• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's New Island | OT | Is you is or is you ain't my Baby (Mario)

No, I would not buy the game no matter what. It's ok if it's not as good as the first Yoshi's Island, but it'd still need to be a good platforming game to buy it (at full price, I've bought Sonic 2006, too, but only for "collection" reasons). At least I would definitely not be happy with the game no matter what.
Within reason of course. I can't imagine you would like it if it was as fundamentally broken as Sonic 06.

Lernaean

Banned
There was a time when i actually bought or dismissed games based on Edge reviews.
Edge used to be that kind of publication bridging the whole gaming crowd, it was hugely informed concerning Japanese games, it had arcade articles often and for a while an arcade section, price in yen, the lot.

I still have some of the old issues, i have this one from the NAOMI/DC area where they had an article about all the different first party SEGA developers, amazing issue! Edge was into it, it was hype, it was hardcore. Now Edge isn't even a shadow of it's former self.

It gives bad scores to excellent games blatantly blaming the controls when in reality the controls are fine and it's just that the game is too hard for them, and at the other hand they give perfect scores to bloated, bug ridden, glitch prone AAA games, scores they never deserved. And also the fact that a few months back they revised past scores and gave Dark Souls a 10? I mean, i'm a huge fan, DS is one of my fave last gen, but with lower than 30 or even 20 fps in certain areas? No, it doesn't deserve a 10, it deserves the 9 it had and the clear message that if the game had no technical problems it would be a 10. Giving it a 10 is like telling From: 'no one cares about performance, keep doing what you do' and that's the wrong message.

Edge lately feels like all those other publications that give scores based on hype, so a BF or a CoD would get good scores to please the huge playerbase, but don't expect anything more than 6 on a game no one knows like W101, or a good score on technically perfect DKCTF, because reasons.

Last but not least, as i said before, i don't believe YNI is a perfect game, i don't even believe it's a great one, but 4/10 means the game has so many bugs it's unplayable, and that's when/if you manage to make it boot. I'm sure YNI is not like that.
Ever since i stopped caring about reviews i have discovered gems i couldn't imagine they existed.

MrBadger

While I'm waiting for this game, I've decided to kick off a fresh playthrough of Yoshi's Island DS. So far, I've finished the first world and I'm enjoying it. Although one thing I remember hating about this game is how Artoon took shortcuts later on to avoid showing the bosses actually transform. It's definitely not bad so far though.

Einbroch

Banned
I would not argue against that, because it's true, but even if you are a fan you can see if a game just flat out sucks. Sonic 2006, Sonic & the Black Knight and (to a much lesser degree, but more relevant because it's a Yoshi game) Yoshi's Story are examples where I felt this way.

Completely agree. I don't think a 4/10 sucks when a company uses the entire scale. I don't think this game sucks at all from what I've seen and read.

Salih

I beat World 1 so far and have to say the graphics are beautiful on the 3DS. This is another one of those cases where those trailers don't do it justice. Well, it has always been like that regarding 3DS games.
Moreover the plattforming and level design are pretty much what you expect for World 1, solid but nothing fancy - it controls like a charm and plays alot like the predecessor. There are some new gameplay elements here and there but nothing ground shattering.
World 1 was pretty easy but damn some stuff is well hidden in those levels. Collecting everything will surely be a challenge.

While Yoshi's New Island doesn't invent itself and lacks certain gameplay innovations you would have wished for it still is a charming plattformer.

Also yeah the music is mediocre.

btw. Does somebody know how many worlds there are in total?

BowieZ

Banned
It just hit me that there should be hype and excitement about this release, I mean, the second sequel to one of the greatest platformers/Mario games ever, a classic from 20 years ago with modern 3D effects complementing the layered graphic style.

Yet the whimper it has made speaks loudest of all. I'm sure the game will be reasonably enjoyable, but I mean, crosswords are reasonably enjoyable... Nintendo, get your act together.

