• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Albo

Won't be able to play this till late december at the earliest :( but with the game turning out so good, and aonuma teasing about MM connections, I'm so eager I might have to just spoil myself...Ugh

Any idea how much GAME (UK) give in trade-in value for an OG 3DS? It's in pretty good condition.

You cn check here but should be around £60 or so quid boxed (it's around the same price at cex). If you happen to have a DSI that you want to trade in store, you can get £50 off a 3ds xl or 2ds apparently before the 28th nov according to the 4th slide on that GAME page.

and I *really* would like to play another LttP-style game. I'm just not sold.

And you go off one review despite the fact everything else has displayed this to be the case. You're literally missing out on something you'd really like to do. Doesn't affect me, just think it's poor judgement. As I pointed out before, the guy's all over the place with what he wants out of the series.

He wants Wii U Zelda to take inspiration from a game he gives 6.5 to. I don't... it makes no sense.

Also... the Minish Cap is about as boring and standard a Zelda you can get. If he thinks LttP2 has "no heart"...

Rich!

Not when I have 60+ downloadable games no :)

Wow : CeX is way better, but I guess you can't trade in for a brand new unit there.

No...but you can trade for more cash than you'd get for credit if you went to GAME, and then take that cash to GAME to buy the new copy.

And thankfully it does. I didn't preorder this game just because I expected this game to be...exactly what the Destructoid reviewer detailed.

I just want the game to be as good or better than Minish Cap...and I *really* would like to play another LttP-style game. I'm just not sold.

*feel free to keep hype train and happiness moving along though* :)

The only A Link To The Past you're going to get is the one that originally came out. Nintendo has some connections to nostalgia from ALTTP but ALBW is more about new elements than trying to remake the previous title

Reclaimer

Very excited to play! But that art direction.... Ehhhhhh. I'm not sure if it's just bland or legitimately ugly. Guess I'll find out in a week!

Also, bravo on the thread title. :)

Woffls

Videogamer's 10 is missing from the OT, and the Gamesradar score should be out of 5 rather than 10 :) Incidentally, Videogamer did an outstanding Zelda podcast this week, so I really recommend giving that a listen.

Despite being a huge fan of modern Zelda games, but I just never took the time to play Link to the Past, Link's Awkening etc.

What makes me really want to play this game is to understand the change in Nintendo's thinking regarding traditional Zelda mechanics. That alone has sold this game to me. Not sure I want to pay for the CE, though. Throw an OST download in maybe...

I dunno if I like the idea of renting items. To me the best parts of a Zelda game are going into a dungeon and then finding an item. And once you leave that dungeon you start to see the world around you slightly differently as the items you get will often let you reach places you couldnt earlier.

Just finding them all in a shop early on will kill that feeling.

I kinda feel the same way about finding items in dungeons. But I'm still getting and playing the heck out of this game.

Never read the reviews because I don't want to get too spoiled, but, will there be more items/equipment not found on the rental shop?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
And thankfully it does. I didn't preorder this game just because I expected this game to be...exactly what the Destructoid reviewer detailed.

I just want the game to be as good or better than Minish Cap...and I *really* would like to play another LttP-style game. I'm just not sold.

*feel free to keep hype train and happiness moving along though* :)

so what you're going to do, besides buying the game and trying it out for yourself? You're of course free to do whatever you wish, but when a game gets one mediocre vote out of 20+ stellar ones, i'd also question the validity of said review

Cannata's opinion on this from this week's weekend confirmed means I'll have t pre-order. I did not expect both 3D world and ALBW to be unskipable :(

For real. His enthusiasm for it sent my hype into outer space. This Friday can't get here fast enough.

Is anyone else thinking of going to the XBox One midnight release to pick it up?

Videogamer's 10 is missing from the OT, and the Gamesradar score should be out of 5 rather than 10 :) Incidentally, Videogamer did an outstanding Zelda podcast this week, so I really recommend giving that a listen.

Despite being a huge fan of modern Zelda games, but I just never took the time to play Link to the Past, Link's Awkening etc.

What makes me really want to play this game is to understand the change in Nintendo's thinking regarding traditional Zelda mechanics. That alone has sold this game to me. Not sure I want to pay for the CE, though. Throw an OST download in maybe...

You absolutely need to buy Link's Awakening. It's familiar and unique in all the right ways.

