• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's Next Project - 'New Halo 3 Campaign Experience'

Brainboy

GhaleonEB said:
Hmmm. If it's New Mombassa, it's been re-imagined. The space tether + white explosion made me thing it was, but visually it was very different in Halo 2.

But when it says Lumumba.0624 in the bottom right hand corner, you can see:
<evacuate>
CITY
OF
NEW
MOMBASA

at the top.

I think the different places that are shown (Tanaga, Lumumba, Mbaraki) are different parts of New Mombasa, and the number with them is simply their ID number of sorts.
2552 happens to be the number of Mbaraki, where those drop things appear. Coincidence? Maybe.

EDIT: It also says City of New Mombasa under the Superintendent icon when he's rebooting.

SuperPac

DancingJesus said:
People are pissed because this announcement was delayed 3 months only to find the trailer explains absolutely nothing. I think it's a reasonable complaint. It doesn't bother me, but I still would of liked the water to be cleared up.

Not only does it explain nothing, but it's got nothing to get excited for. It'd be like a Star Wars teaser with no light sabers, no action, no darth vader breathing and no John Williams music. I can't say I'm terribly surprised Microsoft decided not to show this at E3. It doesn't matter if "that's how Bungie does things" -- it's a bad teaser. Especially since it's just for more Halo.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Also... we know Bungie + its fans are disappointed with H2... could this be a chance for redemption? To finish that story properly???

Treo360

SnapzProXScreenSnapz001.jpg

SnapzProXScreenSnapz002.jpg

MarkMacD

So wait....the plumber flies in from space?! Does Kotaku have the details yet?!?! Looks pretty high-concept for a 2D XBLA Mario clone!

Falagard said:
Haha oh man.

A mixture of disappointment in having no clear idea who the enemy is going to be, and excitement at the idea of playing as helljumpers.

The set up is clear - this is New Mombasa right after the explosion. Helljumpers were jumping in as reinforcements just as the explosion was taking place. Then some time after the explosion takes place, a solitary ODST comes jumping down.

Who are you fighting? Remaining Covenant forces?

The reason this is a Halo 3 expansion and not Halo 4 is because you're not fighting as the Master Chief.

Also, I predicted a long time ago that Bungie might re-use the Halo 3 engine for their next game instead of going back to the drawing board and creating a whole new engine. A lot of time was invested in the Halo 3 engine and toolset and it makes sense to release another game using the same engine instead of spending 2 years on development technology while at the same time attempting to build a game on top of new and technology.

It makes sense in the same way that we might actually see 3 Mass Effect games in this console generation because they're using a well established engine.

That means awesome water effects confirmed!!!!!!!

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
Mr Vociferous said:
Curious about the Halo 3 reference myself, but it's clear that we're watching ODST HEVs fall from the sky into various cities or districts which appear to be in Africa. It's also clear that these events take place in 2552, around the time of the trilogy. It looks like a completely different game using the Halo 3 engine, but other than that I can't figure out what the Halo 3 reference really is.

I think it's a single-player expansion, putting you in the shoes of the mop-up party ODST marines to cleanse New Mombasa, right after Master Chief has hitched a ride on the hyperspace jump from the Covenant ship that departed in the middle of New Mombasa. can't recall the mission or ship name.

It's obvious that the explosion is caused by the hyperspace jump (same light intensity, city, height, etc), as it was in Halo 3. The City-AI (superintendent?) was offline after the blast, went online again and saw one more ODST landing (you?).

You will be cleaning up the streets and kicking the Covenant out, ODST-style once and for all. RECLAIM NEW MOMBASA FOR THE HUMAN RACE!

It's new mombasa, but watch after the explosion, the tether is still standing. So it's not the slipspace explosion. This is taking place before the events of Halo 3, possibly before Halo 2. Is this the opening salvo on earth?

If this is going back to Halo 2 days, we get to see elites again.

More and more this is looking like a campaign expansion, i just want to see how it changes.

joey_z

Banned
RSTEIN said:
Question: given that the achievements are already fired up, plus this is just a campaign expansion... can we expect it THIS HOLIDAY???

haha. Given Bungie's track with release dates? I doubt it.

Revengeance said:
I think that the reveal MS canceled would have been more extensive. For them to incite the ire of Bungie fans over a 1 minute teaser? Doesn't seem worth it. (damn - beated by dirtbag)

Now that we're well past the E3 craziness, I'd expect the drip feed to commence.

Also - campaign expansion!! Holla.

I wouldn't be surprised if MS and Bungie fought over something simple like what to name it.

Bungie wanted to a spin off. But MS felt they could still sell more copies of Halo3 so they wanted to call it a Halo3 expansion. And thus we don't get the official name of the game yet but Halo3 is flashed in front of us in 2 different fonts so that we know it's a Halo3 game.

Also they didn't want to confuse the market with the in development Halo4 which is the real sequel.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
electricpirate said:
It's new mombasa, but watch after the explosion, the tether is still standing. So it's not the slipspace explosion. This is taking place before the events of Halo 3, possibly before Halo 2. Is this the opening salvo on earth?