Shame that it had to turn out to be such a baby game. It really does seem like it was created to appeal to 7-10 year olds. And that's fine.

It just hit me that there should be hype and excitement about this release, I mean, the second sequel to one of the greatest platformers/Mario games ever, a classic from 20 years ago with modern 3D effects complementing the layered graphic style.

Yet the whimper it has made speaks loudest of all. I'm sure the game will be reasonably enjoyable, but I mean, crosswords are reasonably enjoyable... Nintendo, get your act together.

That really has a lot to do with the developer and their not so great track record. At least that's what had killed my excitement for this game. I have faith in Good Feel though, and I am looking forward to what Yarn Yoshi can do to liven up this series.

Kinsei

Banned
I've decided that I'll pick the game up with my first paycheck from my new job. It looks like I'll get enjoyment out of it, even if the game isn't amazing.

Just saw gamespot's review on Youtube and they gave it a 5 as well. This isn't going to be pretty

It seems to be getting pretty mixed reviews. Some bad, some mediocre, and some good.

rawktapus

That really has a lot to do with the developer and their not so great track record. At least that's what had killed my excitement for this game. I have faith in Good Feel though, and I am looking forward to what Yarn Yoshi can do to liven up this series.

The silence on Yarn Yoshi has made me nervous, but hopefully they're just planning a big re-reveal for April or E3

balohna

Destructoid (Carter, 7/10) and USGamer (Parish, 4/5) basically said "it doesn't do anything new but it's still fun".

I'm not gonna rush out the door to buy this, but I think I'll pick it up eventually. I still haven't even played YIDS and now I think I may be better off picking that up cheap instead.

maxcriden

I've read through several reviews, positive and negative, and I'm still looking forward to this. I'll be really surprised if I don't enjoy it quite a bit.

Almost finished world 2 and I'm having fun, Yoshi's Island gameplay still delivers! I like the new ideas they put out for this game, if only everything was more ambitious. Anyway if you liked the DS game you're going to like this one too!

maxcriden

Almost finished world 2 and I'm having fun, Yoshi's Island gameplay still delivers! I like the new ideas they put out for this game, if only everything was more ambitious. Anyway if you liked the DS game you're going to like this one too!

Sweet, thanks for the update! I have a good feeling about this game.

ohlawd

I've seen the word "fun" pop up enough that I think I'll enjoy this.

Only Yoshi game I've played is Story and I loved that one. No plans to play the other games too. oh snap gaming heresy right up in here.

Honestly looking at all these videos of New Yoshi Island makes me want to go out and buy Yoshi Island DS instead. Both have terrible music but at least the art style looks serviceable in that one.

Semajer

I've only just finished the first level, but it looks much nicer on the console than it does in pictures and videos online.

Who ever decided it would be a good idea to remove the red tint from the red coins needs to be fired though.

Maggots

Banned
I'm pretty interested in this game, but Yoshi's foot size is driving me nuts. The in game model doesn't match the artwork at all.

THIS!!!... I so long for the days of crayon drawn yoshi from the first game... with the spring in his jump and the slurp in his tongue, and multiple flutterjumps that didn't sound like a cat Dying... GONE ARE THE DAYS.... WOE IS ME!

bumpkin

Is the background music the same in every stage? Or is it the same in all stages, but different in each "world?"

MrBadger

I got that Yoshi game on my ambassador 3DS. I think it's the one everyone loves but I hear it's a shoddy port?

I think the port's fine. It still plays the same, the only real difference is the fact they added in Yoshi's voice from Yoshi's Story. If you can tolerate that, you can have a good time with the GBA version of Yoshi's Island.

ohlawd

But it's the only way to play the Original Yoshi Island outside of owning the SNES version.

well that's true. Got no choice if I want to play YI.

I think the port's fine. It still plays the same, the only real difference is the fact they added in Yoshi's voice from Yoshi's Story. If you can tolerate that, you can have a good time with the GBA version of Yoshi's Island.

oh I can manage. I'll still pick up YNI, finish it and start YI after. Am I gonna see the light?

