• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's New Island | OT | Is you is or is you ain't my Baby (Mario)

Downloading now. Also can people please quit posting YouTube links? They're embedded on mobile and the thumbnail is a screen grab of the last boss.

Mistle

If anybody in Australia wants this early, I saw Target accidentally selling it (in fact the cartridge and club Nintendo code was even in the box, easily stolen. so incompetent, lol)

Arzest

Development Producer
Naoto Ohshima (Co-creator of Sonic and Eggman, Director of Sonic CD, NiGHTS, Burning Rangers, Blinx 1 & 2, and Pinobee 1, Story Event Coordinator and CG Movie Producer: Sonic Adventure, Senior Producers: FlingSmash and Yoshi's Island DS, Executive Producer: Blue Dragon, Producers: Yoshi's Topsy-Turvy, Special Thanks: The Last Story)

Director
Masahide Kobayashi (Director: Knuckles Chaotix and Metal Head, Planning Director: FlingSmash, Lead Planner: Blue Dragon, Planning: Shinobi, Planning Director: Yoshi's Topsy-Turvy)

Game Design
Tomohide Hayashi (Planning: FlingSmash, Monster Planners: Blue Dragon)
Jun Imanishi (Project Manager: FlingSmash, Lead Tester: Blue Dragon)
Ryo Sato (Monster Planners: Blue Dragon, Options: Virtua Fighter 4)
Takashi Nakashima (Director of the Opening Movie: Mario & Sonic 1, Event Scene Support: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Movie Section Director: Phantasy Star Portable)
Masaya Kaneko (Planning/Planners: FlingSmash and Blue Dragon, Special Thanks: Shining Force Neo and Panzer Dragoon Saga)
Teppei Iwanaga (Game Designer: We Cheer 2 at Machatin Inc.)
Satoshi Imaeda (Package Design/Packaging on Snatcher and Ganbare Goemon: Uchū Kaizoku Akogingu)
Daisuke Hagiya
Hirotsugu Kobayashi (Special Thanks: Vampire Rain and Blue Dragon)
Yuko Tatsuko

Art Director
Masamichi Harada (Art Director on Blinx 1 & 2. Lead Field Artist in Sonic Adventure!)

Field Design
Koki Mogi (Design: FlingSmash, Yoshi's Topsy-Turvy, and Yoshi's Island DS, Planet Designers: Ristar)
Sho Kumagai (Design: FlingSmash, VFX: The Last Story, Town Map Model C Artists: Blue Dragon, Modeling & Animation: Pokemon Battle Revolution)
Nobuaki Kuroda (Map Designer: Xenosaga Ep. III)
Yasuko Hamaoka
Kana Fujibayashi
Ryuichi Okubo

Character Modeling & Motion
Yoshihide Sasagawa (Background Map Model Artists: Lost Odyssey)
Hiroshi Arai (Concept Model Artist: Blue Dragon, Concept Modeling: lost Odyssey, Character: the Last Story)

Event & Effect Design
Tatsuro Matsunaga (Artists: Blinx 2)

System Programming
Tomoh Kondo (Game Programmers: Blinx 1 (as Tomoo Kondo))

Lead Programming
Yuki Hatakeyama (Field Program Support: Sonic Adventure/DX, Lead Programming: FlingSmash, Yoshi's Island DS, Programming/Program: Yoshi's Topsy-Turvy, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Space Programmers: Space Channel 5 Part 1 and Part 2)

Player Programming
Tooru Funakura (2D Works Programming: Drakengard 2, Sound Programming: Bullet Witch)

Enemy Programming
Tomoya Tateishi (Event Programmer: Blue Dragon, Game Programmers: Blinx 2)

Object Programming
Masatoshi Sato (Program: Sega Bass Fishing)
Keiichi Yamanaka (Programmers: Vampire Rain)
Taruhiko Kakinuma

UI & Minigame Programming
Shinichi Kawamoto (Programming/Program Support: Sega Ages Hokuto no Ken and Sega Ages Fantasy Zone, Shenmue, Sega Bass Fishing)

Boss Programming
Takanori Yoshida (Programmers: Ninja Gaiden 2004, Monster Rancher 4, Rygar: The Legendary Adventure)
Kenji Miyakawa (Main Programmer: Sakura Wars: So Long my Love)
Atsuhi Gotoh (programming: FlingSmash, Monster Lead Programmer: Blue Dragon, Game programmers: Blinx 1)

