• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New SILENT HILL by Hideo Kojima & Guillermo Del Toro starring Norman Reedus

Slowdive

Banned
2014-08-1317_05_43-tw0ksqb.png

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but why are Reedus and Del Toro even involved?

Isn't this the type of bloat that gets these AAA publishers in trouble? Other than marketing, I don't see what Reedus adds to the product. Historical precedent would lead me to believe that a professional voice actor would lend a better performance anyways.

Help sell the game first of all as Horror is a hard sell to the masses and people like Daryl Dixon

But maybe mocap cutscenes too where they need actual actors to play out stuff as Kojima is big into that

Somebody else may have already came up with this theory, but I'll post it anyway just in case.

What if Silent HillS is hinting at multiplayer? And to further the theory, part of the trailer says, and I'm paraphrasing because I'm at work, but I think it basically says, "I'm the only me, are you sure you're the only you?" So maybe it will have some Souls-esque invasions? Or maybe you'll see other players seamlessly and freak you the eff out?

I'm excited, either way.

jett

D-Member
Has nobody figured out how to beat this thing? Right now I'm assuming the people that have simply lucked out/glitched into the ending.

SDCowboy

Somebody else may have already came up with this theory, but I'll post it anyway just in case.

What if Silent HillS is hinting at multiplayer? And to further the theory, part of the trailer says, and I'm paraphrasing because I'm at work, but I think it basically says, "I'm the only me, are you sure you're the only you?" So maybe it will have some Souls-esque invasions? Or maybe you'll see other players seamlessly and freak you the eff out?

I'm excited, either way.

I don't think so. The PT game seems to focus heavily on alternate realities which, IMO, points to similar in the new Silent Hill game, thus the Hill(s).

legacyzero

Banned

I'm excited, either way.

That would actually be kinda cool.. And if Silent Hill 2 is anything to go by, peoples nightmares overlapping would be pretty huge.

But... I would rather just have my OWN experience without any kind of multiplayer interaction.

DNAbro

That would actually be kinda cool.. And if Silent Hill 2 is anything to go by, peoples nightmares overlapping would be pretty huge.

But... I would rather just have my OWN experience without any kind of multiplayer interaction.

I think it may be more related to alternate realties, than multiplayer. Same place but different was the main idea of the pt demo.

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but why are Reedus and Del Toro even involved?

Isn't this the type of bloat that gets these AAA publishers in trouble? Other than marketing, I don't see what Reedus adds to the product. Historical precedent would lead me to believe that a professional voice actor would lend a better performance anyways.

Del Toro is a fucking amazing creature designer, and given that he's a great writer too I'm sure his creature design will have a great subliminal meaning and back story for their design.

Silky

Banned
Del Toro a bad writter? What?
Have you seen Pans Labrynth, Espinazo del Diablo, Cronos, even Hellboy?
Pans Labrynth is a masterpiece.

1 great film (Hellboy) and 1 decent film (Pan) amist a catalogue of poorly written flicks. Blade II and Mimic being huge stinkers.

Silky

Banned
Decent film? In what world do you live in where that's only a decent film? Personal opinion aside look at the critical reception.

Pan has stellar art direction, and that is a key trait that del Toro excels in. Look at the accolades for that film, most--if not all are for the art or makeup or cinematography. No one fucking praises Pan for it's writing.

del Toro is a great fit for SH in regards to monster design. Environment design? .....maybe not. Which is what I fear the most will be botched. Writing? Kojima and Del Toro together? Disaster.

gaming_noob

I couldn't walk past our dark narrow hallway at 5am in the morning. Had to wake my gf up to get to the washroom. All because of that picture of the scary woman in the red lit hallway...

Pan has stellar art direction, and that is a key trait that del Toro excels in. Look at the accolades for that film, most--if not all are for the art or makeup or cinematography. No one fucking praises Pan for it's writing.

del Toro is a great fit for SH in regards to monster design. Environment design? .....maybe not. Which is what I fear the most will be botched. Writing? Kojima and Del Toro together? Disaster.