Kinsei

Banned
Video of the final boss: youtube.com/watch?v=Lv_TYktjv6I That's dumb, but I can honestly say that I never saw it coming. For those of you who want to know who it is without watching the video, it's
adult Bowser who came through a hole in space and time.

Camjo-Z

Well, I've been playing my Ambassador Yoshi's Island for the past few days and I like it a lot more than I previously did. I didn't realize there was a focus on getting 100% collectibles, the game's a lot more fun when you're trying to explore the level looking for stuff rather than just blasting through it like a normal Mario game as I was before.

This comes out on the eShop at midnight tonight, right? I'll think I'll get it, the claims of it being easier are fine with me considering I've already died numerous times in World 1 of YI. (That falling rock segment!!)

also i agree those clown shoes yoshi's wearing are ridiculous

maxcriden

I can't seem to find the download size anywhere.

Edit: It's 3369 blocks.

Adding to OP. Thanks HS!

oh I can manage. I'll still pick up YNI, finish it and start YI after. Am I gonna see the light?

From what I understand there are some serious limitations with the performance of that port (for ambassadors). I would really recommend the GBA version instead. It can be had for a pretty low price. I would feel free to start with the new game first, if you like it you'll probably love the original (and maybe YI DS as well).

rjc571

Banned
Like all SNES ports on the GBA, Yoshi's Island suffers from a cramped viewing area, since the resolution of the GBA screen is much lower than the resolution that SNES games were displayed at. This is particularly a big problem in Yoshi's Island since the gameplay involves collecting items, which are now much harder to spot. It's not totally broken, but if you have cash to spare, you're much better off plopping down 75 bucks or so for a used SNES and a copy of the cartridge.

MrBadger

Well you'll see where YNI got all its ideas from. I am sort of curious in hearing the opinion of someone who experienced New Island before the original, though

Done the first three levels, first impressions.

1. Game looks good. Love the Back/foregrounds, Yoshi does look good. It's not as expressive as YI but it's hard to have that charm (I think) with polygon character. Sprites do not appear to be feasible (M&L Dream Team Iwata Asks seem to indicate this)

2. Music is fine, in fact I love the underground version of the main theme. Third level's version is lovely as well.

3. Controls are on point, I don't understand the issue with responsiveness. So far not an issue whatsoever. I will say that you need to use the d-pad over the circle pad, personal preference but I couldn't get to grips with it.

4. Egg aiming is going to take getting used to. There's an animation start up with him then the reticule moves, I wish it was a bit quicker.

Edit: 5. Forgot to say, there's a gyro control bit, reminded me of the Donkey Kong arcade game in Nintendoland ie the greatest arcade game ever made.

I think the music will just offend the same people that were offended by Yoshi's Story.

Will certainly play some more but yeah, it sure is Yoshi's Island.

maxcriden

Like all SNES ports on the GBA, Yoshi's Island suffers from a cramped viewing area, since the resolution of the GBA screen is much lower than the resolution that SNES games were displayed at. This is particularly a big problem in Yoshi's Island since the gameplay involves collecting items, which are now much harder to spot. It's not totally broken, but if you have cash to spare, you're much better off plopping down 75 bucks or so for a used SNES and a copy of the cartridge.

You're probably right abut all of this, but just to play devil's advocate, the GBA version does have extra levels and from what GAFers say if you don't have a CRT TV an SNES is not going to look very good on your TV.

MrBadger

If anybody wants to see the boss fights, here's an upload. massive spoilers, obviously. Assuming you can't already guess who the last boss is.

It's a poor imitation of the YI1 final boss, followed by Bowser showing up for absolutely no reason. Frankly, I love how they didn't even try to make an excuse for him being there, and in that time period.

RM8

I could be playing this by midnight if I didn't hate the idea of buying digital versions of games available on retail :(

Top Bottom