• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zune HD is official

TheGreatDave said:
I don't like this future. I want my music player to just play music :(
yeah but thats likes saying you only want a cellphone to take a voice call, its all converging.

id say 15 years from now our pcs/phones/stereos/consoles/dvds/games/musics/etc's will all be in a "single cellphone sized device" with different "docks" in our homes for the full HD/keyboard/controller/viewing/listening experience.

Revelations said:
I disagree. If they announce XBLA support at E3. Then that would make this device so fucking popular MSFT wouldnt know what to do with themselves. They could put the same restrictions they have on the current XBLA independent game development model and apply it to a sort of XBLA (GAMES ONLY) store.

Also, I feel there is a reason MSFT didnt fully announce this thing today. W still dont know much about it. I feel theres a reason behind that. I am expecting more from this.

This clearly indicates there is more:

In an official announcement about the new Zune video service on Xbox Live and the Zune HD release, Microsoft said ‘at the Electronic Entertainment Expo next week, attendees will see first-hand how Zune integrates into Xbox LIVE creating a game-changing entertainment experience’.

Bringing Zune marketplace to Live marketplace is by no means "game-changing".

Tobor

TheGreatDave said:
But will there always be new Zune players with 80GB of storage...?

No, but you'll see 128GB once the SSDs get cheap enough.

This conversation already happened in the OT version of this thread, but HDD MP3 players are an endangered species. They'll be completely extinct in a year.

Tobor said:

This conversation already happened in the OT version of this thread, but HDD MP3 players are an endangered species. They'll be completely extinct in a year.

This is why I hate people. iPod Nano ruined it for everybody ;)

clashfan

I don't like the design. For some reason it reminds me of those pylons in Land of the Lost. I'll wait for further judgment after I hear more about xbox integration.

Tobor said:

Not true. There will always be a small but profitable market for high capacity mp3 players.

I currently use a 320GB mp3 player. Dont see flash memory approaching that anytime soon.

mrkgoo

This looks great and has a nice feature set.

The iPod touch having a proper competitor will be great. And by proper competitor, I mean something that will have as much coverage, and hopefully a comparable appstore.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
if this thing is based on tegra, that would make it a full step ahead of ipod touch in terms of power, it's a shame microsoft doesn't market these things or sell them properly

zune was in canada? i've never seen one. ever. for sale. on display. in an ad.

absolutely terrible product positioning.

tokkun

nyprimus2 said:
XBLA/Achievement support and my iPod Touch is as good as gone.

I don't see how it could support XBLA. A touch screen isn't going to be able to deal with all of the buttons on the 360 controller and the screen resolution is a lot lower.

Hooking in with your XBL account and supporting Achievements in a separate Zune-specific games marketplace might be possible, but Microsoft hasn't exactly done that with GFW.

Magik

DopeyFish said:
if this thing is based on tegra, that would make it a full step ahead of ipod touch in terms of power, it's a shame microsoft doesn't market these things or sell them properly

zune was in canada? i've never seen one. ever. for sale. on display. in an ad.

absolutely terrible product positioning.

Wait, what? I see Zune ads in Best Buy/Future Shop flyers all the time.

Tobor

TheGreatDave said:
This is why I hate people. iPod Nano ruined it for everybody ;)

Nah, solid state is better in every other conceivable way. You just need to be patient, and the capacities will be back where they were.

Dunlop

_leech_ said:
Canada gets the shaft again?

this : (

My wife told me to pick up an Ipod Touch for my Bday this week and I was holding off for the new Zune info.

Guess Apple gets my moulah...

nyprimus2

tokkun said:
I don't see how it could support XBLA. A touch screen isn't going to be able to deal with all of the buttons on the 360 controller and the screen resolution is a lot lower.

Hooking in with your XBL account and supporting Achievements in a separate Zune-specific games marketplace might be possible, but Microsoft hasn't exactly done that with GFW.
Yeah, Zune HD specific games that link to your gamertag with achievements and such. That would rock.

