• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's New Island | OT | Is you is or is you ain't my Baby (Mario)

Man shopto charged me for this but apparently no early posting, so I guess I'll have to wait. I was pondering cancelling but whelp here we go.

That said if the complaint about this is "too easy/too short"...I actually like my games a little easy and short sometimes. So who knows, I might like it.

Axass

Out of the 2 sequels Yoshi's Island got, the only one I really thought was a bad game was Yoshi's Story.

I am one that actually thought Yoshi's Island DS was pretty fun, even though it had plenty of cheap hits because of the 'dead space' in the hinge.

Yoshi's Island DS is far worse than Yoshi's Story IMO. At least Yoshi's Story tried to be its own game even if it has a few problems. The DS game though is just a straight copy of Yoshi's Island with worse art-style, graphics (HOW DID THEY MANAGE THIS?) and level design. My hype-o-meter for this game is very low, most exciting thing for me about release day is the possibility of Yoshi's announcement for Smash (possibly a character revamp).

Just cleared the first world and played 2-1. I like this game but I liked the DS one too, so I'm probably one of those who just enjoy some Yoshi platforming, and that's all the game has to offer for now. Thank God this is still based on the masterpiece that Yoshi's Island was and it's managing to keep me entertained. The artstyle is actually one of the strongest points, it just works very good on the 3DS and the music in both the castles I played was really good. But yeah, this game is unpolished, starting from the controls: Yoshi is a litlle unresponsive thanks to some shitty, useless and stupid animations, so sometimes you crawl after eating an enemy without making an egg and sometimes you land on a platform, press jump and Yoshi doesn't respond. And forget what I said about points, fuck this series is still unjust when you want to make a perfect score and you take the fucking wrong road without even knowing it! What about those red coins? Harder than ever. The level design is interesting (some little ideas here and there), the game is fun and I'm happy to play it but nothing feels special, nothing feels fresh like playing a NEW Yoshi's Island. I would like travel back in the 90's, give this game to Miyamoto & Co. and hear what they have to say.

Drago

And forget what I said about points, fuck this series is still unjust when you want to make a perfect score and you take the fucking wrong road without even knowing it! What about those red coins? Harder than ever.

Aww.... the unfair "if you miss it, restart level" placements of the red coins and flowers in YIDS and how frequent it became a problem (it was there but very rare in the SNES original as far as I remember) was one of my least favorite things about that game and the only thing I was worried about making a return in New Island. Guess I'll skip 100%ing this one too, then.

Original YI got collecting 100% items pretty much perfect. :/

mrkgoo

For all of those bemoaning the EDGE score, I find that they're usually right more often than they're wrong for my tastes. Having said that, they do tend to mark down games that might be considered more 'kids' games, a prime example being the LEGO series. Their score for LCU was incomprehensible to me. In the main though, I tend to trust their reviews more than other outlets. The key for me is to read the review text and if it jives with me, I'll go with their score for lack of actually getting my hands on the game. If I feel that they've not really dug into the perceived issues, I'll trust my own judgement. In short, a review is an opinion, it points you in a certain direction but you don't have to follow it if it doesn't sit right with you.

What did they give Lego city?

I think they rate games "objectively", like purely on an objective scale. Which some would consider impossible, but at least you know where you would Stand on their score.

Like objectively, Lego city isn't really a great game, at least considering its parts. But as a whole, it's a lot of fun. Like I would give the game, technically a 6.5 or so, but from pure enjoyment and fun, despite the short comings, my personal rating would be closer to 9.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Aww.... the unfair "if you miss it, restart level" placements of the red coins and flowers in YIDS and how frequent it became a problem (it was there but very rare in the SNES original as far as I remember) was one of my least favorite things about that game and the only thing I was worried about making a return in New Island. Guess I'll skip 100%ing this one too, then.

Original YI got collecting 100% items pretty much perfect. :/

It's better in some regards, because most of the time you can leave a room and get back in to collect items you've missed due to falling blocks, missing (after killing them) enemies and so on.

Also regarding your problems with landing and then jumping - are you sure you pressed the jump button after landing? Because if you'd press it right before, it should be registered as a flutter jump , which would then stop because of landing on the platform. I've never expierience crouching after eating an enemy as long as you COULD make an egg from that enemy. Which is not the case for monkeys by the way!

