• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Those uncompressed shots look awesome. Great image quality and from all the impressions it sounds like the framerate is excellent. That's all I wanted out of this.

delta25

Banned
Another ps3 vs ps4 comparison

iM3DV72nNbhhf.png

icqvfgGZaG652.jpg

well, I hate to beat a dead horse, but until I get some history on this comparison, I'm calling bullshit on this one.

it would be great to get some validity to this comparison, where did it come from?

I was the one that posted the original. Somebody from my friends list had the game and sent me the shot. You can also tell Joel's flashlight in the ps4 version casts a shadow which is absent in the ps3 version.

Edit: Unless you mean the ps3 one? Cause i found that one in the other tlou thread.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Well we've already seen shots of the blocky shadows, and I've seen them too in game (quite a bit), but it's not always like that. Sometimes, the shadows are pretty good too. Here's a sample.

http://i4.minus.com/iCF01MsP0MK92.jpg
http://i4.minus.com/i4p2UQIe2iHZX.jpg
http://i6.minus.com/i2AW4cWshmSco.jpg

If I remember correctly, the flashlight had it's own lighting and shadowing model including some low level GI. It looks like they improved it quite a bit as well.

delta25

Banned
I was the one that posted the original. Somebody from my friends list had the game and sent me the shot. You can also tell Joel's flashlight in the ps4 version casts a shadow which is absent in the ps3 version.

Edit: Unless you mean the ps3 one? Cause i found that one in the other tlou thread.

ya, sorry I'm calling bullshit on this one

ya, sorry I'm calling bullshit on this one
ok
If I remember correctly, the flashlight had it's own lighting and shadowing model including some low level GI. It looks like they improved it quite a bit as well.

I knew it sounded familiar
The extensive use of ambient and dynamic light sources is something we'd expect from a PlayStation 4 game, but Naughty Dog manages to pull it off well on current-gen hardware with only a few side effects: poorly filtered shadows cast by the sun can be unsightly up close, revealing that PCF and cascade transitions are still being used for performance reasons, while only characters appear to cast accurate indirect shadows.
Characters also cast indirect shadows that accurately display a silhouette against nearby surroundings, instead of the glowing black halos we usually see with SSAO (screen-space ambient occlusion).
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-last-of-us-tech-analysis
ib2GdK83XmW60y.png

Sounds like the same problem the ps3 had. I guess 30fps mode fixes this.

Cross posting from the next thread
30 FPS

1CXZktD.jpg

60 FPS

OTb8Flj.jpg

30FPS

3wZ7T0G.jpg

60 FPS

f872fPn.jpg

30 FPS

wPiffeH.jpg

60 FPS

PppPSmK.jpg

There's still a noticeable difference in these pics, but not nearly as pronounced. In the first comparison, you can barely even tell.

Looking at how small the differences is i not giving up 60fps for that .
Giving up half the frame rate which going to make the game look and control better for something that small seems crazy to me .

Cygnus

Banned
Cross posting from the next thread

Looking at how small the differences is i not giving up 60fps for that .
Giving half the frame rate which going to make the game look and control better for something that small seems crazy to me .

Yup, the only reason to go 30fps is for taking screenshots.

delta25

Banned

sorry, every other comparison thus far shows a clear distinct difference between the two versions, while that one in particular shows virtually nothing, infact, outside the "highlighted" they look the same, even the wall textures in the background look the exact same.

sorry, every other comparison thus far shows a clear distinct difference between the two versions, while that one in particular shows virtually nothing, infact, outside the "highlighted" they look the same, even the wall textures in the background look the exact same.

Yeah, I noticed this immediately. The bricks are identical to the PS3 textures.

todd360

I assume this will be up 3 am est time on the 29th? Is there a way I can set my ps4 to download it as soon as it's available in power save mode? I don't really want to stay up until 3 am just to start the massive download.

But it looks sharper? That shot is definitely native 1080p while the other is clearly uspcaled 1080p. Are you viewing it on a phone? Why would i lie about that.

Also regarding the new comparison shots 30fps mode is a little sharper that 60fps in one shot.

pa22word

Anything significant added with the new difficulty mode? Thought the game was great first time around, but it really doesn't have the depth to warrant a paid update for another playthrough imo and the graphics improvements are neither here nor there for me, really. I'm hoping they redid the ai for the new difficulty to match the e3 version or somethin, because that'd be pretty interesting. Sorry if it's been asked a thousand times, but I can't get mobilegaf to do a thread specific search, so yeah...

Hubb

I assume this will be up 3 am est time on the 29th? Is there a way I can set my ps4 to download it as soon as it's available in power save mode? I don't really want to stay up until 3 am just to start the massive download.

I think you might be S O L. I don't know of anyway to have it auto queue a game.

ron_bato

Oh that should explain it. Anyway, I'm pretty impressed with the overall quality of the remaster. I bet a lot of gaf will too, such a great game and both my ps3 version and my ps4 version are staying with me forever.

todd360

I think you might be S O L. I don't know of anyway to have it auto queue a game.

Damn. I might just stay up then to do it manually. It's so annoying that It isn't available at midnight for people in est time. Preloading destiny is going to feel so good.

Gray Matter

Damn. I might just stay up then to do it manually. It's so annoying that It isn't available at midnight for people in est time. Preloading destiny is going to feel so good.

This is why sony needs to get their shit together. If the industry wants people
To embrace a digital future, they must make it appealing. Allowing people to download/play a game at midnight, no matter what their time zone is a must.

todd360

This is why sony needs to get their shit together. If the industry wants people
To embrace a digital future, they must make it appealing. Allowing people to download/play a game at midnight, no matter what their time zone is a must.

Exactly. I always wonder if the people in charge are just stupid or there is something holding them back from making this stuff happen.

meanspartan

I'm....a bit underwhelmed with what I am seeing in screenshots. I guess over 6 months now of "new-gen" has changed my standards. Still, 1080p 60fps Last of Us is a must-buy for me, especially since I didn't play Left-Behind.

Pinktaco

This game will be all new and fresh to me. I'm excited. But I'll have to wait. I'm not at home for another two weeks and I want to be playing this on a proper screen with good sound. Not going to spoil the game for myself when I can make the experience so much better.

So next week I'm going to play rayman legends with a friend instead :p

So the trophy list has been released, am I okay looking at it without anything being spoiled? (Never played before)
No Spoilers BUT the Left Behind trophies may have some slight spoilers when it comes to some of the side activities in the DLC.

BTW I freaking love the new colors of the trophy images.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Flashlight isn't absent in the PS3 version, it is there but soft. The self shadowing generally is all there on PS3 but with softer shadows. I think I prefer that to the PS4 version.

Is the ivy and door frame actually missing shadows or could it be a lack of ambient occlusion? The light over the door is only missing a shadow around the root of the object - it still has a cast shadow but 'disconnected' from the light.

93xfan

Banned
14567497567_fff3177320_o.gif

Very sloppy. The foliage and other objects look very flat on the ps4 version. The also took out the clothing wrinkle movement while walking.

I wonder what other omissions they are hiding behind their press release bullshots and lack of official gameplay videos. No wonder they've simply been saying "trust us, it looks great!"

To be fair that's a low quality gif using very few colours, the difference on your tv will be much greater.

Edit: didn't see that they were posted on their own on this page.

omg less shadows than PS3 brb cancelling preorder burning my PS4

Seriously though, what's the big deal? It looks better and the framerate's way better than PS3. If all that's missing is a few object shadows than it's all right in my book.

Top Bottom