Considering we've yet to see how the two work together outside of PT (which even then, we don't know the extent of their input), I wouldn't say it's fair to outright say the two collaborating will be a disaster.

legacyzero

Banned

I think Kojima has done a great job at proving that he can mess with you psychologically. The PT demo also shows that IMO.

Silky

Banned
Considering we've yet to see how the two work together outside of PT (which even then, we don't know the extent of their input), I wouldn't say it's fair to outright say the two collaborating will be a disaster.

past history and experience with these two gives me no hope.

I think Kojima has done a great job at proving that he can mess with you psychologically. The PT demo also shows that IMO.

Kojima hasn't done anything on the caliber of The End in a long time.

Shame I can't play P.T

Kiru

I just watched the whole recorded 2 hours from the girl. Man shit was scary at times. Amazing marketing stunt for a Silent Hill reveal.

Chindogg

1 great film (Hellboy) and 1 decent film (Pan) amist a catalogue of poorly written flicks. Blade II and Mimic being huge stinkers.

Mimic was his first film ever, which even he admits he made many mistakes.

Blade 2 was the best in the Blade series and heralded by many as one of the best Marvel films pre-Whedon.

Ridley327

Mimic really isn't entirely his fault, as he had a producer who was doing everything in his power to fire him, and his father was being held for ransom by kidnappers in Guadalajara. That we got anything even halfway watchable was a minor miracle.

BGMNTS

Kojima + Guillermo del torro + Norman reedus

And I've always wanted to try a silent hill game

Fair enough. I don't really like much about that combo myself.

I'd say you should definitely play some older Silent Hill games though, they're great.

I worked through this for about two hours last night. Absolutely one of the creepiest experiences I've ever had in this medium.

I did not 'complete' it. I think I'll try again tonight.
I never got
the second baby laugh, nor the phone ringing.
I was getting way too mind-fucked and had to go to bed.

But yeah... overall I love it.
For me there was just such a great feeling of isolation, dread, and confusion- three things I'd relate to the best of the SH series. Sure, this might have absolutely nothing to do with Silent Hills when it's all said and done, but the atmosphere was there for me.
Yes, there were some generic horror ideas here and there, but the way this whole little 'experience' was crafted actually gives me a lot of hope for whatever Kojima/Del Toro might be cooking up.

I also trust Kojima might try to pull in Yamaoka and Ito. Anyone that knows Silent Hill knows those two individuals are crucial. My only concern with Del Toro is that he might try just handling all creature aspects himself. That's fine, as he's great at that, but Ito's work is an absolute clear visual representation of Silent Hill. An artistic collaboration between Del Toro and Ito... my god... I honestly can't even imagine.

It would be nice to see other missing-in-action members of Team Silent drawn back in; guys like Imamura, Owaku, Tsuboyama, etc... but I'm not holding my breath. I'd really just be happy with Yamaoka at this point.

Anyway- I love everything about this. Great reveal, great mystery, neat experience all around. Hopefully we hear more soon. :)

Nemesis_

The enemy design is already off if we're only going off what we saw in PT, which is a very important aspect of a Silent Hill game. Hoping that'll be fixed as time goes by.

I always did say that this particular enemy (Asphyxia) looked straight out of a del Toro film though, although that's ostensibly because of that eye creature in Pan's Labyrinth too: --

411px-Asphyxia_final.jpg

I assume you're not being literal because plenty of reviews praise the writing and the directing. If being pretty was everything that was needed for good critical reception then Moms Needs Mars would be an Academy award winner.

Ridley327

OMFG YESSSSSSSS !!! CANT CONTAIN THE HYPE!!! PLEASE TELL ME AKIRA YAMAOKA IS DOING THE OST PLEASEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! *hyperventilates*

IIRC, Yamaoka has said he'd be OK with scoring another Silent Hill, but the ball would be in Konami's court. Given that he's currently employed at Grasshopper Manufacture, who aren't hurting for work right now, it might be really tough to get him back.

Conezays

I worked through this for about two hours last night. Absolutely one of the creepiest experiences I've ever had in this medium.

I did not 'complete' it. I think I'll try again tonight.
I never got
the second baby laugh, nor the phone ringing.
I was getting way too mind-fucked and had to go to bed.

