end up making the pizza soggy.

Something I noticed, many east coast pizzerias only use or frequently offer canned mushrooms as an option.

Out west, it's rare to find a place not exclusively using fresh mushrooms.

PlayDat

I'll never understand people who fold their pizza. What's the rush? I eat my pizza flat because I like to take some time and enjoy the taste of it.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Style Smackdown: The 10 Most Popular Types of Pizza

1. NY-style thin crust
2. Brick oven
3. Neapolitan
4. Chicago-style deep dish
5. Sicilian
6. White pizza
7. Grilled pizza
8. Sheet pan
9. Stuffed
Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif

jman2050

1. A deep-dish pizza that's too big to eat with your hands is not pizza.

2. Eating pizza with knife and fork is like eating cookies or sandwiches with a knife and fork. You just don't do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom