• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Gamescom: PS4 install base exceeded 10 million units sold through globally.

This system is going to do scary numbers this Holiday.

And then the huge releases are just going to pile on during 2015.

Bloodborne, The Order, Rime, Uncharted, No Mans Sky, AlienNation, WiLD, Tearaway, Witcher 3, MGSV, etc. etc.

This thing could be at 30 million come Holiday 2015 at this pace.

And this Gamescom proves why it is a glorious thing when Sony is leading the pack. Innovation everywhere, brilliant games, brilliance everywhere. Whole conference was just filled with brilliance. And we still haven't seen most of what the first parties have going on! Its ridiculous!

I really feel like I watched a different conference than everyone. Rime and Wild were the only things of interest from that conference for me. I'm probably going to get the PS4 eventually, but it is very "meh" for me as of now. Nothing new. Nothing original. That'd be fine if I were interested in the genres provided, but I'm not. I have no idea why it is selling so well, and I guess it's because my tastes have finally veered completely off the road from the mainstream. Oh well.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
so you're a defeatist by nature then? Did you not see the selection of bundles announced today? "Give the people a choice, and they will buy it in droves" -Apple co.

I didn't want to have to do this and reply on a point by point basis, but when you're called out sometimes you have no choice but to tell the wife to take the kids to the park for an hour 'cause papa's got some truth_bombs_ to get out there to the populace.

So back in May of last year, when someone said "Sony too!" on the DRM It totally was going to be because MS was going to 180 on policies?

I can't wait for your ferociously written reply to this, "open_mouth_smartest".

Also, will people buy a product in droves even if the best perception goes towards the competition?

Also, tell your wife to keep tabs on your internet time, I think you might becoming a troll. And that could be bad.

GeneralArrow

Neo Member
I'm happy with my comment in that thread.

Turns out, that no, they weren't able to counter the mass exodus of the tastemakers. And that's why you don't piss on your base, folks!
this isn't just a mass exudos, there's plenty of us who still have and enjoy our xbox systems and bought the xbox one. We might be angry at Microsoft for the things they said but were a forgiving bunch. I'd say this is more of a testament to the ability Sony has at growing its user base esp since the large majority of these PS4's are being bought in the US it would be very interesting to see how many people are first time buyers of a gaming product in general.

Amir0x

Banned
That was pre 180. I wouldn't be that harsh now. :)

yeah i guess it's easy to forget how impassioned people were at the time, including myself. let ourselves get a little carried away in our anger. It was righteous anger, but sometimes there are victims lol

I really feel like I watched a different conference than everyone. Rime and Wild were the only things of interest from that conference for me. I'm probably going to get the PS4 eventually, but it is very "meh" for me as of now. Nothing new. Nothing original. That'd be fine if I were interested in the genres provided, but I'm not. I have no idea why it is selling so well, and I guess it's because my tastes have finally veered completely off the road from the mainstream. Oh well.

Those are the last words I'd use. I mean sure, the big AAA titles maybe, but they had plenty of awesome, unique looking indie games as well which fit that very description.

They can still turn it around, Sony was in a much worse place last gen and they ended the gen in a high note. Is implausible but not impossible.

I don't really ever care to use the word impossible. But it's extremely implausible.

Sony had a lot of things going for them where a long term strategy would pay off.
They had a lot of room to maneuver with price cuts.
They had blu ray.
And they had a wealth of first party studios to make exclusive content.
And the PS3 just needed to be "figured out" by developers.

Microsoft doesn't have this.
They don't have the first party content.
They don't have the ability to moneyhat developers like they need.
They are losing in their strongest territory.
They still haven't launched in other territories. The longer they wait, the worse off they are.

The Xbox does not have the brand name. They can still finish well, but its extremely unlikely that the Xbox will make a serious comeback.

Let's break it down point-by-point.

I said 2:1 would be hard to maintain and then someone goes "MS ain't nevah catching Sony" huh? When did I say catch?

Why else would you bring that up?

Won't it be hard to maintain 2:1 with a competitor with as deep pockets as MS

Deep enough pockets they couldn't even buy ROTTR as a full exclusive because reasons. Yep.

a competitor that just dropped 80 mil units on its previous console?

Will the next 180 be replacing the XBO with the 360?

Even if MS does 65 mil with XB1, do you think it will be easy for Sony to do 130 mil?
It's been easy for them to do 10 million with "noah gameaz"

Won't the XB1 selling in more markets open up the potential for more customers to buy it?
Like China? Where it's already available for purchase and has been for months?

Don't bring the hate if you don't want me to have to regulate.

Hey that's my line!

Before I do, lemme hit you with some more ratios to chew on. NA has about 500 mil consumers who bought about 3 mil XB1's so far. China has about 2.5 times that population, yes? 1:2.5 :: 3mil : ? I'm not saying its gonna happen. I'm just saying don't discount it.

Ratios From My Ass.

coldone

And I'd rather they spend their money on building first party studios and creating new IP in a sustainable manner then just going "Oh shit, new console? But we don't have many studios and shut down some of the few we had! Shit, we need games. Quick, throw money at sure things and hope nobody questions what exclusive means!".

Even Halo was bought. Yes, I agree it is absolutely well within a company's rights to do business (legally) how they see fit, but consumers are also within their right to call out industry damaging practises and hold it against the company in question.

Isnt the same case with Bloodbourne ?. It is just a squeal to Dark Souls ?. If not for Sony, From Soft/Namco would have made Dark Souls 3.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
V
V
V
V

I'll never understand someone thinking a product doesn't deserve sales. You may not find anything special about it but obviously 10 million others do.

And don't solely put MS and Nintendo's fuck up's on Sony's success. Sony had a simple goal since February 2013 and stuck with it. Unlike MS who still can't figure out what the XB1 is trying to do. You're acting as if they did nothing at all to get to 10 million.

I wasn't saying they did nothing at all to get to where they are. Sony apparently took the smart path by keeping it simple. The PS3 was complicated and it screwed them over. The PS4 took the path that made the most sense without trying anything too weird and they are doing well. As a business that's great. I still think that if anything it's just telling companies "Why try anything new with hardware? Just put more power into it and work on the business partnerships to make your product a success." It's not necessarily a terrible thing, but it's not exactly the direction I personally want the industry to go.

Sony's success is from smart business imo, not from any innovations or anything. That's always been their strong suit mind you (look at PS1/PS2). Look at E3 2013 and really say Sony did anything special at that conference. They just said "uh, let's not change anything", as Microsoft dug themselves into a hole and Nintendo was already face flat on the floor. It's just far more fun seeing companies constantly battling it out with smart decisions from all sides, etc. rather than one (fairly boring imo) competitor just trouncing the competition.

Umm...did you forget the whole PlatStation's virtual reality Project Morpheous?
I honestly haven't kept track, but isn't that fairly far in the future? I doubt folks are buying into the PS4 now b/c of Morpheous.

Those are the last words I'd use. I mean sure, the big AAA titles maybe, but they had plenty of awesome, unique looking indie games as well which fit that very description.

I just didn't feel that way completely. There were nice indie games for sure, but I'd like to see a big budget AAA title with some originality or color. It seems most of GAF would just tell me, "well those games don't sell well enough anymore to warrant a high budget", and that just makes me sad..

I just looked at that list the other poster I quoted made, and he seemed so giddy and excited, but that feeling just isn't there with the PS4 or 80% of those games. Really only get that feeling with Nintendo games and past PS2 game announcements..seeing how well the Wii U is selling, it's fairly clear my opinion of games is the minority. I mean my favorite selling Nintendo systems, for example, are the worst selling ones. lol, it says a lot about my taste relative to the market. Not sure why I'm saying all of this now, but yeah, I guess I'm sad I really don't see what is so amazing about the PS4 like most people think of it as here.

I'm still excited for games like Rime, No Man's Sky, Tearaway, and Wild, but otherwise my interest is really mild. Really can't see myself getting a PS4 until late next year unless I feel like making an impulse buy, lol.

Yeah Microsoft's near future looks not bad (Sunset/ Master Chief Collection + Halo 5) but outside of that we don't know much about things like Scalebound and Crackdown.

Sony's got tons of future stuff shown already and we haven't even really begun to see Uncharted 4, Sony Santa Monica, Guerilla's new IP, Bend Studio, etc. They definitely appear better positioned long term, at least for the moment.

Yeah and you could go on...Deep Down, Planetside 2, Shadow of the Beast, Tearaway Unfolded, Let It Die, No Man's Sky - stop it.

The XB1's upcoming library is not even in the same ballpark. PS3's recovery was achieved by many things but one reason for it was because Sony started fostering the development of really compelling software on the system. After a few years, they built a real solid and diverse library of titles and this paid off in the end by attracting more and more gamers. MS's solution seems to be to throw money at the situation and just snag a big third-party title and that's pretty much it. Not invest in the long term.

I think (don't worry I won't do it) you could write two lists of announced exclusives coming for the PS4 and the Bone and the PS4's would be about twice as long.
Someone write one I don't want to be seen as a warrior.

I just didn't feel that way completely. There were nice indie games for sure, but I'd like to see a big budget AAA title with some originality or color. It seems most of GAF would just tell me, "well those games don't sell well enough anymore to warrant a high budget", and that just makes me sad..

I just looked at that list the other poster I quoted made, and he seemed so giddy and excited, but that feeling just isn't there with the PS4 or 80% of those games. Really only get that feeling with Nintendo games and past PS2 game announcements..seeing how well the Wii U is selling, it's fairly clear my opinion of games is the minority. I mean my favorite selling Nintendo systems, for example, are the worst selling ones. lol, it says a lot about my taste relative to the market. Not sure why I'm saying all of this now, but yeah, I guess I'm sad I really don't see what is so amazing about the PS4 like most people think of it as here.

I see what you mean, the Wii U has an excellent library (in fact, the game I'm most hyped up for is Bayo 2, and Smash is up there too). I do agree that maybe, gaming isn't as great as it used to be, but I still find plenty of enjoyment (though it comes in cycles, sort of sometimes I don't feel like playing anything).

People that say "look at how PS3 turned out" are basically just highlighting that they don't understand the dynamics that helped the PS3. It is simply not comparable and anyone with an understanding of the global sales should understand that.

Mr Swine

Banned
So I guess that Sony must be ecstatic that Nintendo is dead while MS is having problems with the console market?

Grats on the 10 million consoles sold Sony!

I'm still excited for games like Rime, No Man's Sky, Tearaway, and Wild, but otherwise my interest is really mild. Really can't see myself getting a PS4 until late next year unless I feel like making an impulse buy, lol.

Didn't you recently say you were buying the PS4 this fall because of a " bunch of remakes and remasters "?

If a bunch of remakes and remasters will get you to buy one but Tomorrows Children, Bloodborne, Rime, Tearaway, No Mans Sky, WiLD, etc. etc. make you shrug your shoulders and question everyone's happiness about things ... then yeah I don't know what to say.

I'm already enjoying the hell out of my PS4 personally, but this conference just blew the doors off it all. Best conference in a long, long, long time. Perhaps since the Sony 2009 conference which was loaded for bare also. Also, if you would stop looking at gaming in divisions such as " Indie " and " AAA " you might be able to enjoy what you see a bit more.

I mean if it were Naughty Dog announcing that they were making a project like WiLD, would you then consider it a worthwhile title?

It is not like these " indie " games are using pixel sprites and look like they belong on a 2001 release list. They are sporting some absolutely beautiful visuals.

Isnt the same case with Bloodbourne ?. It is just a squeal to Dark Souls ?. If not for Sony, From Soft/Namco would have made Dark Souls 3.

Same case as what? Bloodborne is completely independent from Dark Souls; it is its own thing. It has little bearing on Dark Souls 3.

Also keep in mind that Dark Souls 2 was made by a completely different team than the one working on BloodBorne.

So... is somebody at Square Enix getting fired right now?
Not that Squeenix has a record of making particularly good decisions in the past decade, but I highly doubt that they took the money under the impression that the install base ratio was going to be any better for XBone than it's been for the past several months. This isn't a Titanfall situation where nobody had any real idea how the generation was going to go at the time the contract was signed (well, they kinda did when they upgraded it from 1 year to forever, but still.)

I actually totally forgot Morpheus is coming. Yeah, Sony can be at 30 million by the first day of 2016. This is really a revelation for those at Sony.

Also, where is Thunder Monkey for this thread?

Sorry been doing real world stuff today. Just got back.

This is truly impressive stuff. They will easily be at 17 million units by the end of this year if they've been upping production for the holidays, and passed the 20 million unit mark by next March if the quarterly units are maintained.

Okay that's all for now, still doing real world things today. I'll probably be one to expand in a few hours.

Yep. The Wii passed 10 million in a slightly shorter amount of time.

The Wii passed 10 million shipped in a slightly shorter amount of time than PS4 got to 10 million sold through.

Even if they were still 100% selling out this means that it took them longer to pass 10 million sales, because some portion of that 10 million would be sitting in warehouses, or on boats, or (a few) on shelves.

SSPssp

Disagree seeing how well apple products are selling over there

Apple products are a lot more popular and useful than Xbox or PlayStation 4 for that matter. The brand is stronger, and for a lot of people, it takes the place of a computer. Its also a status symbol. I don't think its a fair comparison. People are willing to save up or borrow for Apple products.

Percy

Banned
So I guess that Sony must be ecstatic that Nintendo is dead while MS is having problems with the console market?

Grats on the 10 million consoles sold Sony!

thomas-rolling-eyes-o.gif

And in the long gone yesteryear
Don Mattrick's words made Redmond cheer
"Ten million first shall win this race!"
He said, with grin upon his face.

"The coming battle shall be won right here,
With games like Halo and Forza and Gears."
He ended his statement with a triumphant nod
Secure in his love from the gaming gods

His words stoked fires among the fans
Each camp clenched swords in bloodied hands
The system warz began again
Three noble fighters, each sure to win

Microsoft, of course, had their white box
Sleek, and powerful, and filled with lots
Of games to play with friends new and old
Or even watch Netflix (if you paid for Gold)

The box upon which SCE was betting
Had power, confusion, and printer settings
The games would look and run so swell
If developers could handle the goddamn Cell

And in the third corner of the ring
Stood the tiny offering from the former king
An innovative waggle-box called the Wii
Would eventually win, quite handily

But fear not brave warriors! War is not through!
Nintendo returned with the shiny WiiU!
It's a console! It's a tablet! It's both things combined!
It's the word "underwhelming," redefined

The other two fighters each had a son
The 360 gave birth to the Xbox One
Underpowered, TV-focused, and chained to Kinect
It struggles to gain traction, or even respect

PS3's new child has shot up the charts
Sleek and powerful, with a gaming heart
It seems quite destined to stay far ahead
Unless Sony acts like Sony and shits in the bed

But now that Gamescom '14 is here at long last
Words did echo from deep in the past
"The first to 10 million shall win at all cost!"
Hung from Microsoft's neck like a stone albatross

So now Tokyo laughs as Redmond sneers
And Lara Croft's eyes well up with tears
For bad news has arrived for the mighty Xbone
PS4 was the first to reach Don's milestone

Nice!

Her name is Lara, though. Sorry for nitpicking.

Damn! Fixed :)

It's a shame Sony will be unable to save the Japanese console market. If they could have somehow succeeded there and managed to get Japanese development excited for consoles again it would have been amazing.

SFenton

Grats to Sony. Don't care for a PS4 as I'm happy with my Xbox (well, still debating if I'll pick one up for Amplitude, but that's about it), but it's a mighty impressive number.

Not that Squeenix has a record of making particularly good decisions in the past decade, but I highly doubt that they took the money under the impression that the install base ratio was going to be any better for XBone than it's been for the past several months. This isn't a Titanfall situation where nobody had any real idea how the generation was going to go at the time the contract was signed (well, they kinda did when they upgraded it from 1 year to forever, but still.)
I would bet on a February release for the PS4 version. SE can't ignore 25-30 million potential buyers when that game comes out.

Gator86

They can still turn it around, Sony was in a much worse place last gen and they ended the gen in a high note. Is implausible but not impossible.

I like how this post came directly beneath Amir0x's well-written post explaining exactly how impossible it is for MS to come back.

Congrats to Sony but I feel that Microsoft is talking the talk and walking the walk a lot more than they are, even if it's just for the last few months. They're still coasting on the mad hype of the PS4, but if things keep going the way they are now I can see Xbox catching up in sales (not any time soon, obviously, but eventually) as MS continue to innovate and serve the consumer more exciting and crowd-pleasing news.

Hahahaha, oh man, this thread delivers. My favorite part is "crowd-pleasing news", so good.

Mikey Jr.

I'm a realist by nature. The trajectory is essentially impossible for Microsoft. There is a nonzero statistical probability of it happening, but it's so close to zero as for a miracle being necessary for it to occur.

The reason it cannot happen is because even if Microsoft recovered in the USA, it'll never be able to close the gap due to Europe. Sony had Europe and Japan, which is why they covered the gap by the end. Microsoft does not even have that.

So, think about what will have to happen: Somehow, Microsoft is going to need to change the trajectory in America to start outselling PS4. Note, they have been unable to do this in either their Titanfall month or their pricedrop month. Then, after they finally start outselling Sony in America, they have to figure out a way to do the same in Europe, where it's significantly more dire. Where even the PS3 dominated Xbox 360 in many of these countries. So now, not only is the PS4 dominating in every European country - just running over it basically in every corner - but it's also winning significantly month to month in the US.

And the longer they go without starting to change all this, the even MORE impossible it becomes. By the end of this year, the impossibility becomes astronomical.

The same thing is true of your Wii U prediction. To put in perspective how bad it is, Nintendo would need to sell at least 150k a month or more every non-holiday month for the rest of the gen.. and then do better than expected during holidays... to reach even GCN numbers. They were unable to hit 150k even with Mario Kart 8, arguably one of the biggest games they are ever going to get.

Put some things in perspective.

Yep, the snowball is getting bigger and bigger as it rolls down the hill.

MS is losing more and more time as the snowball grows, and eventually, it will be too big to stop.

And Laura Croft's eyes well up with tears

Best post in thread.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
You guys are right, of course. I'm just being a dumb fool and trying to save some face. I backed the wrong horse and I feel like an absolute jackass now. My friend once bet me that the PS3 would overtake the 360 after 3 years on market and I mocked the sh*t out of him after he lost that bet because he was so smug and so confident that it would happen. Karma is f****** real. I know that now. I didn't even care except to rub it in his face and in the faces of people like him. "They'll win cause they're sony and they always win". I call it the sony smugness. F**** annoying.

So after the xb1/ps4 launches, he bet me that ps4 would have a 2:1 edge at the end of 2015. I took that bet and ran. Sure, Microsoft can't f*** this sh*t up that badly, can they? They had the damn dudebro's eating out of their damn hands. Holy sh*t. I was their #1 motherf**** fan. I deserve this because I couldn't take the high road when I won that initial bet. This sh** is PS2 vs. XB all over again damn. 125mil + to probably 38 mil if they're lucky. They're gonna 3:1 these asses. Now he's gonna have that sh** grin wide as the f***** mississippi when I see him in a couple months.

