• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's New Island | OT | Is you is or is you ain't my Baby (Mario)

No, it's not real of course. I know I'm not AniHawk, just keeping his Iwata: what is wii u joke alive. I thought that was pretty funny. This was just for my own amusement, hopefully others will find it amusing as well.

I didn't find it amusing at all. At a gIance I thought that it was from a real Iwata asks and that Yarn Yoshi had been cancelled.

I found it hilarious Max!

Camjo-Z

Every level in this game has the same music, just remixed. Thats disgusting

Super_Mario_World_Front_Page.jpg

disgusting

I'm only on stage 1-3 and already I have 27 lives. That's a tad extreme.

Playing through Yoshi's Island on my DS, and I had 50 lives by the middle of World 1. Not that extreme.

I honestly think Nintendo should just ditch lives, it's been pretty useless in Mario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi...

maxcriden

It loses its point if it's not on a Iwata Ask thread though, that's why it's so funny when Anihawk does it.
It's the repetition more than anything too

I see. I would say the humor is just kind of to each their own. I understand what you mean, though, and I appreciate your perspective.

I didn't find it amusing at all. At a gIance I thought that it was from a real Iwata asks and that Yarn Yoshi had been cancelled.

That was the joke, that they would cancel Yarn Yoshi and put Good-Feel on an NFC game. I know you're a fellow Yoshi fan, though, so I'm sorry if this fell flat for you.

I found it hilarious Max!

Thank you.

Super_Mario_World_Front_Page.jpg

disgusting

Haha, this is the first thing I thought of, too. Most 2D Marios have very same-y music throughout, and I've never had an issue with that. It's only 3D games (and maybe 2D DKC games) from Nintendo where I'd expect a more diverse soundtrack.

ryushe

If it weren't for the fact that I still haven't opened up my copy of Bravely Default...

And that I splurged on Dark Souls II and its collector's edition guide...

AND that I double dipped on Final Fantasy X HD (collector's edition at that), I'd be all over this game, but now I'll have to wait until it's cheaper. Much cheaper.

Still, can't say the tepid reviews are exactly filling me with anticipation.
walked into GameStop, talked to one of the game advisors about dark souls II for like 15 minutes, walked out with Yoshi's New Island...

How did that even happen?

Zing

Banned
Every level in this game has the same music, just remixed. Thats disgusting
Spoken like someone who has not actually played the game, or only played the first two levels. Please keep the hyperbole at home.

I do find the music… interesting. It is not the musical masterpiece of the SNES game for sure. The "secret room" music in particular is very weird.

Anyone else having trouble with the controls? For some bizarre reason, I keep wanting to press B to jump and Y to flick tongue. I know I can change controls, but I like to try to learn defaults rather than switch. It's odd since other games like Mario 3D Land use A to jump, and I have no trouble.

…

Hmm. I just checked the SNES game, and the default there is indeed for B to jump, Y to flick tongue, and A to throw (although I always used R). I guess I will just change the settings. I also checked Mario 3D Land and you can jump with A or B. I guess I usually use B.

maxcriden

You know, I didn't know what the controls were going to be until today, but I'm kind of glad you don't use R for egg throwing as you did in the GBA Yoshi's Island. The R button on the GBA and DS Lite was pretty legit, but I don't love the one on the OG 3DS, it feels a bit click-y to me and it's harder IMO to use naturally. So I'm glad I can stick with face buttons, although it will probably take a bit getting used to. Leaving in 20 mins for home, with Yoshi's New Island at Gamestop on the way!

Haha, this is the first thing I thought of, too. Most 2D Marios have very same-y music throughout, and I've never had an issue with that. It's only 3D games (and maybe 2D DKC games) from Nintendo where I'd expect a more diverse soundtrack.

The SMW theme was so well arranged for all of its various arrangements, I hardly noticed it until years later. Mind you, I was like 8 years old, but doesn't take away from how nice the soundtrack is. I guess this composer for YNI isn't in the same league.

Thanks Hero of Legend for translate the credits!

So this are the guys (or the guy?) who created the music on this game...