TA & Map Programming
Mikio Kume (Interface Programmers: Sonic and the Black Knight, Boss Programmers: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Quality Assurance: Sonic Unleashed Wii/PS2)

Technical Support
Satoshi Kimura (Programmers/Game Programmers: Blinx 1, Pinobee 1, Vampire Rain, Fortune Street)

Special Thanks
Noboru Shirasu (Real Time Even Lead: Blue Dragon, Planning: FlingSmash, Project Manager: Fortune Street, Graphic Design: Vib-Ripple)
Kunihiro Shirahata (Coordinator: Guardian Heroes, Assistant Coordinator: Hang-On GP, Special Thanks: Phantasy Star IV)

Character Modeling & Motion
Imageepoch Inc.

T's Music Co., Ltd

Music
Chamy.Ishi (Mario Party 9 and Island Tour)

Sound Effects
Yuhki Mori
Yutaka Takahashi (Both on Mario Party 9 and likely Island Tour, the same company worked on them)

The rest is Nintendo.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I think the port's fine. It still plays the same, the only real difference is the fact they added in Yoshi's voice from Yoshi's Story. If you can tolerate that, you can have a good time with the GBA version of Yoshi's Island.

It also has 6 challenging new levels and counts how often you've died. I actually prefer the GBA version.

Rootbeer

Banned
Wario64 saying that you can get this game with a bonus $30 gift card from Target on Sunday... anyone know where to find the ad that claims this?

Is the background music the same in every stage? Or is it the same in all stages, but different in each "world?"
It's always the same theme and the same remixes are in every world, I heard a new remix in 2-1 however but then everything was the same.

Played through the first world tonight. Didn't 100% everything, some of it is really sneaky in how they hide it, but I was having a good time. Music sounds better coming out of the system than those videos and I think it looks better with 3D. Some of the stuff you see in clips looks mushed together - makes more sense when you're roaming around with it turned on.

I think the feet are still too big but that a small gripe on my part.

So yeah - so far I like it. I wish there were more control options but I'll get used to one of the two configurations I guess. I think anyone who really wants to hate on it is going to not be happy with any of it but if you have an open mind, give it a chance. I say that as someone who loved the first one a lot.

MarkusRJR

I really want the LE system but I already have the Animal Crossing LE. It's such a waste of money but it's a green 3DS and it looks adorable. I had a green DS lite back in the day and it was my fave color.

maxcriden

I know what you mean. It'll be another 9 hours or so before I get home with my copy.

I actually brought my 3DS with me to work today! I'm hoping to get most of Four Swords Anniversary Edition finished up if I have time.

Also, added to OP:

630x.jpg

Month Of Yoshi: Your Travel Guide To Yoshi's Island

We know our competitors are eager to tempt potential holiday-goers as well, but there can be absolutely no substitute. Green Hill Zone is a dreadful place, highly prone to unsightly industrialisation.
\

Heh!

Camjo-Z

I got to the first castle! This music is pretty good, IDK what everyone is complaining about. I mean, the weird off-tune kazoo instrument they use in some of the pieces is kind of annoying, but at least the main song used for all the remixes is nice. The level designs haven't been too challenging so far, but we'll see if it ramps up or not.

The graphics are also not as poor as I originally thought, everything looks a lot better on the 3DS screen than it does in trailers.

The only clearly bad thing so far is the slight control lag for Yoshi, his slower run and egg-digesting animation are definite downgrades from the super-fast original.

Played through the first world tonight. Didn't 100% everything, some of it is really sneaky in how they hide it, but I was having a good time. Music sounds better coming out of the system than those videos and I think it looks better with 3D. Some of the stuff you see in clips looks mushed together - makes more sense when you're roaming around with it turned on.

Don't pretend this is actually a thing.

JoeM86

This game is woefully under-rated. The way some places and people have trashed it just doesn't fit. The gameplay is nice and tight. Level design is good and imaginative in hiding things. Music, ok I'll give them that. Graphics are nice and I actually get it now I've seen it on the 3DS.

It doesn't deserve the hate it's getting.

Tillbo

This game is woefully under-rated. The way some places and people have trashed it just doesn't fit. The gameplay is nice and tight. Level design is good and imaginative in hiding things. Music, ok I'll give them that. Graphics are nice and I actually get it now I've seen it on the 3DS.

It doesn't deserve the hate it's getting.

Agreed....only done the first couple of worlds but enjoying it so far. Personally I think the graphics work really well in 3D

Oswen

The game is actually nice, the visuals are actually very pleasant with 3D on.
Music is horrible though,a pity when the SNES one had such an amazing soundtrack.