Sure they could maybe pull a "kinect" out of their asses again to make it more respectable but that's a long shot at best. These guys. These f******* guys. DRM. Shit hardware. F***** the indies early and often. Being cheap as f***** where it counted. Spending assloads of benjamins on NFL and other TV sh** no one gives two sh** about. $499 and mandatory kinect? Are you sh***** me? Where's the hidden cameras? Input One? How about Input None you epic friggin' fools. Now they're trying to play catch up like a fat man tryin' to catch a runaway dog. Lassie's long gone home muthaf****.

Sony's got you beat in every facet that matters: games, price, power, brand, mindshare, etc, etc. et muthaf**** c. You did this. You deserve all of this. You could have paid someone to come up with the worst possible way to launch a follow up console to the 360 and he wouldn't be able to come up with half the f*** up sh** they ended up with. Holy sh**. Unbelievable. I'm done.

shwimpy

Grats to Sony. Don't care for a PS4 as I'm happy with my Xbox (well, still debating if I'll pick one up for Amplitude, but that's about it), but it's a mighty impressive number.
Totally forgot about Amplitude... and I backed it no less. :p

Kinda surprised how varied the PS4 lineup is. There really is something for everyone.

Didn't you recently say you were buying the PS4 this fall because of a " bunch of remakes and remasters "?

If a bunch of remakes and remasters will get you to buy one but Tomorrows Children, Bloodborne, Rime, Tearaway, No Mans Sky, WiLD, etc. etc. make you shrug your shoulders and question everyone's happiness about things ... then yeah I don't know what to say.

I'm already enjoying the hell out of my PS4 personally, but this conference just blew the doors off it all. Best conference in a long, long, long time. Perhaps since the Sony 2009 conference which was loaded for bare also. Also, if you would stop looking at gaming in divisions such as " Indie " and " AAA " you might be able to enjoy what you see a bit more.

I mean if it were Naughty Dog announcing that they were making a project like WiLD, would you then consider it a worthwhile title?

It is not like these " indie " games are using pixel sprites and look like they belong on a 2001 release list. They are sporting some absolutely beautiful visuals.

Yes, and I realized how sad it was the last few days that my main buying points for the PS4 may end up being TLOU, Sleeping Dogs, GTAV, and Destiny. I decided to hold off after the initial "omg hype Sleeping Dogs" feeling I had, haha. And Wild is on my list of the main reasons I'll be picking up a PS4 sometime next year. I just wish most of the games available on the PS4 had that kind of innovation or style. It's a very small minority. That's what I am mainly getting at.

SFenton

I'm a realist by nature. The trajectory is essentially impossible for Microsoft. There is a nonzero statistical probability of it happening, but it's so close to zero as for a miracle being necessary for it to occur.

The reason it cannot happen is because even if Microsoft recovered in the USA, it'll never be able to close the gap due to Europe. Sony had Europe and Japan, which is why they covered the gap by the end. Microsoft does not even have that.

So, think about what will have to happen: Somehow, Microsoft is going to need to change the trajectory in America to start outselling PS4. Note, they have been unable to do this in either their Titanfall month or their pricedrop month. Then, after they finally start outselling Sony in America, they have to figure out a way to do the same in Europe, where it's significantly more dire. Where even the PS3 dominated Xbox 360 in many of these countries. So now, not only is the PS4 dominating in every European country - just running over it basically in every corner - but it's also winning significantly month to month in the US.

And the longer they go without starting to change all this, the even MORE impossible it becomes. By the end of this year, the impossibility becomes astronomical.

The same thing is true of your Wii U prediction. To put in perspective how bad it is, Nintendo would need to sell at least 150k a month or more every non-holiday month for the rest of the gen.. and then do better than expected during holidays... to reach even GCN numbers. They were unable to hit 150k even with Mario Kart 8, arguably one of the biggest games they are ever going to get.

Put some things in perspective.

This is a fair evaluation. My question, then, is, even if Microsoft loses, is it necessarily a bad venture?

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

609485983.gif

Occam

Nice!

Her name is Lara, though. Sorry for nitpicking.

Top Bottom