• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's New Island | OT | Is you is or is you ain't my Baby (Mario)

maxcriden

That's a bit stupid and downright unfair of Edge to do that.

Wait what! Please tell me you're joking and someone didn't actually do that.

Well, it was listed in some review(s) as a negative IIRC. BTW, if reviewers thinking less of games with a youthful aesthetic bothers you, you are really not going to want to look up Game Informer's Paper Mario: TTYD review.

great OT max!

Thanks Z! Hopefully my Shovel Knight one will be a bit more polished.

Embargo is up Thursday at 8am PST.

Thanks for the info, added to OP.

Mike Golf

I'm pretty interested in this game, but Yoshi's foot size is driving me nuts. The in game model doesn't match the artwork at all.

Man, thought it was just me. What is up with the clown shoes? What makes it worse is that even in the new art work released for this game Yoshi has the proper shoe size, yet in game he looks like he should be dropping Mario off at the Ringling Bros. Circus.

That aside I really want this to be good, but the music is bringing it down for me and the game play just doesn't look as fun or challenging compared to the original Yoshi's Island. I also second other opinions here on how a lot of the charm has been lost on enemy design where we have previous enemies such as the Boos that had their own unique look and charm in the original but now just look like standard Mario Boos. So far it just gives me the feeling it's going to be too safe of a release like NSMB/NSMBWii/NSMBU. Those were all technically solid games, but each shared the same world types and didn't offer anything really fun or exciting.

Hoping that's not the case and what hasn't been shown of the game will prove all this to be nil.

It looks underwhelming in videos but the level design already looks far better than the super dissapointing and often frustrating YIDS.

Too bad about the music though. YIDS at least had one track which was good (Wildlands).

Ouroboros

The gameplay looks incredibly boring. I hope there is a demo highlighting some good spots of the game or else this will be a no buy for me. The original Yoshi's Island is by far my favorite sidescroller.

Fun fact: my girlfriend loves Yoshi's Story but has never played or even heard of Yoshi's Island. So sad...

The gameplay looks incredibly boring. I hope there is a demo highlighting some good spots of the game or else this will be a no buy for me. The original Yoshi's Island is by far my favorite sidescroller.

Fun fact: my girlfriend loves Yoshi's Story but has never played or even heard of Yoshi's Island. So sad...
Never even heard of Yoshi's Island? What kind of sick boyfriend are you?

ryushe

Yoshi's Island is one of my favorite games ever. I'm even one of those crazy people who prefer it to SMW... But even I'm bailing on this game.

daydream

Banned

She's played the best one, then.

FHBsIYe.gif

zroid

Banned
What's weird about this game is how inconsistent the art is. Sometimes it looks really good and other times really not.

These screens in the OP are examples of what I am quite fond of:

1902824_819308821432263_311016621_n.png

1798757_819308811432264_1863910673_n.png

the first one looks like an oil painting, and the second a watercolour. it's pretty neat. the different styles still do convey that inconsistency, though...

Anyways, I'm not exactly hyped for this seeing as I don't have any great attachment to Yoshi's Island or any of the Yoshi platformers, but I do think it looks pretty good overall. I'll probably pick it up whenever I see it on sale for <$30. It's $45 in Canada which is just crazy.

Ouch at the Edge score. Why does Nintendo keep working with these people?

Yoshi's Island is one of the most inspired games in videogame history...Nintendo really dropped the ball with its sequels.

MrBadger

Actually, when was the last time Nintendo did something like Yoshi's Island and Warioland, where they took an existing Mario character and put them in a platformer that was unique to their traits and personality? Super Princess Peach?

Where's my Rosalina-themed 3DS platformer?

This video is like a parody of shitty kids games. I was laughing out loud by the end when the victory tune came in.

Reminds me of licensed Ren and Stimpy games from my childhood.

Everyone knows the most fun part of Yoshi's Island was spamming the flutter jump to try and prevent yourself from falling into the inevitable pit.

maxcriden

Actually, when was the last time Nintendo did something like Yoshi's Island and Warioland, where they took an existing Mario character and put them in a platformer that was unique to their traits and personality? Super Princess Peach?

