• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda New 3DS XL consoles canceled by Best Buy for those who ordered more than one

This is a good move because the item will sell out regardless and best buy looks good doing it. Other retailers should be bullish about shutting down resellers as well.

Coflash

A good scalper would order them separately under different aliases anyway, using different payment methods.

Even if they start cracking down on it more now than before, there are still various ways around it.

I ordered two, except I got my wife to order the other.

Megatron

My main problem with that is they should have not accepted the order in the first place for more than 1. Once they accepted the original order they left those who may legitimately want 2 for family in a bad position.

It's a bad situation all around honestly. I just wish there was a better way they could handle these types of items.

What bad position are they in? No majoras mask 3ds's have become available from another retailer since Best Buy was selling them. So it's not like anyone passed the opportunity to get one because they thought they were taken care of. They are literally in exactly the same position they would be in if best buy had only let them order one. Most likely best buy sold more than they had and rather than cancel orders where only one was ordered, they went after multiples. Makes sense, right? You upset less people that way. Cancel the order of the guy who ordered ten instead of nine people who ordered one.

SRTtoZ

I wish I had friends as good as some of you. Caring about my pre-orders and even letting your credit cards get holds because of an extra Zelda system. <3

A good scalper would order them separately under different aliases anyway, using different payment methods.

Even if they start cracking down on it more now than before, there are still various ways around it.

I wanted the Bravely Second Collector's Pack (limited to 1 piece per customer), but my reseller had already placed a pre-order for another customer. I got them to use a different account and pre-order a piece for me too. This policy does nothing to deter resellers, unless they're extremely disorganized ones.

Jamix012

Well, this is still a step in the right direction. Making it more difficult to scalp should help somewhat.

hawk2025

Szelda64, I don't know why the hell you decided to use your first post on GAF to tell us about this, but you are a fucking boss.

Thank you.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
my issue is that, as they often do in Japan for big launches, retailers should decide this BEFORE putting up preorders.

szelda64

Neo Member

Except that good scalper wouldn't have done that in this case, because no purchase limits were announced until long, long after the orders were made. This was the best way to do it, just surprise the scalpers when it's too late to break out multiple accounts.

Rich!

I'm not bothering with all this hassle. Mostly because I already have a PAL New XL which cost me only around £170 back in November. £230 for the MM one, even with the game included, is ridiculous.

As posted in the other MM thread, what I'm going to do is just wait until a faulty MM XL appears for cheap on ebay and buy it. I'll then swap the top and bottom plates round with the ones on my current NEW XL. Done.

Bottom plate is a non issue to replace (same method as the regular size N3DS, completely exchangeable), top one needs a bit more effort but even so. And yes, its doable - I posted a writeup on how to do it in another thread.

If anyone is interested I could always do a thread in the future that explains how to replace the top and bottom plates of the New XL. It's not that useful right now, but it will be once replacement parts become available on ebay. And the nice black inner colour of the black New XL means that any outer colour will go nicely with it.

Top Bottom