But yeah... overall I love it.
For me there was just such a great feeling of isolation, dread, and confusion- three things I'd relate to the best of the SH series. Sure, this might have absolutely nothing to do with Silent Hills when it's all said and done, but the atmosphere was there for me.
Yes, there were some generic horror ideas here and there, but the way this whole little 'experience' was crafted actually gives me a lot of hope for whatever Kojima/Del Toro might be cooking up.

I also trust Kojima might try to pull in Yamaoka and Ito. Anyone that knows Silent Hill knows those two individuals are crucial. My only concern with Del Toro is that he might try just handling all creature aspects himself. That's fine, as he's great at that, but Ito's work is an absolute clear visual representation of Silent Hill. An artistic collaboration between Del Toro and Ito... my god... I honestly can't even imagine.

It would be nice to see other missing-in-action members of Team Silent drawn back in; guys like Imamura, Owaku, Tsuboyama, etc... but I'm not holding my breath. I'd really just be happy with Yamaoka at this point.

Anyway- I love everything about this. Great reveal, great mystery, neat experience all around. Hopefully we hear more soon. :)

Agree with everything you said, also stopped at the same point in the game, haha.

Decent film? In what world do you live in where that's only a decent film? Personal opinion aside look at the critical reception.

In what world does he live that Hellboy is better than Pan's Labyrinth?...

I think his writing's just fine, not the best but not Transformers-level bad.

Environment design, dude, what are you talking about? Maybe he's not experienced making levels for a game, but his sets in movies are always amazing looking, practically characters themselves. Pan's Labyrinth and "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark" (which he didn't direct but produced and was heavily involved in the art direction, as far as I know) are good examples of really great environment/set design.

So is this exclusive or not? I hate when companies are ambiguous.

Ambiguous means no. Outright stating its multiplatform doesn't help their cause and they aren't outright lying by being silent. They just hope people believe it is because of the reveal.

If this game was exclusive, they would have made it a huge announcement. See TR (even if timed for PC).

Z0mbicide

Banned

I barely remember any dialogue from the SH games, but the environments and enemies? Absolutely. Why is everyone hung up on the writing?? Do you think he'll mess up the line: "There was a hole here, but it's gone now."

Lime

My post on the status of former Team Silent members from the other thread in case anyone's interested:

• Shingo Yuri (character artist) is still at Konami, where he worked on MGS5 Ground Zeroes as a character artist
  • Norihito Hatakeda (graphics engine programmer) last worked on Ground Zeroes as a Lead Level Editor Engineer.
  • Minako Asano (character artist) last worked on Neverdead as a character artist
  • Masahiro Ito (monster design) is working as a freelancer with a couple of contractual jobs for Konami related to Silent Hill
  • Akira Yamaoka (sound director) is working for Grasshopper, as many may know
  • Last I heard, Hiroyuki Owaku (snecario writer SH1-3) is writing for mobile dating sims for Konami
  • Masashi Tsuboyama (director/designer) last made a game for Nintendo (Locksley's Lineup)
  • Suguru Murakoshi (drama animation/director) last worked on MGS4 for Konami. No idea what he's doing now.
  • Takayoshi Sato (cgi director and character artist) last worked on Moonbase Alpha for NASA (it's an educational game) for the company Virtual Heroes Inc..
  • No idea what Sachiko Sugawara is doing.
  • Kazuhide Nakazawa (character and monster motion) last worked on MGS Peace Walker. No idea what he's doing now.
  • Gozo Kitao (producer) last worked on MGS4. No idea what he's doing now.

I teaser had genuine horror elements and great atmosphere but was killed on me after that once I felt I was just aimlessly stuck in a loop trying to figure stuff out. But otherwise showed promise for a true SH game.

I barely remember any dialogue from the SH games, but the environments and enemies? Absolutely. Why is everyone hung up on the writing?? Do you think he'll mess up the line: "There was a hole here, but it's gone now."

This.
But I think most people think of writing as the story mostly. Like me, they want the big twist at the end and they're afraid Kojima/Del Toro won't deliver.
Imho, they totally will.

Top Bottom