Hmm...yes, I think it would be Super Princess Peach. I haven't played much of that one but I know my wife really liked it. I think the Starfy devs, TOSE, made that one.

tassletine

The Edge review is pretty damning. It talks about the 3D being so bad that you can't actually tell if there's a platform there or not. Some of the platforms are actually behind the player even though you can still step on them.
They also mention the horrible music and that the levels just feel like random collections of platforms. They also say that the eggs you throw don't track off the screen (even slightly) so don't collect coins that may be sitting there. The giant eggs are also labelled as pointless. It sounds pretty bad.

To put it in perspective though Edge do give Nintendo games a much tougher time than most. It's like they think they have a duty to keep their standards up. They have the same problem with almost every other company that makes excellent games (like Platinum for example). If their standards drop, even slightly they get penalised more harshly than others.

For example W101 got a six, with Edge actually blaming the gamepad for bad gameplay. This was one of the worst reviews I've ever seen by that publication though. They are usually pretty thorough and fair. Except for FPS' which for some reason usually get very high scores. Oh and GTA. They love GTA.

maxcriden

They also say that the eggs you throw don't track off the screen (even slightly) so don't collect coins that may be sitting there. The giant eggs are also labelled as pointless. It sounds pretty bad.

Bizarre criticism. No Nintendo 2D platformers track off screen pretty much at all, in just about this same way. I wonder if the 3D effect affects this at all, but yeah...I'd say that's not uncommon for a 2D Mario or DK game at least.

MrBadger

Hmm...yes, I think it would be Super Princess Peach. I haven't played much of that one but I know my wife really liked it. I think the Starfy devs, TOSE, made that one.

That would explain the Starfy cameo and the Peach costume in Starfy 4.

I rather liked SPP too. Not played it in a long while though. I'd welcome more new ideas like that for existing Mario or Nintendo characters.

Is ANYONE going to upload a video of the credits? I can transcribe them as I've done before.

We got confirmation that the director is from Sega/Artoon; Masahide Kobayashi, Who directed Knuckles Chaotix.

I still find complaints about checkpoint systems in platformers amusing. It's like they really want to write "why is there challenge?"
Thing is to 100% Yoshi you can not get hit unless you know the coloured egg bouncing trick which I guess is why EDGE wanted checkpoints here but did not care in DKCRTF (I assume the collectibles in this don't all have to be done in one swoop...)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Thing is to 100% Yoshi you can not get hit unless you know the coloured egg bouncing trick which I guess is why EDGE wanted checkpoints here but did not care in DKCRTF (I assume the collectibles in this don't all have to be done in one swoop...)

While it's correct that often times there are not much more than 30 star points, EDGE must have played the game horribly cursory if they think that's a big problem, considering all three types of collectables are tracked individually and can be collected in separate runs.

MrDeeds

Neo Member
The Edge review is pretty damning. It talks about the 3D being so bad that you can't actually tell if there's a platform there or not. Some of the platforms are actually behind the player even though you can still step on them.
They also mention the horrible music and that the levels just feel like random collections of platforms. They also say that the eggs you throw don't track off the screen (even slightly) so don't collect coins that may be sitting there. The giant eggs are also labelled as pointless. It sounds pretty bad.

Did NSMB's review get dinged for the Mega Mushroom (also pointless)? Also - did the eggs ever track off screen in Yoshi's Island? I'm trying to remember and I don't think they did.

MrBadger

Did NSMB's review get dinged for the Mega Mushroom (also pointless)? Also - did the eggs ever track off screen in Yoshi's Island? I'm trying to remember and I don't think they did.

if I'm remembering right, the eggs are tracked if you hit an arrow with them that sends it on a path. Other than that, they're just projectiles and the camera follows Yoshi.

AdanVC

If EDGE gave this a 4/10, I just can't imagine what Gamespot is going to give it then, considering they are the ones who gave 6/10 to DKC: Tropical Freeze.