WaltJay

nyprimus2 said:
Yeah, Zune HD specific games that link to your gamertag with achievements and such. That would rock.

If that happens, I would seriously consider getting one. Add in an AM radio, and that would seal the deal. :D I listen to a lot more sports talk radio than any FM station.

billy.sea

Banned
I don't think Zune is doing as bad as everyone is saying.
I bet it is second to the iPod.
I don't think many people can name a MP3 player outside of iPod and Zune.
At least Microsoft establish a brand for its MP3 player line.

Chrange

Banned
Tobor said:
I appreciate your devotion, but come on, be realistic.

The Classic, sure, I'll give you that.

EDIT: Let's cool the jets fanboys, I'm talking about the iPod Touch/iPhone, you know, the device this new Zune is trying to match feature for feature.

The Zune was never competing with the phone, and it's hard to say it doesn't kick the shit out of the iPod Classic and other MP3 players.

Banned
Wollan said:
Lower (and non centered) screen resolution than iPhone/iPod (480-by-320). Oled is all positive though.

I think they were going for a 16x9 aspect ratio. This is closer to that than the iPod/iPhone.

I think the future of these devices is having everything in one, which is probably one reason why the iPhone is so popular.

Carrying around a phone and an MP3 player is annoying.

Deku

Banned
Looks like a convergence device where they can leverage the multimedia content on marketplace and maybe put in some Zune exclusive idevice games to dip their feet into the portable gaming sector.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm guessing/hoping XNA games/apps for the Zune will be distributed through XBL as well as the Zune Marketplace (still can't do it through Zune marketplace yet) XNA 3.0 allowed Zune development but there is no proper way to distribute them. I expect it to happen in the Fall update or maybe sooner.

TheHeretic said:
I think the future of these devices is having everything in one, which is probably one reason why the iPhone is so popular.

Carrying around a phone and an MP3 player is annoying.

Paying $80 a month for an sub-par mp3 player when you rarely use the crappy phone part is annoying as well.

KTallguy

Banned
Not a horrible looking device.

Still want drag and drop, which is why I'm excited about the new PSP, I hope it's drag and drop
pleasebedraganddrop

outunderthestars said:
Paying $80 a month for an sub-par mp3 player when you rarely use the crappy phone part is annoying as well.

Is the iPhone a bad MP3 player?

Shiggie

posted yet?
cv0083.jpg

DarkJC

KTallguy said:

Don't know where all this is coming from, but not in my eyes, works great. It's never been a crappy phone for me either, then again, that is much more network dependent, and I'm not in the US and thus not on AT&T.

Would be interested in this but the fact that MS has had the Zune here in Canada for a while now and we're not even on the list of countries the marketplace is launching in makes me much much much less interested.

edit: Obsession over drag and drop is something I will never understand either.

outunderthestars said:

They aren't even 80 a month in Australia, which is more expensive than the US. iPods don't have the best audio quality but the market has clearly dictated the performance is where they want it to be. As for the phone part, I don't own one, but from what i've used it seems perfectly fine to me.

Even if somewhere in this bitter hyperbole some truth existed, the fact is carrying around one do-all device is more appealing than carrying two or more.

Tobor

KTallguy said:

it's an excellent MP3 player, as I'm sure this new Zune will be. How converged do you want your devices? That's the important question.

tokkun

TheHeretic said:
They aren't even 80 a month in Australia, which is more expensive than the US. iPods don't have the best audio quality but the market has clearly dictated the performance is where they want it to be. As for the phone part, I don't own one, but from what i've used it seems perfectly fine to me.

Even if somewhere in this bitter hyperbole some truth existed, the fact is carrying around one do-all device is more appealing than carrying two or more.

