• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zune HD is official

iPhone looks better... and is a phone. This is not a threat to Apple.

MS makes too much money off cell phone OS tech to compete with hardware makers it works for. That means they can't compete with Apple because they can't make a phone. I'm not sure why, in a post iPhone world, they would even bother with this.

:/

Tylahedras said:

MS makes too much money off cell phone OS tech to compete with hardware makers it works for. That means they can't compete with Apple because they can't make a phone. I'm not sure why, in a post iPhone world, they would even bother with this.

Rumor is they are partnering with Verizon.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Microsoft's E3...ruined!

Seriously, here comes Microsoft trying to ape the iPhone/iPod touch. And there goes Microsoft, doomed to a distant second place finish. Here's a hint, just doing the same thing as your competition, even if you're doing it a little better, isn't going to jump the needle when Apple has been in the market for 2 years and has a massive install base.

Of course, on a personal note, I'm intrigued by the new Zune, as it's about time I retired my iPod 20 gigger.

Banned
Tylahedras said:

In a post iPhone world why even bother with an iPod Touch? You do understand that people have other phones besides the iPhone? There is a huge market for this device.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
BLaZiN PRopHeT said:

Now that could be big. Verizon (and other carriers) have been losing a lot of customers to AT&T because of the iPhone. The BB Storm is a bust and Verizon really needs some cool hardware to compete.

DogWelder

black-zune-hd-rm-eng.jpg

Caaz

It looks awesome but the screen resolution is ridiculous for a device pretending to be HD. Way lower than any high end Windows Mobile device (640x480 to 800x480), even lower than what the iPhone proposes (480x320), which was already a low resolution for a screen this big.

Tobor

Evander said:
Capacity makes a very direct difference to the end user.

HD video out, not so much.

I liked my Zune 30 and my Zune 120. I sure hope MSoft know what they are doing with the brand. I'm not interested in upgrading to a player that is a downgrade in features (not being able to fit my whole library is a downgrade, for me.)

No, it very much does not. That's why the entire market has moved towards solid state, MS included.

You might see a few niche audiophile players produce HDD models(it's the only reason the iPod Classic still exists), but the consumer market has sailed.

BeeDog

Is there a chance for this device to have 60+GB flash storage? Waiting for one of those before I retire my Creative Zen Vision:M (30GB model), and Apple haven't announced any, so...

Banned
Caaz said:
It looks awesome but the screen resolution is ridiculous for a device pretending to be HD. Way lower than any high end Windows Mobile device (640x480 to 800x480), even lower than what the iPhone proposes (480x320), which was already a low resolution for a screen this big.

HDTV programming is made in the 16x9 (1.78) as aspect ratio, which fits the dimensions of the new Zune. Zune HD will be 16x9. The iPhone is not. Which means when watching a wide screen video the iPod Touch/iPhone will either have to cut off a portion of the left and right of the video or put small black bars on the top and bottom. Also, the Zune HD has a slightly higher pixel per inch.

Gowans

Looks nice but can't see my iPhone going anywhere as my portable device.

But Zune pass on XBL is a big deal, custom soundtracks replaced with any song for free or maybe Digital Radio. I'm in.

itsgreen

Looks good.

I like the design, better than an Iphone imo (which is getting a little boring).

And it brings a new nice set of unique features to the 360.

BUT as long as it doesnt have GSM capabilities I don't see why I want another device in my pocket. That's where the Iphone nailed this generation. It is the problem every other dedicated music device has.

For the future it looks good though, with Zune being an integral part of Windows Mobile 7, it looks like everything is fine for 2010.

Also I blame the music industry for not releasing it in my country. Stupid licensing issues in every single European country.

Voltron64

BLaZiN PRopHeT said:
I hope they will team up with Verizon and make this a Zune phone. I'd probably get rid of my blackberry for one if they did. It would really be some good competition for the AT&T and the iPhone.

itsgreen said:
BUT as long as it doesnt have GSM capabilities I don't see why I want another device in my pocket. That's where the Iphone nailed this generation. It is the problem every other dedicated music device has.

