• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Time Dilemma (Zero Escape 3) featured in Famitsu

Jaymageck

Yeah, Aksys said voice recording is done.
She's either lying and can't talk about it, thinks she can't talk about it, or not involved.

It'd suck if she wasn't involved. Phi was probably one of the more memorable performances in VLR.

I really hate when recasting happens for no good reason. Hopefully this is just a miscommunication somewhere.

Soulflarz

Banned
Guys, there is something important to keep in mind when you think about Phi:
She's not Superman, that's for sure. And she's not Batman, or Spiderman, or Aquaman, or a merman, or a wolfman. She's not a brahman, or common, or ramen. She's not a caiman either, so you really don't need to worry about anything.

also: she says shes no man at the end of quote...
Phido confirmed

Talked to Karen Strassman (Phi) today at Naka-kon and asked her if she'd done any voice work yet for part 3. Her response was "Not yet, but hopefully soon". Take that as you will. Then she autographed my copies of VLR and Persona 4 Golden that I bought earlier that morning since I left my copies at home and didn't have time to go get them.

that is cryptic... hmmm

Talked to Karen Strassman (Phi) today at Naka-kon and asked her if she'd done any voice work yet for part 3. Her response was "Not yet, but hopefully soon". Take that as you will. Then she autographed my copies of VLR and Persona 4 Golden that I bought earlier that morning since I left my copies at home and didn't have time to go get them.

NOOOOOOO! I hope this doesn't mean she didn't get to reprise her role.
I really want her to be Phi again :(

redhood56

Banned
I can't see them changing Phis voice, she probably just can't talk right now. Let's just wait and see when we get more information on the English version this week.

Two Words

With all of this news, I decided to get around to finally actually playing 999. I played VLR already, but never played 999. I ended up going with the iPhone version of the visual novel. I'm in it for the story, so I'm fine with passing the puzzles. It's nice to get it on my Macbook Pro through my iPhone too. One problem though. I can't seem to get rid of the status bar from my phone. Is this normal? I can't find any option to disable it. Either way, this definitely beats trying to read the game on a DS.

HukGzSv.jpg

With all of this news, I decided to get around to finally actually playing 999. I played VLR already, but never played 999. I ended up going with the iPhone version of the visual novel. I'm in it for the story, so I'm fine with passing the puzzles. It's nice to get it on my Macbook Pro through my iPhone too. One problem though. I can't seem to get rid of the status bar from my phone. Is this normal? I can't find any option to disable it. Either way, this definitely beats trying to read the game on a DS.

HukGzSv.jpg

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member

HukGzSv.jpg

I just beat the iPad version yesterday, and had the same thing. As far as I'm aware you can't disable it. It's a shame but it didn't ruin it or anything.

Korigama

HukGzSv.jpg
Then you still made the wrong choice by choosing that "port".

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, what's wrong?

There's quite a stigma against the iOS version of 999. But personally, if you've already played VLR, and don't mind the lack of puzzles, there's nothing wrong with playing it.
The iOS version has higher res backgrounds and redrawn sprites, with faster text speed. It also has a flowchart like VLR to skip having to repeat puzzles and long sequences of text you've already read, and it makes getting every ending far less of a chore. The disadvantages are that it's got no puzzles, and that one of the twists is delivered quite differently, since the DS version took advantage of having dual screens. It's just Gaf exaggerating as usual though, you're fine to play that version.

Korigama

Wait, what's wrong?
-The majority of interactions between cast members cut, thanks to no puzzles, room exploration, or item examination.
-Events cut from the story altogether during certain paths.
-Significance of why there are two screens lost.

If someone is telling you that its inferiority is an exaggeration, then they're simply being dismissive of criticisms of its actual faults.

Two Words

The game is better on the DS for story-related reasons.
The iOS version offers no advantages over the DS so most people highly recommend the original if it's available to you.

I tried playing it on DS. Didn't make it far before giving up. I simply cannot deal with reading this low res font. I can't express how bad reading it on a 3DS XL is.

999.jpg

What is so bad about the story in the iOS version? Seems fine so far. Does it have content cut from the story?

Hylian7

There's quite a stigma against the iOS version of 999. But personally, if you've already played VLR, and don't mind the lack of puzzles, there's nothing wrong with playing it.
The iOS version has higher res backgrounds and redrawn sprites, with faster text speed. It also has a flowchart like VLR to skip having to repeat puzzles and long sequences of text you've already read, and it makes getting every ending far less of a chore. The disadvantages are that it's got no puzzles, and that one of the twists is delivered quite differently, since the DS version took advantage of having dual screens. It's just Gaf exaggerating as usual though, you're fine to play that version.

Go ahead and tell me what the biggest twist in the game is.

Korigama

I tried playing it on DS. Didn't make it far before giving up. I simply cannot deal with reading this low res font.