Also regarding your problems with landing and then jumping - are you sure you pressed the jump button after landing? Because if you'd press it right before, it should be registered as a flutter jump , which would then stop because of landing on the platform. I've never expierience crouching after eating an enemy as long as you COULD make an egg from that enemy. Which is not the case for monkeys by the way!
Maybe it's the flutter jump but I played YI yesterday and nothing like this happened. Yoshi also feels a little heavier than before but it might just be a problem with the camera. The crouching thing still happens, sometimes I have to hold down even with a shy guy or another normal enemy, it feels really slower than before and I think it's an animation problem. The same happens when throwing an egg, it's slower by a split second.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's really a shame that Nintendo (Artoon/Arzest) has continued to make essentially expansion packs to Yoshi's Island over the years, rather than at least iterating on the gameplay and moving it forward like they had with their other franchises.

I'm still tempted to get this, but the reviews are persuading me not to make it a day one for $35-$40.

I do not feel the new games are expansion packs, but more like cover songs... without the same soul in them.

How did you NOT go with the one I suggested?

Yoshi's New Island OT: Full of Country Goodness and Green Pea-ness

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=102987584&postcount=58

BhqWlxsCEAAPyf5.png
The SMT penis monster returns?

Yoshi

I do not feel as the new games are expansion packs, but more like cover songs... without the same soul in them.

So if a sequel with new level designs and new level elements are just cover songs and not even expansion packs, what would you call it had they just remade the first Yoshi's Island game with YI3's visuals?

maxcriden

What did they give Lego city?

I think they rate games "objectively", like purely on an objective scale. Which some would consider impossible, but at least you know where you would Stand on their score.

Like objectively, Lego city isn't really a great game, at least considering its parts. But as a whole, it's a lot of fun. Like I would give the game, technically a 6.5 or so, but from pure enjoyment and fun, despite the short comings, my personal rating would be closer to 9.

They rated LCU 5/10.

http://www.edge-online.com/review/lego-city-undercover-review/

Xater

When does the embargo lift because this game is already on the eShop, so such a late embargo is kinda shitty.

maxcriden

When does the embargo lift because this game is already on the eShop, so such a late embargo is kinda shitty.

It is?! Where? It's out tomorrow in NA. Anyway, embargo is supposed to lift in t-minus 2 hrs 57 mins. I'll be making a Reviews Thread.

Yoshi

Considering the small amount of 'real' interest in this game (I don't really count people who just come by to complain to extreme extends), is it really worth it to have a separate review thread?

maxcriden

EU eShop already has it.

That's really odd. I wonder if they mistakenly put it up a day early. I'm at work so I can't check the NA eShop.

Considering the small amount of 'real' interest in this game (I don't really count people who just come by to complain to extreme extends), is it really worth it to have a separate review thread?

I agree with you, but for better or for worse, there is going to be a review thread no matter who makes it so I'd rather it be made by someone actually interested in the game. As you said there are a lot of drive-by posts in this thread and I expect that will be the same case in the review thread. People will stop by hoping for some good ol' schadenfreude. Still, I would hope that thread would eventually become a resource and discussion of reviews, and even if it doesn't it will hopefully keep those looking to hate on the game in that thread more so than in this one. At the very least once the game is out I do expect this thread to be less suffused with posts about how much the game will suck, or the awfulness of its music (IMO the least important aspect of any game).

Yoshi

The guide is wrong though, depending on the world boss, Yoshis do eat world bosses. Case in point: Yoshi's Story, World 3, path 1.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So if a sequel with new level designs and new level elements are just cover songs and not even expansion packs, what would you call it had they just remade the first Yoshi's Island game with YI3's visuals?

A bad cover?

In all seriousness, I am not a fan of the new graphics style used in the sequel. Each element taken in isolation (3D characters, sprites, or backgrounds) would not be bad per se, but they do not blend well together, they are not the "greater than the sum of its parts" cohesive package that the original Yoshi's Island was. Each of the sequels to me looked like someone who was not deeply familiar with what made the first one special took the helm. The alternative is that the original YI was a fortuitous accident, but I do not believe that to be the case at all.

Also, with songs... new arrangements, very subtle change in lyrics at times, and/or new sounds added to the piece could be compared with an expansion pack too ;).

If the best game ever made in a new coat is a bad cover, I'm thrilled to play a cover.
A new coat and, based on impressions from one of the few people in this thread with the game and the one official review we have, sloppy controls and bad music/sound effects.

So basically, a bad cover.

Yoshi

I don't know this specific port, but if it is what it looks like (just new graphics for a pressumably fantastic game, ignoring the fact it's on a phone and assuming I could use a proper controller instead), I don't see how this makes the resultant game a bad experience in itself (of course, if I already have the original game, I might prefer playing the original one and would have won nothing by the new looks. I wouldn't buy a Yoshi's Island Remake wherethey'd just exchange the graphics with the YNI assets either).