The music is what worries me a lot. I tought it would get better as your progress through the game, with actual new songs but looks like it's not and actually seems it sounds even worst as you progress and that's a huge turn-off from me. Sigh. Waiting for tomorrow to see more reviews and decide if I buy it on friday or wait until a price-drop.

m.i.s.

Banned

To put it in perspective though Edge do give Nintendo games a much tougher time than most. It's like they think they have a duty to keep their standards up. They have the same problem with almost every other company that makes excellent games (like Platinum for example). If their standards drop, even slightly they get penalised more harshly than others.

For example W101 got a six, with Edge actually blaming the gamepad for bad gameplay. This was one of the worst reviews I've ever seen by that publication though. They are usually pretty thorough and fair. Except for FPS' which for some reason usually get very high scores. Oh and GTA. They love GTA.

Edge uses the full scale where the review score is concerned. A 5 is an average score, so 4 below average.

I'm trying to look for it online, but just as a way of comparison, I'm fairly sure Edge awarded Yoshi's Story a 7 out of 10.

I quite enjoyed Yoshi's Story for what it was; a fun if unambitious 2D platformer in an era where they were becoming few and far between. Had some fun if somewhat rudimentary ideas like 2.5D presentation and scaling of levels.

rjc571

Banned

They tracked off screen in YI DS. I just played through level 4-1 and I was able to collect red coins that were off screen in the final section (a long, vertical stretch with falling rocks) by throwing eggs straight up.

Even if they didn't in Yoshi's Island, that sort of drives home the point that essentially nothing was done to update/improve that game at all. I mean I love Yoshi's Island, but it looks like they did nothing to address my minor complaints with the game, while just making some parts (music) noticeably worse.

maxcriden

They tracked off screen in YI DS. I just played through level 4-1 and I was able to collect red coins that were off screen in the final section (a long, vertical stretch with falling rocks) by throwing eggs straight up.

I know what you mean, but I dunno if that counts as "off screen" though in the sense they use here, since in YIDS the eggs went from the bottom to the top screen, and both have gameplay, and here gameplay is confined to one screen.

Lernaean

Banned
To sum up...

• Unresponsive controls
  • Poor level design
  • Anachronistic checkpointing
  • Lack of anything 'new'
  • Very poor use of 3D
  • 'Horrid' music
Mine is already on its way though, so I'll see what it's like myself soon...

I'm not arguing that YNI will be a great game, i actually believe it won't, but Edge gave a 6 to W101 because reasons including unresponsive controls. Sometimes it's not the controls, it's the fact that people with no thumbs review games.

I'm not arguing that YNI will be a great game, i actually believe it won't, but Edge gave a 6 to W101 because reasons including unresponsive controls. Sometimes it's not the controls, it's the fact that people with no thumbs review games.

Derrick from Gamexplain said it controls at least as well as Yoshi's Island and the level design is quite good. I'm not sure who to believe, but I do tend to agree with Gamexplain in general (aside from their TW101 review).

rjc571

Banned
I know what you mean, but I dunno if that counts as "off screen" though in the sense they use here, since in YIDS the eggs went from the bottom to the top screen, and both have gameplay, and here gameplay is confined to one screen.

The eggs collected coins that were above even the top screen.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Derrick from Gamexplain said it controls at least as well as Yoshi's Island and the level design is quite good. I'm not sure who to believe, but I do tend to agree with Gamexplain in general (aside from their TW101 review).

I'd suggest believing Gamexplain.

Goli

What's weird about this game is how inconsistent the art is. Sometimes it looks really good and other times really not.

These screens in the OP are examples of what I am quite fond of:

1902824_819308821432263_311016621_n.png

1798757_819308811432264_1863910673_n.png

the first one looks like an oil painting, and the second a watercolour. it's pretty neat. the different styles still do convey that inconsistency, though...

Anyways, I'm not exactly hyped for this seeing as I don't have any great attachment to Yoshi's Island or any of the Yoshi platformers, but I do think it looks pretty good overall. I'll probably pick it up whenever I see it on sale for <$30. It's $45 in Canada which is just crazy.

It's not inconsistency, it's eclecticism.