999.jpg

What is so bad about the story in the iOS version? Seems fine so far. Does it have content cut from the story?
As I already mentioned, yes, it does. Since you already have the DS version, simply go back to it.
Go ahead and tell me what the biggest twist in the game is.
While they're at it, they can also tell me what happens behind door 8.

Hylian7

As I already mentioned, yes, it does. Since you already have the DS version, simply go back to it.

While they're at it, they can also tell me what happens behind door 8.

What's different about that one in the iOS version?

I know it also has that one ending that's in the DS version. It's really WTF and doesn't really make any sense though.

takoyaki

I tried playing it on DS. Didn't make it far before giving up. I simply cannot deal with reading this low res font. I can't express how bad reading it on a 3DS XL is.

Have you tried playing it in 'original resolution' on the 3DS (holding down select and or start while booting the game from the home menu)? That should come pretty close to how it looked on a DS in 2010.

The DS version is the way to go, but reading the iOS version is better than not playing the game at all imo. it just lacks what many will say is the best part of 999.

edit: thanks Hylian7, didn't know about that; I've always pressed both buttons

Hylian7

Have you tried playing it in 'original resolution' on the 3DS (holding down select and start while booting the game from the home menu)? That should come pretty close to how it looked on a DS in 2010.

The DS version is the way to go, but reading the iOS version is better than not playing the game at all imo. it just lacks what many will say is the best part of 999.

Actually to make a DS game play in original resolution, it's start OR select. For 3DS games (and the OS), start and select send the same signal. Only in DS games does it make a difference.

Yeah, you really should play the DS version. You are completely gimping the experience if you play it on iOS. No, it's not out of any kind of "iOS hate", there's just a few reasons why the DS version is the way to go that would be heavy spoilers to explain why.

Have you tried playing it in 'original resolution' on the 3DS (holding down select and start while booting the game from the home menu)? That should come pretty close to how it looked on a DS in 2010.

Actually to make a DS game play in original resolution, it's start OR select. For 3DS games (and the OS), start and select send the same signal. Only in DS games does it make a difference.

Yeah, you really should play the DS version. You are completely gimping the experience if you play it on iOS. No, it's not out of any kind of "iOS hate", there's just a few reasons why the DS version is the way to go that would be heavy spoilers to explain why.
wait... you can do this on the 3ds xl?

i had it for couple of years and never knew this

Wazzy

Banned
It's such a shame they didn't put more effort into the IOS port.

They could have easily just replicated two screens, especially if there's not even puzzles.

I'm still wondering if they'll ever rerelease 999 for vita so people can have the complete set.

HukGzSv.jpg

kRHbQgW.jpg

takoyaki

Yup, works on every 3DS as far as I know. It's definitely a trade-off though: it gets rid of the upscaling blurriness but the native image can look pretty small on those 3DS XL screens

Hylian7

You can do it on any 3DS, even the 2DS or one of the n3DS's.

It's such a shame they didn't put more effort into the IOS port.

They could have easily just replicated two screens, especially if there's not even puzzles.

I'm still wondering if they'll ever rerelease 999 for vita so people can have the complete set.

I still think you're missing out on a lot by not having the puzzles. It's mainly just the overall effect of the game.
While many people understandably found it annoying that you had to do the puzzles again every time, it set a tone that this was just a visual novel that had multiple endings, and then there was just the "good ending" you had to stumble into. Then when you do stuff like the Safe ending to the true ending, you start to understand what's going on. Since 999 explained timelines and such, VLR just had the flowchart straight out the gate, and while it wasn't immediately explained what it was, anyone that played 999 had some idea what this thing really was. I do think an ability to just skip previously completed puzzle rooms would have been good, but either it was just an oversight or they intentionally didn't include that.

I had actually wondered if they will ever do a "Metroid Prime Trilogy" style package for all three games a while after ZTD comes out. I could see that selling really well for people late to the party on this series.

Two Words

I feel like playing VLR already spoiled a lot of 999 for me. I'm just looking to see the story through so that I get the plot for this new game better. If I'm not dying for the true 100% 999 experience, am I really gonna miss out a lot with this iOS version?

Hylian7

I feel like playing VLR already spoiled a lot of 999 for me. I'm just looking to see the story through so that I get the plot for this new game better. If I'm not dying for the true 100% 999 experience, am I really gonna miss out a lot with this iOS version?

Yes, there is one thing that VLR does not talk about at all that you will miss out on by playing the iOS version.

i remember when the ios version was announced, i was excited bc the game was getting more exposure but then butchery was a bit disappointing...

Two Words

It's not even like I have the DS game anymore. I'd have to buy another copy. If there is piece of content cut out, could I just read what it was after I finish and maybe see it on a youtube video?

Hylian7

It's not even like I have the DS game anymore. I'd have to buy another copy. If there is piece of content cut out, could I just read what it was after I finish and maybe see it on a youtube video?

It's not really something you can just watch on YouTube and be done with it. It encompasses the whole game.

