• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda U/NX promo image leaks from Amazon.com

Which is completely relative to the amount of unique content inside the world, not the physical size. After all, games like Dark Souls feel absolutely huge and dense, whereas games like Fallout 4 can feel empty and devoid of anything meaningful to do.
Yeah, I added to it a few posts later. I honestly don't care about how huge it is, but what's in it.

I'd rather have a lake as deep as the ocean instead of the ocean as deep as a puddle

zoukka

Yeah, I added to it a few posts later. I honestly don't care about how huge it is, but what's in it.

I'd rather have a lake as deep as the ocean instead of the ocean as deep as a puddle

Yeah even though this game has been advertised as "open", I doubt Nintendo would steer too far from the basic 3D Zelda formula and amount of content. I mean for a collector, even Ocarina of Time has plenty of relevant game time.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
remember what uncle said at the beggining of a link to the past:

Zelda is your......your...... ..........

Maybe link is just bait. Not necesarly zelda´s twin brother.
For future reference, the end of that sentence is "destiny". It was corrected in the GBA version.

eXistor

I really hope the overworld is manageable and not insanely large. Something like Skyrim is too large for its own good; there's no charm, too little to remember because it's all so vast. If you have a smaller world there's so much more interesting stuff you can do with it. It can be dense and layered. Don't forget that this is Zelda; there's gotta be at least 9 dungeons in this world too, which is also a huge difference from something like the Elder Srcolls, where every stone's throw is another identikit dungeon to be found.

mStudios

Ok people. Here is it

Nh7MM12.png

How do we fill this out?

Mato

I really hope the overworld is manageable and not insanely large. Something like Skyrim is too large for its own good; there's no charm, too little to remember because it's all so vast. If you have a smaller world there's so much more interesting stuff you can do with it. It can be dense and layered. Don't forget that this is Zelda; there's gotta be at least 9 dungeons in this world too, which is also a huge difference from something like the Elder Srcolls, where every stone's throw is another identikit dungeon to be found.

Agree with that. I prefer something compact and dense. Obsessive attention to detail is one of the aspects I love about Zelda.

Neiteio

Ok people. Here is it

How do we fill this out?
Bingo square ideas:

- Reggie's eyes look extra moist
- Reggie licks his lips
- Reggie talks with his hands
- Reggie is wearing a Triforce pin
- Reggie is wearing a Zelda shirt
- Reggie claims [insert Zelda title] is one of his favorite games
- Reggie looks vaguely angry
- Reggie talks in soothing voice
- Reggie references a meme
- Reggie uses the word "immersive"

And don't forget:

- Aonuma talks about his hobbies
- Miyamoto talks about crawling into caves
- Aonuma speaks in slow, stilted Engrish
- Miyamoto takes credit for everything
- Aonuma and/or Miyamoto painstakingly explain things that have existed in open-world games on other consoles forever (i.e. setting GPS waypoints)

Neiteio

More bingo squares:

- Japanese version has pre-tween female Link wearing g-string bikini

- English version has elderly female Link wearing 100 tunics

Ironically, Skyrim is actually a relatively small open world. A third of it is impassable mountains, it's smaller than Oblivion, and stuff like Witcher 3, the Far Cry games, GTAV, and Just Cause 2 and 3 absolutely dwarf it.

Bethesda open world games feel bigger than they actually are because they essentially use the same trick that Ocarina of Time used to make the tiny Hyrule Field seem much larger: there's hills and cliffs and other large tall features blocking your view and/or forcing a detour, and making it seem like a longer distance than if it was a straight shot across open terrain.

Anth0ny

bigger is not necessarily better

3d zelda overworlds already have a reputation for being big and empty. I'll take a smaller overworld if it's packed with things to do.

Neiteio

I just want a world 100x the size of Planet Mira, with lots of rupee chests and nothing to spend them on

I just want to keep reading the message telling me a blue rupee is five rupees. Five!

watershed

Banned
I'm beginning to get excited for this game. I still don't expect any new mechanics that make me feel like this game is revolutionizing Zelda, but I think it will be funner and hopefully less bogged down by bad design decisions than previous Zelda games. I expect a continuation of ALBW's choose your own path dungeon system and something similar with the items but not an actual store where you can buy them all at 1 time.

Mato

I just want a world 100x the size of Planet Mira, with lots of rupee chests and nothing to spend them on

I just want to keep reading the message telling me a blue rupee is five rupees. Five!

Also a message for the green ruppes.

I really hope during the Treehouse Nintendo doesn't only have Aonuma and Miyamoto presenting the game. I want to see if there's new younger guys at Nintendo working on it. I want to see them and the ideas they've brought just like Koizumi did for Zelda two decades ago.

eXistor

Ironically, Skyrim is actually a relatively small open world. A third of it is impassable mountains, it's smaller than Oblivion, and stuff like Witcher 3, the Far Cry games, GTAV, and Just Cause 2 and 3 absolutely dwarf it.

