• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel | in Space | PC/360/PS3 only [Up: Screenshots]

So GamePointsNow seems to have very good Insider Info. Let's see if they will deliver more leaks.

The game sounds fun but I'd prefer a PS4 version. It's a Borderlands game so I'm gonna go with the GotY Edition but that will take a while and I don't want to go back to PS3 then

Bricky

Cant really see why this is a standalone game and not a dlc / addon

20070418-Animated_man_swimming_money_hg_clr.gif

Tobor

Last gen only is dumbbbbbbbbb.

If it actually turns out great I can get the PC version, but this is still a really dumb business decision.

Watching the gameplay preview, the rate at which oxygen is used up is insane and looks like it would become very frustrating, very quickly.

I'm out, can't be bothered dealing with such stupid gameplay mechanics.

Ourobolus

Banned
Can't believe you have to repeat yourself… I don't understand what people are expecting.

I will be there on day 1!

Yeah, seriously. I can sorta understand the last-gen argument (though I'm thinking it's like others have said - a side project while others work on current gen), but this is silly.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I feel the general problem with the logic Randy is applying here is that while there aren't a lot of next-gen consoles, by the time this game launches we're talking about a userbase of 10 million of the most engaged, highest spending gamers.

This is why PS3/360 sales are falling through the floor for the vast majority of titles. There weren't 170 million active, frequent buyers on them, so a good portion of the people who did buy more than Call of Duty or their annual sports game have moved on.

Tabby

This'll probably be re-released on current gen in a year from now.
To wait for the GOTY, or to not wait for the GOTY.

Eh... I could get it on PC, but I'm really disappointed that they're only making it for last gen consoles. The oxygen gimmick sounds like it's only going to be a source of frustration.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Here are the full resolution screenshots. They seem to have the texture quality up to what you'd expect out of a 1080p game.

Well, at least it will have a good PC version which is what I was going to be playing on it anyway, even if I don't understand their business decisions.

I feel the general problem with the logic Randy is applying here is that while there aren't a lot of next-gen consoles, by the time this game launches we're talking about a userbase of 10 million of the most engaged, highest spending gamers.

This is why PS3/360 sales are falling through the floor for the vast majority of titles. There weren't 170 million active, frequent buyers on them, so a good portion of the people who did buy more than Call of Duty or their annual sports game have moved on.

I agree. A lot of the next gen port begging seems like whining but the volume of it suggests it's a real issue. When publishers ignore that it's a valid reason why their old gen project might end up selling poorly.

PS3 BL2's frame rate hurts my feelings. I'd rather it be on Vita so it's at least portable. I've committed to buy no more software on PS3 once Wolf Among Us is finished.

N30RYU

What 2K does not understand is that if I have a PS4 and won't buy anything last gen, they can count me out of the PS3 install base.

Even in the better of the scenarios for them that is that Destiny is being delayed, the idea of not releasing it, that is stand alone game and not a DLC, for PS4 ans One, is dumbbest as hell.

If they wanna sell anything Borderlands related, they should have released Borderlands 2 on ps4 and One right now, instead of a Vita version.

tbm24

What 2K does not understand is that if I have a PS4 and won't buy anything last gen, they can count me out of the PS3 install base.

Even in the better of the scenarios for them that is that Destiny is being delayed, the idea of not releasing it, that is stand alone game and not a DLC, for PS4 ans One, is dumbbest as hell.

If they wanna sell anything Borderlands related, they should have released Borderlands 2 on ps4 and One right now, instead of a Vita version.

I'm not understanding where the idea comes from that just because the consoles are out and people own them(me included) that they are unlikely to buy a game for a previous console they currently own. I didn't buy a PS4 to ONLY ever buy games released on it and avoid anything that may come out for the console I was playing prior to November of last year. Seems like a rather decent sized leap to assume that is the case for the market of this game.

Tobor

Pitchford's comments sound like cover.

They screwed up. EA admitted they were surprised at the speed of the drop off in last gen software sales. Sounds like 2k and Gearbox made the same mistake.

quo

Isn't Destiny slated for the fall as well? What bad timing
Welp, going to join the Steam Sale buckaroos.

