• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda New 3DS XL consoles canceled by Best Buy for those who ordered more than one

I'm not bothering with all this hassle. Mostly because I already have a PAL New XL which cost me only around £170 back in November. £230 for the MM one, even with the game included, is ridiculous.

As posted in the other MM thread, what I'm going to do is just wait until a faulty MM XL appears for cheap on ebay and buy it. I'll then swap the top and bottom plates round with the ones on my current NEW XL. Done.

Bottom plate is a non issue to replace (same method as the regular size N3DS, completely exchangeable), top one needs a bit more effort but even so. And yes, its doable - I posted a writeup on how to do it in another thread.

If anyone is interested I could always do a thread in the future that explains how to replace the top and bottom plates of the New XL. It's not that useful right now, but it will be once replacement parts become available on ebay. And the nice black inner colour of the black New XL means that any outer colour will go nicely with it.
I'd be interested to know of you know about swapping OG 3DS shells?

haha target always updates /lists item at like 3-5 am , aint nobody got time for that

would have liked an extra to horde x keep sealed but i am happy with one :)

faridmon

Good, I support this.

Also for people who are saying they are buying it for their kids and family as well, can't they buy them another LE 3DS Console down the line (Monster Hunter one is also coming) or just... go with a regular one? 2 LEs of the same type in a single households won't feel as special after all.

Bar81

Why this was not done/mandated by NOA in the first place is ridiculous. NOA is run by monkeys confirmed.

RPGCrazied

Good. That should be the new law when it comes to CE's, LE's or stuff like limited edition consoles. 1 per account/household address.

Fireblend

Banned
Smart move from Best Buy. I'm curious though, will this make the consoles even more expensive on eBay? Considering less people will be willing to give up the only one they have.

CRA5H

I understand if they cancelled more than 2 but what about those who ordered one for their selves and maybe one for their kid? If they limited it at the time of check out to one per order, that would make it easier for the customers and avoids all this hassle.

Koppai

haha target always updates /lists item at like 3-5 am , aint nobody got time for that

would have liked an extra to horde x keep sealed but i am happy with one :)
That really is a bunch of bullshit. I can't stay up all night hoping for shit to go in stock. My friend is pissed because when he called they said they wouldn't be taking orders. *rolls eyes* fucking Target ...

DryvBy

Kinda sucks. I got mine, but my friend I ordered for is now out of luck. Next wave of scalpers will be on these asap.

Koppai

Now just to watch. Go check ebay for lots of new scalp posts -.-

Guess no one posted it on gaf for fear of scalpers...boooooo

TheGamer

I just saw this thread and read through the pages. It seams that Target placed some more stock up, but did Bestbuy take some more orders in last night or do people think there might be a chance to get one today.

Fireblend

Banned
I just saw this thread and read through the pages. It seams that Target placed some more stock up, but did Bestbuy take some more orders in last night or do people think there might be a chance to get one today.

It's still unknown whether they cancelled them because they suddenly decided to screw over scalpers and help people who wanted the console for themselves, or whether they realized they won't have enough stock for all preorders and this was just the first measure of reducing their preorders. I think the first is likely though, hopefully they start selling them again so others can grab their own console.

Draconian

lol Who knows? Expecting the tiny bit of openness from Nintendo or these retailers about what's going on is like expecting world peace to happen.

Koppai

Best Buy isn't that nice. If they were receiving enough for all the preorders they would send it out. But they aren't so they are cutting duplicate orders. Now to jusy keep our eyes glued to Target now. X.x

_PM

Well, my roommate ordered 3 for me, him and another friend and now we are left with just one. “Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few", I guess.

I understand if they cancelled more than 2 but what about those who ordered one for their selves and maybe one for their kid? If they limited it at the time of check out to one per order, that would make it easier for the customers and avoids all this hassle.

Don't post that kind of stuff here. People will tell you what your kid should or shouldn't have.

This sure is sad to have to be told what you can or cannot do with your money. I like to get different ones for myself, my husband, and my kids, but sometimes more than one in the household wants the same one.

Blablurn

Imagine you ordered 5. And sold them already on Ebay

p1kx90C.png

What bad position are they in? No majoras mask 3ds's have become available from another retailer since Best Buy was selling them. So it's not like anyone passed the opportunity to get one because they thought they were taken care of. They are literally in exactly the same position they would be in if best buy had only let them order one. Most likely best buy sold more than they had and rather than cancel orders where only one was ordered, they went after multiples. Makes sense, right? You upset less people that way. Cancel the order of the guy who ordered ten instead of nine people who ordered one.