Mael

Ok finally bought it and tried it (my 3DS is on standbye with Yoshi entering the 1rst boss room...I mean 1-8).
Well music is really atrocious....less embarrassing than Yoshi Story but still very bad (seriously baby yoshis cries for the theme song? WTF).
gfx is really good, they clearly choosed this style over the YI/YIDS style because they needed to implement 3D somehow (it's on 3DS after all), so the models are in 3D and the result is this style.
It's clean and aside from yoshi being slightly too small for my taste, it works and it's very good.
I'm playing in 3D btw.
Controls, jump and everything is like YI/YIDS, throwing eggs however is objectively bad.
There's a delay between the moment you press the button and Yoshi fetch his egg, it slows the pace of the game and is unnecessarily making it harder too (since it's less responsive).
Yoshi no longer tries to launch eggs when he's out of eggs, and that's a bit of the charm of yoshi thrown to the wolves for no reason...
Difficulty, whoever said this was too easy is a hack.
the point of the game is quite clearly not to get to the end of the level but to make a high score.
The objects are well hidden so far and proves quite a challenge to be found (unlike most recent Mario games where they don't even hide the coins/stars).
Interestingly I'm having a harder time collecting lives than in YI or YIDS (that last one was the hardest but by World 2 I was already at something like 100 lives).

The only real problem is the music, the rest is actually good.
Not the best game I played on 3DS this year but really not bad, it's more my style of platformer than nsmb 2 or 3D Land (or even DKCR but that's a wii game anyway).

The transformations uses the tilt controls, they're less shitty than Universal gravitation but I'd rather use the usual controls....I prefer my motion controls one handed.
That's something that was sorely missing from YIDS, more than welcome here.
Only boss I saw is the most unimaginative and boring boss fight I've ever had the displeasure of fighting this side of the shitty boss fights we get in 2D Mario.

I actually like this game.
This isn't a game for babies like Yoshi Story or that horrible universal gravitation game, if you replace the music it would even the best successor we got in years.
Heck it's making me appreciate YIDS music that much more....that's not a good thing.

Zing

Banned
l preordered the game from Amazon, but thanks to Prime, all non-Prime orders get the shaft. My game won't arrive until next friday. I reserved another copy at my local Best Buy and will pick it up in an hour. I'd just cancel my Amazon order, but it's $5 cheaper, so I'll just return the Amazon copy to Best Buy.

I also acquired Fire Emblem this week, but I intentionally held off so I could focus on Yoshi.

Like all SNES ports on the GBA, Yoshi's Island suffers from a cramped viewing area, since the resolution of the GBA screen is much lower than the resolution that SNES games were displayed at. This is particularly a big problem in Yoshi's Island since the gameplay involves collecting items, which are now much harder to spot. It's not totally broken, but if you have cash to spare, you're much better off plopping down 75 bucks or so for a used SNES and a copy of the cartridge.
I agree. The music also sounds slightly worse on the GBA and the voices they added quickly get on my nerves. Not to mention that the hardware cannot handle some of the graphical effects, e.g. touch fuzzy get dizzy.

maxcriden

l preordered the game from Amazon, but thanks to Prime, all non-Prime orders get the shaft. My game won't arrive until next friday. I reserved another copy at my local Best Buy and will pick it up in an hour. I'd just cancel my Amazon order, but it's $5 cheaper, so I'll just return the Amazon copy to Best Buy.

I also acquired Fire Emblem this week, but I intentionally held off so I could focus on Yoshi.

If this happens in the future you can complain to Amazon if you notice this shipping issue in advance, and they will almost assuredly fix it for you.

Zing

Banned
It's happened to the last three games I have pre-ordered. Prior to Prime being implemented in Canada, a pre-ordered game would ship on release day and arrive a day later (I live near the shipping centre located in Mississauga). Now, the games sit at "preparing for shipment" for three or four days, then get shipped.

It didn't matter much before, since I could just buy locally instead, but with the Canada price increase, Amazon kept their prices lower for a bit, so I pre-ordered everything I could to save money. So, this is all just a rant from a cheapass who already used up his free month of Prime and misses the old times of one-day delivery super saver shipping.

maxcriden

It's happened to the last three games I have pre-ordered. Prior to Prime being implemented in Canada, a pre-ordered game would ship on release day and arrive a day later (I live near the shipping centre located in Mississauga). Now, the games sit at "preparing for shipment" for three or four days, then get shipped.