My thoughts as well. They are losing my sale on this thanks to Destiny PS4 version. If they released a current gen version of BLPS, then that might change my mind.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Pitchford's comments sound like cover.

They screwed up. EA admitted they were surprised at the speed of the drop off in last gen software sales. Sounds like 2k and Gearbox made the same mistake.

Almost every publisher has stated that to be honest.

It's just that most of them either already correctly went cross-gen or course corrected at the last moment like Murdered.

I don't get why they don't just do a ridiculous rush job though. The art assets in this game are significantly better than Borderlands 2 judging by those screenshots.

Tobor

I'm not understanding where the idea comes from that just because the consoles are out and people own them(me included) that they are unlikely to buy a game for a previous console they currently own. I didn't buy a PS4 to ONLY ever buy games released on it and avoid anything that may come out for the console I was playing prior to November of last year. Seems like a rather decent sized leap to assume that is the case for the market of this game.

Everyone I know who has purchased next gen hardware sold or shelved their last gen consoles.

Just look at last gen software sales. They have fallen off a cliff. EA had to admit to investors they were surprised by the drop off. Last gen went on way too long and people are ready and eager to move on.

BBboy20

Why are people getting so upset over this ? This smells like the Arkham Origins of the Borderlands franchise.
Probably, but at least you don't have to worry too much about a story (or an overused character...or a subtitle that makes no sense or really doesn't belong in it).

Tobor

Almost every publisher has stated that to be honest.

It's just that most of them either already correctly went cross-gen or course corrected at the last moment like Murdered.

I don't get why they don't just do a ridiculous rush job though. The art assets in this game are significantly better than Borderlands 2 judging by those screenshots.

I don't get it either. Truly baffling.

Funny how Pitchford never mentioned the fact that current-gen multiplatform games outsell their last-gen counterparts. His argument doesn't hold up.

tbm24

Funny how Pitchford never mentioned the fact that current-gen multiplatform games outsell their last-gen counterparts. His argument doesn't hold up.

I'd imagine it's because that has no bearing on games that are not cross-gen. They decided to make it only for "last" gen/PC so why bring in a metric that does not apply to them?

BigDug13

This whole trying to flesh out the very basic story with this & the Telltale game series doesn't appeal to me. The universe isn't as interesting or unique as they think it is.

Yeah, I think they overestimate the appeal of their lore. People don't love the series because of the setting. They love the idea of Diablo loot and character skill trees mixed with FPS co-op gameplay.

Not made by Gearbox, so this can actually be good!

Three of the four main DLC campaigns for BL2 were not made by Gearbox. One of the four was. Guess which DLC was the best.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I understand not announcing a Vita version since BL2 is just around the corner but hopefully they'll consider it sometime after launch.

Only if the Sony-paid-for port of Boredlands 2 sells well.

Which it most likely won't. Because the system is INDIEZZzzzzzzzzz now. :/

BigDug13 said:
Yeah, I think they overestimate the appeal of their lore. People don't love the series because of the setting. They love the idea of Diablo loot and character skill trees mixed with FPS co-op gameplay.

Too bad BOTH the lore and gameplay are terrible.

I wanted a Lootwhore FPS. What I got was boring shooting (second wind and second wind and second wind and second wind...) with too high damage for the enemies and barely usable loot (of course this is a lootwhore genre staple but when I can't even get a decent upgrade for hours...)

Maybe they fixed that in 2 and this Prequel to 2. But I can't care after how unsatisfying 1 was.

N30RYU

They decided to make a last-gen only game... and I decided months ago to be a current-gen only gamer.

Beyond and TWD Season 2, were my lastgen purchases and I already avoid GTAV and Dark Souls 2 waiting for a current-gen release.

Borderlands 1.5 would have been a insta buy if released today for PS4, they would have low chance releasing in the same timeframe Destiny is released... and now releasing in Destiny time-frame only on last-gen, they have zero chances.

Tagg9

Really confounding business decision by 2K. I realize there's a cost involved in porting to PS4/XB1 (the biggest cost would likely be time), but I feel as if there is practically zero risk involved.

Borderlands also seems like the kind of game that would scale up extremely well, with almost no need to redo textures or geometry for 1080p.

Top Bottom