• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman's a trophy in Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS...Wait, WHAT?!

Wunderdoo

Neo Member
Maybe it was like:
Legends Wii U exclusive = Rayman in Smash 4
Legends gets delayed to go multiplat = Random Trophy

2NEozSp.png

big_z

why include a trophy of a mediocre character from a company that isn't supporting your platforms? I rather have the second tree from the left in DKC be a trophy.

why include a trophy of a mediocre character from a company that isn't supporting your platforms? I rather have the second tree from the left in DKC be a trophy.

Isn't Ubisoft one of the few companies that is actually supporting the Wii U? Albeit not very much.

TadThuggish

Neo Member
Rayman is a cool character who would fit well in a Smash Bros. game! He's just also a character that twelve-year-old me would write down on a sheet of notebook paper alongside "Kyle Katarn" and "Guybrush Threepwood."

Our reactions are actually pretty funny to read, because they're all just "What? HUH?" instead of "Oh, cool!" just because we're looking at things from a business angle. Nintendo and Ubisoft haven't shown that close of a bond before, so the reveal is out of nowhere. It's like if a worm from Worms was the next reveal. Yeah, cool, but...how the hell did that happen?

LOL. As much as this post made me laugh, Rayman is definitely not mediocre!
But I love the joke about the second tree from the left in DKC!

Isn't Ubisoft one of the few companies that is actually supporting the Wii U? Albeit not very much.

I think Ubi has done a better job of shitting on WiiU than EA to be honest
EA never promised an exclusive and delayed said exclusive to make it multi platform
also Watch Dog WiiU nah man Ubisoft is toying with WiiU fans

they don't deserve any Smash4 love

I would take Bayonetta trophy over this

Lijik

Rayman is a cool character who would fit well in a Smash Bros. game! He's just also a character that twelve-year-old me would write down on a sheet of notebook paper alongside "Kyle Katarn" and "Guybrush Threepwood."

Our reactions are actually pretty funny to read, because they're all just "What? HUH?" instead of "Oh, cool!" just because we're looking at things from a business angle. Nintendo and Ubisoft haven't shown that close of a bond before, so the reveal is out of nowhere. It's like if a worm from Worms was the next reveal. Yeah, cool, but...how the hell did that happen?

Cant wait for Punky Skunk to get in as a trophy

bon

Well, if they're going to do trophies for random third party mascots how about Bomberman? Bonk? Goemon? Get Konami on the phone Sakurai.

I think Ubi has done a better job of shitting on WiiU than EA to be honest
EA never promised an exclusive and delayed said exclusive to make it multi platform
also Watch Dog WiiU nah man Ubisoft is toying with WiiU fans

they don't deserve any Smash4 love

I would take Bayonetta trophy over this

Sure, I'm not saying they haven't screwed Wii U owners on multiple occasions, but in the end we get the games at least. Which is more than I can say about a lot of other 3rd party developers.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Cross-post from other thread

Hahaha, John Harker is right about what he heard. This update truly mindfucked me when I woke up and checked iPad to see what is the update. At first, I thought I was dreaming but hell naw, I wasn't dreaming. That shit is totally unexpected, and I'm hyped to see what's up. I guess we might see Rayman being playable character somehow, DLC? or Smash 5?

If Sakurai is going to add several third-party characters for some reasons, like paying tribute to third-party companies.

Then I'm expecting Call of Duty Black Ops Solider as one of trophies in the game.

Yeah, I'm shocked.

big_z

nope they've stopped supporting the wii u until they feel sales meet their demands. they even have a finished game rotting away on a harddrive. even if they didn't want to spend money promoting a new wii u game due to fear of it not selling it still would be better to release it digitally. a few dollars is better than none.

Neol

The more I think about it, it does kinda makes sense...

No it doesn't what the fuck Sakurai what are you doing to us

I totally wouldn't be surprised if they were planning on including Rayman as a character at one point when Ubi-soft was extremely pro-Nintendo with ZombiU and Rayman Legends. However with the Rayman Legends delays and the things Ubi-Soft has said about Nintendo since, this feels like a kick in the crotch for Ubi. I love it.

Sure, I'm not saying they haven't screwed Wii U owners on multiple occasions, but in the end we get the games at least. Which is more than I can say about a lot of other 3rd party developers.

they even said recently they are sitting on a finished WiiU title until sales hit some target worth releasing so yeah they kinda want to support WiiU, Kinda

but that does not mean it does not piss off fans

I'll just get Ubi games on PS4 can't count on them on my WiiU
Rayman could have been playable in Smash, Rabbids could have been playable in Smash but Ubi is burning bridges with Nintendo, so this is not a good deal for fans.

Game Guru

Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man: The most iconic third-party video game characters ever... Worthy of being playable fighters in Smash Bros, complete with stages, music, assist trophies and items.

Rayman: Only worthy of being a normal-ass trophy in Smash Bros. Not even an assist trophy, let alone a playable fighter.

oti

Banned
nope they've stopped supporting the wii u until they feel sales meet their demands. they even have a finished game rotting away on a harddrive. even if they didn't want to spend money promoting a new wii u game due to fear of it not selling it still would be better to release it digitally. a few dollars is better than none.

It's another Rabbids game. As long as they don't see an appropriate number of families getting a Wii U they won't release it.

Rayman is awesome.

Hmm didn't know about the finished game bit. This is Ubisoft we're talking about though. They want huge numbers every time, they won't release a game if there's a possibility it wont sell gangbusters.

Still, they've given the Wii U quite a few games over the past couple of years, so I think they deserve a bit of representation. Now ask me if they deserve a character, and my answer will be similar to your.

Hatchtag

Banned
Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man: The most iconic third-party video game characters ever... Worthy of being playable fighters in Smash Bros, complete with stages, music, assist trophies and items.

Rayman: Only worthy of being a normal-ass trophy in Smash Bros. Not even an assist trophy, let alone a playable fighter.

It's fine, tell me again about the great Sonic, Mega Man, and/or Pac-Man game that came out last year.

Sponge

Banned
I totally wouldn't be surprised if they were planning on including Rayman as a character at one point when Ubi-soft was extremely pro-Nintendo with ZombiU and Rayman Legends. However with the Rayman Legends delays and the things Ubi-Soft has said about Nintendo since, this feels like a kick in the crotch for Ubi. I love it.

It seems to be more likely that Ubisoft approached Nintendo too late into development. He could very well end up being DLC. If I were most of you guys, GAF. I would get in touch with Sal so he can talk to his source about this.

Top Bottom