It's easy to say that, but you don't know any of the circumstances. For example, what if i had 2 children and I ordered 2 and paid for both. Then, I told my children "Look at this amazing new 3DS XL I ordered for your Birthday. It's a special edition from your favorite video game series Zelda!". I could use a similar scenario for my Wife and Myself. Look sweetie, I just ordered us both a new 3DS XL. Look it's from Zelda, our favorite series!

Now that Best Buy cancels it they could be in a position to have to explain that they both aren't getting the new 3DS XL that they were told they were getting.

The point is, you, I, or anyone else doesn't know the circumstances in which some of these orders were placed and this could hurt legitimate customers who's only intention was buying it for themselves or family.

As I mentioned above, I understand what they are trying to do, but it would have been better to limit the orders to 1 per address/account/IP/whatever from the very beginning. Honestly, it's really unfortunate how these pre-orders have been handled and taken advantage of. I truly hope Nintendo starts offering these types of items similar to the n3DS Amassador Editions in Europe.

Edit:
Full Discolsure, as I mentioned in my first post in this thread, this doesn't affect me as I did get a Pre-Order in at Gamestop.

coolbrys

The overwhelming assumption that it was just scalpers who ordered more than one makes me want to explain my side. I personally ordered two because my brother wanted one badly and was at work - he even went to GS to try and in store order but they had sold out already, so he got a MH bundle instead. When the Best Buy page went live, I quickly ordered two so he could get one.

I definitely understand Best Buy doing this, and I am not angry. However, to be automatically assumed a "worthless scalper" feels like the whole situation is not really being considered. Just understand that there are legitimate reasons that would have resulted in a N3DSXL going to the the right amount of people for the right amount of money.

The overwhelming assumption that it was just scalpers who ordered more than one makes me want to explain my side. I personally ordered two because my brother wanted one badly and was at work - he even went to GS to try and in store order but they had sold out already, so he got a MH bundle instead. When the Best Buy page went live, I quickly ordered two so he could get one.

I definitely understand Best Buy doing this, and I am not angry. However, to be automatically assumed a "worthless scalper" feels like the whole situation is not really being considered. Just understand that there are legitimate reasons that would have resulted in a N3DSXL going to the the right amount of people for the right amount of money.

There will be cases like yours that are affected negatively because of this but I think on the whole this is a great way to help stop scalpers claiming them all. Scalpers have ruined it for those that are genuinly wanting to buy one for family/friends and it's those people that should be the target of any anger seeing as it's their fault that it is the way it is.

Kudos to BB for doing this.

SCReuter

My heart and prayers go out to all the families that now have to live in a household with only one Limited Edition Majora's Mask decal. :-(

Seth

Pretty shitty of those of you saying good. I ordered 2. One for me and for for a friend of mine and one of those were canceled. Not everyone ordering more than one is scalping. An order of several is likely suspicious. But i ordered two units. Huge haul to scalp huh? So now either I don't' get one or i tell me friend hes not getting one.

Had they stated on the page it was one per customer upfront I would have no problem with it. But im pretty sure it didn't. Fuck best buy.

Seth

Meant to post this to, an email from their customer service. Sounds to me like they didn't have enough supply.

I'm sorry to hear the Nintendo New 3DS XL Legend of Zelda Majoras Mask Limited Edition GoldBlack you ordered has been canceled. I understand that can be quite disappointing. Let me give you more information on how to move forward with this.

We understand that having enough supply to meet the needs of every customer is crucial in this business. However, problems with having sufficient stash of products may sometimes arise from time to time due to external factors we don't have control of. Consequently, we are working hard on making all items available in the future

Read the whole thread.

BB likely isn't doing this because of scalpers, but because they aren't getting enough supply to fill all the orders they got.

Conjecture incoming:

I agree. What I think happened was that Best Buy took so many orders, sent the number to Nintendo and Nintendo 'Nope, we have this many we can send you, figure it out'.

Hence, Best Buy scrambling to fulfill (any way they can) a limited amount being provided.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Except that good scalper wouldn't have done that in this case, because no purchase limits were announced until long, long after the orders were made. This was the best way to do it, just surprise the scalpers when it's too late to break out multiple accounts.

Yeah, I love it!

Rodolink

Conjecture incoming:

I agree. What I think happened was that Best Buy took so many orders, sent the number to Nintendo and Nintendo 'Nope, we have this many we can send you, figure it out'.

Hence, Best Buy scrambling to fulfill (any way they can) a limited amount being provided.

I think thats the deal

Top Bottom