UtMGsdM.gif

Chamy also did YIDS, along with Sonic veteran Yutaka Minobe, who worked on lots including SA1 (only helping with two tracks), to a buttload in Black Knight and a few in Lost World and NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams.

Oh and awesome GIF! XD

maxcriden

Just played 1-1 but I had to play it in bits and pieces. I'll try to play a level straight through later. 1-1 was fun, and charming. Music didn't bother me much, I'm hoping it will grow on me. Gameplay and controls were smooth. Graphics looked good, especially in motion. I'm playing in 2D, BTW.

Sendou

Don't take it the wrong way but if you think they would announce cancelling a game through Iwata Asks interview then maybe you deserved it.

Kinsei

Banned
I've played through the first four levels and I'm enjoying the game so far. The only music track I like so far is the castle theme.

These levels are much better than the first four levels in YIDS so I'm excited to play more.

I'm interested in trying out the secret levels, they were terrible in YIDS so I hope they're fun in this game.

The characters are fully polygonal and not prerendered sprites. Why the hell were people suggesting the opposite? It's obvious within seconds of seeing the first one. I guess some people are just straight up nuts.

Edit:

Perhaps they are commenting on the stylistic choice? Maybe looking more like Story or something?

:goes back to throwing eggs:

What's going on? I took a glance at review scores and they seem underwhelming. Was expecting to see a thread full of impressions by now.

RM8

Bought it! So glad Mexico got it the same day as everyone else (usually the case, with some nasty exceptions like Fire Emblem and Sticker Star). I also got a free Titanfall poster by buying it, lol. Sadly I didn't bring my 3DS to work, so I'll get to play it until later.

I posted my impressions from a few pages back.

I will say, if you're the type of person that goes left to right in platformers then I don't this game is for you.

It's all about 100% each level.

I posted my impressions from a few pages back.

I will say, if you're the type of person that goes left to right in platformers then I don't this game is for you.

It's all about 100% each level.

Does it fall apart at the end? From what I've played, it seems very well made and
minecart Yoshi
feels good. :D

ryushe

First world 100%.

Game's good. It's a lot slower than the original (played the first YI to see for myself and damn, that's still a incredible game) but it's still an enjoyable game... Only if you play it like it's supposed to be played.

The music isn't great, though. It's not bad, but it's pedestrian... Kinda like the pace of the game now that I think about it.

First world 100%.

Game's good. It's a lot slower than the original (played the first YI to see for myself and damn, that's still a incredible game) but it's still an enjoyable game... Only if you play it like it's supposed to be played.

The music isn't great, though. It's not bad, but it's pedestrian... Kinda like the pace of the game now that I think about it.

The more I play, the more it reminds me of Shake It and Epic Yarn. Two games I very much enjoyed but neither gained any "mainstream" traction due to their middle of the road approach.

Kinsei

Banned
I have to choose between New Island, FFX remaster and Ground Zeroes :/

Help me GAF!

Have you played FFX and X-2? If not pick up FFX HD as they'll undoubtedly last longer than this game.

I personally feel that Ground Zeroes isn't worth the price, but then again I'm not the biggest Metal Gear fan so take my opinion on that with a grain of salt.

I just played the first four levels, and to be honest, this game is charming the heck out of me. I think for the same reasons everyone else hates it; the music, the graphics, the slower pace, and the gyro-scoping.

Maybe I'll change my tune later on, but so far, it just feels good to have another Yoshi game.

K' Dash

Have you played FFX and X-2? If not pick up FFX HD as they'll undoubtedly last longer than this game.

I personally feel that Ground Zeroes isn't worth the price, but then again I'm not the biggest Metal Gear fan so take my opinion on that with a grain of salt.

Yeah, I played FFX back in the day, never played X-2, I don't really know what to do, I LOVED Yoshis Island SO fucking MUCH, but I don't know about this one, I really want to like it, but seeing everyone bashing it... makes me want to wait, but I want to play this game, is the direct sequel to one of my fovorite games of all time :/

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member

Are they out now?