It didn't matter much before, since I could just buy locally instead, but with the Canada price increase, Amazon kept their prices lower for a bit, so I pre-ordered everything I could to save money. So, this is all just a rant from a cheapass who already used up his free month of Prime and misses the old times of one-day delivery super saver shipping.

I would still say if you contact them they will get you release date delivery. Have you tried contacting their customer service? They will really bend over backwards to make a customer happy.

Kinsei

Banned
A question for those of you who have the game. Is there multiple control options? I noticed the default control scheme is A to jump, B to eat, and X to aim + throw. I'd prefer B to jump, Y to eat, and A to aim + throw.

Camjo-Z

A question for those of you who have the game. Is there multiple control options? I noticed the default control scheme is A to jump, B to eat, and X to aim + throw. I'd prefer B to jump, Y to eat, and A to aim + throw.

There are two control options, luckily for you the second one is exactly what you're looking for.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Happy to see most who have bought the game are actually enjoying it. I hope Max will like it too :).

MrBadger

Is it just me who's bothered by the fact the final level reuses
fucking everything
from Yoshi's island's final castle?

just thought I'd post one more rant before I go and buy the game and enjoy it.

Zing

Banned
The game has no manual or booklet of any kind. Grumble. I was hoping Nintendo would keep that to their primarily digital releases (Wind Waker and such).

Mael

The game has no manual or booklet of any kind. Grumble. I was hoping Nintendo would keep that to their primarily digital releases (Wind Waker and such).

The manual is now part of the game in the home menu for every single release from Nintendo for all 3DS and WiiU games.
They're robbing us blind of a decent manual and pocketing the profit for no good reasons.
Seriously it's annoying.

Happy to see most who have bought the game are actually enjoying it. I hope Max will like it too :).

I gotta say the antihype surrounding the game really helped make me appreciate what we got (except the fucking music).
I mean unlike that other Team ninja powered cooperation where the media were saying total BS and actually liked the trash that was the gameplay.
Here the game is way better than the reviews would let you think it is.

Honestly, the GameXplain video review made me want to pick this up. He makes solid points, and the gameplay in the video actually looks like classic Yoshi's Island. I'll try to pick it up today and give impressions later.

ryushe

If it weren't for the fact that I still haven't opened up my copy of Bravely Default...

And that I splurged on Dark Souls II and its collector's edition guide...

AND that I double dipped on Final Fantasy X HD (collector's edition at that), I'd be all over this game, but now I'll have to wait until it's cheaper. Much cheaper.

Still, can't say the tepid reviews are exactly filling me with anticipation.

Don't pretend this is actually a thing.

No, it's not perfect - and I'm sure I'll find tracks that I don't like. However, I thought it sounded better off the system than it did listening to the videos I've watched.

I'm also not trying to compare it to the original. That music is flawless to me.

maxcriden

Yoshi's New Island Iwata Asks

Tezuka: We actually considered making this game for the Nintendo Wii U system but we were told the Yarn Yoshi game by our fellow developers at Good-Feel would be the Yoshi game for this system.

Iwata: What is Wii U? [laughs]

Tezuka: [laughs]

Iwata: More seriously, we wanted to ensure players of a younger age got to play this new game. Our internal numbers show that much younger players own a 3DS compared to a Wii U.

Tezuka: But is Yarn Yoshi not a more kid-friendly game? Miyamoto-san described it as similar to Kirby's Epic Yarn which my family really enjoyed. [laughs]

Iwata: That is true. We had internal discussions about this, so perhaps it is for the best that Good-Feel has moved on to a different project we feel will strike more of a chord with Wii U users, using NFC technology.

:-o Kirby NFC game confirmed?!

maxcriden

You're not Anihawk, link or didn't happen.

No, it's not real of course. I know I'm not AniHawk, just keeping his Iwata: what is wii u joke alive. I thought that was pretty funny. This was just for my own amusement, hopefully others will find it amusing as well.

Mael

No, it's not real of course. I know I'm not AniHawk, just keeping his Iwata: what is wii u joke alive. I thought that was pretty funny. This was just for my own amusement, hopefully others will find it amusing as well.

It loses its point if it's not on a Iwata Ask thread though, that's why it's so funny when Anihawk does it.
It's the repetition more than anything too

rjc571

Banned

I didn't find it amusing at all. At a gIance I thought that it was from a real Iwata asks and that Yarn Yoshi had been cancelled.

Top Bottom