(of course, if I already have the original game, I might prefer playing the original one and would have won nothing by the new looks. I wouldn't buy a Yoshi's Island Remake wherethey'd just exchange the graphics with the YNI assets either).
I think that was the point. Same goes for people who were satisfied by Yoshi's Island enough that they don't see the need to buy this new game, which is essentially the same thing but with different levels and allegedly worse controls/music.

Also, the cotton candy dude was awesome. Let's get a sequel to Yoshi's story instead. That'd look great.

Yoshi

I think that was the point. Same goes for people who were satisfied by Yoshi's Island enough that they don't see the need to buy this new game, which is essentially the same thing but with different levels and allegedly worse controls/music.

I'm still positive the controls are not worse, certainly not bad. But yeah, if you were satisfied with YI enough, then a sequel following the same structure is probably not for you. But then to claim it's an awful game or just a cover (is each year's AC or CoD and so on a cover?) is just not fair. You may call it a lazy sequel or complain (obviously rightfully so) about the music, but these points in themselves don't make a bad game.

I'm still positive the controls are not worse, certainly not bad. But yeah, if you were satisfied with YI enough, then a sequel following the same structure is probably not for you. But then to claim it's an awful game or just a cover (is each year's AC or CoD and so on a cover?) is just not fair. You may call it a lazy sequel or complain (obviously rightfully so) about the music, but these points in themselves don't make a bad game.
Apparently the controls are unresponsive somewhat frequently when it comes to making eggs/moving. And while it isn't necessarily a bad game, the fact that Nintendo is charging $30 or whatever for a game that is objectively worse than a game that came out 20 years ago is troublesome. A game that you can buy on their virtual console service for $8. Stuff like the controls and music push it over the edge, along with the fact that annoyances like red coin hunting are still as bad as they were in YI2.

Also, quote from the Edge review:
No one part of Yoshi’s New Island is ruinous by itself, but the sum is so much less than the 20-year-old parts from which it’s cobbled together. No one deserves to be duped by the Crayola box art into expecting a true sequel t oa childhood-gulping adventure, which is still counted among the most innovative 16bit games of the mid-’90s. Arzest has laid an egg here, but not of the golden variety.

Yoshi

Apparently the controls are unresponsive somewhat frequently when it comes to making eggs/moving. And while it isn't necessarily a bad game, the fact that Nintendo is charging $30 or whatever for a game that is objectively worse than a game that came out 20 years ago is troublesome. A game that you can buy on their virtual console service for $8. Stuff like the controls and music push it over the edge, along with the fact that annoyances like red coin hunting are still as bad as they were in YI2.

I cannot discuss details such as the coin hunting further until the embargo is up, but regarding the controls, I'd really love to see a video of any problems with moving or gulping, because in many hours with the game I've not experienced any such problems once and I'm really sensible to malfunctioning controls (though when using the circle pad I stomped once when I did not want to. But that was my error and having played with the d-pad afterwards, I didn't have that problem ever again). And I doubt anyone would argue that if you have the choice to play YI1 for the first time or go straight to YI3, YI1 would be the obvious choice, but "not as good as the best game ever made" is some kind of cticism that does not hold much value.

EDIT: By the way, making a game worse than a game that was released 20 years ago by one of the if not the most talented game developers out there, produced to AAA standards on the then-flagship console of the market leader is not what I would call troublesome.

I cannot discuss details such as the coin hunting further until the embargo is up, but regarding the controls, I'd really love to see a video of any problems with moving or gulping, because in many hours with the game I've not experienced any such problems once and I'm really sensible to malfunctioning controls (though when using the circle pad I stomped once when I did not want to. But that was my error and having played with the d-pad afterwards, I didn't have that problem ever again). And I doubt anyone would argue that if you have the choice to play YI1 for the first time or go straight to YI3, YI1 would be the obvious choice, but "not as good as the best game ever made" is some kind of cticism that does not hold much value.
I'm just going off of impressions from people who have played the game in this thread. Maybe they were using the circle pad? And like I said, the 20 year gap makes the difference more apparent, especially when apparently nothing at all is changed from YI for the better. Why make the sequel at all? There are sequels out there that are much better than the previous entries, even if the previous entries were great. If they couldn't make the game better than the original Yoshi's Island, then they shouldn't have done the exact same thing but worse. Even something like Yoshi's Story has the advantage of being a different experience than Yoshi's Island.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

EDIT: By the way, making a game worse than a game that was released 20 years ago by one of the if not the most talented game developers out there, produced to AAA standards on the then-flagship console of the market leader is not what I would call troublesome.