Yup. This looks to be the initial assault on New Mombassa, prior to MC's arrival.

Uncle

Hero said:
Did it really need to be unveiled like this and shrouded in mystery?

Yeah..! Do companies really need to market their stuff and create hype for the wares they peddle? I think not!

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I'm interested to see exactly what this all mens. If it is DLC, can we expect it soon... Like very soon?

Bring on TGS!

34pj4tk.jpg

Lakitu

st5fu
Am I the only happy one? As long as there is no Flood I'm all for it! But I wish this was more of a continuation of MC's story at the end of Halo 3...but then that'd be Halo 4.

Uncle

MarkMacD said:
So wait....the plumber flies in from space?! Does Kotaku have the details yet?!?! Looks pretty high-concept for a 2D XBLA Mario clone!

I'm wondering will the plumber ever run out of going back in time potion.

joey_z said:
haha. Given Bungie's track with release dates? I doubt it.

You mean where Halo 3 was released a month ahead of expectations and the first Halo was basically built in 9 months?

Bungie delayed Halo 2 heavily, but 2/3 games out of MS have come out on time.

I also doubt we'll be seeing it this year, but I think an early spring date would be totally feasible.

segarr

Revengeance said:
I think that the reveal MS canceled would have been more extensive. For them to incite the ire of Bungie fans over a 1 minute teaser? Doesn't seem worth it. (damn - beated by dirtbag)

Now that we're well past the E3 craziness, I'd expect the drip feed to commence.

Also - campaign expansion!! Holla.
Jeez. Bungie can do no wrong to some people. This is what they had to show. It just got blown of of proportion and made to be more than it was by Bungie's hyping.

GhaleonEB

Lakitu said:
Am I the only happy one? As long as there is no Flood I'm all for it! But I wish this was more of a continuation of MC's story at the end of Halo 3...but then that'd be Halo 4.
New Halo 3 campaign from Bungie featuring ODSTs.

I'm fucking thrilled.

OP updated for that last time, FWIW. Interesting trail of breadcrumbs.

Dartastic

Francias Castiglione said:
Ugh. A 2D XBLA Mario clone would have been better than MORE Halo. Who even likes Halo anyway??

Francias Castiglione
so bitter
(Today, 07:45 AM)

Anyway, I'm up for some more Halo 3 campaign action, especially if it's DLC. Rah!

Shafto

Ajemsuhgao said:
There's a Covenant Capital Ship flying in the background at 0:12...

Well spotted!

It's just before 0:12, and it's just a nose popping out from behind a building!

Must be the Halo 2 jump.

TDG

Banned
SuperPac said:
It doesn't matter if "that's how Bungie does things" -- it's a bad teaser. Especially since it's just for more Halo.
Well let's see, it's vague, it's filled with tiny little hints, and it gives people a lot to think about. Sounds like a good teaser to me.

Besides, it was figured out long ago that SI was connected with Halo. It's nobody's fault but your own that you came into the trailer with ignorant expectations.

Chinner

Banned
voltron said:
the achievements have nothing to do with it.
I wouldn't say that just yet. Those new skull achievements that we believed to be naming mutiplayer maps could be actually naming levels.

MarkMacD said:
lol.

Falagard, I agree with everything you said. All of it. Queue the Firefly doods.

Also, if Section One is involved, you can be sure that their mission is more than just mopping up the Covenant forces that remain. They're either looking for the Ark's gateway portal based on intel captured from Regret's fleet -OR- they're the squad which grabs the Chief on the way back down to Earth -OR- maybe both. I'm assuming with Cocop that the space tether falls at some point during the game, possibly as a set piece, since we know that it has fallen by the start of Halo 3 directly due to the slipspace jump Regret made.

chapel

Banned
Scanning through the video, I saw the text wall and went frame by frame.

d80e32b5b6f6f55cb0f6cd44e2986617.png

There is a typical bungie date and time in there.

01/06/09+221291

Seems to me to be a release date I would assume.

Edit: Looked through some more and found another 010609 in the text.

194c7f8e4edb59561a210e6adad9182f.png

Walshicus

They've hinted heavily that one of their projects is far closer to release than people would expect... at least that's how I've read it. Hope so - would love to be playing this for Christmas.

Chinner said:
I wouldn't say that just yet. Those new skull achievements that we believed to be naming mutiplayer maps could be actually naming levels.

No, as I stated before, because one of the Skulls is on the map "Assembly". Which we already know about.

segarr

One thing that excites me is the prospect of more Earth battles. I wanted that from H2 and H3 but didn't get my fill. Hopefully with this I can really feel like I'm saving Earth.

voltron

Chinner said:

Im telling you guys, the achievements have nithing to do with it. Assembly has already been confirmed as a MP map.... and there is an achievement for finding the skull on assembly.

There is achievements for MP based activities on the MYTHIC maps, aswell as an achievement for finding all skulls on the Mythic maps.

The achievements ARE NOT FOR THIS TEASER.

Top Bottom