Except for the fact that the iphone is a marginal mp3 player: subpar sound quality, low storage capacity, awkward controls, and poor codec support.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
TheMissingLink said:
The Zune software UI is so clunky, slow, and backwards that it isn't even worth it. No matter how sexy the device may be.

You obviously have never used one before. Slow? What?

The black version looks gorgeous, and the hardware will be rock solid (based on my Zune 80). And the software is great much better presentation than iTunes in my opinion, if not as intuitive.

TheMissingLink said:
The Zune software UI is so clunky, slow, and backwards that it isn't even worth it. No matter how sexy the device may be.

What? I have not heard one complaint from a Zune owner concerning the speed of the UI, assuming you are one.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
TheMissingLink said:

I'm sorry your experience with the software hasn't been as awesome as mine has been.

I really hope this device doesn't use flash memory. I'm almost full on my 80gb Zune and anything less just won't cut it.

Brashnir

Tashi0106 said:
I'm sorry your experience with the software hasn't been as awesome as mine has been.

I really hope this device doesn't use flash memory. I'm almost full on my 80gb Zune and anything less just won't cut it.

uh, look at the thing. there's no way a hard drive is gonna fit in there. it's using flash memory.

Brashnir said:
uh, look at the thing. there's no way a hard drive is gonna fit in there. it's using flash memory.

It's not much smaller than the current non-ssd versions. The taper at the back makes it appear thinner.

Tashi

Brashnir said:

I don't know, the older ipod videos got to be pretty damn thin and they had HDD

outunderthestars said:
It's going to most likely be flash memory based. I am hoping for a 64GB version.

Unless Apple announce a 64Gb iPod Touch at WWDC, I don't see why Microsoft would, considering the cost of SSD.

Tashi

The Zunes have been able to play games for a while now...that's not going to change with this one. Actually, it should get better.

billy.sea

Banned
If it is a serious game machine I will consider buying one.
I don't know why I need another machine to play media... it's not like I will bring my DSi, PSP, iPod Touch and Zune with me on the go everyday, along with my phone.

Cant mention this enough. Sirius Satellite radio please Microsoft....and Netflix on the go!
Also phone support would be real ipod competition dont kid yourself MSFT. In order to compete you have to do it on all fronts your competitors has.

Games, Music, Movies and phone. No excuses...

rezuth

Opus Angelorum said:
The black version looks gorgeous, and the hardware will be rock solid (based on my Zune 80). And the software is great much better presentation than iTunes in my opinion, if not as intuitive.

What? I have not heard one complaint from a Zune owner concerning the speed of the UI, assuming you are one.
I found it quite slow on the first generation devices, the second gen has no issues thou.

Nolan.

Ok I'm surprised that it looks as slick as it does, I always wanted a zune but this one makes me want to wait for it.

Dizzan

MINI Member
I'd buy it if it was a phone. I hate nothing more than carrying around more than my wallet, keys and phone.

Dizzan said:
I'd buy it if it was a phone. I hate nothing more than carrying around more than my wallet, keys and phone.

Personally I like the device to be separate, it performs as expected without any interruption.

Just a note about the visible screw fastening on the back, might that suggest the ability to change the battery/drive?

Fuuuuudge.

So the music part has been debunked. I was SO looking forward to being able to listen to Scharpling through the 360 without using Connect 360 and my steadily dying MacBook Pro.

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT.

So, no hardware for Europe, no music, just video, and no video partners announced.

In that case, it's a fail from where I am. And that's England.

Gowans

Hammer24 said:
If they put XBLA on it, instabuy.

Don't see how it could with the screen resolution no controller input and it would have to emulate a 360.

Being able to play your already purchased XBLA games on a portable would be awesome tho.

Can't see it, at most a version of the Community Games area just for Zune along with the Live overlay when used and friends list integration. Not even a XBLA player when connected to a TV through HDMI and synched to a wireless controller as it would have to be damn powerful.

Really curious to see the integration in action tho, not long to go now.

Top Bottom