Have you tried playing it in 'original resolution' on the 3DS (holding down select and or start while booting the game from the home menu)? That should come pretty close to how it looked on a DS in 2010.

WAIT WHAT JUST ONE BUTTON WORKS?!

Wait is that ending not in at all?!

It still is in the game, to my knowledge.

I still think you're missing out on a lot by not having the puzzles. It's mainly just the overall effect of the game.
While many people understandably found it annoying that you had to do the puzzles again every time, it set a tone that this was just a visual novel that had multiple endings, and then there was just the "good ending" you had to stumble into. Then when you do stuff like the Safe ending to the true ending, you start to understand what's going on. Since 999 explained timelines and such, VLR just had the flowchart straight out the gate, and while it wasn't immediately explained what it was, anyone that played 999 had some idea what this thing really was. I do think an ability to just skip previously completed puzzle rooms would have been good, but either it was just an oversight or they intentionally didn't include that.

I had actually wondered if they will ever do a "Metroid Prime Trilogy" style package for all three games a while after ZTD comes out. I could see that selling really well for people late to the party on this series.

I'd be down for the "Trilogy" pack especially if they somehow managed to port 999 to Vita with it. (ULTRA HEAVLY 999 SPOILERS)
Just have narration take place at the bottom of the screen and dialogue on the top of the screen, and flip the device.
Even just a remaster for 3DS would be enough reason though

as for SPOILER, I've seen this theory: (999 SPOILERS)
As you play through the rooms again, the puzzle solutions are transferred to Junpei's mind from the Junpei in previous playthroughs through the morphogenetic field. That's why he's usually able to solve them far more easily.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
It's not really something you can just watch on YouTube and be done with it. It encompasses the whole game.

If you're talking about (999 ending spoilers)
the perspective twist, then the iOS version retains that to the best it could with one screen. In both versions at the end the reveal makes you realize the third person narration was being done by Akane and not just a non-existent omnipotent narrator. In the iOS version, the main difference is that it's all happening on one screen, but whenever it switched to third person narration the screen darkened, and the text stopped being displayed in bubbles. In both versions the twist is "you are observing two perspectives", but in the DS one, you're seeing them on separate screens, and on the iOS one you're seeing them on the same screen but with clear distinction between the two.

Hylian7

If you're talking about (999 ending spoilers)
the perspective twist, then the iOS version retains that to the best it could with one screen. In both versions at the end the reveal makes you realize the third person narration was being done by Akane and not just a non-existent omnipotent narrator. In the iOS version, the main difference is that it's all happening on one screen, but whenever it switched to third person narration the screen darkened, and the text stopped being displayed in bubbles. In both versions the twist is "you are observing two perspectives", but in the DS one, you're seeing them on separate screens, and on the iOS one you're seeing them on the same screen but with clear distinction between the two.

Does it still have the
flip screen upside down to solve the puzzle?

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Does it still have the
flip screen upside down to solve the puzzle?

Obviously not, since the reason that happens is
because the top screen represents Junpei's actions, and the bottom screen represents Akane's. The reason you flip it is so that the top screen becomes the one you solve the puzzle on, as he's the one who solves it, not her. It's still made clear in the iOS version he's the one solving it, and the way that they switch between the two perspectives in that scene was done particularly well in my opinion, there's just no flipping involved.

Hylian7

Obviously not, since the reason that happens is
because the top screen represents Junpei's actions, and the bottom screen represents Akane's. The reason you flip it is so that the top screen becomes the one you solve the puzzle on, as he's the one who solves it, not her. It's still made clear in the iOS version he's the one solving it, and the way that they switch between the two perspectives in that scene was done particularly well in my opinion, there's just no flipping involved.

That doesn't sound as satisfying as it does in the DS version though. That moment was one the one where the whole thing comes together.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
That doesn't sound as satisfying as it does in the DS version though. That moment was one the one where the whole thing comes together.

The iOS version still has that feeling of it all coming together, it's just
instead of the shock being that the bottom screen is Akane, you get shocked that the narrator is Akane. It's the same twist, just without the gimmick.
They're only looking to fill in the gaps in story, so I'd say there's no issue with them playing the iOS version.

takoyaki

Anyone skilled with photoshop that can ZTD-ify Ducky? (Or maybe we should wait for the trailer)

C1BGjt9.jpg

Played around a bit with Pixelmator, tried the full Zero mask on your/my avatar and it looked really strange. Pick one if you like. I'm partial to "sassy pimp ducky" ;)

duck1m1r9b.png

duck2x2qm1.jpg

duck_sassy_pimpwwp41.png

edit:

LOL, the third one is amazing.

ducky really has the eyes for it. He can also totally pull off the "distinguished gentleman ducky" look by adding Zero's glasses

ducky_gentleman9yu6f.png

grim-tales

I never knew that. Personally I havent had a problem reading the text on 999 when I tried it once on my 3DS XL

Top Bottom