GAME sent me my LADX download code, I guess that means they won't cancel my ALBW pre-order. Or they can cancel and I'll have a free code I guess :/

Forkball

I can't believe this comes out the same day as 3D World. I'm going to admit, I'm one of those OoT > LttP guys. Maybe because I played it later than most people, but I prefer many other Zelda games to it. This game looks like it has some amazing ideas so I will pick it up for sure.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/82057/weekend-confirmed-191-ps4-launch-super-mario-3d-world

It is a gaming podcast hosted by Garnett Lee and Jeff Cannata. The conversation about the ALBW and Super Mario 3D World is near the end.

Edit: the ALBW talk starts at 98:40 into the podcast. I think the whole show is good though.
I've been looking for a new gaming podcast... Podtoid was good, but... not about games.
GAME sent me my LADX download code, I guess that means they won't cancel my ALBW pre-order. Or they can cancel and I'll have a free code I guess :/

You ever played LADX before? :D

Is this episode worth listening to? Weekend Confirmed isn't normally on my podcast rotation.

I enjoyed it, but I like it normally. My go to gaming podcasts are Giant Bomb, Idle Thumbs, 8-4 and Weekend Confirmed. Like I said though their conversation about ALBW and SM3DW (particularly Jeff Cannata's enthusiasm) got me even more hyped than I was.

zroid

Banned
I enjoyed it, but I like it normally. My go to gaming podcasts are Giant Bomb, Idle Thumbs, 8-4 and Weekend Confirmed. Like I said though their conversation about ALBW and SM3DW (particularly Jeff Cannata's enthusiasm) got me even more hyped than I was.

Cool. I liked WC well enough the few times I've listened, it's just one too many podcasts, y'know? :p

From watching many episodes of TRS, I know how infectious Jeff's enthusiasm can be!

Woah they describe it as the "best looking 3DS game". I'm the first to defend the graphical style, but...

maybe 'cause of its use of 3D? it certainly does seem to be about as good as games get in that department.

And you go off one review despite the fact everything else has displayed this to be the case. You're literally missing out on something you'd really like to do. Doesn't affect me, just think it's poor judgement. As I pointed out before, the guy's all over the place with what he wants out of the series.

He wants Wii U Zelda to take inspiration from a game he gives 6.5 to. I don't... it makes no sense.

Also... the Minish Cap is about as boring and standard a Zelda you can get. If he thinks LttP2 has "no heart"...

It's not poor judgment at all. What's the difference between this game having 1 score that different from the rest when 19 out of the other 20 are fantastic...and a game like Call of Duty or Ocarina of Time which has the same spread?

The question isn't whether one review has holes (which is a valid point as you mentioned the Wii U Zelda)...it's really whether the other 19 are using significantly different parameters to measure quality or greatness than I am.

If you would read my backlog posts, you would see that I have plenty to do in this genre anyway.

Gartooth

I have to admit for as many Zelda games as I've played, I've never finished ALTTP. Would you guys recommend going back and playing through it before playing this game?

It's not poor judgment at all. What's the difference between this game having 1 score that different from the rest when 19 out of the other 20 are fantastic...and a game like Call of Duty which has the same spread?

The question isn't whether one review has holes (which is a valid point)...it's really whether the other 19 are using significantly different parameters to measure quality than I am.

If you would read my backlog posts, you would see that I have plenty to do in this genre anyway.

"Plenty to do in this genre"? I'm having a hard time understanding you. I'm not saying that the score itself is wrong, I'm saying the reasoning behind it is shoddy. Call of Duty might also have a wide spread of scores (though FYI it's never this clean cut, it's more mixed), but that's where the similarity ends.

What parameters of quality are you looking for exactly?

502t7d8f.gif

This and Ace Attorney DLC on thursday, I can't get a break on that beasting 3DS

lolol nextgen home consoles, step your fucking game up already

takriel

Finally got it! Just entered the second dungeon. Feel free to pm me any question if you want to know something about the beginning!

502t7d8f.gif

This and Ace Attorney DLC on thursday.

lolol nextgen home consoles, step your fucking game up already

images

... seriously. No, I shouldn't, I'm barely into the 2nd case :\ Had no time to play. I shall make time for Zelda!

Finally got it! Just entered the second dungeon. Feel free to pm me any question if you want to know something about the beginning!

This isn't really spoilery but... is the shield assigned to a seperate button? I hate LttP's auto shield compared to the GB games.

"Plenty to do in this genre"? I'm having a hard time understanding you. I'm not saying that the score itself is wrong, I'm saying the reasoning behind it is shoddy. Call of Duty might also have a wide spread of scores (though FYI it's never this clean cut, it's more mixed), but that's where the similarity ends.