I think it's less that Yoshi's Island games since the original haven't lived up to the original and more that they've been dramatically worse in just about every way.

Yoshi

I'm just going off of impressions from people who have played the game in this thread. Maybe they were using the circle pad? And like I said, the 20 year gap makes the difference more apparent, especially when apparently nothing at all is changed from YI for the better. Why make the sequel at all? There are sequels out there that are much better than the previous entries, even if the previous entries were great. If they couldn't make the game better than the original Yoshi's Island, then they shouldn't have done the exact same thing but worse. Even something like Yoshi's Story has the advantage of being a different experience than Yoshi's Island.

So if you cannot improve overall, why make a sequel, you ask? I think a sequel can still be worth it, if the base idea is fun an you want to experience more of that kind of gameplay. I can tell you that I want more of Yoshi's Island's gameplay and I'm happy Nintendo and Arzest are offering that to me, even though they might not be able to eclipse the original. YS has the advantage of being different, but it also has the disadvantage of being a worse game albeit lokking and sounding fantastic. I'll take a by-the-number-sequel of higher quality over a newish game with worse gameplay any day.

@Chacranajxy: I can't see the drama here though.

So if you cannot improve overall, why make a sequel, you ask? I think a sequel can still be worth it, if the base idea is fun an you want to experience more of that kind of gameplay. I can tell you that I want more of Yoshi's Island's gameplay and I'm happy Nintendo and Arzest are offering that to me, even though they might not be able to eclipse the original. YS has the advantage of being different, but it also has the disadvantage of being a worse game albeit lokking and sounding fantastic. I'll take a by-the-number-sequel of higher quality over a newish game with worse gameplay any day.

@Chacranajxy: I can't see the drama here though.
I mean, I guess that's your opinion, but if you have that outlook, you were going to buy YNI no matter what. These reviews aren't targeted towards you. According to the EDGE reviewer, this game isn't worth the average person's money, so it got a 4/10.

maxcriden

I mean, I guess that's your opinion, but if you have that outlook, you were going to buy YNI no matter what. These reviews aren't targeted towards you. According to the EDGE reviewer, this game it's worth the average person's money, so it got a 4/10.

What exactly is the difference between Yoshi's expert opinion and the Edge reviewer's? They're both reviewing the game.

What exactly is the difference between Yoshi's expert opinion and the Edge reviewer's? They're both reviewing the game.
Yoshi loves the original's gameplay so much that he's willing to overlook what the Edge reviewer thought were YNI's flaws in order to get more Yoshi's Island levels, as he just explained.

Just got the game by sheer luck today (how did ShopTo do that? I literally got the shipping email this morning...)

I'll post some impressions in a bit. Gotta pop to town and back in a bit so likely will be after embargo anyway

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Well, to be honest, Yoshi probably gave the game more of a chance. Edge is so unenthusiastic in every single sentence of their reviews that I don't know why anyone even pays attention.

Yoshi

I mean, I guess that's your opinion, but if you have that outlook, you were going to buy YNI no matter what. These reviews aren't targeted towards you. According to the EDGE reviewer, this game isn't worth the average person's money, so it got a 4/10.

No, I would not buy the game no matter what. It's ok if it's not as good as the first Yoshi's Island, but it'd still need to be a good platforming game to buy it (at full price, I've bought Sonic 2006, too, but only for "collection" reasons). At least I would definitely not be happy with the game no matter what.

Einbroch

Banned
Well, to be honest, Yoshi probably gave the game more of a chance. Edge is so unenthusiastic in every single sentence of their reviews that I don't know why anyone even pays attention.

How is this even fair? Of course you would be unenthusiastic if you don't enjoy the game.

Also, someone can fire back and say that Yoshi is a fan of these games, which is made clear by his username. Not saying he's biased or corrupt. He just may like these games more than others.

Yoshi

Yoshi loves the original's gameplay so much that he's willing to overlook what the Edge reviewer thought were YNI's flaws in order to get more Yoshi's Island levels, as he just explained.
No, I'm not willing to overlook anything, neither personally, nor (and especially not) from a reviewer's perspective

How is this even fair? Of course you would be unenthusiastic if you don't enjoy the game.

Also, someone can fire back and say that Yoshi is a fan of these games, which is made clear by his username. Not saying he's biased or corrupt. He just may like these games more than others.

I would not argue against that, because it's true, but even if you are a fan you can see if a game just flat out sucks. Sonic 2006, Sonic & the Black Knight and (to a much lesser degree, but more relevant because it's a Yoshi game) Yoshi's Story are examples where I felt this way.

Top Bottom