I always use Skyrim as an example of how not to do an open-world game, but you're right, those are way larger. And it can be done of course, but even the Witcher 3 struggles with diversity I think and has no really interesting inside locations.

Gsnap

I swear.

Swear.

If this game does the rupee/collectible reminders again, I just might lose my mind. The most mind-bendingly baffling thing to have ever been put in a Zelda game.

ckfy63a

Regarding Aonuma's mantra of "rethinking the conventions of Zelda," I have seen a lot of talk regarding challenging the convention of exploring in a set order (with the talk of open world, etc.); but are there any thoughts as to what challenging the convention of a single-player focus (which Aonuma also discussed in the 2013 direct) will bring? I imagine it will be some sort of multiplayer functionality, but I can't imagine it would be solely co-op in the overworld...

Neiteio

Regarding Aonuma's mantra of "rethinking the conventions of Zelda," I have seen a lot of talk regarding challenging the convention of exploring in a set order (with the talk of open world, etc.); but are there any thoughts as to what challenging the convention of a single-player focus (which Aonuma also discussed in the 2013 direct) will bring? I imagine it will be some multiplayer functionality, but I can't imagine it would be solely co-op in the overworld...
I think they're going to copy the Souls series to some extent with a passive online layer. They already kinda did this in TWWHD, with the Tingle Bottle functioning like the messages in the Souls series (albeit showing up at random).

Regarding Aonuma's mantra of "rethinking the conventions of Zelda," I have seen a lot of talk regarding challenging the convention of exploring in a set order (with the talk of open world, etc.); but are there any thoughts as to what challenging the convention of a single-player focus (which Aonuma also discussed in the 2013 direct) will bring? I imagine it will be some sort of multiplayer functionality, but I can't imagine it would be solely co-op in the overworld...
One player as link and one player as the horse.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I'm not expecting it to happen but I'd love getting invaded by other players in a Zelda dungeon.

Bingo square ideas:

- Reggie's eyes look extra moist
- Reggie licks his lips
- Reggie talks with his hands
- Reggie is wearing a Triforce pin
- Reggie is wearing a Zelda shirt
- Reggie claims [insert Zelda title] is one of his favorite games
- Reggie looks vaguely angry
- Reggie talks in soothing voice
- Reggie references a meme
- Reggie uses the word "immersive"

And don't forget:

- Aonuma talks about his hobbies
- Miyamoto talks about crawling into caves
- Aonuma speaks in slow, stilted Engrish
- Miyamoto takes credit for everything
- Aonuma and/or Miyamoto painstakingly explain things that have existed in open-world games on other consoles forever (i.e. setting GPS waypoints)

This is amazing.

By the way, have you noticed that Nintendo uses a slightly different logo for this game/for the series than usual? It's a very minor detail, but interesting nonetheless.

Here's logo which pops up every time a new Zelda is mentioned on Nintendo's social media channels:

CkjkaulUkAAbthl.jpg:large

Here's the E3 lanyard, which has the same writing as on e3.nintendo.com:

Have you noticed it? They use a different, bolder font for "THE LEGEND OF" part - which is probably the same font as the one used as a base for "ZELDA" part, - and in all cases, the letter "O" has a dot inside.

Here are logos for past Zelda titles, for comparison:

Notice how thin the letters of "THE LEGEND OF" part are. There's no dot inside the "O" either.

Ok people. Here is it

How do we fill this out?
  • Selectable gender option
  • Ubisoft-style watchtowers to fill in points of interest on your map
  • Scavenging for herbs and bugs
  • Let's not acknowledge there is an NX version
  • New friendly fantasy race
  • Ganondorf MIA
  • Hyrule castle is blocked off by a barrier
  • People challenging you to horse races
  • Link does not get a green tunic for the entire demo
  • Some degree of freedom for the order of dungeons
  • People hit the limits of their wallet in the demo.
  • Voice acting done in a made-up language
  • Musical instrument in your inventory
  • Everyone's favourite minigame, herding livestock, returns
  • Continuing the tradition of super creepy NPC faces
  • Reference to the original Legend of Zelda on the NES
  • Surprising lack of a helper character in a 3D Zelda game
  • Kooloo Limpah, mofos. Tingle is back
  • No firm release date announced
  • Token Amiibo section

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's a very beautiful, evocative piece of artwork. Easy to imagine how cool it might be if we can traverse - climb - while looking out over a view like that.

Curious to see how improved the NX version is, although I guess it might be a while before we see that.

Also a message for the green ruppes.

My favourite incarnation of this was in Minish Cap, where there was a chest in the game that contained a single green Rupee, which, when opened, would tell you "Don't spend it all in one place!"

That text has been moved to higher value Rupees in subsequent games, thereby negating the joke, and it makes me sad.

Top Bottom