TreIII

Scheduled to be released right after Bowser gets his own platforming game.

:(

Grizzo

Scheduled to be released right after Bowser gets his own platforming game.

:(

I don't know how practical a Bowser platforming game would be. This guy is so slow and so powerful, it would feel like those levels in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. That was fun for a (short) while, but I don't know how a whole game of that would feel.

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread! All I can say for now is that I'm eagerly waiting for the reviews.

maxcriden

I don't know how practical a Bowser platforming game would be. This guy is so slow and so powerful, it would feel like those levels in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. That was fun for a (short) while, but I don't know how a whole game of that would feel.

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread! All I can say for now is that I'm eagerly waiting for the reviews.

I don't remember, have you played Bowser's Inside Story? He's a bit lumbering in that game, and IIRC there's not much platforming, but it sure is fun to play as him (especially in Giant boss battles with the DS in Portrait Mode).

ETA: just checked out the video, wow, I don't remember that at all from TTYD. I really need to replay that game. Needless to say, controlling Bowser in BIS is definitely nothing like in that video.

Damn at the Edge review. I tend to trust their reviews more than most. I was hoping some reports about good level design and later difficult levels might show more positives for the game.

I did enjoy Yoshi's Island DS, which they gave a 6/10, but a 4/10? That's bad. And this game doesn't look to have the new mechanics that YIDS did in introducing new babies. Instead, it looks and sounds worse with gyro segments.

Speaking of which, when will Nintendo stop forcing gyro or microphone blowing into all their games? There's no reasons for it in games like Luigi's Mansion or 3D World.

DedValve

Banned
I wish they had went with a crayon look. Some of the artwork looks really cool with the crayola style, would have been glorious to see a 2d crayon yoshi.

Grizzo

I don't remember, have you played Bowser's Inside Story? He's a bit lumbering in that game, and IIRC there's not much platforming, but it sure is fun to play as him (especially in Giant boss battles with the DS in Portrait Mode).

Sadly, I didn't get the chance to play it! My knowledge in handheld Mario RPGs is seriously lacking. Maybe they could make a game where Bowser acts like a Transform or a big Mecha machine and he has to fight against huge enemies (like robots or something)? Something really wild, with an healthy dose of fun and humor!

Speaking of which, when will Nintendo stop forcing gyro or microphone blowing into all their games? There's no reasons for it in games like Luigi's Mansion or 3D World.

I hate these. Especially when it's not working all that great (like blowing up those damn balloons in Mario Kart DS)

maxcriden

Sadly, I didn't get the chance to play it! My knowledge in handheld Mario RPGs is seriously lacking. Maybe they could make a game where Bowser acts like a Transform or a big Mecha machine and he has to fight against huge enemies (like robots or something)? Something really wild, with an healthy dose of fun and humor!

Ha! You really need to play that game (and the others in that series). I think you will be surprised to see how close to the mark you are with your idea.

20140312_221339.jpg

I've only reached level 1-3 and the game is good for now, everything feels ok, nothing surprised me. I have to say that making a perfect score SEEMS (I'm really at the beginning) more correct or polished than before, because red eggs (wich give you stars) aren't rare or unique at all, so it's more likely to finish with a good 30. Another thing that happened in Yoshi's Island was taking the wrong way and having to restart everything, for now this didn't happen but I guess I've only been lucky (Edit: yes I was, fuck). Red coins however, are still yellow like other coins so you have to collect everything and some things appear to be... ok I guess, again nothing special. Gyro controls with the mine cart were ok but fuck, why can't you jump on enemies!
What about the music, you've probably heard about it... some remixes of the theme are good but nothing stands out for now, I actually liked the 1-3 version.
You shouldn't even read what I'm writing because it's only the beginning but I'll keep you updated.

Edit: another problem with red coins is that they don't follow any rule, you can find them everywhere. Definitely this doesn't feel like a Nintendo game at all, but it's still fun.

i got it earlier and played a good chunk of it. i quite like it, nothing spectacular i probably wouldn't buy it at full price again.

Top Bottom