What parameters of quality are you looking for exactly?

Fair enough. The Call of Duty was a placeholder name and nothing more - sorry about that.

For me...it's whether I'll have fun with it or not as a whole (and sadly, my backlog makes buying new games a little bit harder in theory). This isn't an XSeed game or Atlus game or indie game where I would buy to support the series even if I had some lingering questions which usually sort themselves out in those cases.

I do have questions about its difficulty, its approach of getting items early, and the 3D puzzles which turn me off. I'm not sold I would enjoy this more than Minish Cap.

EDIT - in fact, I wouldn't know where I would put in on the enjoyment scale with what I've seen gameplay-wise.

Sorian

Banned
So upset, was in Wal-Mart yesterday with my family and decided to go take a peek at the games section like I always do just for fun. Noticed that they had stocked the gold and black zelda 3ds xl. Turned on my dumb routine and asked the girl in electronics to get that one from the case for me. Of course, the computer system gave her issue when she went to scan it but she already felt bad because she had to make me wait quite a bit to help me because of some problem customers before so her thought was that the system wasn't reading it properly and she was going to have a manager override it. At this point, I figure it depends completely on whether or not she finds a manager who knows anything about electronics (my gf works for wal-mart in the cosmetics department and her manager, for example, could have overwritten the machine but would have had no idea what the prompt meant). So she strolls off and another guy who works there who had been working on setting up someone's phone service looks over and says "oh, maybe that got stocked early and we shouldn't be selling it, let's check the walm-mart website and see if it is to buy or pre-order." At this point, I see the girl walking back and try to distract by saying we should see if she found a manager first since I know the internet will automatically kill my attempts. Unfortunately, the girl had no luck finding a manager and the internet proves to be my downfall. Sadness.

It's my understanding that the zelda edition comes with a download code instead of being pre-installed with the game so nintendo may not have let me get the game off of their server anyway but it would have been worth a try.

TL;DR Saw the zelda 3ds xl out for sale a week early, tried to con wal-mart into selling it to me based on their mistake, got shot down after things were looking up, such sadness, much pain, wow

I do have questions about its difficulty, its approach of getting items early, and the 3D puzzles which turn me off. I'm not sold I would enjoy this more than Minish Cap.

That's fair enough, but... if that's your parameter for enjoyment, Minish Cap is pretty much auto-Zelda in terms of its difficulty.

maxcriden

I have to admit for as many Zelda games as I've played, I've never finished ALTTP. Would you guys recommend going back and playing through it before playing this game?

Depends how psyched you are to play this new game now. I don't think there's any harm in playing this one immediately, and first, but from what I understand the maps have some significant similarities so whichever you play first, you might want to wait quite a while before playing the other one so it doesn't feel too similar or fresh in your mind. In the meantime, all of the other 2D handheld Zeldas are terrific and well worth playing.

maxcriden

That's fair enough, but... if that's your parameter for enjoyment, Minish Cap is pretty much auto-Zelda in terms of its difficulty.

Even if MC isn't a terribly hard Zelda game, I do think it's an extremely fun and charming one. I think the Kinstone side quest is one of the best Zelda side quests. Also, the Wind Waker style artwork looked great translated to the GBA.

That's true indeed.

And thank you as well. You made me think about my stance as well and made me re-read the article. I'm still about the same position as I was before, but I understand more now.

BY2K

Membero Americo
God damn, the Lorule Overworld music.

People aren't kidding when they say the soundtrack of this game is Soundtrack of the Year worthy.

Frolow

Banned
@BroBuzz, please use the ACTUAL box art of the game, not the outdated one that still has the NN logo.

Here:

616kBYsa2jL.jpg

Feel free to also use the JP box:
Thanks! I was looking for a high-quality version of the newer boxart, but by the time I completed the OT it was already 2 AM and I just wanted to go to bed.

God damn, the Lorule Overworld music.

People aren't kidding when they say the soundtrack of this game is Soundtrack of the Year worthy.

The theme sooong to the Dark World, it's a dark place that's menacinngg and darrrrk (really dark)... and on topic, oh my god it's beautiful. Can't find a clean version without the SFX unfortunately... Nintendo need to come out with an OST for this, and not as some Club Nintendo reward that's there for 5 minutes, as an actual purchase with real money.

Ok, can somebody help me? Sorry that it's off-topic.

Certain pics from minus.com, I just cannot see on GAF at all. Even some of my own, and it only seems to happen with this laptop.

I bring this up now because I cannot see a single image in the OP. :(

Top Bottom