I'm interested in the remake, but I might have to pass, as I don't think I'd care for the remixed music.

Kinsei

Banned
Yeah, I played FFX back in the day, never played X-2, I don't really know what to do, I LOVED Yoshis Island SO fucking MUCH, but I don't know about this one, I really want to like it, but seeing everyone bashing it... makes me want to wait, but I want to play this game, is the direct sequel to one of my fovorite games of all time :/

X-2 is a pretty bad game IMO. I like the battle system and a few of the mini-games but the rest is just sub-par.

People in this thread seem to be enjoying this game, but I think the same could be said of almost every OT ever.

If you really can't decide, pick up FFX HD now and wait for more impressions of this game. This is a first party Nintendo game, I doubt you'll have any trouble finding a physical copy for years.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
X-2 is a pretty bad game IMO. I like the battle system and a few of the mini-games but the rest is just sub-par.

X2 was far from perfect, but the exceptional battle system alone keeps it from being a "pretty bad game".

I liked the characters, and the music was pretty great as well. Now the mission structure was a bit weird, I'll give you that. And the mini games are awful in most Final Fantasy games.

RM8

First impressions: Looks just fine, plays just fine, I'm having a lot of fun. Vehicle levels are harmless, kind of fun actually. Overall I'm enjoying it a lot, glad I bought it :p

LOLDSFAN

Even though the reviews are all over the board, I decided to go ahead and bite.

Most of the reviews seemed to be low because they compared it to the earlier games. I've never played a Yoshi's Island game before so I should like it since I'm going in with no expectations.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
vgplus just shipped my copy, hopefully it will be in London on tuesday. Still have SMTIV to wrap up so I'm not too pissed

RM8

I simply don't agree that this is a bad looking game. About to finish World 1, loving it! Took the couple of screens:

CzjcLzV.jpg

721PfOA.jpg

qsxaJPM.jpg

OmegaFax

Just 100%'d the World 1 and steadily making it through World 2.

1-S had a surprising spike in difficulty. It was nearly DKCR level in frustration, especially trying to get all the stage items.

The music is a little trying at times but it is growing on me. The 2-2 remix is a really light, mellow acoustic.

Gyroscope gameplay makes sense, hasn't been overused so far, and controls really well for the sequences that employ it. Even the optional gyroscope targeting worked very smoothly.

So far, I'm liking it a lot.

Got the game, on 1-6 now and taking a break. The visuals really do look nice when you actually see them on the 3DS screen and are actually quite artistic. Lots of pastels and paint brush effects, I like it. I just wish they'd tried to make the 3D effects pop more. Level design is very good and going for 100% on each stage is as addictive as ever. I'm pleasantly surprised. Also, only transformation I've used so far is Hot Air Balloon Yoshi but the gyro controls seem tight so far.

Soundtrack is overall not very good, the title screen music is like chalkboard scrawling bad. But there are a few good ones to be found. I really dig the arrangement of the main theme which has light piano tones on 1-3, kind of reminds me of Peanuts music or something from Epic Yarn (even though this isn't Good Feel obviously). I also find the cave theme's arrangement very relaxing. Anyways, it's a solid purchase so far and I definitely recommend it.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

It's not being bashed by the ones who play it and if you love YI so much, then you will have a great time here, too. I'd say Yoshi, also because this game is the least likely to drop in price quickly, so if you buy FFX and MGS later down the road, you will probably pay less money than if you buy Yoshi later and one of the other two now.

matthwq

Banned
Bought this drunkenly last night, because it has "Yoshi's Island" in the title. Off the eShop, too (which I never do, because I'm the typical old-school hoarder nerd).

I'm literally only three levels in, and I can say I enjoy it a lot more than I was expecting. I feel like it's way better than YIDS, for what it's worth. Music still sucks, obviously, but the art style alone (in motion, on your 3DS) is about hundred times better. No baby swap either, which in reality was a cluttered mess.

Maybe the low scores are in turn inflating the importance of the game in my head (it happens), but this is not a bad game by any means.

Top Bottom