Currently the lowest priced iPhone plan is $69/month in the US. When you add in taxes and fees, it's around $80/month.

adelante

wait...why are people asking for xbla support. Surely not for existing xbla games right? even though they're digital downloads, some of the games arent exactly resource-light...

or maybe that Onlive support is true afterall! *gasp*:lol

The official press release from MS indicates only Zune video being made available to Xbox Live. Nothing about music. :-(

Zune will be a premium partner in the Xbox LIVE Video Marketplace, bringing an exciting catalog of TV and film to the platform. Zune will occupy the first slot within the Xbox user interface in the Xbox LIVE Video Marketplace, exposing the Zune brand experience to millions of new consumers for the first time. At the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) next week, attendees will see firsthand how Zune integrates into Xbox LIVE to create a game-changing entertainment experience

http://gizmodo.com/5270945/zune-hd-is-real-has-multitouch-web-browsing-oled-screen-and-hd-video

KTallguy

Banned
The obsession over drag and drop is this:

I don't like iTunes managing all the music on my computer. I use foobar and I'm EXTREMELY happy with it.

The main thing that prevents me from using any kind of iPod is the need to use iTunes.
I also don't want any kind of Zune/Sony software. I want the option to make folders, drop my compatible media in them, and play.

I don't think that's too much to ask.

Chrange

Banned
DarkJC said:
Don't know where all this is coming from, but not in my eyes, works great. It's never been a crappy phone for me either, then again, that is much more network dependent, and I'm not in the US and thus not on AT&T.

Would be interested in this but the fact that MS has had the Zune here in Canada for a while now and we're not even on the list of countries the marketplace is launching in makes me much much much less interested.

edit: Obsession over drag and drop is something I will never understand either.

I find it kind of hard to blame Microsoft for the CRTC's ridiculous refusal to allow Canadians to protect their own culture while still being exposed to outside entertainment.

billy.sea

Banned
KTallguy said:

I don't like iTunes managing all the music on my computer. I use foobar and I'm EXTREMELY happy with it.

The main thing that prevents me from using any kind of iPod is the need to use iTunes.
I also don't want any kind of Zune/Sony software. I want the option to make folders, drop my compatible media in them, and play.

I think a lot of people like the ability to just plug in your MP3 player and have it sync all the updates, instead of having to manually drag and drop every little thing every single time you have something new.

And iTunes does have option for you to check and uncheck boxes to decide what you want to sync onto your player.

KTallguy said:

I don't think its that big of a deal. If you want to manage music manually you can drag-drop in iTunes or Zune without enabling any automation at all.

KTallguy

Banned
The problem is iTunes and such software are usually not well made, and hog tons of resources. I honestly don't want anything to do with that kind of software. It always wants to be the default media player, and even when you try to make another software the main media player, problems always arise.

I've used iTunes once and it really annoyed me how much it took over my computer.
I reassigned the files so that they would be opened by different programs, but it would override my settings. I'm not eager to use it again.

These kinds of software can exist and be available, but give the user the choice to do things how they want.

jrricky

Banned
outunderthestars said:
WTF? This doesnt make any sense. You have an iPhone but dont use the phone part?:lol :lol

Also this whole statement is :lol

Rhindle

TheHeretic said:
I don't think its that big of a deal. If you want to manage music manually you can drag-drop in iTunes or Zune without enabling any automation at all.
You still have manage build and manage libraries in itunes or Zune though, which some of us don't want to have to do. It's the main reason I dropped the iPod platform a while back and have avoided Zune thus far.

I'm still surprised that Microsoft, of all people, did not allow Windows file management in Zune.

Evander

"industry expert"
Tobor said:
Nah, solid state is better in every other conceivable way. You just need to be patient, and the capacities will be back where they were.

Capacity makes a very direct difference to the end user.

HD video out, not so much.

I liked my Zune 30 and my Zune 120. I sure hope MSoft know what they are doing with the brand. I'm not interested in upgrading to a player that is a downgrade in features (not being able to fit my whole library is a downgrade, for me.)

Top Bottom